Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

+14
Ringdrotten
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
Amarië
azriel
Mrs Figg
CC12 35
MeikoElektra
David H
Tinuviel
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
18 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by David H Sat May 05, 2018 6:42 am

Congratulations Eldo. That's very cool!! :carrot: Cheerleader :carrot:

To be honest I was really pissed off while working on the project but I tried to tone it down a bit for general consumption.
They call that "passion for the subject," and when it comes through in your writing it can make much more entertaining reading than your run-of-the-mill project paper, especially if you succeed in maintaining objectivity at the same time. I'm guessing it's one several things that set your project apart.

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 UJpDi Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 05, 2018 7:00 am

{{{ Nice one Eldo  cheers - no one deserves to be recognised for their hard work more  Nod Congrats pub }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Well, WE know you're a damn good academic. How was the presentation received in class?

I used to shake terribly in front of audiences; it was actually going to a performing arts high school that cured me of that.  Not from doing performance (I was in instrumental music so was always in a group) but from being in a supportive group of people who actually cared about each other.  Then teaching finally put it to rest.

So nervousness in public speaking is something that can be un-acquired, it's not innate.  If your award leads you to speaking about it again then it will likely be with an audience who really wants to hear what you have to say, and knowing that, and turning it into a bit of storytelling (it doesn't take much!) will pull them along and possibly cure your fears at the same time.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat May 05, 2018 2:00 pm

Fell over this thread, read the last few pages, understood next to nothing, but have to say, being pissed off is an excellent state to be in when doing a talk. Yeah, you hide that you are pissed off, but it motivates you, helps you work through anything that threatens to psychologically derail you: you know, your own sense of dishonesty, ineptitude and fear of failure. I rate being being pissed off very highly. Wink

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat May 05, 2018 2:11 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Image001

lol! that's hilarious.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I rate being being pissed off very highly.- Orwell

{{Well you are Australian after all! }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Are pissed and pissed off the same thing?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I think it can have different connotations :brows: pub

Well done, Eldo! Perhaps you should develop your assignment into an article an see if you can have it published in some academic journal. Make that CV look even a little better. Wink

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 pm

halfwise wrote:Are pissed and pissed off the same thing?

This might need some explanation and expansion for non-Australians...

1. Pissed off: to be not pissed on; no, not by anyone.

2. Pissed on: reserved for a certain kind of movie.

3. Pissed: to be open to points one and two due to the mesmerising affect (and effect) of beer.

Here to help!

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun May 06, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks a bunch, everyone! Smile

David H wrote:They call that "passion for the subject,"  and when it comes through in your writing it can make much more entertaining reading than your run-of-the-mill project paper, especially if you succeed in maintaining objectivity at the same time.  I'm guessing it's one several things that set your project apart.

That's a nicer way of putting it. Razz I did my best to show my work and seem even-handed, though towards the end after laying out all the evidence I indulged myself a bit:

Perhaps the most striking takeaway from my review of the literature is the deficiency in empathy and understanding of what the plight of people who self-injure (especially younger teenagers who are unable to live independently) actually entails. The tone-deaf criticisms of online self-injury support communities for discussing methods of concealing scars indicates either an ignorance of the consequences and punishments that self-injurers potentially face if their behavior becomes known or a worryingly glib dismissal of that possibility. This is especially disappointing in light of the substantial clinical evidence regarding the danger of invalidated emotions, which are at the root of most self-injurious behavior (Levenkron, 1998).
...the most important information need of people who self-injure, especially young people, is emotional validation. This is supported by both psychological studies of self-injury and information behavior studies such as those cited above in the fourth subsection of the literature review. Studies that actually asked people who self-injure what they would find helpful tended to indicate that acceptance of the role of self-injury as a coping skill was important, whereas most of the finger-wagging articles that criticized self-injury support websites did not consider the perspectives of people who self-injure or, in the case of Marchant et al. (2017), openly disregarded the feedback they received from community participants in favor of the researchers’ judgment of what content was acceptable.

Some real zingers, to be sure. Laughing

halfwise wrote:Well, WE know you're a damn good academic.  How was the presentation received in class?

Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone who actually works in academia. Smile Though I'm not feeling like much of an academic after the shit I just scraped together for one of my classes this semester. No  

The presentation was received pretty well, I think. My professor was effusive in her praise, both in person at the time and in the written feedback I received later with the grade. I got probably the fewest questions of any of the presentations which I kind of expected given how uncomfortable most people are about self-injury when it's discussed in any significant detail, but I did get a little bit of participation and a few people came up to me afterwards and said they liked it, which was really nice.

So nervousness in public speaking is something that can be un-acquired, it's not innate.  If your award leads you to speaking about it again then it will likely be with an audience who really wants to hear what you have to say, and knowing that, and turning it into a bit of storytelling (it doesn't take much!) will pull them along and possibly cure your fears at the same time.

