Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 29 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:'watched it ok but it looked like Yates had got his mits on it and turned the lights off.'- Figg

coming from you thats a good review of a Moffat episode, so how do you go from that to-

'well its the end of the road for me and Doctor Who. Cant bear to watch it any more.'

Also I am curious about what it was about this episode made up your mind? Its a strong character piece which is something you have been critical of it not being in the past. It seems an odd one to choose to quit on.

I guess I realised that I don't care about the characters, heck I don't even like them, and I don't like the stories, the writing or the dark and relentlessly dreary atmosphere. I don't like the constant rehashing of classic Who, I don't like the cold and brittle humour, I don't like ONE damn thing. so its time to call a halt and stop watching because it bores me and makes me irritable. Suspect  so I wont bother to watch next week. BUT if the guy who wrote Flatline ever does another episode or if Rigsy is the next companion, then I will watch it. until then I await the Moffaxit and Cappaxit with patience. Very Happy

p.s I really think Rigsy would be an excellent companion, he is a warm and kind person, artistic and intelligent, and brave. he would have been so much better than Clara as a Capaldi companion.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:'Mrs Figg and Pettytyrant fighting all time also good. Means they love each other. Kissing. Marriage. Babies. Etc. Etc.'- Nagual

You know, when you only post when I am on a rare bit of absence of more than several hours, people just think you are a sock-puppet of mine. Mad
And you've seen my socks, when I'm using the stick to stop them climbing the barrel walls, they would make for a monstrous puppet!  Shocked  No

As to the list, you know fine well I have no truck with the last two as you cant do them with a bottle of buckie!  drunken

You can't do etcetera with a bottle of buckie? Does that mean you're up for everything else? Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:25 pm

heck I don't even like them- Figg

But the Doctors character is the same as it always was!

'the dark and relentlessly dreary atmosphere'

Best not go back and watch too much classic then- especially the Hithcliffe era where each episode its basically different scifi versions of Hammer House of Horror set!

'I don't like the constant rehashing of classic Who,'

I dont think there has been, references yes, ones you don't need to get to understand the story- but they are just references, there has been no remaking, rebooting or rehashing of anything from Classic.
The first 2 story of this series is a sequel of sorts to a classic episode, but its fully explained within itself too.
Besides under RTD it was full of references to classic-when he brought back the Daleks, Cybermen, the Master- they were all references to classic Who not inventions of Nu- after 10 years of course the big references like those are long used up.

'the cold and brittle humour'

Dunno about cold or brittle, funny yes.

'I don't like ONE damn thing'

In relation to the humour comment I don't see how any Who fan could not have enjoyed the Doctor joyriding Davros' Dalek proof chair- especially his response after they try to exterminate him and fail-

'Proposition. Davros is an insane, paranoid genius who has survived among several billion trigger-happy mini-tanks for centuries. Conclusion? I'm definitely having his chair.'

or Missy's -'I love killing clever clogs, they make the best faces.'

or even Davros- who cracks 2 jokes in this one! My favourite probably being when the recaptured Doctor wakes back up in Davros' room sitting down and Davros opens with-

'I hope you are grateful. It wasn't easy to procure. And very nearly unique, of course. You should feel privileged. The only other chair on Skaro.'

'if the guy who wrote Flatline ever does another episode or if Rigsy is the next companion, then I will watch it.'

Well he is writing 1 episode this series 'The Girl Who Died', and Rigsby is in this series somewhere as he was in the trailer.
So guess we will see you sooner rather than later after all!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Been a lot of talk about this series ratings- but the consolidated figures are out and Who finished 13th in the BARB charts- as usual it was mainly beaten by soaps- Eastenders, Coronation St, and Emmerdale take up 5 of the top 10 slots. And ther Rugby World Cup is in there too.
It was the highest rated drama for the week on BBC, and on other channels in drama it was only beaten by Downtown Abbey and Doc Martin, both on ITV.
Overall it got 6.54 million, which is down on last series average by 0,4 million- however these figures do not include figures for those watching on streaming services like netflix ect and going on Who's previous viewer watching patterns, and the increasing number of ways it can be viewed those missing .4 (or more)are just watching elsewhere in the uncounted, as yet, figures.

Overseas final figures are not available yet, but numbers are up so far in Australia, Canada and the US.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:56 pm

Does that mean you're up for everything else?- Blue

After a few bottles? Oh yes, yes indeed I am! Twisted Evil drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 pm

I was thinking just the other day that maybe it might be fun to watch Who eventually. Then I thought about the oh so supposedly dark Doctor and the words "high functioning sosiopat" came to me...

