Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 16 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by David H Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:its not subtle, its not funny, its creepy- Dave

Not saying it was a finest moment but its no worse than making an oral sex reference in an episode where a guys girlfriend has been reduced to a face on a concrete slab- and in an episode where the main villain was designed and invented by a prize winner in the children program Blue Peter.

Wait, are we talking about Amy or the "apple tree incident"? scratch
Both false notes in my book, just one was a lot filthier and hairier than the other... pale

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:21 pm

pale  doesn't bare thinking about.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:41 pm

I could 'do a you' and post many vids of Amy being tortured on a regular basis.- Figg

If you were doing a me you would cite the evidence, give the dialogue frrm the script and explain the context in which it falls for the character and the arc and then give your interpretation of what that is saying and why.
I am genuinely interested- for example the scenes I used to illustrate the development of Amy and how she reacts and why to the events around Demons Run and the loss of her child- if you are right then my entire reading of the narrative of the Ponds run, the purpose of those scenes and what it is trying to say about the characters must be wrong- therefore having your counter point to those scenes- what they represent why, where that fits in the narrative would at least provide a basis for debate and enlighten me as to how you see the narrative and the characters.

The BBC have released stills from the prequel minisode to series 9- The Doctor's meditation- which I assume will be released on youtube at some point, but its definitely being shown along with the cinema broadcasts of last serioes finale. In countries who get it Mad

Spoiler:

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:34 pm

I am glad the sudden burst of insight and understanding or both self and others earlier was only temporarily. It was rather eerie... pale

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:28 pm

That's the thing with buckie its quite tricky afterwards to actually remember exactly what the insight was or what it was we understood at the time scratch Perhaps if I can get just as drunk again it will come back to me Twisted Evil drunken

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I could 'do a you' and post many vids of Amy being tortured on a regular basis.- Figg

If you were doing a me you would cite the evidence, give the dialogue frrm the script and explain the context in which it falls for the character and the arc and then give your interpretation of what that is saying and why.
I am genuinely interested- for example the scenes I used to illustrate the development of Amy and how she reacts and why to the events around Demons Run and the loss of her child- if you are right then my entire reading of the narrative of the Ponds run, the purpose of those scenes and what it is trying to say about the characters must be wrong- therefore having your counter point to those scenes- what they represent why, where that fits in the narrative would at least provide a basis for debate and enlighten me as to how you see the narrative and the characters.

I don't need to do all that. Your entire reading is wrong. Amy doesn't develop, she hardly ever reacts in a normal human way, because the writing is so bad. they fail to make her a realistic person. she is a bag full of clichés strung together. she contradicts herself, she is trapped by the writers lack of imagination. she could have been interesting but she turned out to be the most badly drawn female character in Who history. all her preoccupations revolve round her relationships with 'her boys' she totally lacks interest in whats going on around her, she goes from a demeaning boring job and ends up in a cliché girlie job. its like they strung together everything a girl is supposed to want from life and shoved it in with the kitchen sink. boyfriend, husband, lovers tiffs, babies, modelling career, nice house. blah blah blah. being a companion has not changed her one iota. being the Doctors companion has meant being tortured like Penelope Pitstop every fucking episode, damsel in distress getting her uterus taken out of her control. but is she damaged by all this mental torment? nope. anyone else would have become a gibbering idiot, but not our Amy, because she is supposed to be 'feisty', she isn't feisty so much as brittle and shallow, truncated, deformed. weird. its not her fault, its the writers, they turned her femininity against her.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Spoiler:

Apparently
Spoiler:
from in Night of The Doctor Suspect

Probably just a case of the BBC being cheap and reusing old props but the leader of The Sisterhood from NOTD is returning afterall...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Your entire reading is wrong. _ Figg

That you have yet to justify.

'Amy doesn't develop, she hardly ever reacts in a normal human way'

I'll take this a point a time, so lets start with the first one- 'Amy doesn't develop'.

