Ally
Gandalf's Beard
Pettytyrant101
23 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 5 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post by Ally Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:17 pm

The dark feeling of the show definitely worked for me, but did anyone else feel that the way it was scripted, made it really obvious that the BBC are trying to make it more export friendly to the USA? It just felt "less British", maybe that's just because of the new found darkness, I'm not really sure.

I'm unable to comment on how America will take it, but if it's successful, maybe it will reinvent family programs in America!

(I loved the episode though; so many layers of plot, character devt, time paradoxes etc etc. and doesn't look like the Silence is too dependent on the Gentlemen despite the suits and the name - not sure what they what's going to happen with them, but can't wait to find out!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I didn't think it was any darker than usual Shocked and at no point did I think that it might upset Squach when she sees it!

As for the 'screamer' reference, I think that goes back to innocence or lack of it, you only see it as risque if you get the joke and most young kids won't!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Overall viewing figures for Doctor Who were not so good sadly.

From the BBc website-

'The first episode in the new series of Doctor Who was watched by an average audience of 6.5 million viewers, according to overnight viewing figures.
On a sunny day in parts of the UK, that was down from the eight million recorded by overnight figures on Matt Smith's show debut in April 2010.
The Impossible Astronaut had an average audience share of 36.7%. Figures peaked at seven million.
While final consolidated viewing figures - which include playback on recording devices - will push ratings higher, The Impossible Astronaut is likely to be the least watched series opener since Doctor Who was relaunched in 2005.'

And mixed newspaper reviews it seems.

'The new episode was described by the Daily Telegraph as a "wordy episode which concentrated more on atmosphere than pace and visual thrills".
Thanks, in part to "fizzing dialogue" and "a great concept" for a new monster, it was "a cracking start" to the new series, the paper added.

The Los Angeles Times, reviewing the programme because it is shown on BBC America, said Smith had "screwed into this role good and tight", praising his Doctor as "an ancient child, an unstable mix of authority and impulsiveness".

But Kevin O'Sullivan, writing in the Sunday Mirror, said the episode was called The Impossible Astronaut because it was "impossible to understand" complaining that "this ball of all-round confusion was no way to start a series". The episode had been written for "strictly sci-fi nerds only", he added.'

Regards the viewing figures it has to be noted figures were down across all channels thanks to the good weather. I have always thought its madness to put Who on at this time of yhear- it should be shown only on dark winter nights.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:58 pm

These are the only US reviews of the opening episode I have been able to find. Seems its like marmite- you either loved it or hated it.

Rick Marshall of MTV:
Steven Moffat and the "Doctor Who" crew offer up yet another great episode with Toby Haynes behind the camera — though the episode's big cliffhanger will likely cause more than a few fans' heads to explode. Much like they did in "A Christmas Carol," the cast and creative team show a knack for playing with the wibbly-wobbily nature of time and keeping things moving at a pace that prevents you from pondering the criss-crossed timelines The Doctor leaves in his wake.

Robert Lloyd of the Los Angeles Times:
One year in, Matt Smith is screwed into this role good and tight. Like many a mythological figure, his Doctor is an ancient child, an unstable mix of authority and impulsiveness. "I'm being extremely clever up here, and there's no one to stand around looking impressed," he says irritably, his three friends having gone off to discuss something he can't be allowed to know. "What's the point of having you all?"
What "Doctor Who" gives us, that so much science fiction does not nowadays with its pathological analysis of heroism, are romantic mad adventurers, not without their moments of doubt and pain but having a good time in between: The series conducts its serious business with a good deal of comedy. (These opening episodes are very funny, even by local standards.) That's not to say the darkness doesn't get in, within and without them; indeed, stories have gone repeatedly to the brink of nothingness — the extermination of the Earth, the unweaving of reality.

Matthew Milam, Chicago Now
A few minutes into it, under the pen of current executive producer Steven Moffat, I came to realize one thing. The people behind the scenes of Doctor Who are beginning to run out of energy. As a result, they have run out of ideas. .... Doctor Who used to be a show that was fun. A show that never took itself seriously and a show that had the sense to cast good actors in the role who could take the most typical of science fiction plots and give them a new life. ... I cry because no one, including the actors, seem to be fighting for the show anymore. I cry because I believe I have officially come to the close conclusion that Doctor Who needs to retire again. Perhaps, I dare say it, forever. ... The reason I say cancel Doctor Who is not because I am a spiteful arse. I have written some good reviews for Doctor Who on Blogcritics. The problem is that good episodes of Doctor Who are far and few between. Even in the classic series that was an issue, but at least it felt like there was some attempt at making the characters connect with you. Maybe, just maybe, the BBC in now seeing this as a cash cow don't feel the need to develop strong stories, or even cast good actors for the show.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Just had to share this. A friend sent me me a link to it knowing what I huge fan I am of Genesis of the Daleks (the only Dalek story after the original I really like). A rather neat fan trailer for it. Makes me want to go watch it all again!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 am

