Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
13 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [10] Empty Doctor Who [10]

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 pm

I suppose exploding a Cyberman head with the power of fatherly love isn't Schmalz to end all Schmalzes? Rolling Eyes

as for the story plots and reasons for them, they are too ridiculous and convoluted to be taken at all seriously. there may be reasons but the fuckwittery involved is just too much.

Not to mention RTD was Never sexist and writes great female characters with respect. Unlike Moffat who cant resist torture and nasty little 'jokes'.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who [10] Empty Re: Doctor Who [10]

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:52 pm

RTD lol. That "Obama saves the world economy with his secret plan on Christmas day" plot felt like it was written by a fine year old with no understanding of how the world works. RTD, yeah what a great writer. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:45 pm

I suppose exploding a Cyberman head with the power of fatherly love isn't Schmalz to end all Schmalzes?- Figg

Not when is part of the underlining theme of the series, which has its final resolution again in the xmas episode when the Doctor accepts that for the first time since Susan left, he has a family again. And he goes to the inlaws for xmas.
The theme of love and its ability to redeem or resolve conflict was one of the themes of that series.
With RTD has shmaltzy is sprinkled everywhere- like contrived feel good moments like the gang all on the TARDIS congratulating each other on how brilliant they all are. Its twee. And un-British. Its embarrassing.

'they are too ridiculous and convoluted to be taken at all seriously'

That depends on the viewer. I when watching take the plots seriously and they work out fine for me, not always perfect but certainly never to convoluted or ridiculous within the shows broad premise. Its like saying you dont like Shakespeare because of the language- thats fine, nothing wrong with that, but its no reflection on the quality of the writing. Same with Moffat, you can not like how he crafts plots, but thats no reflection on the fact that the style of plots he crafts, which people like me do enjoy, he does very well indeed and with great quality overall.

'Not to mention RTD was Never sexist and writes great female characters with respect.'

Where is Rose's respect for Mickey? Or in fact for anyone who looks like they might get close to or have a prior relationship with the Doctor? RTD wrote a jealous, sometimes callous, sometimes spiteful young women who couldn't exist without her Doctor, to the point where RTD had to give her a human Doctor to go off and love. Because every little girl cant grow up or be complete without needing a man.

I also don't accept that Moffat's writes bad or sexist female characters. Out of prominent women he has created for the show we have - Nancy, Sally Sparrow, Madame Pompadour, River Song, Amy Pong, and Clara Oswald.

All different, and I would strongly argue nothing sexist about these characters.
I also think that neither Karen Gillan nor Jenna Coleman are stupid, and neither is just a mouth piece who would say the opposite of what they truly thought about their characters if they thought the writing was sexist. Obviously neither actress thinks this is the case. And they work with Moffat and so should know.

"Unlike Moffat who cant resist torture and nasty little 'jokes'."

I don't know what you mean by torture- ever companion gets put through shit no-one would want, its part of being the companion. And nor do I know what 'nasty little jokes' you are referring too- but if its 12's comments towards Clara we see the reason for that in the xmas episode- he doesn't see age. He sees the spirit of someone, not how old they look.
He is no good at all on personal details, faces and names. In fact one of the very first things 12 says after the regen when he cant remember Clara's name is "I'm not good with names."
Or faces, or telling age. Or if someone is wearing makeup or not, or is good looking or not. He is totally blind to all of it- and I'm fine with that. I like it.
It also made for some good lines, I particularly liked - "How can I be her Dad when we look exactly the same age."
Or when Clara asks him her opinion after changing for her date and he responds "short and rounded with a good personality." He doesn't even notice she has changed clothes.
Or his brilliant confusion over why someone would wear high heel shoes, thinking it must be so she can reach up to a high shelf.
And even when its seemingly insulting its borne out of the same thing- like in the tunnel when she says she doesn't want to hear any comments about her hips and he replies, "You're hips are fine. You are built like a man."

There is no maliciousness at all to any of his cracks about her, they just stem from his complete lack of knowledge, understanding, or any interest in that side to humans.

'That "Obama saves the world economy with his secret plan on Christmas day" plot felt like it was written by a fine year old with no understanding of how the world works.'- Bungo

Yeah thats a real cringe hang your head in shame at being a Who fan moment, sadly. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:51 pm

yeah one moment. that's all u got. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Only because I dont have the time to make a list, and it would fill the whole page. RTD era is full of twee moments. RTD has said he based the format for his Who on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it has that American tweeness at times that is just not British. All those embarrassing everyone cheering scenes. He even has them on tv news scenes, where it cuts all round the world to various extras in front of backdrops in dodgy stereotypical clothing for their nation cheering.
How about when the Doctor saved the Olympic Torch and took it out to light the flame at the Olympic Opening Ceremony? Just awful cringe inducing stuff. Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 pm

this is my response to you trying to make that list. 'Don't be mad, hate is bad'! Laughing

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:41 am

I dont understand any of that. Mad And why is the music like the electronic equivalent of someone scratching their nails over a blackboard? Evil or Very Mad
But once the blonde appeared I found I could put up with it if I turned the volume off. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Laughing

Suspect @ the blonde.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:00 am

Well there is quite a lot of her, and not an awful lot covering up the quite a lot of her Nod

Wasn't sure where to put this- but well worth 22 minutes of your time.

Franz Kafka's Its a Wonderful Life, starring Richard E Grant and Ken Stott and written and directed by Peter Capaldi.
Capaldi won the oscar for best short film for this and deservedly so.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Humble Bundle offer pay what you want (for charity) for $447 of Doctor Who Audio Plays/Dramas:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

(Looking at reviews, they don't seem to be the most popular of items Big Finish could have offered, but it's still a MASSIVE bargain)

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Doctor Who [10] W01FArQ

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Very Happy Next anniversary sorted then!