This I feel is the easiest one to debunk as there are several themes regarding Amy I have already touched on which are developed from the very first episode until the very end of her time on the show. Many of them coexist and interact with each other, as such experiences and emotions do in real life.
The most obvious themes are- the girl who waited, her inability to express emotion and open up to those close to her, her blinkered view of the Doctor, her inability to make decisions which pertain directly to her own life, and an outward shell of aggression- these are central themes which are all caused as a result of her encounter with the Doctor as a child.
But its also worth noting that we are also shown personality traits which are very positive too and come from source unaffected by the Doctor- Amelia is self determined, totally self reliant, she is brave and is not easily phased on scared.
Her very Scottish bloodymindedness, self-determination and self-reliance are still in older Amy and are summed up in an exchange regarding her accent in 11th Hour-

AMY: You are so sure that I'm coming.
DOCTOR: Yeah, I am.
AMY: Why?
DOCTOR: Cause you're the Scottish girl in the English village, and I know how that feels.
AMY: Oh, do you?
DOCTOR: All these years living here, most of your life, and you've still got that accent. Yeah, you're coming.

We see that Amelia is brave in this exchange among others and just her general demeanour and actions-

11th Hour

DOCTOR: So, your aunt, where is she?
AMELIA: She's out.
DOCTOR: And she left you all alone?
AMELIA: I'm not scared.
DOCTOR: Course, you're not. You're not scared of anything. Box falls out of the sky, man falls out of a box, man eats fish custard, and look at you, just sitting there. So you know what I think?
AMELIA: What?
DOCTOR: Must be a hell of a scary crack in your wall.

It is these positive aspects that Amelia possessed that the adult Amy has to fight to regain, free of the other stuff caused by the Doctor which messed up her life.
This is why later the Doctor will refer to Amelia as “Little Amelia, before I got it all wrong”.
We start with Amelia, we end up with what Amelia could have been, Amy- Amelia's potential with all the best traits brought out in her and grown by her time with the Doctor, and all the damage done emotionally resolved.

In a sense Amy's story is a journey to become the adult Amelia should and could have been.
And for adult Amy to reach that point she has to overcome all the problems the Doctor caused- the inability to express emotion, the inability to settle in any aspect of life from relationship to work ect.

Amy's inability to make final decisions is reflected from the beginning in her decision to run off with the Doctor on the eve of her wedding-

The Beast Below-

AMY: You know what I said about getting back for tomorrow morning? Have you ever run away from something because you were scared, or not ready, or just, just because you could?

The theme is first brought up in 11th Hour, not just in the final reveal that it is the night before her wedding to Rory, but also in the exchange when the Doctor asks Amy to join him on the TARDIS-

AMY: When I was a kid, you said there was a swimming pool and a library, and the swimming pool was in the library.
DOCTOR: Yeah. Not sure where it's got to now. It'll turn up. So, coming?
AMY: No.
DOCTOR: You wanted to come fourteen years ago.
AMY: I grew up.
DOCTOR: Don't worry. I'll soon fix that.

This exchange is opposites of what is and will happen. Amy never has grown up, and the Doctors claim he can fix that is not quite as it seems (remember we know from Pandorica he is already lying at this point about why he wants her to travel with him) the Doctors claim he can fix her is true, to a point, through going with him she can resolve the damage he has caused her as he can, as he does with human companions in particular, bring out the best in her, but the theme of Amy growing up and never having done so as she should have is reoccurring, and its tied to her emotional inability to settle into any life style or pattern of being, its continued in Amy's Choice-

AMY: We're in a time machine. It can be the night before our wedding for as long as we want.
RORY: We have to grow up eventually.
AMY: Says who?

And the Power of Three is directly about it as that part of her arc heads towards its resolution in Angels Take Manhattan-

Power of Three-

RORY: We have two lives. Real life and Doctor life. Except real life doesn't get much of a look in.
AMY: What do we do?
RORY: Choose?
(The sound of a Tardis materialising.)
AMY: Not today, though.
RORY: Nah, not today.

What's interesting here is that by this point Rory has become complicit in 'Doctor Life', no longer the boyfriend tagging along but the husband who is co-partner in their choice to remain a part of the Doctor's life, but that's part of another development arc of the relationship between Amy and Rory.
This goes all the way back and is also expressed in Amy's Choice- the choice is never about who Amy wants out of the two males in her life, its about Amy's inability to express who she wants to them- the problem is only resolved when Amy comes to the realisation of how much she loved Rory and little she expressed that to him.

What's important is that Amy's problems in making a final decision when it pertains to her own life, her inability to settle because she is still waiting for the Doctor to gate-crash her life at any moment, stemming from the Doctor's interference in her childhood are still present in Power of Three, but through her experiences and growth how it manifests has development.
At root its the same issue as not being able to settle in a job, or running away the night before her wedding, or not being able to at first even admit the true depth of her feelings for Rory. But it has developed and grown to the point in Power where its openly acknowledged and discussed as a problem (something younger Amy could not have done incidently) but not resolved.
Amy finally resolved the last of her issues with not being able to emotionally open up to Rory in Asylum, marking the final development in another emotional beat in Amy's life- but the underlining issue of the arc yet to be resolved, and which only is finally in the last episode, is resolving making final choices affecting her own life- capping the entire development of this characteristic from 11th Hour's Amelia to its end with Amy's final after-word in Angels.