Now the new series is underway with a bang seems a good time to relive moments from the last series that made the hairs on my neck stand up! Starting with the opening episodes finale speech and Matt Smith claiming the role with aplomb. Enjoy.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Well tonights episode was great!
And so many questions.....
Pregnant or not (and is that a temporal dependant answer?)
Why Amys pic - is she mum?
And if so - why the regeneration?
Is she the Doctors daughter? (Jenny is still out there somewhere!)
Now Rivers kissed the doctor what are the future stories (or rivers past) going to show us?
Is that the end of the silence? or is more coming? or are they still here?

He's done it again, just with the weeping Angels Moffats got me looking over me shoulder at things I know are not real, but can't shake the creepy feeling of!!!

One thing I wanted to mention is how much Rory seems to be coming into his own tis series, he is genuinely a companion of the Doctors, no tthe love rival, or boyfriend who can't deal with the whole tardis thing (like Mickey with Rose) his interaction with River and the Doctor as part of the team is great this year and the way he got behind Rivers 'we can't tell the doctor' even when Amy wouldn't accept it. Really lie this dynamic and gives the whole thing much more scope! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Roll on next week!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Yes I too really enjoyed this opening two parter- one critiscms was it should have been a 3 or even 4 parter- the solution felt a bit rushed, neat as it was.
I like the full Tardis, lots of companions, reminds me of the Davidson Tardis. As to the Silence- well when Rory and the Doctor are talking the Doctor is reluctant about what to do and compares the situation to Rome, to which Rory replies, "Rome Fell." Given the Doctor succeded in defeating the Silence did not then Silence Fall? Just a thought. Is the Dcotr creating the very circumstances he has been looking out for?
And with River, well clearly from her point of view, she and the Doctor are an item and snog a lot, making her realization that for her that was the last kiss ever all the saddier (next time she sees the Doctor its the Pandorica, and he knows her less and less-they never kiss again).
Amy's pregnancy- I have not got a clue- the marks that appear on Amy's face in the orphanage appear out of nowhere- implying she has been there a long time marking them off, but that sdoesn't fit, someone would have noticed her abscence. And when she approaches the room the mystery women at the hatch says she is 'dreaming'. I think that whole section was part of a delusional state, brought on by whatever the Silence were doing to her in that other tardis console room. Beyond that I've no idea whats going on, but I'm really enjoying not knowing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Yes the not knowings great, and at least you get partial resolution, unlike tings like Lost that just ramp the confusion with no real answers.

End of the episode had me grinning and Squach goin 'what...' in frustration repeatedly!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Mmm, just watched the two parter back to back- here's my thoughts.
The Silence lot need certain things it seems. They don't make anything themselves, but use some sort of hypnotic suggestion to get people to do stuff for them. One of the things they need, for reasons unknown, is a space suit- which the girl ends up inside of, and Amy Pond, because she will bring the Silence, somehow.
The tardis thing is like the one from the Lodger episode, and it needed a pilot- given the Silence dont make anything and humans can't make one it must have come from somewhere else- so there's a tardis on earth, at least one maybe two or more.
So are the Silence trying to get a compatible pilot for their tardis? Or is the little girl a survivor from a crashed tardis? Making her a time lord.
And what has Amy to do with the tardis the Silence have? She seems to be in there days, the Silence tell her, her part is nearly over- so whatever they were doing they pretty much finished by the time the Doctor arrives.
But surely strangest of all is the eye-patch women at the hatch in the door who says "I think she is still dreaming" before her and the hatch cease to have existed- is Amy dreaming at this point? And if so when is the dream taking place and where? Is it even Amy who is the dreamer?
The 'dream', if it is, seems to start when she noticed all the marks she has put on herself, indicating encounters- but there are way to many for her to haver been stuck in that room for so long, and why would she make marks anymore anyway?She has the recorder in the palm of her hand. And if she was dreaming then the room was a dream, as was the photograph. But the tardis scanner thinks she is pregnant, then not, tne yes, then no- is that normal for a pregnancy on a time machine?! Who knows? Argh Moffat you are making my head spin- but in a good way you devil. (And I didn't even mention River Song!)
Anyone got any theories as to whats going on? scratch

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 am

Well, I just saw my first episode of Doctor Who yesterday, and it was pretty interesting!!!
Kind of reminded me of Sherlock Holmes (the one with Martin Freeman as Watson). Looking forward to doing some homework on it Wink

Doctor Who - Page 5 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 am

Tinuviel wrote:Well, I just saw my first episode of Doctor Who yesterday, and it was pretty interesting!!!
Kind of reminded me of Sherlock Holmes (the one with Martin Freeman as Watson). Looking forward to doing some homework on it Wink

Oh, I found it ever so confusing - though that's what you get when you watch it with 15 noisy members of your family, all laughing at some vaguely funny reference to Nixon or whatever- after watching it once more yesterday I understand most of it...I think!

