+3
Saradoc
leelee
Eldorion
7 posters

Go down

Eldo's parodies Empty Eldo's parodies

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 am

I finally got around to hunting down some of the parodies I posted on the Old Forum, inspired by Wisey's channellings. I posted two or three of them and have been able to find two, so I wanted to re-post them here to avoid losing them again. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Eldo's parodies Empty Re: Eldo's parodies

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 am

Would Galadriel agree with the purists? Of course she'd be on our side! Just look at this fragment found in Tolkien's old laundry hamper, apparently written in response to a now-lost letter proposing to "expand" The Hobbit to make it more like TLotR. Tragically, it was lost amidst the good Professor's dirty underwear for several decades and has only now been found, in a second-hand clothing store....

'Your movie-making is known to us,' said Galadriel, looking at Bilbo. 'But it has no place here. Yet not in vain will it prove, maybe, should you leave this land and not seek aid here, as Gandalf himself plainly purposed. For though the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth, and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings, he would not let you stray so far from your purpose. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat against those who would corrupt the very stories they claim to adapt.

'I it was who first summoned the White Council. And if my designs had not gone amiss, it would have been a record in history, and not told in any tale of Latter Days, and then mayhap we should see our stories adapted faithfully. But even now there is hope left. I will not act in this movie, my character where she should not be, or saying things she never said. For not in changing or adding, nor in mixing this line and that scene, can I avail; but only in staying true to the book at the heart of this all. But this I will say to you: your Movie stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruins of all. Yet hope remains while all the Film-makers are true.'

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:16 am

Musings on adaptation...

'Tell me,' said Pippin, 'is there any hope? For Bilbo, I mean, in his new movie?'

Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. 'There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told. And when I heard of Peter Jackson--' He broke off and strode to the window, as if his eyes could pierce the night in New Zealand. 'Peter Jackson!' he muttered. 'Why that director, I wonder?' He turned. 'Just now, Pippin, my heart almost failed me, hearing that name.'

From J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Siege of My Books", The Secret History of Middle-earth, Volume VIII.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Eldorion wrote:Would Galadriel agree with the purists? Of course she'd be on our side! Just look at this fragment found in Tolkien's old laundry hamper, apparently written in response to a now-lost letter proposing to "expand" The Hobbit to make it more like TLotR. Tragically, it was lost amidst the good Professor's dirty underwear for several decades and has only now been found, in a second-hand clothing store....

'Your movie-making is known to us,' said Galadriel, looking at Bilbo. 'But it has no place here. Yet not in vain will it prove, maybe, should you leave this land and not seek aid here, as Gandalf himself plainly purposed. For though the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth, and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings, he would not let you stray so far from your purpose. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat against those who would corrupt the very stories they claim to adapt.

'I it was who first summoned the White Council. And if my designs had not gone amiss, it would have been a record in history, and not told in any tale of Latter Days, and then mayhap we should see our stories adapted faithfully. But even now there is hope left. I will not act in this movie, my character where she should not be, or saying things she never said. For not in changing or adding, nor in mixing this line and that scene, can I avail; but only in staying true to the book at the heart of this all. But this I will say to you: your Movie stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruins of all. Yet hope remains while all the Film-makers are true.'

I really like this. Bravo.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah...so judging by the tones of various members of the forumshire, I'm guessing that hope has failed? Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Thank you, leelee! Very Happy

Saradoc - I think that our metaphorical Boromir has tried to steal the metaphorical Ring from Frodo and now in order to achieve redemption must face almost certain death at the hands of brutal Orcs, metaphorically. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 am

Metaphor? Allegory? Are you guys straying from the path of applicability? Suspect

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:40 am

Certainly not! My metaphorical interpretations reside solely in my freedom as reader, and not in the purposed domination of the author. study
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:10 am

Let me see about that... study

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:13 am

Its a book-off! Wisdom of age v the Lore of youth. Place your bets.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 am

I'm going to work soon, but I'll be back. I'll swat Eldorion like a bug, metaphorically speaking, and without resorting to any kind of research either, just drawing from the well of my voluminous wisdom and memory.

(((((Now, where are those f#$%^&g books... study study study study study study study study))))))

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:41 am

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee .... old fart. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:37 pm

(((((Rude young man... Shocked Let's see here, no need to be hasty... study study study ... and if Eldo can read this, I'm gonna grab a new set of Encryptions! Mad Anyway, where was I? study study study )))))

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:Musings on adaptation...

'Tell me,' said Pippin, 'is there any hope? For Bilbo, I mean, in his new movie?'

Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. 'There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told. And when I heard of Peter Jackson--' He broke off and strode to the window, as if his eyes could pierce the night in New Zealand. 'Peter Jackson!' he muttered. 'Why that director, I wonder?' He turned. 'Just now, Pippin, my heart almost failed me, hearing that name.'

From J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Siege of My Books", The Secret History of Middle-earth, Volume VIII.

How sweet is this now ?

Eldo's parodies Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Eldo's parodies Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:06 pm

It's.. It's ALLIIIIIVVE!!

(nice necro there Azriel).

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Oh man, I had almost forgotten about this! I'm rather proud of having made that parody/prediction so far in advance of the movies being released. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum