David H
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
bungobaggins
Eldorion
19 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Empty Re: It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

Post by azriel Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Its gonna be extraordinary to Armitage only cos he doesnt know any better ! But, that said, I think he knows a bit more about The Hobbit than his companions, did i hear he played in The Hobbit at school or somewhere ?  scratch Oh well, plenty of time to get in a repeat prescription of something to numb the pain, the pain Im gonna feel watching even more shat.

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Empty Re: It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yeah wargs- in the book they are autonomous and team up with goblins sometimes, and sometimes let them ride them- but they are independent, not just ridding beasts for goblins.
As in they are awesome, hilarious, and cool.
As opposed to rat-like, subservient, non-sentient, and moronic.

On a similar theme, I'm not surprised, now that I heard about it, that there may be eagle-riding and mid-air fights versus giant vampiric bats. After all, we need something flying about above the battle that will be similar to the Fell-Beasts!
Although I must say, if Azog shows his stupid punk-white-ass up at the battle while riding some giant bat and tearing dwarves off the mountain-sides, I will punch myself very hard in the leg.
Or, more likely, the shoulder of the person next to me.

I mean, c'mon, the bats aren't participants! They're more like the carrion-birds that follow an army around than actual participants.

Also, quite the intellectual place this ToRN can be (not like us erudites  Razz  ):

Elessar posted: Wasn't Surprised
Spoiler:

Thankfully there are some Eldorion-types who do elevate such discussions:

QuakingTroll posted:
Spoiler:

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
Also, quite the intellectual place this ToRN can be (not like us erudites   Razz  ):

Elessar posted: Wasn't Surprised
Spoiler:

To me, this sounds like a strong case of second-option-bias.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

I have a feeling that TH movies not getting nominated or winning special effects is the Academy's way of saying NO to HFR

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

I think it's because the special effects are average at best. Or at least there are some glaringly bad visual effects among a lot of good effects.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 01, 2014 8:25 pm

those bat Flying Elves were really bad cgi.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Thu May 01, 2014 11:29 pm

I'm not saying it's the ONLY reason... but maybe a contributing factor. I will be the first to say that CGI will be the end of good scenography!

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 01, 2014 11:34 pm

PJ has shown that even if one of the reasons your first trilogy is lauded is breathtaking scenery thats not reason not make another trilogy set in the same country, with the same scenery, but instead do it all in a big green box (and even in cgi they still cant get the right sort of grass  Mad )

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 pm

the scenery was probably amazing before they fiddled and tweeked it out of existence with all that overlaying colouring or whatever they do. They can even make day look lke night, the vlogs looked pretty interesting, like the desolation of Smaug rocks and various other great scenery, but its unrecognizable, its turned into plastic. you wouldnt know by looking at the films whats real and whats cgi, it all mostly looks fake. A few of the helecopter landscape mountain views look real, but not much.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 12:08 am

I am struggling to think of real scenery thats not mucked about with- the stupid rabbit sled chase is one of the few that springs to mind- and I found the choice of scenery in it weird as it appears an awful lot like the landscape they used for Rohan in TT.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri May 02, 2014 12:21 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I am struggling to think of real scenery thats not mucked about with

The river during the barrel ride?

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 UJpDi It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 1:03 am

Its hugely mucked about it- with the entire banking and sides being cgi, many of the waterfalls and rapids are cgi as well. They talk in one of the blogs about the detail level in rendering the water.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 02, 2014 4:11 am

Well, you know....we can't expect the same level of realism that Goblin town was blessed with.  Rolling Eyes 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri May 02, 2014 4:56 am

Official from twitter.

The Hobbit: The The Of The The The

It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 BmlNAm2CcAE7MXn

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 02, 2014 8:09 am

Mrs Figg wrote:the scenery was probably amazing before they fiddled and tweeked it out of existence with all that overlaying colouring or whatever they do. They can even make day look lke night, the vlogs looked pretty interesting, like the desolation of Smaug rocks and various other great scenery, but its unrecognizable, its turned into plastic. you wouldnt know by looking at the films whats real and whats cgi, it all mostly looks fake. A few of the helecopter landscape mountain views look real, but not much.
Ahem, yeah, we haven't seen that before:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Lord-of-the-Rings-Blu-Ray-Aragorn-and-Legolas

(Still I definitely agree about how fake everything looks. The scenery, for whatever reason, just doesn't look real. I mean, let's go over just the title cards for the series thus far.

Fellowship of the Ring:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 The-fellowship-of-the-ring-title-card
aww... very sweet. (Shhh Petty not now)
Sure the colours are heavily saturated, but it looks naturally beautiful.

Two Towers:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 The-lord-of-the-rings-the-two-towers-title-card
Cinematically pleasing, check. Photo-realistic, check. Awkward dialogue... unfortunately also check.

Return of the King:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 The-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-king-title-card
Wait a second...
Why does this have to happen over the fake-looking tree-scape with the fake-looking desolated mountain-side behind it? Oh well...

And moving on to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Screen%20Shot%202013-01-11%20at%208.17.23%20AM
Smoke rings. Well, it's suitable for the content of the story. But it is a cgi-smoke-ring over a potentially, cgi sky. I'm sensing a pattern.

And of course Desolation:
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Smaug-Main-Title
Is anything in this image real? I honestly can't tell. It could be New Zealand on tornado day, or maybe a shot from inside a purple-tinted helicopter. Either way, something's wrong with it. Adding in baying wargs riding willy-nilly just makes the whole thing that much worse.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 02, 2014 8:43 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I am struggling to think of real scenery thats not mucked about with- the stupid rabbit sled chase is one of the few that springs to mind- and I found the choice of scenery in it weird as it appears an awful lot like the landscape they used for Rohan in TT.
Indeed. Prometheus has more natural-looking scenery.
It's official: TABA is now "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" - Page 6 Iw0n1

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 am

I have no idea if the opening shots of Prometheus were all cgi or not, but they certainly looked a hell of a lot more real than anything in the TH films does.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri May 02, 2014 11:11 am

I thought all of the Prometheus opening stuff was shot in Iceland.

I think the aliens were CGI though.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 pm

I thought the Engineers in Prometheus looked real.  Shocked 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Fri May 02, 2014 2:13 pm

We learned a bit about animation in my film class, particularly about Snow White. Everyone was telling Disney that no one would be able to sit through an hour and a half animated feature because the vibrancy would be too annoying. So Disney muted the colors and proved them all wrong. PJ on the other hand does the opposite and, hey! Would you look at that? PEOPLE GOT BORED AND IRRITATED

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I dunno about anyone else, but I thought the color-grading in DOS was infinitely more naturalistic (and thus less distracting/annoying) than in AUJ.

bungobaggins wrote:I thought the Engineers in Prometheus looked real.  Shocked 

They looked like Azog to me (and vice versa). Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 pm

They looked much better than Azog to me.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 pm

When you say better, do you mean that you thought the CGI work (assuming the Engineers were in fact computer-generated) was of a higher quality, or did you find the design more aesthetically pleasing?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Both.  Razz 

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 02, 2014 7:43 pm

I thought the one in the opening shot conveyed emotion and internal thought far better than anything in TH films.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next