Now lets talk about making final choices affecting her life- something she cannot seem to do throughout- making choices in general she is good at, its only when it comes to herself she has a major stumbling block. She is still, even right up to the events of Angels the Girl Who Waited, little Amelia sitting on her packed suitcase waiting all night for her magical Raggedly Doctor in his magic box with its swimming pools inside libraries, to return and take her off on exciting adventures.

First how she responds - her tendency is to clamp up emotionally, not let it show, often covering with a put down, a sharp verbal jab, but to avoid the matter where at all possible.
When she runs off with the Doctor she doesn't tell him its the night before her wedding, she tells him she wants to be back for 'stuff'. This is the first big sign we get that she is putting off making a decision.
Its dealt with more directly in the next episode, Beast Below when they discuss running away and finally confronted directly in the first Angels two-parter- which not coincidentally is Amy's first meeting with River.
But its by no means the last time it comes up or affects how she acts.

Its at the heart of her conversation with Rory in Amy's Choice, its at the root of her inability to keep down a job, it' still a live issue in Dinosaurs after she has supposedly settled down and is living with Rory in a nice house.
Her inability to communicate emotionally comes up often, especially from her own family- Rory for example tells her when he finds out she thought she was pregnant, that he should have told her, that he could have helped. Likewise when Amy is talking with her daughter about the murder of Madame Kovarian River knows her mother well enough for this exchange to occur-

RIVER: How are you doing?
AMY: How do you think?
RIVER: Well, I don't know unless you tell me.

That's classic Amy, she deflects the answer by not giving her feelings at all, even to her own daughter, until River prompts her by gently pointing out she is clamping up again.
Its worth noting also that the negative effect the Doctor had on Amy's life produces negative results in Amy's life when it rest restricts her ability to make choices- and making choices is what Amy's story is all about- in the case of her inability to emotionally open up to those around her it causes her to kill Kovarian and nearly end her marriage.
As that is another example of where it directly effects her life in a negative mater.
Its overcoming these negative traits however that lead her to the eventual happy ever after life that she and Rory get at the end (and which of course is part of the overall thematic thread of the Pond era of fairytale)

There is another crucial Amy character trait which runs throughout and is developed and shown in different ways- her capacity for self-sacrifice. She does it several times and in several ways, she first does so in Amy's Choice when she thinks Rory has been killed and realises how much she did love him and that she never told him (see above character trait) and decides to end the dream, if it is , by suicide.
It applies to her decision to sacrifice her own happiness of raising River and having the baby she so recently lost restored to her, so that the River she has come to know and think of as her daughter will not be destroyed.
She does it in Angels when she joins Rory in his jump from the building.
And she does it one last time, with a twist in Angels when she chooses to leave the Doctor and live the rest of her days in happiness with Rory- this last time the sacrifice is not hers, the pain is left with the Doctor, and it is he who needs comforting afterwards, first by River, then by Amy herself in her afterword.
In the end, the damage inflicted on Amy's life by the Doctor is left behind by Amy's choices and growth by the end, and returned to sender.

Lets talk now about her loss of River and see how Amy reacts to that- her first reactions is outright emotional bereavement- its screams of anguish and tears of pain, her second is to clamp up emotionally- when the Doctor tries to tell her how sorry he is she turns her face from him in anger but she doesn't express her feelings more than bitter anger, but notably then resigned acceptance when she accepts Vastra's claim that this was not the Doctor's fault. But she cannot express how she feels. She is bottling her feelings up again.
When the Doctor seems to have worked out where her daughter is and then runs off, leaving only River seemingly knowing what's going on Amy still cannot express her feelings save through angry actions- she picks up a gun and threatens River with it to learn what has happened to her daughter- Rory tries to clam her and get her to put the gun down, but River knows her mother and knows what's going on emotionally with her and tells Rory its ok, 'she's fine'.
And when Amy confronts and kills Kovarian we see what bottling her feelings up does to her, and how she can then express that, all that unexpressed pain breaks the damn. Its not healthy and needs to be overcome and resolved emotionally. It is by the end, but not yet.
When Amy finally finds out everything about River and what the events surrounding Rivers and Mels upbringing mean in terms of changing time we see that Amy chooses self sacrifice and to give up any hope of seeing her daughter again as a child, but accepts the daughter she knows and embarks on a mother/daughter relationship with her from then on.
So the traits Amy displays in reaction to the events around her child are anger, blame, threats, clamping up emotionally, acceptance and self-sacrifice for the good of another life.
Nothing is resolved for Amy at this point, these things don't get resolved till much later in her arc, but they are all present in her actions and choices throughout.