When is Moffat leaving this show you say?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: heck I don't even like them- Figg

But the Doctors character is the same as it always was!

don't be silly.

'the dark and relentlessly dreary atmosphere'

Best not go back and watch too much classic then- especially the Hithcliffe era where each episode its basically  different scifi versions of Hammer House of Horror set!

I don't intend to.

'I don't like the constant rehashing of classic Who,'

I dont think there has been, references yes, ones you don't need to get to understand the story- but they are just references, there has been no remaking, rebooting or rehashing of anything from Classic.
The first 2 story of this series is a sequel of sorts to a classic episode, but its fully explained within itself too.
Besides under RTD it was full of references to classic-when he brought back the Daleks, Cybermen, the Master- they were all references to classic Who not inventions of Nu- after 10 years of course the big references like those are long used up.

Moffat uses classic Who as fanservice, he shoves everything in ad nauseum. it makes the Daleks boring, he did the same thing to his own creations. He over used the Weeping Angels, they stopped being scary or interesting.

'the cold and brittle humour'

Dunno about cold or brittle, funny yes.

I didn't laugh.

'I don't like ONE damn thing'

In relation to the humour comment I don't see how any Who fan could not have enjoyed the Doctor joyriding Davros' Dalek proof chair- especially his response after they try to exterminate him and fail-

cheap laugh

'Proposition. Davros is an insane, paranoid genius who has survived among several billion trigger-happy mini-tanks for centuries. Conclusion? I'm definitely having his chair.'

or Missy's -'I love killing clever clogs, they make the best faces.'

meh

or even Davros- who cracks 2 jokes in this one! My favourite probably being when the recaptured Doctor wakes back up in Davros' room sitting down and Davros opens with-

'I hope you are grateful. It wasn't easy to procure. And very nearly unique, of course. You should feel privileged. The only other chair on Skaro.'

'if the guy who wrote Flatline ever does another episode or if Rigsy is the next companion, then I will watch it.'

Well he is writing 1 episode this series 'The Girl Who Died',

cheers cool!

and Rigsby is in this series somewhere as he was in the trailer.
So guess we will see you sooner rather than later after all!

Shocked I didn't know that! cheers sunny I love Rigsy he's awesome! yay. cheers
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:29 pm

Then I thought about the oh so supposedly dark Doctor and the words "high functioning sosiopat" came to me... - Amarie

I don't think 12 is dark, not as dark as 1 was for the first series or 7 in is second series, or 6 throughout his time on TV.
And 12 is less dark after the events of the xmas episode now than he was last series (not that I thought he was dark then either mind you, I dont really get what people mean by it, he was just more honest about how he goes about what he does)- nor is he preoccupied any more with any self doubt or questioning- he is very much, especially in the second part of the opener, just being the Doctor at his core, doing what the Doctor does- fighting the monsters, acting the fool whilst being cleverer than everyone else in the room and wining the day for all the right reasons.

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:36 pm

don't be silly-figg

Having watched the show my entire life I can say without a shadow of a doubt that 12 is most definitely, recognisably, the Doctor. Its the same character I was watching as a kid.

he shoves everything in ad nauseum. it makes the Daleks boring- Figg

They have to use the Daleks once every series at least- its in the contract with the Terry Nation estate who on the rights to them. Moffat has in fact been a ot more inventive with him in his run than RTD was- under RTD they were always the same- take over the universe or destroy it. Moffat has tried different thins to add some variety- the multicoloured ones that were pure DNA, Rusty and going inside a Dalek, using Davros as the main character in the Dalek story this series. He has also added to Dalek lore and given us a few more hints about Dalek thinking and how they operate.

'cheap laugh'

You have no funny bone or soul if you cant raise a chuckle at the notion of Davros sending out his Daleks to try to find a chair on Skaro!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Amarië wrote:I was thinking just the other day that maybe it might be fun to watch Who eventually. Then I thought about the oh so supposedly dark Doctor and the words "high functioning sosiopat" came to me...

When is Moffat leaving this show you say?

its not soon enough. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:48 pm

I thought you were leaving!!!! Banghead

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Then I thought about the oh so supposedly dark Doctor and the words "high functioning sosiopat" came to me... - Amarie

I don't think 12 is dark, not as dark as 1 was for the first series or 7 in is second series, or 6 throughout his time on TV.

wot? *splutter* he's as friggin dark as Draculas underpants! they market his darkness, they have his dark eyebrows as a signpost to his darkness, the show is literally dark, most of it is shot in shadows so dark even Yates would think they were overdoing the darkness. its a fucking Gloomathon, a crepuscular dourfest of epic proportions, bats bump into walls its so dark, sheesh! 'less dark' Rolling Eyes

And 12 is less dark after the events of the xmas episode now than he was last series (not that I thought he was dark then either mind you, I dont really get what people mean by it, he was just more honest about how he goes about what he does)- nor is he preoccupied any more with any self doubt or questioning- he is very much, especially in the second part of the opener, just being the Doctor at his core, doing what the Doctor does- fighting the monsters, acting the fool whilst being cleverer than everyone else in the room and wining the day for all the right reasons.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 pm

most of it is shot in shadows so dark even Yates would think they were overdoing the darkness.- Figg

Um most of the first two episodes were shoti n sunny Tenerife- including all the exteriors of Skaro- and the main Dalek tower is well lit- the only place thats dark is where Davros is- just as it was dark in Genesis, and dark in RTD era too when Davros was in it.

And besides I was under the impression we were talking about the Doctors character. I would not describes 12's as dark.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:

he shoves everything in ad nauseum. it makes the Daleks boring- Figg

They have to use the Daleks once every series at least- its in the contract with the Terry Nation estate who on the rights to them. Moffat has in fact been a ot more inventive with him in his run than RTD was- under RTD they were always the same-

like Moffats Daleks, only RTDs Daleks were scary and interesting, and the very best Dalek scene in NuWho was between Eccleston/Rose and a Dalek

take over the universe or destroy it. Moffat has tried different thins to add some variety- the multicoloured ones

so different because of the colours then, but not much else, they still want to take over the universe and destroy it, that's what they do.

that were pure DNA, Rusty and going inside a Dalek, using Davros as the main character in the Dalek story this series. He has also added to Dalek lore and given us a few more hints about Dalek thinking and how they operate.

'cheap laugh'

You have no funny bone or soul if you cant raise a chuckle at the notion of Davros sending out his Daleks to try to find a chair on Skaro!

I have a sense of humour which reacts to funny things. if its funny I laugh, if its naff I don't.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:21 pm

the very best Dalek scene in NuWho was between Eccleston/Rose and a Dalek- Figg

I disagree, same episode different scene, its either the initial scene where he is in the cell with the Dalek or the conversation where the Dalek concludes that the Doctor would make a good Dalek.
Though I also have a soft spot for its spiritual successor, and rusty the Dalek from Into the Dalek and his conclusion of 12.
But the 12/Davros conversation is in my view far, far superior to the 10. Davros confrontation, and its good. But I much prefer quiet cunning, scientific Davros of Genesis to ranty screamy Davros.

'RTDs Daleks were scary and interesting'

They are not interesting they didn't do anything interesting they turned up exterminated shit and got defeated- the exact problem Moffat pointed out years ago- if all they do is turn up and get beat every time they get less and less a serious threat. You cant keep rebooting Dalek: Invasion Earth every year. You have to find new angles to explore with them, such as via their creator, or by getting a literal new perspective on them as in Into the Dalek. Like or loathe what he has done with Dalek stories, Moffat has undeniably been more inventive in their uses and presentation than RTD was.

'but not much else'

Not true- we have learned quite a bit about Daleks in the last two series alone under Moffat- that the potential for a Dalek to choose good over evil exists, that a Dalek can have self awareness of its own genetic trap and that it can have freewill. We learned that the reason they shout exterminate all the time is because their weapons are fired by emotion and barking exterminate charges the gun and the emotion. We learned that the casing can be semi-autonomous and will translate any positive emotional expression as a negative, either vocally or by firing the weapon. We learned that the Dalek controls its unit by a telepathic interface that burrows into the skull. And we discovered that Daleks are so hardwired for survival that they never really die, instead they keep ageing even after the body has aged so much it starts to collapse and liquefy, and that Daleks simply discard their old into their equivalent of the sewer system, and that in fact in dalek the word sewer and graveyard have the same meaning (also reminiscent of how the original Kaleds discarded the sick and the mutated to the wastelands without a second thought).
And that's before we got into the stuff we learned about Davros which informs on the Dalek nature.

So in fact, yeah, quite a lot else.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:the very best Dalek scene in NuWho was between Eccleston/Rose and a Dalek- Figg

I disagree, same episode different scene, its either the initial scene where he is in the cell with the Dalek or the conversation where the Dalek concludes that the Doctor would make a good Dalek.
Though I also have a soft spot for its spiritual successor, and rusty the Dalek from Into the Dalek and his conclusion of 12.
But the 12/Davros conversation is in my view far, far superior to the 10. Davros confrontation, and its good. But I much prefer quiet cunning, scientific Davros of Genesis to ranty screamy Davros.

far superior slap laugh NOW that's funny!