Not Who related but thought it might be of interest to Figg in particular.
Capaldi started off as an artist, and went to the Glasgow College of Art and interest he has always maintained.
This BBC documentary he made is on the history of Scottish portrait painting- unfortunately it doesn't play in the UK but should elsewhere.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:09 pm

thanks I will watch it when my computer decides to move a bit faster than so slow its going backwards.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Found it on dailymotion in two parts- for anyone in the UK who might want to watch-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 am

These caught my eye - spoiler filled for series 8 though-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Can't say I disagree with this, (and I'm a huge tennant fan)

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/why-i-hate-the-tenth-doctors-regeneration-62163.htm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Yup that pretty sums up my own view on End of Time. But I would also add it was incredibly unfair of RTD to make it so difficult for viewers to accept 11 at first with all that cap about a new man walking away.
The transition to a new Doctor and taking the audience with you is always a tricky moment, there was no need to make it so difficult.

Love that Moffat quote though - ”If I’d been Bernard Cribbins in that thing, I’d be saying, ‘Doctor, I’m actually going to die. You’re going to get a bit younger and stupider hair, OK? You can let me out and you can get a reset. Selfish bastard.”

Laughing Spot on though.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Another couple vids that caught my eye-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 pm

What the actual heckload of mating bollywogs was that Dreaming/Dying strangeness supposed to mean??

And internal inconsistencies of the rebooted Doctor Who aside, it's obviously Tennant that's leaving not the Doctor. That is the point, and argue otherwise all you want but saying goodbye to (for younger viewers like me) THE Doctor was a tragic experience.
Like you crabbit-frithled dungeness-plinkers are always going on, "Doctor Who only continues to be a popular show after all these years because it changes over time and does not remain the same."
If the showrunners wanted a tearful send-off to the younger generations' favourite Doctor, then bugger the rules and let's give them one.
Sheeesh. Mad

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Well it goes against everything from before about regeneration- the show depends on the viewer buying into the idea its the same person.
The idea regeneration is like death and a new person walks away, who is therefore in some fundamental fashion not the Doctor, is I think a terrible notion that undermines the shows main premise when it comes to the Doctor.
The final line- I dont want to go- its melodramatic, its whiny, and as Ive said before it makes more difficult than it need have been for the new actor and production team coming in.
Its like offering someone your bag of chips, then spitting on them right before you hand the bag over.
Regenration is not like death, never has been.
Sometimes its a bit iffy and uncertain- 5 to 6 for example where he didn't know if it was going work and said it felt different this time (which mirrors 11 telling Clara not be afraid bu the thinks she might be because its 'going to be a whopper').
The show changes thanks to the regeneration, thats the stable of change on the show it brings fresh blood to the lead role- it should not be some whiney emo event with a Doctor reluctant to regenerate- it had no dignity to it. It was drawn out for nearly twenty minutes as ell which was tedious.

There are some great scenes in that episode- Wilf and the Doctor in the cafe is a good scene aprt form the stupid death stuff, same goes for the scene where wilf tries to give him the gun, and the scene where Wilf knocks four times- hold on Wilf is the only good thing in those episodes!!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:What the actual heckload of mating bollywogs was that Dreaming/Dying strangeness supposed to mean??

And internal inconsistencies of the rebooted Doctor Who aside, it's obviously Tennant that's leaving not the Doctor. That is the point, and argue otherwise all you want but saying goodbye to (for younger viewers like me) THE Doctor was a tragic experience.
Like you crabbit-frithled dungeness-plinkers are always going on, "Doctor Who only continues to be a popular show after all these years because it changes over time and does not remain the same."
If the showrunners wanted a tearful send-off to the younger generations' favourite Doctor, then bugger the rules and let's give them one.
Sheeesh.   Mad

Amen.

I was getting a bit bored with the over-dramatic way the series was filmed, but I loved Ten (and Nine) and I really really miss Donna. Sad to say, but when I watch the current seasons I am quite happy to ignore there ever was a 11th doctor. Matt was great at his job, don't get me wrong.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:45 pm

I also got tired of the overdone Tennant-isms, but seeing him go was saddening. The episode felt right to me, but now that it's over let's just let the Classic-fans enjoy the return to form that the show has finally undergone with Capaldi's antics.

{{{Sorry for calling you a dungeness-plinker Petty. Razz }}}

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Well I liked 11. A lot of favourites from that period for me. Tennant era I gave up on at one point it got that bad for me, I just couldn't take the melodramatic, operatic, emo Tennant oohing and ahhing his way through an episode any more.
Thats not to say there isn't good stuff in there- Family of Blood springs to mind for example. Blink (in fact all the Moffat penned 10 episodes) and Midnight was excellent.
But not sure where Id place Tennant in my lit of favourite Doctors- he certainly wouldn't make the top 5 thats for sure.

{{{{{Sorry for calling you a dungeness-plinker Petty- Forest

Thats ok Forest- I have no idea what one is and so choose to take it as a compliment Nod }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:00 am

malickfan wrote:Can't say I disagree with this, (and I'm a huge tennant fan)

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/why-i-hate-the-tenth-doctors-regeneration-62163.htm

I think this blogger is just expressing his angry response to regeneration because he is emotionally invested in the Doctor remaining the same person. The fact that 10 was sad to go, upset him, hence the rant.

Tennant remains my favourite Doctor, he was no more exuberant than Smith, and his mannerisms were far less irritating than Smiths, that's for sure.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:02 am

Well that doesn't explain my crabbit because i never found it sad, I found it embarrassing.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next