Pettytyrant101
17 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [2] Empty Doctor Who [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Continued from: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t41p990-doctor-who
------

Just watched the xmas episode again and enjoyed it muchmore than I did on first viewing. Its fun, emotional and has a killer ending.
it comes after series 6 and whilst 90% of it contains no spoilers the last bit when he goes to see his friends does.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who [2] Empty Re: Doctor Who [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Just watched an episode of NuWho, the one with the dopplegangers in the castle. It was a bit twee, all that soppy feel good stuff. Didnt like the atmosphere of the episode one little bit. it gave me bad vibes. But on the positive side I do think Matt is growing on me. and Rory showed some cahoneys this time too. good. But You Know Who still bored me.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 pm

I assume you watched both parts Mrs Figg? Its a strange episode, its quite dark in its subject matter underneath it and does have a positive message about the equality of life. The ending is also a huge, massive spoiler if you have not been watching them in order it would also be comfusing I would thing- that ending was one of the 'WTF' moments of series 6 where a whole load of clues fell into place. Series 5 and 6 are not good ones to watch out of order as they have strong through plots for all the characters and an overall storyline.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am

One for you Petty from Weta

http://www.wetanz.com/the-doctor-and-davros
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 am

Davros is good not so sure about Bakers face! Something not quite right there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Tis the season it seems to shower current Who quite rightly in awards.

"Doctor Who won in 5 categories at this year's Virgin Media TV Awards. The show itself won "TV Show of the Year" with 43.63% of the vote, beating off competition from Merlin. Rory Williams (Arthur Darvil) won "TV Character of the Year" and
Spoiler:
in The Impossible Astronaut won the "Most Explosive TV Moment of the Year". Karen Gillan won two awards; one for her acting talents ("Best Actress") and one for her good looks ("Hottest Female")."

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:28 pm

yes Petty I did see both episodes
Spoiler:
, as thats what her acting seems like to me. miow! Cool
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Eldo does the vid I posted a few back work in the US this time?

Yep, I could see it. Region-blocking seems to be less of an issue on Dailymotion. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Here a bit of Who humour from the xmas episode. 3 well known UK comedians in a cameo.

Thanks for checking it Eldo- did you watch it?

Mrs Figg apologies but I took the liberty of using my mod powers to put a part of your comment in spoilers- as I believe some people may be watching the series through and thats one of the very big all the pieces fall into place moments- best not spoiled.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Some quotes I stumbled upon about Who.

Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to puree of bat guano; and the greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!
Harlan Ellison,

It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance over brute force and cynicism.
Craig Ferguson

I don't know what it's like to be God — obviously …until that very first moment when you get to sit down and type the words in your script: INTERIOR. TARDIS. … Suddenly I got a very good idea of what it must feel like.
Neil Gaiman

The world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who.
Steven Spielberg

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:29 pm

So why does NuWho depress me then? lots. I always found Eccky and Tenny so life affirming and pleasant to watch. I dont any more. I am no longer a Who lover and it makes me sad. Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:31 pm

I wish I knew Mrs Figg- it makes me feel like I am twelve again and anything is possible! It reaffirmed my love in Who just when it RTD's writing and Tennants incarnation were begining to erode it. The last two series have been the most I have enjoyed Who since the classic days. It saddens me too you dont seem to get that life-affirming childish joy Smith's Doctor gives me every time.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't hate Matt Smith, I just think he was a very poor choice, he is too young, his speech is slow and slurred, and he presents no personality, Amy is the 'brain' while he just fumbles around in the background making ridiculous, childish slapstick jokes like running into trees and spitting up food like an infant. The show may have returned to 'old doctor who' but there was a reason the old who had a cult following and no general audience. With RT Davies, the characters had personality and -believable stories. Now the show looks like a cheap version of star wars. The TARDIS looks tacky and like a set, the sonic screwdriver is green-why change the colour? What exactly was the point? To prove that it had nothing to do with the previous doctor? And some of the story lines had me in tears of laughter-when it was supposed to be very serious. Ie. hallucinogenic lipstick? Are they SERIOUS? How old are these writers? Five? -And the title music, don't get me started. It sounds terrible, and the lightning effects look like they were made in a home video effect studio. And the DW logo? Trying to stay 'hip' with the new generation by using acronyms? Overall, sad and pathetic. I think they need to take the show off the air for a year and re-build, because what they have turned the show into is a complete and total joke.

I found this comment about NuWho and it sums up how I feel

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Have you been visiting Gallifrey Base Mrs Figgs! The haters paradise. (If so Id advise checking the polls out as they reflect much more the general opinionon there- the haters love to post there).

"childish slapstick jokes like running into trees and spitting up food like an infant."

The Doctor has done this for a very long time.

"he is too young, his speech is slow and slurred, and he presents no personality, Amy is the 'brain' while he just fumbles around in the background "

What a perfect description of Matt. Rolling Eyes

"A year ago, some people were questioning whether Smith was the right man for the job. Surely all of those questions have disappeared by now."- den of geek

"Matt Smith hits the right note as the Doctor,"- the telegraph

"Matt Smith's weirdo Doctor really comes into his own..Matt Smith puts in a bravura performance"- The guardian

Spoiler:

"The show may have returned to 'old doctor who' but there was a reason the old who had a cult following and no general audience"

If this were true it audience would be in decline when it fact its exactly the same as it was since NUwho launched. It is also since series 5 more popular in America nad abroad than at any other time. And it actors have been nominated for awards more than any previos Doctor Who run. There is no signs the audience is becoming any more 'cultly' in any way than it always has been. Besides it is a myth it was ever cultly or that it was takenoff the air for poor ratings originally. Its ratings were always above the average for its time slot.