All character traits which are both consistent and part of developing arcs throughout her time on the show.
Amy acts exactly as her character would dictate she acts to these events. That's good and consistent writing.

'she hardly ever reacts in a normal human way'- Figg

I think all of the above amply displays just how human Amy's reactions her- her reaction to being told she was making up something which had happened was to clamp up emotionally- 4 psychiatrists just taught her no one would believe her anyway. Her constant waiting on the Doctor to return led to lead a life in which she was never settled, not in a physical holding down a job, lifestyle way, or emotionally. His abandonment of her led her to have issues of trust, further reinforcing her inability to express her true feelings and emotions on many occasions and making her often sharp and abrasive with the world and deepening her sense of never being settled.
Her reaction and actions in response to the loss of her child including killing Kovarian, accepting Rivers fate and who she is as her daughter, her pain, her anger, her resolve, her understanding, her acceptance, her faith in River and building of a new relationship with her, all of it solidly rooted in her very human character traits.

I can understand Figg if you simply don't like Amy's character and her development across the series but to claim that there is no development, when in reality Amy is one of the most mutli-layered companions, male or female, in terms of development in Who, is just demonstrably wrong.

There will be a follow up piece responding to the torture aspect of your post, I felt this one was long enough on its own.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:24 pm

holy shit! where to begin.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:29 pm

How long can this debate possibly go on? Laughing

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 pm

At a bare minimum, until Moffat is no longer the Doctor Who showrunner.

More likely: until Doctor Who is (re) cancelled.

Most likely: until the heat death of the universe.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm thinking it will be the third option. Unless they're is something further out we can bet on.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Razz to option 3 and response.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:48 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Your entire reading is wrong. _ Figg

That you have yet to justify.

hold on to your Trump.

'Amy doesn't develop, she hardly ever reacts in a normal human way'

I'll take this a point a time, so lets start with the first one- 'Amy doesn't develop'.

This I feel is the easiest one to debunk as there are several themes regarding Amy I have already touched on which are developed from the very first episode until the very end of her time on the show. Many of them coexist and interact with each other, as such experiences and emotions do in real life.
The most obvious themes are- the girl who waited, her inability to express emotion and open up to those close to her, her blinkered view of the Doctor, her inability to make decisions which pertain directly to her own life, and an outward shell of aggression- these are central themes which are all caused as a result of her encounter with the Doctor as a child.

well we are told that she cant express emotion, how very convenient for the actress. theres non of that nasty complicated acting stuff to do. just stare a bit and pout like you've got problemz, sorted. cheque please. Outward shell of aggression, see, I don't get that from Amy, I just get petulant, like that's part of her natural character, as is insulting Rory every 5 minutes. that kind of bitchy behaviour you seem to find unacceptable in Rose but because Amy is Scottish and therefore above reproach, her nastiness is A OK
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:58 pm

well we are told that she cant express emotion, how very convenient for the actress. theres non of that nasty complicated acting stuff to do. just stare a bit and pout like you've got problemz, sorted. cheque please. - Figg

Why are you going after the actress when we are discussing the character of Amy? This is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

'as is insulting Rory every 5 minutes'

Using insults affectionately is something Scots do daily, I even do it at work, call someone affectionately a 'daft ole bugger', always raises a smile. The very few times Amy does do it in other circumstances it is part of all the stuff I just discussed above.

