Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

+50
Cowley 121
Hillbilly
Anne
Bluebottle
Yavanna
malickfan
Forest Shepherd
Laivine
bungobaggins
Radaghast
RA
jon
Jac Jackson
TheUberNerdyKid
widfara
leelee
Barnamir
irca
Karakehribar
CC12 35
azriel
the truth
Foolofatook
MeikoElektra
David H
chris63
yooper
Monicawang
Kendalf
Lancebloke
Kafria
Turembar
halfwise
odo banks
feanor 1999
Semiramis
Norc
Mrs Figg
Aiglos
Lester Cat
Taniwha
Orwell
Tinuviel
Ally
Amarië
Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
PiP
Eldorion
54 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Empty Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Eldorion Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Hullo, and welcome to Forumshire, the Hobbit Movie Forum for free spirits and everyone else who likes a laid-back, relaxed good time! cheers We're a close-knit community but everyone here started off new at one point and was welcomed in, and we continue to pride ourselves on that welcoming atmosphere. While we are mostly rules-free, we do have a few guidelines in place, so please take a moment to look over the dead easy rules.

Please feel free to post here (or make your own thread in the Off-Topic forum) to tell us a little bit about you so we can get to know each other. Of course, be smart about posting personally identifiable information on the Internet, here included. If you like, you can get started with the following template, or just say whatever you like. Smile Again, welcome!

How did you first come across Tolkien?
What do you think of the movies? We've got both purists and lovers of the films here. Smile
How did you pick your username? Does it have any meaning?
How did you find Forumshire? Search engine, referral, or something else entirely? Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Empty Pour votre plaisir...

Post by PiP Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Phew !
The first one to post a reply to this topic then am I.

Jollygood then and Hullo everyone.
I think I came across with Tolkien the very fist time when I was nothing but a little girl who inherited her greataunties LOTR books that dated back to the 60's. The books are from the first edition ever that was translated to Finnish so the language is pretty hard to read actually. I found the books incredibly more pleasurable when I read them in English. The language is more vibrant and the characters have much more depth. I believe though that it is a common problem when translating, its like derivatives, you always end up losing something.

I need to admit that I actually LOVED the movies too. I kinda keep them separate and think that the book is one entirety and the movies are another.
I don't even try to compare them with eachothers, its easier this way. Or atleast its my humble opinion, for my humble and simple mind. study

And what comes to my nick... It dates back years. I believe it was the first time that I saw The Fellowship of The Ring with my friend who got these most extravagant kikcs when Merry called Pippin Pip. She fell in love with the sound of it and for some reason started to call me Pip. As the years pass on and the more I compare myself with Peregrin Took, the more I seem to find reesemblance. In the movies, in the books. The more I read and everytime I watch the movie I seem to notice something I missed last time and find the same charasteristics in myself. I'm samekind of a fool, who never wishes anything bad to anyone and is loyal to ones who loves...and oh how clumsy and a bit simple on occasions. Rolling Eyes

Thats bit about me, but tell me, where on hobbiton has the offtopic gone where you guys introduce yourselves? Has it gone to the flames of Udun or am I just blind? Shocked Very Happy

PS. Sorry for the typos. I'm not even going to start with them.

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Welcome to the foum Pip! cheers Glad to have you onboard and hope you stay around.
We have a few folks here read Lotr's in Norwegan so I'm sure they'd be interested in tales of comparative translations.

There is a new members section around here somewhere, but the new Admin is frankly shocking! Wink I blame them.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Empty Re: Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please)

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Welcome to Forumshire, PiP! Very Happy It's great to meet you, especially someone who brings a new perspective to our fan community the way you do. Out of curiosity, were you a member here in the past? We did previously have a New Members forum, but we reorganized the forum structure a few months ago and it was folded into the current Off-Topic forum. This thread is the new place for Introductions, though of course people can open their own threads if they like. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Welcome Very Happy Glad to have you on board Smile Talking about translations is a favourite topic of mine, though there is only one of the Norwegian ones I like to talk about (there are three different Norwegian translations of LotR) Wink I'd be interested in hearing how the Finnish one compares to the original too if you'd like to share your thoughts Smile

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey PiP!
Got to say - I love your avatar! Where did you get it from?
I made mine myself - it's not that good but i like it!

We've had a couple of newbies lately (Anne and codie), so feel free to just do whatever's comfortable for you! When I was new, I just posted everywhere at every hour of every day - I was a spam machine!
I wouldn't bother reading every single post on every single thread - especially if it's the Complaints thread or the Bigger Badder Even More Serious thread! I won't bore you with details of our history etc, but if you have any questions, (like if there's a Bigger Badder Even More Serious thread, where's the Big Bad Serious thread?)
feel free to ask away!

Anyway, enough rambling - I hope you fit in!

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi there Pip! If you should come across me declaring my undying love and admiration for Ringdrotten, then I am probably talking about the latest Norwegian translation of LOTR and not the fellow above. Though he is of course a great guy with a brilliant taste in literature and in his choice of username. Wink

I've been told that the Swedish translation isn't too good either. I was very happy with the... I guess that has to be the second translation of LOTR. But then "Ringdrotten" came, and I am sure Tolkien would approve and applaud and do cartwheels. At least that's how I feel about it. Yes, I am indeed terribly geeky in that department... Probably in others too. Wink

Well, anyway, welcome!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by PiP Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Darn. I only noticed your replies now.

I think that trying to answer shortly is a mission impossible, so I willingly postpone it.
I'll see if I have time to spare tomorrow at work to write something back to you. (not admitting that I'd do such a thing as surf on the Internet whilst working... Rolling Eyes )

And thanks for your warm welcomes laddies !

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:54 pm

PiP wrote:Phew !
The first one to post a reply to this topic then am I.

Jollygood then and Hullo everyone.
I think I came across with Tolkien the very fist time when I was nothing but a little girl who inherited her greataunties LOTR books that dated back to the 60's. The books are from the first edition ever that was translated to Finnish so the language is pretty hard to read actually. I found the books incredibly more pleasurable when I read them in English. The language is more vibrant and the characters have much more depth. I believe though that it is a common problem when translating, its like derivatives, you always end up losing something.

I need to admit that I actually LOVED the movies too. I kinda keep them separate and think that the book is one entirety and the movies are another.
I don't even try to compare them with eachothers, its easier this way. Or atleast its my humble opinion, for my humble and simple mind. study

And what comes to my nick... It dates back years. I believe it was the first time that I saw The Fellowship of The Ring with my friend who got these most extravagant kikcs when Merry called Pippin Pip. She fell in love with the sound of it and for some reason started to call me Pip. As the years pass on and the more I compare myself with Peregrin Took, the more I seem to find reesemblance. In the movies, in the books. The more I read and everytime I watch the movie I seem to notice something I missed last time and find the same charasteristics in myself. I'm samekind of a fool, who never wishes anything bad to anyone and is loyal to ones who loves...and oh how clumsy and a bit simple on occasions. Rolling Eyes

Thats bit about me, but tell me, where on hobbiton has the offtopic gone where you guys introduce yourselves? Has it gone to the flames of Udun or am I just blind? Shocked Very Happy

PS. Sorry for the typos. I'm not even going to start with them.

YEAH! Another movie fan! Smile I also happen to love the movies, though trust me, people here will try to break this love. Stay strong! They are probably trying to act cool by disliking one of the most critically acclaimed and heavily awarded films in recent times! Very Happy

I guess translating some stuff just doesn't work (anyone see Fry's power of words- they had this scene where some Chinese? I think- not sure- trying to translate Shakespeare. It just doesn't work! I was reading Lotr in Polish a while ago, and it wasn't too bad, but I suppose if you already know the story from back to front its not too hard! It's always going to be best in the language that the author wrote it in!

Glad to see you here Pip!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Amarië wrote:Hi there Pip! If you should come across me declaring my undying love and admiration for Ringdrotten, then I am probably talking about the latest Norwegian translation of LOTR and not the fellow above. Though he is of course a great guy with a brilliant taste in literature and in his choice of username. Wink

Ringdrotten, is that you? Razz Haha, of course not! I kid!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 pm

I put up Fry's interview with PJ on the news thread Ally. Great program.

Squach The Big, Bad Serious Thread is safely stowed in the Old Forum section with all the other threads from our old home.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes but I'm not sure that newbies are exactly going to spend their time combing through about a million posts! And plus they can't reply to any of it so...

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 pm

No, I wouldn't read every single post on both of the forums. I would, however, urge you to read all of these posts! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:26 pm

How is the reading coming along, Amarië? Very Happy

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 am

I feel like I'm always late to these things and by the time I get to the thread the part where we say 'Hello' has passed! Evil or Very Mad
Anyway, Hello Pip! nice to have you! Hopefullly, you'll find our little community quirky, but charming rather than just flat out... strange....

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:59 am

Lol, I hope Ringdrotten would be able to create a more interesting "secret" identity than me. geek

Ringdrotten: Sadly I haven't read anything in ages. I think I need to put the book where I can see it daily so that when I do get a moment to myself, I will remember to grab the book and not the TV remote. study

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 am

Hi Pip. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by PiP Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Shoo, what a week! Somehow when working on the financial sector one tends to learn to hate the end of months… Nevermind that though, I’m back !
And since the amount of replies quite overwhelmed me, I try to answer in chronological order to make any sense at all.

Eldo, nope, I’m brand spanking new. I came across with this forum by accident when I was snuffing around for filming dates and new releases considering the Hobbit movie. (And I do apologize if I have found my way in the middle where everyone else hates the whole idea of filming The Hobbit in the first place. Very Happy)

Ringdrotten and Amarie, maybe we should make a whole new thread considering the translation –theme? So then we can’t be blamed for new comers lack of interest when they only want to come and introduce themselves and instead of a nice welcome thread they end up finding a 30 page long hate-love outpouring. Very Happy Or if there already is such a topic please do forward me to it for I do need to admit there is … quite a lot where to look for.

Squach, I think I came across it in another forum that I frequently visit and tend to use it in other forums also. So if ever you were to meet it somewhere else there’s a slight chance you’ve found me. Wink

Ally, there is no one in this whole wide world that could take away my undying love for the movies(too). Like said, I do not even start to compare them with the books but rather think them as a whole scheme of its own. It just that no matter how tired, bored, angry or just frustrated I might be, they always tend to make me feel happy and peaceful. The music, the scenery and all. …or then I’m just strange. Both ways, I take it. Very Happy

Tinuviel, you arrived not early nor too late but just when you meant to. Wink I think I’m going to fit in just well (or I do hope so), and I find this forum not at all strange. Or is it due the fact that I’m usually the one to whom my friends pay their respects with the finger-an-a-thumb. Very Happy

Hi to you too Orwell. Did I understand correctly that you’re one of them Oz? If so, here’s one who left her heart to somewhere NZ-Oz axis a couple of years ago. If you’d happen to come across with it, please inform me and I’ll come and claim it back. …And maybe then stay for good. Nod

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:27 pm

PiP wrote:Hi to you too Orwell. Did I understand correctly that you’re one of them Oz? If so, here’s one who left her heart to somewhere NZ-Oz axis a couple of years ago. If you’d happen to come across with it, please inform me and I’ll come and claim it back. …And maybe then stay for good. Nod

Mmm... can't say I'm not interested, Pip --- but Kafria does get very jealous of my relationships with other ladies... Also, where do you think you saw it last - your heart that is? If I knew that, I could start an investigation... err... but, if you don't mind me saying so, you were a little careless to go losing your heart like that. I keep mine under lock and key. Safest that way. Nod

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by PiP Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 pm

I can't recall exactly where it might have gotten lost to.
Maybe it was left behind in the wilderness and the most wonderful scenery of the kiwi-land and its sounds.
Or then it might have been just the half of it that decided on its own to dwell there for I'm quite sure it was still with me when I came to Oz. Or the part of it.
For my defence I need to say that I surely did not intend to leave it lying around like that unsupervised, and it was only when I arrived back home that I realized something was missing.
Now to think of it, it must have been that mischiveous and yet gorgeus Green Sea turtle that I met whilst snorkeling at the Wrecks of Tangalooma. Yes, I blame the turtle, my life wasn't what it used to be after that encounter.

Bugger, shouldn't be thinking about it. Only makes me want to sell my bike and buy a one-way ticket. Banghead

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Welcome and Introductions (Newbies, Please) Empty I've been lurking for a few months and really should say hello....

Post by Taniwha Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 am

How did you first come across Tolkien? My parents had copies on the shelves. Had read Hobbit and LotR by the time I was 10.
What do you think of the movies? Love the movies - they may not follow the stories exactly, but they are wonderful interpretations of the books and as they are an amalgamation of many peoples thoughts and views on Tolkiens work they are entirely magical in their own right.
How did you pick your username? see here
How did you find Forumshire? PT - enough said really!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:28 am

Welcome to Forumshire Taniwha.
I hope you enjoy it here and settle in. Admin must be making a mint selling all these hobbit holes to new members!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Taniwha Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 am

Haven't had the bill yet Shrugging but I'll be sure to post a cheque once I get it.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 am

Hi Taniwha, it's great to meet you! Very Happy It's nice to see that you've decided to post; I hope that we've made a good impression since you registered. Despite the exaggerated things some here might say, we have nothing against PT, and it's best not to take anything said about that site too seriously (not being too serious is in our rules thread, after all Laughing). I hope you'll enjoy your time here on Forumshire. Smile

Have you seen the trailer for The Hobbit yet? I'd imagine that as a fan of the films you would be quite excited by it (like many of us), though it seems some opinions have been split so I don't want to presume anything. Wink I am of a few different minds about it personally, but overall I'm still quited excited!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am

Taniwha wrote:How did you first come across Tolkien? My parents had copies on the shelves. Had read Hobbit and LotR by the time I was 10.
What do you think of the movies? Love the movies - they may not follow the stories exactly, but they are wonderful interpretations of the books and as they are an amalgamation of many peoples thoughts and views on Tolkiens work they are entirely magical in their own right.
How did you pick your username? see here
How did you find Forumshire? PT - enough said really!

A bold entry into Forumshire, Taniwha! I approve whole heartedly! Though I'm a little surprised that you heard of us in PT. I thought all traces of us there had been expunged! Shocked

I can happily tell you that Free Speech is not for Sale here either, no way! But, of course, Sponsored Speech, is especially prized too, and I assure you is totally dependant on competitive market forces, just as it should be. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next