"The TARDIS looks tacky"
Matter of opinion- I like it, its bigger than ever before, I like the split levels and the glass floor. The lighting is much friendlier and brighter too than it wa spreviously, more like the brightness of the original series.

"the sonic screwdriver is green-why change the colour?"

I couln't count the variations there have been on the screwdriver- almost every Doctor has a different one, some have had sevearl, all different in appearence- now thats a notpick if ever I have seen one!

"Ie. hallucinogenic lipstick? Are they SERIOUS?"

It fits perfectly with the personality and character of River Song. Its also a program in wich an as good as immortal alien who can change his appearence and flies through time and space in a blue police box from 1963- if you have a problem with the lipstick may I suggest you are watching the wrong show and must always have been. Or need I list the ridiculous items used in plot devices during the Tennant years? If you dont like this sort of thing dont watch sci-fi.

"And the title music, don't get me started. It sounds terrible, and the lightning effects look like they were made in a home video effect studio. And the DW logo?"

Oh dear the best they can crit? Really? Nothing to say about the superb standard of writing or characterisations? This sort of comment passing a critique of a show is depressingly common. I am suprised you would associate yourself with it Mrs Figg.

And in defence of the Tardis.

Doctor Who [2] Vlcsnap-2012-01-27-21h26m22s170

Doctor Who [2] Vlcsnap-2012-01-27-21h27m00s38

Hello sexy!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 pm

I "associate" with the comments as much as it sums up how I feel about NuWho. I couldnt put my finger on why I didnt like it and the comments kind of struck a cord, it is down to personal opinion after all, its not personal. its not about hating or some negative website that I have never heard of, its about seeing both sides of the coin, like you dont like what PJ has done to LOTR, thats your opinion and I respect your views, I dont "associate" myself with anyone, but I felt in tune with that persons critique.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:57 pm

It was poorly researched- the poster lacks any knowledge of either the viewing figures or those for classic who. They have nothing to say about the performances beyond obvious slander- slow and slurring- I think the video I posted proves that to be nothig more than slanders. And then proceeds to nitpick about things like the screwdriver colour, interior of the tardis and the title credits of all things. Hardly seemed a worthy set of positions and was why I felt it required a detailed rebuttal. By all means Mrs Figg your opinion is your own, but I would rather hear it, than you use some badly thought out second hand opinion to make your case.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 pm

I am not interested in polls or what The Guardian newspaper has to say or how many awards they have. I agree with what the poster said, whether badly researched or not, it doesnt matter, what matters is someones personal perception of how things look to them as individuals. I agree with that persons views, I think Smith is too young to be credible, I dont like his mumbling and hugging Amy every 5 minutes its much worse than Rose and Tennant in that respect, as they did not smooch like 10 year olds. I find some of the plots and devices far fetched but not in a good sci fi way, but just done for the sake of being quirky, like trippy lipstick, naff. you may not like it but some people dont like NuWho.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:18 pm

I dont mind people who have a different opinion just ones who use false facts to make their case- and I make no apoligies for pointing out where their facts are in error. Which they are.
That you don't like his age is fine, there is nothing in the sttory of Who which says it shouldn'thappen- he has regenerated into version much younger before. And on the bright side the longer he is in the role the less a problem that should be for you! Very Happy

ps I only gave the opinions from the Guardian etc to show that for every forum poster you find saying Matt Smith is slow etc I can find several saying the opposite (and depending on your view of professional critics slightly more authoritivly- at the very least they do see a lot tv and film to make their comparisons by).

Doctor Who is not a sci-fi- it has never been a sci-fi nor ever claimed to be a sci-fi. Its more a fairystory or a fantasy. It contains more fantasy tropes than scii-fi- the Tardis is a magical doorway to another world, the Doctor a wizard and the sonic screwdriver, his do everything wand. In such a setting hallunigentic lipstick is entirely appropriate, as approprtiate as the Wicked Witches poisoned apples. And ini such a setting so is Amy and her imaginary childhhood friend the Raggedy Doctor.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Watched "Amy's choise". Amy still doesn't blow me away, but she's alright. Smith's good. And Rory.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you are still watching Amarie and I suspect Amy will have grown on you by the time you get to series end. She grows in the role, as you would expect for someone undertakling their first job. I liked her form the start but she definetly becomes stronger in the role as it goes on.
I loved the DrReam Lord in Amy's Choice- great performance.

Meant to respond to this earlier Mrs Figg:

"I dont like his mumbling and hugging Amy every 5 minutes its much worse than Rose and Tennant in that respect, as they did not smooch like 10 year olds."

This is something I loved, its highly reminiscent of how the 1st Doctor hugs and talks to his granddaughter Susan and perfectly encapsulates for me the brilliance of Smith's interpretation of the Doctor and how he reflects aspects of all his previous selves as well as how he feels about Amy/Amelia. When he does that he is the grandfather, same as when he talks by Amelias bedside.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Ill get my coat....
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Very Happy
Better sticking with it I'd say. But do watch them in order thats quite improtant you know! And try to view them as faery tales not scifi and you might get more joy from it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Eccky wherfore art thou Sad Crying or Very sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49 pm

He quit cause of how controlling RTD was and wasnt getting to do it as he really wanted. I remember seeing in a Confidential RTD instructing Tennant and he was telling him when to turn his head when to make one of his by then well worn 'noises' the actor was just a posable dummy so Im not suprised Eccy left. Smith on the other hand is giving a free reign in his interpration of the role.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:50 pm

And just so it's said: the girl in the fireplace (?) episode is one of the episodes that stuck with me. Felt so bad for her, for the Doctor and for our little girl in the yard with the suitcase. Sad

It was a good episode though, Amy's choise! It was! Very Happy

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next