Ally
Gandalf's Beard
Pettytyrant101
23 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 31 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 pm

If I was Eldo I would start with the 9th Doctor, Mr Eccleston is the best young Eldo, dont listen to Petty, start at the beginning with him and Rose and slowly follow it until you get to the 11th Doctor this Matt Smith kid, and then we will ask you who you prefer, and if its Eccleston, Petty can eat my shorts, with a nice Hollandaise sauce.

cat Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:04 pm

And there I was in forgiving mood too Mrs Figg. That'll learn me!
Eccleston is a fine Doctor, and a decent starting point. However the RTD period is, well a bit ropey in the plotting stakes. And whilst what RTD did in getting an audience worked he did so by basically combining the show with a soap opera to do it.
The Eccleston and Tennant periods are not keen on alien worlds, most of it is set in or around London. Rose's family and friends feature often. For me, as an old Whovian, whilst its still definetly Doctor Who, it isnt the imaginative, exciting Who of the old stuff, or of the current Who. Its safe Who for the masses.
And the best of Ecclestons episodes- the Empty Child two parter set during the blitz is a Moffat stroy- the best of the Tennant episodes, Blink, Silence in the library, Madme Popmadour etc are also Moffat episodes. And as Moffat is now in charge and head writer, and Smith is his choice of Doctor and whom Moffat describes as 'the Doctor' you are best starting at the begining of series 5 in my view.
Besides as Mrs Figg has shamelessly admitted she likes Eccleston partly becasue she would. I doubt Eldo that will be a consideration for you as you view, therefore you want the best of the recent Doctors for characterisation, and that is Smith by a country mile. The only Doctor ever to be nominated for a BAFTA for playing the part.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:21 pm

New pics from the xmas special.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Well I must disagree with Petty on this, two of the best Who episodes I have ever seen are the one with Charles Dickens, avec Eccleston and Rose, and the one with the Stone Angels, with Tennant, and Freema, and the wonderful Sally Sparrow, they were the best Who I have ever seen, really suspenseful and exciting. Oh and the episode with Captain Jack in the 2nd WW, brilliant.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:06 pm

I fear mrs Figg you have played into my hands, the Stone Angels/Sally Sparrow episode is Blink, the Captain Jack WW2 episode the Empty Child two parter- the only non-Moffat episode you mention is the Dickens one. Rolling Eyes

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 pm

well I dont care Who, haha gettit?, wrote the series, I am talking about the Doctor I prefer, and its Mr. I look sexy in a leather coat Eccleston. So there. Put that in your pipe and blow disquieting smoke rings. poo!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:24 pm

I don't disagree with your choice of Doctor Mrs Figg- everyone has there own, they all add somehing to the role in their own way- but the question here is which Doctor wold you recommend to Eldo to start with?
And as 3 of the 4 episodes you rate as the highest were written by the curent showrunner I would recommend the higher quality of the scripts and stories from the current Doctor than any of the not so well written overall stuff which preceded it. And I also recommend, once he has watched a few and got the feel of the thing, watching the episodes you mention at his leisure, I'd also add Family of Blood to the list myself, the one where he uses the Chamelion Device to make himself plain old human John Smith, like the Dickens one its not a Moffat either but it is excellent.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Well I would start at the beginning there is no point in going to and fro, you can get a better idea of the natural progression if you start with the 3 most recent incarnations, that way you can decide which Doctor gets you hooked. i would start with the first episode with Eccleston and just go with the flow, also some characters pop up from time to time, and you might not know who the dickens they are. Go for it Eldo, you know you want to.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:46 pm

If Eldo were to start at Eccleston I would have no objections. But its taken months so far to persuade him to watch a single episode, and he still has not been persuaded, if I thought I could persuade him to watch several years worth of episodes I would. Perhaps you will have more luck.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 pm

hmmmm youngsters today, they would rather watch tedious remakes of Sherlock Holmes, than some quality tv. Maybe we could send him a few boxed set dvds of the first episodes for Christmas, that way he cant refuse to watch them because it would be rude. Twisted Evil ha ha my evil plan may work!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:14 pm