'that kind of bitchy behaviour you seem to find unacceptable in Rose but because Amy is Scottish and therefore above reproach, her nastiness is A OK'

No its because with Rose there is no reason or purpose to it other than its how she is as a person, and there is no evidence its meant to viewed as a negative, or that its addressed or resolved by the end, she is just as petty, jealous and bitchy when she comes back and whines about how she was there first as at the start.
With Amy her use of put downs, her bluntness is self defence, a way of keeping her feelings too herself, and its something which she does overcome by the end again as part of all the arc stuff discussed above.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:01 pm

''This exchange is opposites of what is and will happen. Amy never has grown up, and the Doctors claim he can fix that is not quite as it seems (remember we know from Pandorica he is already lying at this point about why he wants her to travel with him) the Doctors claim he can fix her is true, to a point, through going with him she can resolve the damage he has caused her as he can, as he does with human companions in particular, bring out the best in her, but the theme of Amy growing up and never having done so as she should have is reoccurring, and its tied to her emotional inability to settle into any life style or pattern of being, its continued in Amy's Choice-''

exactly Amy has never grown up, she hasn't developed. Exactly what my argument was in the beginning. she does not develop at all. The Doctor acts like a creepy Ronald Macdonald, he makes her his rag doll, he arrests her development, but the tv show just glorifies emotional child abuse, its saying that kids are going to be fucked up because they don't get what they want from life. many kids don't get that pet rabbit, many kids get lied to, it doesn't turn you into an emotionally stunted person. the tv show is patronising. it also shows Amy as feeble minded, she tries to welch out on her wedding night, that says a lot about her supposed love of Rory second best. Amy has Stockholm syndrome, she loves her abuser and tries to shag him, just cant let go, and every time she is with him she is emotionally, physically and mentally tortured again and again. its sicko.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:26 pm

exactly Amy has never grown up, she hasn't developed. Exactly what my argument was in the beginning. she does not develop at all.- Figg

No the development is from the Amy we meet to the Amy that departs- who is a complete person, shorn of the emotional damage and baggage, grown as a person in understanding and able to be comfortable in who she is and in how her life turned out base don her own choices.
Amy at the end is a far cry from the Amy we meet in 11th Hour, I don't know how you can deny what is very obvious.
The question is only really what changes between the Amy of 11th Hour and the Amy how chooses to be with Rory and live without ever having 'doctor life' again?
And the answer to that is all the character development you keep pretending isn't there.
Why do you think they wrote all these scenes? Just to kill a bit of time?

'The Doctor acts like a creepy Ronald Macdonald, he makes her his rag doll'

This where I think you are imposing something on the narrative for outside which has no basis in what's going on. There is no indication that the Doctors interference in Amys life has any objective at all- its an accident, the TARDIS is drawn to crash close to the crack in the fabric of space and time. He cannot be making her anything has he had no intentions at all when he met her or afterwards, other than to close the crack in the wall and come back and take her for a trip in the TARDIS. That was it.

'he arrests her development'

No he doesn't- that's the problem- she still grows up, but she grows up as someone who had to deal with all the problem is his arrival in her life left her with. Its this the Doctor is trying to fix, all the best things about Amy still are preserved and nurtured, but she has to purge herself of the baggage he left ion her life- and that's what her story arc is. In the end the Amelia we see in the final shot, she grows up to be the best she can be, but she will go through a lot getting there- a lot you are denying even exists at all.

'the tv show just glorifies emotional child abuse, its saying that kids are going to be fucked up because they don't get what they want from life'

Thats just seems like an overblown use of language to me from any angle- this is so far from child abuse I don't know where to begin. And its not saying Amy gets messed up because she doesn't get what she wants, she gets mucked up because firstly something she knows was real she is told all her childhood she invented, and secondly because a crack in space and time pours through her head every night and changes her timeline at regular intervals by swallowing up events and people from it.
The former is reason for not sharing your feelings, the latter is the usual sort of Who scifi malarky- neither is even comparable to child abuse.

'it also shows Amy as feeble minded, she tries to welch out on her wedding night, that says a lot about her supposed love of Rory second best.'

She doesn't try to welch out, she cant make the decision, she cant commit her life, especially now that her imaginary friend has finally actually turned up- she runs away, just as the Doctor once ran away from home after stealing a TARDIS.
But she doesn't cancel the wedding. But all the issues already discussed, her problems expressing her feelings and emotions outwardly ect get in the way. Nevertheless she does continually make progress in dealing with them and she resumes her relationship with Rory, marries him and their are continual beats of growth in that relationship all along the way, their marriage runs into trouble only when it confronts head on her inability to speak about whats going on with her, then resolves with her overcoming it and speaking about it openly. Its a story about overcoming emotional pain and finding new strength from doing so.