I used to be a little more confident with public speaking than I am now, but I didn't have much reason to do it during the four years I was away from academia (not speaking in front of groups, that is), so I'm kinda rusty. This presentation was far worse than usual, though. I anticipated being stressed but I underestimated the extent to which my choice of topic made things worse. The project update I had to give earlier in the semester was the first time I had ever admitted (even tacitly) to self-injuring to people I didn't already know except in hospitals or on forums. I only briefly mentioned my personal experience in the presentation I've had some really bad reactions even from people I did know, so ... yeah. Laughing

Bluebottle wrote:Well done, Eldo! Perhaps you should develop your assignment into an article an see if you can have it published in some academic journal. Make that CV look even a little better. Wink

I'm sure that's worth considering, but I dunno if it's really that kind of paper. It's more of an executive summary/explanation of why I did my presentation the way I did, so it would take some significant rewriting to be in a state suitable for publication. On the other hand, it won this award, so what do I know? Razz It's a little ironic though; I came into this program determined to focus on the professional education about librarianship parts, but my first semester in and I discover a research passion that I've only ever previously had for history/political science and Tolkien studies. Rolling Eyes Not sure what the job prospects in that field are but maybe I'll try to get involved with advocacy some day.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun May 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Might be worth it though Nod

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Db8grOTWsAA1UGl

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Blue: Razz Razz Razz    How true.

Eldo: Find a journal that would be a good platform - definitely one that those people you criticize would read.  Reformat your paper and submit.  But before you do that, look up publication fees and check with your advisor to see if support is there.  To get this money you may have to bribe with second authorship in exchange for performing the traditional role of second author: do a deep reading and critical feedback.

If you can find a worthy journal with no fees (though high impact journals almost always have fees) then you can use that.  But here's a note: in the day of google scholar searching, your paper will be found no matter where published.  But if in a low or no fee low impact journal, it won't be read except by those who are doing literature searches for a paper, then won't be read except by those that have read those papers.  Over the years it will come to be known.  If you want a quicker impact, you have to pay the money for a higher visibility journal that people tend to skim to keep abreast of what's going on.  So there's your trade-off.  

BTW, if you submit to a free journal, no need to bribe your advisor for money with dual authorship, and since said advisor is not a expert in this field anyway, you may be better off not diluting your contribution.

Last edited by halfwise on Sun May 06, 2018 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun May 06, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks for once again contributing your scintillating clarity. No one could possibly be confused henceforth by the permutations of "pissed". Neutral

Orwell wrote:
halfwise wrote:Are pissed and pissed off the same thing?

This might need some explanation and expansion for non-Australians...

1. Pissed off: to be not pissed on; no, not by anyone.

2. Pissed on: reserved for a certain kind of movie.

3. Pissed: to be open to points one and two due to the mesmerising affect (and effect) of beer.

Here to help!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Eldorion wrote: I came into this program determined to focus on the professional education about librarianship parts, but my first semester in and I discover a research passion that I've only ever previously had for history/political science and Tolkien studies.

That's exactly what I found so exciting about the university environment. There are just so many cool things to get passionate about that you could never have imagined! Who can even guess what your second semester might bring?! :carrot: :carrot:

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 UJpDi Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun May 06, 2018 4:53 pm

The cards are nice, but grieving takes time.... Sad

Bluebottle wrote: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Db8grOTWsAA1UGl

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 pm

so... Beyonce wants to sue my university.. about the best thing that has happened today.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Huh, what?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Not finding by search, need details.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu May 10, 2018 4:02 pm

I found this  https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/tidal-accused-of-falsifying-beyonce-and-kanye-west-streaming-numbers/ar-AAx0wtf

Edit: here's BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44066139

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 10, 2018 5:20 pm

{{Is that the paper you do the art work for Norc? }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 pm

David, yes that is the case. Petty, no i don't think we had that article at all. only real life sugar dating and something about letting you sell your body.

the numbers were found by a group here at my uni and then sent to DN, but tidal are threatening my uni to take back the numbers by lawsuit.

sorry if it doesn't make any sense.. been writing a home exam all day and pretty drunk right now.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 10, 2018 6:20 pm

ever tried writung your exams drunk? it's a dream...
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 pm

It's a hard knock life Laughing

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 10 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Hey if you study and go to classes drunk you need to take the exam drunk.

I had seen that Tidal Story, but it seemed to be tied to the University of Science and Technology, thought Norc was at a more liberal arts place.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 10, 2018 7:33 pm

halfwise wrote:Hey if you study and go to classes drunk you need to take the exam drunk.

I had seen that Tidal Story, but it seemed to be tied to the University of Science and Technology, thought Norc was at a more liberal arts place.

nope that's the one. it fused with a lot more colleges (? høgskole) but yeah i am at fucking uni omg..
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next