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 02, 2011 11:37 am

'Kind of reminded me of Sherlock Holmes (the one with Martin Freeman as Watson)'- Tin

Thats not suprising Tin- its the same writing team headed by Stephen Moffat that writes them both.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue May 03, 2011 3:12 am

Then they are quite clever and intelligent Idea

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 03, 2011 10:47 am

Sherlock Who?

Don't know if this is going to be a regular thing but as with the Impossible Astronaut the BBC have made a 'prequel' short for the nextg episode "Curse of the Black Spot"

Neil Gaiman has written an episode for this series (if you don't know who he is he is one of the most respected fantasy/sci-fi/comic writers currently working- although I still prefer Grant Morrison!- if they ask him to write one my head might explode). But heres what Gaiman had to say about getting to write an episode of Who;

“Getting to write a Doctor Who episode, for me anyway, was probably the nearest to being God that I have ever been or will ever get,” Gaiman told Newsarama. “I remember a similar feeling of megalomaniac power for about fifteen minutes in 1988 when I got to write my first Batman line. I got to bring on Batman and write dialogue for Batman and, I’m making Batman talk. But making Batman talk does not actually compare to the feeling of glorious power you get the moment you type, ‘Interior TARDIS.’”

"I just saw my first episode of Doctor Who yesterday,"-Tin

Meant to ask Tin which episode was it?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 pm

the newest one i think, there were these aliens that erased your memory, and I think Nixon was in it...

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Yeah thats the latest one Tin. If you have the time I would recommend watching at least some of last series as that series and this one share some plot lines. Although Doctor Who is generally designed for newbies to jump right in- probably about 4 or 5 episodes that are a must watch and a coupe of scenes from others pertaining to the overall stroy arc.
Episode one can (amazingly) currently be found on youtube- doubt it will last long so watch while you can!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat May 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Great episode today, just goes to show you don't need a massive cast to make something good! Definitely one of my all time favourite episodes! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm

I was hoping Gaimans script wouldn't disappoint and it didn't. For a life long Whovian that was beautiful, touching, poignant and moved along at a great pace. Superb performances and best episode of the series so far I reckon!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Spoilers! Spoilers! Wooo! Wooo! Spoiler Alert!

Gaimans episode was so good, the script littered with stuff to make chills through a Whovian so heres some of my favourite dialogue- wonderful stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: You gave me hope and then you took it away. That's enough to make anyone dangerous. God knows what it'll do to me. Basically, run!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: I don't understand. Who are you?

Idris: Do you really not know me? Just because they put me in here?

The Doctor: They said you were dangerous.

Idris: Not the cage, stupid. In here. They put me in here. I'm the... Oh, what do you call me? We travel. I go {she makes the TARDIS sound}.

The Doctor: The TARDIS?

Idris: Time and Relative Dimension in Space. Yes that's it. Names are funny. It's me. I'm the TARDIS.

The Doctor: No you're not! You're a bitey mad lady. The TARDIS is up-and-downy stuff in a big blue box.

Idris: Yes, that's me. A type 40 TARDIS. I was already a museum piece when you were young. And the first time you touched my console, you said—

The Doctor: I said you were the most beautiful thing I'd ever known.

Idris: Then you stole me. And I stole you.

The Doctor: I borrowed you.

Idris: Borrowing implies the eventual intention to return the thing that was taken. What makes you think I would ever give you back?

-------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: Oo. Sorry. Do you have a name?

Idris: Seven hundred years, finally he asks.

The Doctor: And what do I call you?

Idris: I think you call me... Sexy.

The Doctor: Only when we're alone.

Idris: We are alone.

The Doctor: Oh. Come on then, Sexy.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: Yes. Yes, I have actually rebuilt a TARDIS before, you know. I know what I'm doing.

Idris: You're like a nine-year-old trying to rebuild a motorbike in his bedroom. And you never read the instructions.

The Doctor: I always read the instructions.

Idris: There's a sign on my front door. You have been walking past it for seven hundred years. What does it say?

The Doctor: That's not instructions!

Idris: There's an instruction at the bottom. What does it say?

The Doctor: "Pull to open."

Idris: Yes, and what do you do?

The Doctor: I push!

Idris: Every single time. Seven hundred years. Police box doors open out the way.

The Doctor: You know, since we're talking with mouths—not really an opportunity that comes along very often—I just want to say, you know you have never been very reliable.

Idris: And you have?

The Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.

Idris: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.

The Doctor: You did.

Idris: Do you ever wonder why I chose you all those years ago?