'RTDs Daleks were scary and interesting'

They are not interesting they didn't do anything interesting they turned up exterminated shit and got defeated- the exact problem Moffat pointed out years ago- if all they do is turn up and get beat every time they get less and less a serious threat. You cant keep rebooting Dalek: Invasion Earth every year. You have to find new angles to explore with them, such as via their creator, or by getting a literal new perspective on them as in Into the Dalek. Like or loathe what he has done with Dalek stories, Moffat has undeniably been more inventive in their uses and presentation than RTD was.

exactly, you cant keep rebooting Daleks which is exactly what Moffat does, only he paints them different colours and hope nobody notices. so why does Moffat shove them in every 5 minutes?. it shows lack of imagination.

'but not much else'

Not true- we have learned quite a bit about Daleks in the last two series alone under Moffat- that the potential for a Dalek to choose good over evil exists, that a Dalek can have self awareness of its own genetic trap and that it can have freewill. We learned that the reason they shout exterminate all the time is because their weapons are fired by emotion and barking exterminate charges the gun and the emotion. We learned that the casing can be semi-autonomous and will translate any positive emotional expression as a negative, either vocally or by firing the weapon. We learned that the Dalek controls its unit by a telepathic interface that burrows into the skull. And we discovered that Daleks are so hardwired for survival that they never really die, instead they keep ageing even after the body has aged so much it starts to collapse and liquefy, and that Daleks simply discard their old into their equivalent of the sewer system, and that in fact in dalek the word sewer and graveyard have the same meaning (also reminiscent of how the original Kaleds discarded the sick and the mutated to the wastelands without a second thought).
And that's before we got into the stuff we learned about Davros which informs on the Dalek nature.

So in fact, yeah, quite a lot else.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:16 pm

NOW that's funny!- Figg

It had funny moments too, yes, thats one of the ways in which its superior!

'so why does Moffat shove them in every 5 minutes?. it shows lack of imagination.'

No it shows he is doing the job he is contracted to do- which because of the stipulations of the licensing agreement with the Nation estate include having them appear in every series- Moffat doesn't have a choice, all he can do is try to come up with new ways to use them that's not just another invasion/destroy everything story. If RTD had never left he too would be cranking out a Dalek story every year as well. Its part of the gig.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey you! stop drawing me back in to the argufying! Handbag
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Damn it I was hoping your crabbit meant you wouldn't notice that. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Hey you! stop drawing me back in to the argufying! Handbag ............
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Damn it I was hoping your crabbit meant you wouldn't notice that. Mad

Look, we, your viewing public are enjoying this * er cough* debate ! do you mind !

Doctor Who [11] - Page 29 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [11] - Page 29 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:46 pm

azriel wrote:
Look, we, your viewing public are enjoying this * er cough* debate ! do you mind !

It's great. It's a bit like what happens when an unstoppable object collides with an unmoveable object. Or two kids in the playground arguing who's imaginary friend is better.

There will be hair pulling and stamping of feet soon. And at least one of them is old enough to be losing hair and getting bunions on their feet.. Twisted Evil
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:NOW that's funny!- Figg

It had funny moments too, yes, thats one of the ways in which its superior!

'so why does Moffat shove them in every 5 minutes?. it shows lack of imagination.'

No it shows he is doing the job he is contracted to do- which because of the stipulations of the licensing agreement with the Nation estate include having them appear in every series- Moffat doesn't have a choice, all he can do is try to come up with new ways to use them that's not just another invasion/destroy everything story. If RTD had never left he too would be cranking out a Dalek story every year as well. Its part of the gig.

the stipulations of the licensing agreement say at least ONCE in every series. that's ONCE. not LOTS. does Moffat know that lots is not once?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Nagual wrote:
azriel wrote:

It's great. It's a bit like what happens when an unstoppable object collides with an unmoveable object. Or two kids in the playground arguing who's imaginary friend is better.

There will be hair pulling and stamping of feet soon. And at least one of them is old enough to be losing hair and getting bunions on their feet.. Twisted Evil  

well at least he hasn't got hot flushes. Laughing

Suspect
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

And at least one of them is old enough to be losing hair and getting bunions on their feet..

Mmmmmmm, let me think which one ?... red hair.....both have that......non trousered?.........both can do that........lives in a barrel !!! Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 pm

well at least he hasn't got hot flushes............

{{{ bet he does }}}..................

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next