Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

+14
Ringdrotten
Forest Shepherd
Bluebottle
Amariƫ
azriel
Mrs Figg
CC12 35
MeikoElektra
David H
Tinuviel
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
halfwise
Norc
18 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 3 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:02 am

David H wrote:
halfwise wrote: A pure mathematician will never relate it to the real world

Hey now! I had some fascinating lectures on Poisson distributions that related to French criminals and German soldiers trampled by horses. It doesn't get more "real world" than that, does it? Suspect

Oh, some pure mathematicians still enjoy the real world, but they will tend to teach a bit much towards the mathematical esoterica than a non-mathematician can handle. I think in general an applied mathematician has a better handle on how the rest of the world thinks.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined. - Page 3 Empty Re: Preparing Norc, no, Eldo for a life of college debauchery. Though it won't exactly be college; the grad school version of debauchery being far more refined.

Post by David H Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 am

Apology accepted (despite the inelegant qualifiers! Wink )
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 am

That was an apology?

You give me too much credit for being bright enough to realize I'd offended. Surprised For a real apology I'd grovel....then make some smart-ass remark and run.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:58 am

Picking up on the whole alcohol vs weed debate - I've done both and alcohol was the only one that I got addicted to (for a year and a half, psychological dependency only, thank the gods). Weed didn't make me try anything harder (why bother, it's the awesomest anyway lol). It also didn't mess up my liver like regular university binge drinking sessions did...

Weed is a lot less addictive and harmful than your generic over the counter painkillers (esp those with a combo of codeine and ibuprofen). Compared to alcohol, it's also less likely to make an angry little person like me punch someone's lights out over a small matter or hit a guy with a bottle because he doesn't get the hint that I'm not interested.

Go have fun at college, Norc! You'll need a bit of buckie and the like just to get through some of your lectures (ugh, theory!). The cheaper the better too ;-)

Twisted Evil
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Whilst I agree with Azriels assessment of the relative health merits (assuming you are an adult and not a kid still-weed and developing brains-bad idea) I of course would recommend buckie, morning, noon, and dinner- you might not last long (or pass any exams and end up in a minimum wage job wiping old peoples arses) but you really wont care. drunken

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by MeikoElektra Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Whilst I agree with Azriels assessment of the relative health merits (assuming you are an adult and not a kid still-weed and developing brains-bad idea) I of course would recommend buckie, morning, noon, and dinner- you might not last long (or pass any exams and end up in a minimum wage job wiping old peoples arses) but you really wont care. drunken

Haha I did attend a few subjects exclusively while tiddly - improved them beyond bounds, and I still passed with Distinction. Danger is when you can't relax, sleep or carry a conversation unless you've had half a bottle of cheap port...
MeikoElektra
MeikoElektra
Clue-finder

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:41 pm

The rule is if you study drunk you have to take the exam drunk. Though I didn't start drinking until grad school, and didn't seriously start drinking until teaching teenagers. True story.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:47 pm

yeah..................
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Yep, every time you start Norcing around I feel that old urge to reach for a bottle.

Though in retrospect the real drinking didn't start until I discovered the joys of New York's 24 hour public transit system. How anyone makes it through college in this town with their life and finances intact mystifies me.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:46 pm

The drinking and drugs was definitely a bit of a culture shock for me when I first started after having been homeschooled for most of my education to that point. Even just hearing people talk about it made me really uncomfortable back then. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Wouldn't recommend the collage/uni cultureof drinking & drugs after the age of 19 so start early Nora

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 pm

She's right Norc, in a few years your body just can't handle the abuse so cram it all in between the time you get pushed out the door and when you arrive at the dormitory to unpack.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:38 pm

erm.. not to disappoint you guys... but my plan after college (right, idk, ..?) but I may do something completely different.... like study dog sledging or haring fiddle. or art. for a year. then .. go exchange through 4H-ish.. IFY sort of.. whatever.. then... uni.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:01 pm

When Americans say "college" we mean "Uni". Yet another one of the differences in our form of English. Razz

For what it's worth, I think you should do what you'll enjoy doing and not feel pushed into going to Uni quickly. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Eldorion wrote:For what it's worth, I think you should do what you'll enjoy doing and not feel pushed into going to Uni quickly. Very Happy (((<----the words of a loser)))

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Obviously I joke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:09 am

Taking breaks between spates of formal education I think is always a good idea.

Me: grade school -> college -> Peace Corps -> University 1 -> teaching -> university 2 -> research

Hope to end up teaching at college level (by which we mean the first 4 years), sort of a climb back into the educational womb.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:49 am

Laughing

yeah, I am always confused with what's what Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 am

Norc wrote:but I may do something completely different.... like study dog sledging or haring fiddle. or art. for a year.

Dog sledding is fine, just promise me you won't study bunny sledding! Shocked
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:57 am

Start up a Pizza Hut franzhise, become president

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:42 am

ME: school - sex/drugs/rock &Roll - Uni - sex/drugs/rock & roll - work - slow decline into mad cat lady.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 am

bunny sledding sounds fun... though a little risky.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Whilst I agree with Azriels assessment of the relative health merits (assuming you are an adult and not a kid still-weed and developing brains-bad idea) I of course would recommend buckie, morning, noon, and dinner- you might not last long (or pass any exams and end up in a minimum wage job wiping old peoples arses) but you really wont care. drunken
Oh you soppy wee Haggis,Petty !, I was not the one who quoted that. I have been reading,but,Ive been keeping quiet on this one. Flash backs to my own OUZO fuelled black-out days are not the ones I wanna remember, (actually I cant ! so thats helpful !) Very Happy
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Sorry Azriel! Embarassed (Did I mention the buckie breakfast, lunch and dinner? Tends to um lead to some minor errors- you know like my life!)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next