THANKS! <3 Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who [2] - Page 5 Empty Re: Doctor Who [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

9th Doctor Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing Kissing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 pm

I don't care where people start watching- so long as they start! All Who is good Who!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:20 pm

I started on 10!!!!!!!!!!!!! and still haven't seen the 9th... Shocked perhaps I should.... though I don't really like Rose, and I can't STAND Mickey...

Doctor Who [2] - Page 5 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm not a huge Rose fan either Tin and Mickey is probably the worst male character n the shows histroy- Ecclestones a good Doctor however and there are some cracking episodes- The Unquiet Dead, Dalek, Father's Day and the Empty Child two parter being the standouts I reckon- with Aliens of London and Bad Wolf being among the poorer.
Pound for pound per episode I think for new viewers there are more good episodes in series 5 than 1. And 11th Hour was designed to reintroduce the character to new viewers. Which is why I tend to recommend it as a startingpoint for new viewers.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Rose is my favourite assistant ever, apart from River. Very Happy I love you
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Why season 5? What do you mean? People should start with 11th hour, be very confused and then start on s01e01 to figure out what the heck is going on?

River is not introduced in season 5, Amy is crap for several episodes, the doctor only works if you already know who he is. There's not real balance between the characters until Rory arrives. Colourful tin vacuum cleaners with odd voices are only scary because we know who they are. The many many clips we see when the eye-thing gets chased away by the doctor makes no sense unless you have seen them before. I am not convinced... scratch

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Season 5 has picked up more new Who viewers than any other series-it was designed as a reset to get rid of some of the worst of the RTD years- so the cracks in time conviently remove from everyones memory giant cyberkings stomping around victorian london and the entire Torchwood Cyberman/Dalek war, the Master stuff turning everyone into duplicates of himself and all the rest. So a new viewer needs to know none of these things. The flashback bit with the eye in 11th Hour when you see all the previous Doctors is there precisely for new viewers to give a sense of continuity and a bit of history. The only real problem with starting at series 5 is River- however they do give the basic run down on her when she reappears in series 5.

Actually if I thought I could persuade people I prefer they start at the begining in 1963 with the Unearthly Child.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Season 6 is gearing up to begin production.

"The new issue of Doctor Who Magazine (on general release from tomorrow) reports that Chris Chibnall and Toby Whithouse form part of the team under the watchful gaze of lead writer Steven Moffat. Chibnall contributed to inaugural Matt Smith series with the two part The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, with Whithouse writing for both that first series with The Vampires of Venice followed by last year's The God Complex.
The two join the unconfirmed writers Mark Gatiss and John Fay. Gatiss was responsible for the eleventh Doctor's first encounter with his old enemies in Victory of the Daleks, and last year's Night Terrors. This new series will be Fay's first script for Doctor Who, having written previously for Torchwood's Children of Earth and Miracle Day.
Rehearsals for the new series begin next week (at least for Matt Smith!)."- Gallifrey Base

Matt Smith is quoted as saying after the recent awards success;

"I wouldn't mind a male companion now that Karen has left. I've always believed me and Karen would have different journeys in Doctor Who. I'm sad she's left, but the show is bigger than all the actors who have been in it. I have no plans to leave, though. I've definitely got a year left in the show and I'll take it from there.
I just sort of take each year as it comes really. We've got all the rest of this year to get through and then we'll just sit down and review it from there and see where it goes. But I love playing the part and I love working with Steven Moffat."- Press Association

And Moffat himself has been dropping teasing hints as usual- but its Moffat so take verything with a very large pinch of salt-

"Doctor Who's 50th anniversary is coming. In Cardiff, we're gearing up for the biggest, the best and the most ambitious season we've ever made. There will be shocks, surprises and heartbreak - the Doctor is about to say goodbye to his very best friends, Amy and Rory. And then he's about to say hello to someone very different - the Doctor is going to meet someone very new in the very last place he could ever have expected..."- Radio Times

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 am

Sad Why do all of the companions leave? I love Amy and Rory! Neither of them are annoying (Amy is sometimes, but I guess that's just her character Shrugging )

And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been times in Doctor Who where other doctors meet each other? Like in classic who? I have a feeling the 50th anniversary will be something like that. I'd love to see David Tennant and Matt Smith together! (and Eccleston too I guess Wink )