What and let the moths out of my sporran! affraid But they are happy there.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pretty Tyrant Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Petty's sporran is like an anti-tardis. Its smaller on the inside. Laughing

Clue-finder

Location : Pure Publications communal housing scheme, Scotsdale

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 pm

ha ha! does it talk? "get yer teevin mits out o me, oi aint givin yer nowt", dont know why but that sporan is Irish.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Bloody cheek the both of you. Irish indeed- pure haggis fur I'll have you know. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:58 am

Well, Eldo, I just started watching Doctor Who (a couple of months ago actually...) The first episode I EVER saw was the Impossible Astronaut. Then the one that got me hooked was End of Time part 2. I didn't even watch Eccleston Shrugging But you don't really need to... you can start at any season (with a new companion) and you'll get the gist of everything within the first episode. I'd suggest starting at season 3, but watch Girl in the Fireplace! That's my favorite queen
I find that Matt Smith is more relatebable, to me at least, because he's young, so was Tennant, but Matt's REALLY young. He plays the Doctor with this child-like innocence and genuity that I find perfect for the vibe of the show. That way, when he's angry or sad or really happy, it's a much bigger deal because it contrasts with his character more. And Steven Moffat is a much better writer hands down. Period.

Doctor Who - Page 31 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:01 am

"And Steven Moffat is a much better writer hands down. Period."- Tin

Nod Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:33 am

Mrs Figg wrote:hmmmm youngsters today, they would rather watch tedious remakes of Sherlock Holmes, than some quality tv.

I'm rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender currently (I set the DVR to record again and I have streaming copies on Amazon too), so I like quality TV. It's a great kid's adventure/fantasy story that transcends the notion of "kid's story". A lot like The Hobbit, in fact (though the comparison kind of ends there). Very Happy

That reminds me. Tin, I'm pretty sure you're also an A:TLA fan, were you aware that there is a sequel series in the works following the next avatar after Aang? Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Eldo I was joking about the quality tv bit, I hope you dont think I was getting shirty with you? Shocked
and yes you do need to start at Eccleston, the cheek of it. Suspect and the last time I did any air bending was when I went camping, ate beans for tea, and then went outside the tent in windy weather, that air was well and truly bent.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:21 pm

Mrs Figgs is in her own, windy, way being nice about this Eldo- but you know me, no bush beater (they don't always like it) stop watching piss like Sherlock and watch some Who!!!! Twisted Evil You are in danger of sliding back down my " Shrugging Yanks" list towards people who watch fox news!-and not just for a laugh.
And look at the Forumshire luminaries (myself excepted I can't even ilume the privvy in my barrel, you have to watch where you stand in there) who recommend it to you Eldo- GB, Kafria, Ally, Squach, Mrs Figg, her Maj Queen Tin herself, even Ringdrotten, and he has people shooting at him all day, has found the time.
No, I shall not except excuses Eldo- if bullying into watching is what you need, for your own good, then bullying it must be. Now start watching or you're getting such a wedgie. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

I second that wedgie pledge, it will make your eyes water and no mistake. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:23 pm

You can do the chinese burns Mrs Figgs! Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Yes I did! The Legend of Kora! It looks pretty cool! I think it comes out in the spring...

Doctor Who - Page 31 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:51 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Eldo I was joking about the quality tv bit, I hope you dont think I was getting shirty with you? Shocked

I understand, I just saw an excuse to talk about Avatar and took it. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Mrs Figgs is in her own, windy, way being nice about this Eldo- but you know me, no bush beater (they don't always like it) stop watching piss like Sherlock and watch some Who!!!! Twisted Evil

Done. Smile

Twisted Evil
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Tinuviel wrote:Yes I did! The Legend of Kora! It looks pretty cool! I think it comes out in the spring...

Awesome! Very Happy I remember when it was announced it was supposed to come out November 2011 but I had thought it was pushed back further. Thanks for the trailer, btw; I had seen a bootleg copy somewhat filmed at Comic-Con but it wasn't great quality. Razz Did you see the leaked opening credits that explained the premise? I think Viacom had all the copies taken down by now but I was lucky enough to catch it when the window was open.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next