'she loves her abuser and tries to shag him, just cant let go'

She doesnt love her abuser unless you think Rory is abusing her- that she loves Rory could not be made clearer.
She does try to seduce the Doctor, its reflective of her personality traits already discussed, and its rejected.
And its not something I think Amy would have wanted long term, as older Amy, further down her development would not even consider the idea any more than the Doctor would himself. Its one of and momentary and happens earl yon when they barely know each other, but rooted in her personality. Its certainly not character defining as its not something she ever repeats or does again.

'every time she is with him she is emotionally, physically and mentally tortured again and again'

Quite the opposite, every time he is with him she deals with or is confronted with something which helps her reach greater growth and understanding of the events which have shaped her life, and so help her see passed them and surmount them so that by the end she is ina position where she can make her final choice and be content with it.
The pain and anguish at the end is left or the person who inflicted it- the Doctor- he is pained so much he withdraws from active participation in life claiming that all he has learned in all his years of saving worlds and saving lives, is that the universe doesn't care.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:well we are told that she cant express emotion, how very convenient for the actress. theres non of that nasty complicated acting stuff to do. just stare a bit and pout like you've got problemz, sorted. cheque please. - Figg

Why are you going after the actress when we are discussing the character of Amy? This is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

its not irrelevant, they obviously factored in her lack of acting skill into her character.

'as is insulting Rory every 5 minutes'

Using insults affectionately is something Scots do daily, I even do it at work, call someone affectionately a 'daft ole bugger', always raises a smile. The very few times Amy does do it in other circumstances it is part of all the stuff I just discussed above.

only those are good natured insults, and Amys insults were meant to demean and hurt. she doesn't really want Rory but he kind of emotionally blackmails her into being with him.

'that kind of bitchy behaviour you seem to find unacceptable in Rose but because Amy is Scottish and therefore above reproach, her nastiness is A OK'

No its because with Rose there is no reason or purpose to it other than its how she is as a person, and there is no evidence its meant to viewed as a negative, or that its addressed or resolved by the end, she is just as petty, jealous and bitchy when she comes back and whines about how she was there first as at the start.

Rose is never petty or bitchy, she is sarcastic and that is part of her upbringing, its part of being an Eastender. and its never as nasty as Amy's demolition of Rorys self esteem.

With Amy her use of put downs, her bluntness is self defence, a way of keeping her feelings too herself, and its something which she does overcome by the end again as part of all the arc stuff discussed above.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:exactly Amy has never grown up, she hasn't developed. Exactly what my argument was in the beginning. she does not develop at all.- Figg

No the development is from the Amy we meet to the Amy that departs- who is a complete person, shorn of the emotional damage and baggage, grown as a person in understanding and able to be comfortable in who she is and in how her life turned out base don her own choices.

shorn of emotional damage and baggage. you are seriously deluded if you think that. for a start she is catapulted into a life not of her own choosing almost as bad as Donnas fate. She ends up with zero self determination in a time when sterile women didn't get an easy ride. A non choice. the only choice was Rory. its always been Rory, he has hung around her life like the Ancient mariners Albatross.

Amy at the end is a far cry from the Amy we meet in 11th Hour, I don't know how you can deny what is very obvious.
The question is only really what changes between the Amy of 11th Hour and the Amy how chooses to be with Rory and live without ever having 'doctor life' again?
And the answer to that is all the character development you keep pretending isn't there.
Why do you think they wrote all these scenes? Just to kill a bit of time?

she doesn't change one iota. she is the same brittle and damaged person. what has she gained? seriously. She didn't particularly look excited about alien travel, she was flippant about most of it as if it was her due. she didn't display Donna's thrilled expressions at travelling in time. She has lost more than she gained. she lost Time, she lost herself ( literally), she became an incubator which led to sterility, she lost physical freedom, she lost the chance to escape from her abusers. she gained zilch.

'The Doctor acts like a creepy Ronald Macdonald, he makes her his rag doll'

This where I think you are imposing something on the narrative for outside which has no basis in what's going on. There is no indication that the Doctors interference in Amys life has any objective at all- its an accident, the TARDIS is drawn to crash close to the crack in the fabric of space and time. He cannot be making her anything has he had no intentions at all when he met her or afterwards, other than to close the crack in the wall and come back and take her for a trip in the TARDIS. That was it.