Doctor Who [2] - Page 5 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:49 am

The previous annivesaries were marked (when they were at all) by the 3 Doctors special and then the Five Doctors special. So there is certainly a tradition of doing that TIn.
I have a hope for some old companions making appearences too, especially Fraser Hines who played Jamie to the 2nd Doctor. And it would be great if they finally resolved what became of his grandaughter fromt he very begining Susan after Gallifrey went down. (There is speculation in the Tennant episode with the Time Lords coming back that the Time Lord who covered her face and would not take part was Susan, but thats unconfirmed and RTD hinted, although would never confirm that person was actually the Doctor's mother- buts its up for grabs)

Companions always leave Tin- nature of the show and the Doctor's lonliness. And they dont always leave in one piece, or willingly, or alive!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Season 5 has picked up more new Who viewers than any other series-it was designed as a reset to get rid of some of the worst of the RTD years- so the cracks in time conviently remove from everyones memory giant cyberkings stomping around victorian london and the entire Torchwood Cyberman/Dalek war, the Master stuff turning everyone into duplicates of himself and all the rest. So a new viewer needs to know none of these things. The flashback bit with the eye in 11th Hour when you see all the previous Doctors is there precisely for new viewers to give a sense of continuity and a bit of history. The only real problem with starting at series 5 is River- however they do give the basic run down on her when she reappears in series 5.

Actually if I thought I could persuade people I prefer they start at the begining in 1963 with the Unearthly Child.

Ah, you do have a point there. I didn't know the memory of those things would be permanently gone. Convenient indeed, things were getting pretty weird... cyclops And we did loose the rather moving idea of the Doctor swishing about in his blue box, risking his life to save our planet and humanity over and over, unknown to anyone but his companion(s) at the time.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 pm

"unknown to anyone but his companion(s) at the time."- Amarie

Agreed- one of the aspects of the RTD Tennant years I disliked the most was making the Doctor a celebrity- he even goes into no10 Downing Street in front of the worlds press. Evil or Very Mad

Most of what Moffat has being doing since he took over is wiping up a lot of the mess RTD made of the character and trying to return the Doctor to the unknown stranger who turns up somewhere and gets involved in an adventure. Not someone who everone has heard of before he even arrives and most of the universe is scared of.
This is perfectly summed up in A Good Man Goes to War in the speech River gives;

Spoiler:
Its that undertanding of the character of the Doctor and the Whoniverse he inhabits which is why I am so happy Moffat is now in charge and why I think series 5 and 6 are head and shoulders above 1-4.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 pm

I want one of these!

"Titan Merchandise are proud to debut the first in our limited edition, high-quality Doctor Who Masterpiece Collection Dalek range: the super-iconic "Genesis of the Daleks" design from the classic 1975 adventure (starring Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor) that introduced the Dalek's creator: Davros!"

[img]Doctor Who [2] - Page 5 GenesisDalek[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:48 pm

I was looking at that netflix free month offer- and it does have Who episodes- no excuses no Eldo- you have a month!!!

A lovely little vid with soothing music to whet the appetite. (Moffat, Gatiss, Haynes directing, after Sherlock how can you continue to resist Eldo?!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Not sure what to make of this- will give it a read though- you never know could be a geek orgasm occasion! Shocked

'IDW Publishing have announced the first official cross-over between the Doctor Who and Star Trek franchises, with the publication of comic book Assimilation² in May.
The story, by Star Trek Infestation authors Scott and David Tipton with Doctor Who author Tony Lee, will feature the Next Generation crew meet up with the Eleventh Doctor as the universe is threatened by a Borg/Cyberman alliance.
The eight issue series has been produced in conjunction with BBC Worldwide Consumer Products (Americas) and CBS Consumer Products, with the latter's Executive Vice President and General Manager Liz Kalodner saying: "by joining these two sci-fi powerhouses, fans will be taken on the ultimate adventure through time and space."
Soumya Sriraman, Executive Vice President Home Entertainment and Licensing, said: "We are excited about this new adventure for the Doctor and the fact that he will be travelling with Captain Jean-Luc Picard and his iconic crew. This is a perfect partnership for not only Doctor Who’s incredible fans, but also for the brand. We have just celebrated our most successful year yet. Doctor Who’s latest season delivered record ratings for BBC AMERICA and it was most downloaded full TV seasons of 2011 in the U.S. on the iTunes Store."
The comic book will be illustrated by J.K. Woodward; a limited edition wraparound photo cover version will also be available.'

Doctor Who [2] - Page 5 Assimilation2

Plus does this make Trek history part of Who canon and vice versa? Shrugging Or will it be a dimensional cross over thing (which if anyone knows the Rose story ending can tell you would be a bit tricky from a Who perspective now).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Shocked Well that all sounds... Beyond weird. And yet I want to read it! NOW! Borg/Cyberman alliance? Really? Must be the Borg after they got infected with indiviuality? Data and the Doctor and a sonic screwdriver... This can't be healthy, must pretend I never heard about this. Laughing

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 pm

for a hypothetical joining i was thinking about it, well for a start it wouldnt be fair on Matt Smith, as Patrick would dwarf him in the charisma and acting stakes. He would start to be seen what he is in reality, just mediocre. On the other hand Eccleston has the charisma and the skills and a large enough persona to give us a good show. You would want them to on the one hand compliment each other and on the other hand have conflicts thrown into the mix. Ecclestons dark moody manic guilt trip contrasting with Patricks older wiser character. Tennant would be too similar and flamboyant to be much of a contrast, and Matt would just fade into the background and be too quiet. just a thought.
btw I saw the next two episodes Night Terrors and the Girl who Waited, the first one I turned over due to boredom, and the second one was really badly acted and consisted of lots of staring, I have never known an actress that could use so little facial muscles without actually being asleep. Suspect

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:00 pm

I couldnt disagree more about Matt, he would hold his own against Stewart- they are both actors who cut their teeth on stage before tv or film beckoned. I think they would spark off each other very well and both are actors used to ensemble playing.

Cybermen came first and the Borg were a ST rip off of them whilst Doctor Who was off the air. So they certainly have a lot in common.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:56 pm

I saw the next two episodes Night Terrors and the Girl who Waited, the first one I turned over due to boredom, and the second one was really badly acted and consisted of lots of staring, I have never known an actress that could use so little facial muscles without actually being asleep.- Mrs Figg

Night Terrors whilst I dont find awful is not a great episode- it was written by Gatiss who I think has yet to do a decent Who since his first one- he did last series worst episode the Dalek one, and he did the awful Tennant one he also acted in as the guy with the anti aging thing that turned him into a monster- the only decent one was Idiots Lantern- the Dickens episode from the Eccleston era.
As for the TGWW and Karen I do find it genuinely interesting that you seem to dislike the very things she gets the most praise for, that episode has been seen her nominated for more awards than any other and it was a clip from that episode they choose to show when she won her acting award at the recent TV awards voted for by the public.
I find her performance in that episode to be exceptionally good, the subtle differences in posture, voice tone, accent and movement between old and young Amy is beautifully observed and presumably why it is picked out as her finest performance by critics.
And the ending
Spoiler:

You are of course free to dislike Karen, as you clearly do, I can understand as I have often heard how good Elijah is in LotR's as Frodo whereas when I watch him I see a block of wood with big blue eyes whose entire acting skills seem to consist of occasionally frowning a bit and looking mildy tired.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:11 pm

well considering the premise of Night Terrors, the whole block of wood analogy is apt when talking about her acting skills..
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Strangely thats one of those scenes I am quite sure, much as the episode wasn't to much to my tastes, if you were 6 years old would probably stay with you- and scaring children is a major part of Who as well remember.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

I can easily imagine the doctor having a nice time at the Enterprise. Perhaps they might think he was (a) Q at first. And I think they could all have a rather nice time chatting about time travel and dimensions and such. Troi might get a bit of a head ache though.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Well the TARDIS certainly wouldn't be in much danger from the locals- shields, phasers, quantum torpedoes- thats kids stuff to her.
Not sure what Crushers scanners would make of him either. Two hearts, regeneration properties in the DNA.
And I think Troi would be more interested in chatting to the TARDIS, its got a telephatic field after all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I would love to see a romance between River and Picard, they would make a fab couple. I think he would like her anarchic side, and she would like his big ship.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next