halfwise
David H
Norc
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
23 posters

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2]

Post by malickfan Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Loch_l10

Reminds me of Nasmith's Cuiviénen pictures

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:06 pm

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Rocchetta2_zps7403f1a0

I like this oriental looking building, its not too far from where I live, I may go and take some photos if the weather holds up. It could be Prince Imrahils palace
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm

another view of same building. its 19th Liberty style inside but the outside is pure fantasy.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 ImagesE8QUUDYZ_zps814a51a9
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:15 am

malickfan wrote:
Bluebottle wrote:Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Loch_l10

Do you mean this one?

http://www.theonering.com/galleries/professional-artists/the-silmarillion/at-lake-cuivienen-ted-nasmith

I wasn't aware of that. It does a bit, yeah. It's actually from a place in Scotland, but I feel it is a bit Tolkien-ee as well.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 am

Old forest road.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 The+Dark+Hedges%2C+Co+Antrim%2C+Northern+Ireland%2C+by+Pawel+Klarecki%2C+Londonderry

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 am

I love roads like that  Nod we have many round here like that Im glad to say, I want one leading up to the door of my Hobbit house, deep in the countryside, where no one can find me !  Very Happy

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
malickfan wrote:

Do you mean this one?

http://www.theonering.com/galleries/professional-artists/the-silmarillion/at-lake-cuivienen-ted-nasmith

I wasn't aware of that. It does a bit, yeah. It's actually from a place in Scotland, but I feel it is a bit Tolkien-ee as well.

Yeah that's the one, I've always liked Nasmith's colour schemes and the way he blends his backdrops into the foreground, that Photo you posted had the same sense of calm, natural peace and distance Namsith gives me.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:09 pm

bungobaggins wrote:I like those sketches, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Titled "Faramir at Osgiliath."

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Faramirb

Reminds me too much of a Renaissance era painting of Roman soldiers.

Nice picture, but looks more like Gladiator than Middle Earth!

Crikey, imagine that Russell Crowe as Faramir...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 pm

I think its taking the idea that Gondor, if it were real, would be roughly where Italy is.
And whilst I think Gondor should be depicted as Mediterranean in lighting and somewhat in architecture (a thing for large buildings of white stone for one) and have vineyards and hillsides all tended and lush with fruit orchards ect that pic probably takes the idea a step too far.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:26 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I think its taking the idea that Gondor, if it were real, would be roughly where Italy is.
And whilst I think Gondor should be depicted as Mediterranean in lighting and somewhat in architecture (a thing for large buildings of white stone for one) and have vineyards and hillsides all tended and lush with fruit orchards ect that pic probably takes the idea a step too far.

Well yeah, I agree with that As John Howe once said you do get a since of Gondor as being the Rome, (in militaristic and cultural terms at least) of Middle Earth, but the imagery seemed too stylisized to me, everything seemed a little too regal and overly jam packed, Gondor was very much in decline by the Third Age so I wouldn't have expected such stylised Armour for it's troops, and personally I'm always drawn to more 'out there' imagery of Middle Earth, this just seemed too obvious to me.

Shrugging 

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Out of Interest, where would you place Scotland in Middle Earth?, I only know it from TV/films but I've always envisioned Hithlum and Eriador as being akin to a mishmash of The High Lands and The Lake District.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:29 pm

it looks like he asked the guys from the calcio storico to pose  Very Happy 

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 ImagesVSB39MZT_zpsa2aec470
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Gondor as a crumbling Western Roman Empire? Or as it's stronger Eastern Roman counterpart?

It's certainly an interesting idea. Nod 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:42 pm

Weirdly enough that sorta reminds me of the Orcs in the Bakshi LOTR...

scratch Maybe I should watch it again

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 am

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 11446910844_bcd1b60a61_o

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 am

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Maldives+Resorts

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:39 am

hee hee...... wow, That could be fun sleeping under the fish & marine life swimming about but, Im more of an out doorsie, sleep under the stars, watch the moon,lying on soft green grass sort of a person. Smile

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:49 am

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 14+-+1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Mmm,  Nod  I can smell the foliage.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 HTQjbNi

Trango Towers in Pakistan. Looks more like how my mind would envision a place called "The High Fells," even though it is a total PJ invention.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:40 pm

I could definitely see that working as a northerly extension of the Misty Mountains in the vicinity of Angmar. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Both that and PJ's choice are too mountainous for my liking. Fell does mean mountain but it usually refers to a barren or uncultivated piece of land up a mountain (in the North of England they grazed animals on them which is why you get Fell ponies and Fell sheep)- a High Fell should be a flattish area of land higher than a hill.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 Galadriel_zps90392c1e

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I like Bungo's choice. thats the great thing about LOTR you can use your imagination to interpret places.
I personally think of this as high fells for example,

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 ImagesX6K0J9C1_zpsdb870d04

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 ImagesRDVRT4N8_zpsfa01d05f
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:28 pm

bungobaggins wrote:Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. [2] - Page 25 HTQjbNi

Trango Towers in Pakistan. Looks more like how my mind would envision a place called "The High Fells," even though it is a total PJ invention.

I like that, it reminds me of the Lonely Mountains as well
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next