'he arrests her development'

No he doesn't- that's the problem- she still grows up, but she grows up as someone who had to deal with all the problem is his arrival in her life left her with. Its this the Doctor is trying to fix, all the best things about Amy still are preserved and nurtured, but she has to purge herself of the baggage he left ion her life- and that's what her story arc is. In the end the Amelia we see in the final shot, she grows up to be the best she can be, but she will go through a lot getting there- a lot you are denying even exists at all.

you just quoted the Doctor saying he would 'see about her growing up' that is arresting her development, its infantalising because he wants a playmate on his level, because he is fucked up he cant have a strong secure person travelling with him, he couldn't bear a Donna, she would scare him, no this Doctor needs to feel he is top dog pulling the strings, he needs to lie and manipulate, he is a creeeeeepy stalker.

'the tv show just glorifies emotional child abuse, its saying that kids are going to be fucked up because they don't get what they want from life'

Thats just seems like an overblown use of language to me from any angle- this is so far from child abuse I don't know where to begin. And its not saying Amy gets messed up because she doesn't get what she wants, she gets mucked up because firstly something she knows was real she is told all her childhood she invented, and secondly because a crack in space and time pours through her head every night and changes her timeline at regular intervals by swallowing up events and people from it.

She is a child being emotionally abused. end of. and unlike fairy tales theres no moral to the story

The former is reason for not sharing your feelings, the latter is the usual sort of Who scifi malarky- neither is even comparable to child abuse.

'it also shows Amy as feeble minded, she tries to welch out on her wedding night, that says a lot about her supposed love of Rory second best.'

She doesn't try to welch out, she cant make the decision, she cant commit her life, especially now that her imaginary friend has finally actually turned up- she runs away, just as the Doctor once ran away from home after stealing a TARDIS.
But she doesn't cancel the wedding. But all the issues already discussed, her problems expressing her feelings and emotions outwardly ect get in the way. Nevertheless she does continually make progress in dealing with them and she resumes her relationship with Rory, marries him and their are continual beats of growth in that relationship all along the way, their marriage runs into trouble only when it confronts head on her inability to speak about whats going on with her, then resolves with her overcoming it and speaking about it openly. Its a story about overcoming emotional pain and finding new strength from doing so.

'she loves her abuser and tries to shag him, just cant let go'

She doesnt love her abuser unless you think Rory is abusing her- that she loves Rory could not be made clearer.
She does try to seduce the Doctor, its reflective of her personality traits already discussed, and its rejected.
And its not something I think Amy would have wanted long term, as older Amy, further down her development would not even consider the idea any more than the Doctor would himself. Its one of and momentary and happens earl yon when they barely know each other, but rooted in her personality. Its certainly not character defining as its not something she ever repeats or does again.

her abuser is the Doctor, Rory is her parasite.

'every time she is with him she is emotionally, physically and mentally tortured again and again'

Quite the opposite, every time he is with him she deals with or is confronted with something which helps her reach greater growth and understanding of the events which have shaped her life, and so help her see passed them and surmount them so that by the end she is ina position where she can make her final choice and be content with it.

nope torture is never good, specially as a shallow plot device
The pain and anguish at the end is left or the person who inflicted it- the Doctor- he is pained so much he withdraws from active participation in life claiming that all he has learned in all his years of saving worlds and saving lives, is that the universe doesn't care.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:59 pm

they obviously factored in her lack of acting skill into her character.- Figg

And I believe she is a very good actress- anyone who can watch her playing both Amy;s in Girkl Who Waioted and say otherwise isoff their rocker as far as Im concerned- but its not a factor in discussing the character and motivations of Amy. Its just a cheap nasty dig at the actress.

'Amys insults were meant to demean and hurt.'

No they are not- a great example is her use of 'stupidface' to describe him in Day of the Moon, where it turns out to be entirely affectionate in use.

'she doesn't really want Rory but he kind of emotionally blackmails her into being with him.'

How? When? In which episodes? Because this never actually happens. He gives her clear opportunity to back out the wedding in Amy's Choice its Amy who refuses to o so, at any point he can end the relationship and in Asylum it is indeed Amy who does so.
When is Rory blackmailing Amy in anyway- it cant be emotionally, outwardly at least Rory is far more emotionally dependent on Amy than her on him. Its not until Rory himself from the Doctors influence grows in confidence and character that he becomes less so and more his own man.

' she is sarcastic and that is part of her upbringing, its part of being an Eastender. and its never as nasty as Amy's demolition of Rorys self esteem.'

Rorys self esteem is fine, his arc is one of growth and confidence and of being himself. For demolition of someone you have to look to Roses humiliation of Mickey.

' you are seriously deluded if you think that'

If so then what else are all those scenes about? Why do repeated character traits keep being explored and approached? Why does the ending of the Ponds era tie into all these themes if they dont exist? What else is all that stuff about then?