The Doctor: I chose you. You were unlocked.

Idris: Of course I was. I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: She's a woman. And she's the TARDIS.

Amy: Did you wish really hard?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The House: Fear me. I've killed hundreds of Time Lords.

The Doctor: Fear me. I've killed all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor: What do you think, dear? Huh? Where should we take the kids this time?

Amy: Look at you pair. It's always you and her isn't it? Long after the rest of us have gone. A boy and his box off to see the universe.

The Doctor: Well you say that as if it's a bad thing. But honestly it's the best thing there is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thankyou Moffat for getting Gaiman involved and thankyou Gaiman for delivering in style.
cheers

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 pm

This episode was brilliant... and you've picked out some of my favourite quotes.

Although I also liked the intro of the Doctor to Idris ..'thief.. etc'. Thought it was the first episode in a while to really concentrate on who the doctor is and you really got a sense of that mad young man who stole a tardis and ran away with it to see and save the universe! fab insight into a side of the doctor we don't see often enough! Very Happy

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Episode 2 of the excellent Doctor Stew. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 am

Things are shaping up nicely for next week mid season finale.
**Spoilers"""
Anyone got any guesses as to when the 'real' Amy go caught and when the flesh version took over. The orphanage is my own best guess but so not sure.
Loving this series so far.

As with other episodes in this series there's a prequal for the finale.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon May 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Thought the set up of the last two episodes has been fantastic.
Loved the two doctors and testing the flesh v human thing with the doctor versions swapping places and watching Amy's all too human reactions. Loved how Rory's compassion has really been played upon too.

As to Amy........ This is the first time one of these stories has had me in tears for a long time (I usually sit through the twists going "brilliant") And proper shocked horror crying with my hand clasped over my mouth. SO many questions?

It seems that they think it is the doctors child. And we know it was suggesed the girl in the astronaut suit is Amy's child. Is the flesh doctor the out for the doctor getting killed (seems a little too easy an out for the series to me so I think they have something else lined up). Amy must have been taken in the first or second episode, not sure if the orphanage is a little too late as that is the first time we see the hatch and Amy decides she is not pregnant before that? doesn't she?

Really sad for the flesh Amy though as the shows clearly show how completly they take on the person (and Amy's been through that too in her control of it including being disintergrated by the doctor) And how is this going to mess with Rory's head?

Really want the next episode, but also nervous for the cliff hanger they are bound to leave us on. A crossroads for all three characters apparently!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 30, 2011 2:46 pm

That final scene in the Tardis is among the best Who I have ever seen. And all credit to Karen Gillan who was the perfect mix of confusion, suspicion and pure terror. The look on her face as even Rory stepped away from her and left her alone was tragic , she looked disbelieving, betrayed and even more scared.

As to even guessing how long she has been pregnant- its so hard to tell with Who as you are never certain how much time has passed between episodes- its where they set all the book and radio episodes, so some follow right on and some are weeks apart (at the end of last series when the Doctors timeline is unraveling you see one of these inbetween trips when they are planning going to Space Florida). If you live in a time machine how do you work out how long its been since a particular event?
The orphanage is after she says she is pregnant- but maybe she was normally pregnant via the normal means and it had nothing to do with anyone else at that point? As we don't know who the father is there's no way to know for sure. But there were a few time discrepancies in that orphanange and its the first place she sees the one-eyed midwife. Maybe it was in the missing months when they were on the run from the CIA?
When Amy was the prisoner of the Silence they told her she had been there a long time and that the operation was almost complete- was the Silence talking to real Amy via her flesh version here? I'm still not convinced the Silence are just bad guys. "You must tell the Doctor what he must know and never know".- I still aint sure exactly what the Silence meant by that- what Amy actually tells him is that she's pregnant (at the time it seemed she had changed her mind about telling him, as it seemed the Silence were referring to his death, but loooking back on it now maybe she told him what she was supposed to).

And to cap everything off we have River Song in next weeks and we finally get to find out why she is in prison and who she killed. She said in the past (hah!) that she had killed a 'good man'. And the upcoming episode is entitled "A good man goes to war." Not to much a stretch to assume the same 'good man' is being referenced here- but given its about going after Amy, and most of the universe would probably not think the words 'good man' in relation to the Doctor my money is on the good man being Rory- but I hope not, he dies a lot as is and I have grown rather fond of the character.

Still can't remember the last time (if ever?) a Who series was so full of possibilities- and questions. The mid series break is going to be very painful to endure I think!

edit add- meant to say I also loved the actual two episodes- the flesh is a nice idea and the still concious discarded bodies was truly horrific as were the eyes of the dying gangers ("the eyes are the last to go and they all ask the same question 'Why?'") watching them from the walls "To accuse". Great stuff!

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Mon May 30, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next