'for a start she is catapulted into a life not of her own choosing almost as bad as Donnas fate.'

Donna faced a future she had no choice in- being her old ignorant self losing all she had gained or death.
Amy faced to equal lifes to choose from- continued life with the Doctor minus Rory, or continued life with Rory minus the Doctor. She choose the latter, and it was two valid choices. The timing of when she made the choice was forced on her, but narratively as a character she had brought to the point where she was equipped with all the tools she needed to make tat choice, and to choose with certainty what she wanted and what she knew would give her the most contended, happiest life.
The two cases are completely different.

'She ends up with zero self determination in a time when sterile women didn't get an easy ride. '

She has all the self determination- she makes the choice. And what has her sterility to do with it, we know they adopt a war orphan and its very heavily implied they also raise the young River for when she regened into a toddler in New York to sending her to England to meet their younger selves. And we know for definite older River cans till visit her and does so to arrange the afterword in the book. Her family life is fine. Its a happy ending for the Ponds. Its a sad ending for the Doctor however.

'the only choice was Rory. its always been Rory, he has hung around her life like the Ancient mariners Albatross.'

Thats a very negative view of romance and love. I'd say they were lifelongs friends who fell in love.

'she doesn't change one iota. she is the same brittle and damaged person. what has she gained? seriously. '

I have gone through all the ways in which she changes in depth, you've just ignored it. But she is certainly not brittle at any point let alone the end, nor is she damaged as the whole point of her story is the resolving of that damage strand by strand.
What she gains his all the good points Amelia originally had in potential- the bravery, the self sacrificing, the determination, the belief in the impossible with it all brought to its best by travelling with the Doctor. an what she loses is all the negative effects his first encounter wrought on her, the inability to settle, to make the choices which would determine a set course in her life, to be open about her feelings and emotions with those she loves and who love her.
These are all important and powerful character traits she learns and gains from beginning to end.

'She didn't particularly look excited about alien travel, she was flippant about most of it '

Yes she was- we see it lots usually in offscreen antics or when intended trips go wrong- so in a Girl WHo Waited they are going to a paradise world for fun, in Closing Time they are going to an alien beach with live sand, in the Siluriuan two parter they are going to the Rio Carnival- theres a ton of examples of where they are just having fun- we also see her just enjoying stuff- she is very excited to meet Churchill and to be in the War Bunker, she is positively hopping on the spot with glee at the prospect of meeting Van Gogh and there are plenty of other examples.

'she became an incubator which led to sterility'

No she became a mother, with her husbands child, and it led to them having a daughter with whom they afterwards maintained a loving, if unconventional, family relationship.

'you just quoted the Doctor saying he would 'see about her growing up' that is arresting her development'

Yes in a context in which the Doctor is lying about his reasons for wanting Amy to travel with him. At this point he is unaware of the damage he has done to her, all he is interested in is the anomalies surrounding her life centred on the crack in the fabric of space and time. The statement is in retrospect ironic.

'he is a creeeeeepy stalker'

He is not stalking anyone, he is stalking a crack in time at the start. And that by accident, he just stumbles onto it.

'She is a child being emotionally abused.'

Not as abused say as that family with young children in the RTD story who refused to go along with the Daleks and got incinerated to death- not thats abusing someone.
What the Doctor does is literally without intention. Its a complete accident of events. All he does is in fact is to do all he can to help Amy repair the consequences and become stronger for them- which she does.
Which brings us to...

'theres no moral to the story'

Yes there is,, that no matter how hard life might be there is always a way to make it better, to improve upon it and to make your own choices even out of limited choices. But only if you make decisions true to yourself, with honesty, openly, with your true feelings.
Its when Amy doesn't do these thing that bad things happen, its when she overcomes them she is finally in a position to know what she wants her life to be and to able to choose it. And thats the moral of the Amy story. Strength from adversity, overcoming ones own created demons and turning them into triumphs.

her abuser is the Doctor, Rory is her parasite.

Examples please of where the Doctor is abusing her, to what narrative purpose does he do this?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes Get a room, you two.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Handbag  I would rather bash his bits with a soggy haggis.

shave it first natch.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Um Im afraid to ask but feel in a dread filled fashioned drawn too, is it the bits or the soggy haggis you plan on shaving?- because I can tell you from experience in either case it wont work soggy. Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:58 pm

well I suppose soggy haggisi tend to squidge out of ones grasp. scratch
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg