Forest Shepherd
Pettytyrant101
Amarië
17 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [11] - Page 34 Empty Re: Doctor Who [11]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:09 pm

The brilliant opening monologue from the latest episode (its in 4 short parts I assume to avoid the BBC pulling it down!) Let the Doctor introduce you to the Bootstrap Paradox-

(Two cool things to note as well- the Dcotrs amp is made by Magpie, the name of the electronics company that made the TV's in the episode where Rose got her face sucked off by the TV, and on top of the amp is the clockwork squirrel the Doctor made outof his radio so he didn't have to listen to Peter Andre Mysterious Girl every morning - love that a throwaway line gets that attention from the props team!)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:11 am

halfwise wrote:
Now I'm puzzlelating over economics.  Having the Co-op take your product and sell it, then dividing the profits by amount contributed - what's going on with the big industrial farmers you contrast this to?  Are they not being paid proportionally?  Are small farmers being crowded out because the big companies only want to deal with big farmers?

Big subject, short answer. One, the market is demanding more and more documentation, and standardization of best agricultural practices which is virtually impossible for a small family farm. This trend has eliminated most small agriculture from having access to major distributors like supermarkets. The OS co-op provides the infrastructure and standards of a large agribusiness in a way that allows for small family farms to comply and participate. Also the co-op takes the competition factor out of pricing, and therefore buffers the volatility. For example there's now a large surplus of juice concentrate in storage. This means that the independent large growers tend to be bidding against each other in a way that no small farm could due to economies of scale. Ocean Spray collectively has over 50% of the cranberry production and negotiates as a block which has clout that no small grower could match. 50% is also enough to justify an advertising budget. They've been able to manage the surplus for us by emphasizing the OS brand so that we've only felt a small percentage of the downturn in the market that's hit the indy side. Don't know it that's clear, but it's all I've got time for.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:42 am

I don't usually follow the Who thread closely but I just wanted to say that I loved reading that interview, Dave. Great pictures too. I love your insights into farming and other topics. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:57 am

I don't usually follow the Who thread- Eldo

Mad While you are here you could at least watch the monologue vid above or something! Evil or Very Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:27 pm

season 8 review.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I subscribe to him! Have you seen his latest where he has to grudgingly admit he is enjoying at least some of the new series Very Happy

(If you just like watching people who dislike Moffat off my subscribe list I can recommend- Mr TARDIS reviews, Claudia Boleyn (you'll love her), Lipmannette- they have something in common they all loath Moffat, and they have rather grudgingly had to admit they are enjoying current Who!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:43 pm

I already subscribe to Lippmannette and Claudia, (agreed I DO love her). They all agree that up until the last two episodes Doctor Who was deteriorating rapidly. I was in two minds about giving up for good. I too agree with them that Under the Lake/Before the flood were good, but only in contrast to what had gone on before in season 8, in contrast they look good because our expectations were rock bottom. its always nice to be pleasantly surprised.

they don't hate Moffat, they give credit where its due. they are open minded and don't fall for hype, they don't kiss Moffat arse, if that's what you mean.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:29 pm

they don't kiss Moffat arse, if that's what you mean.- Figg

Well that depends who it is, Claudia has so many chips on her shoulder and so many causes to bear the banner of it tends to consume all her other views, and lipmannette often makes criticism I've found based on a misunderstanding of the narrative. Still like to hear their thoughts however.

I also recommend Mickeleh, just because I find him really fun and engaging to listen to-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Well that depends who it is, Claudia has so many chips on her shoulder and so many causes to bear the banner of it tends to consume all her other views, and lipmannette often makes criticism I've found based on a misunderstanding of the narrative. Still like to hear their thoughts however. Petty

If you think that about Claudia then you really don't understand her. I find them interesting and fair minded when it comes to Who. It surprises me that you watch their vids given that you cant tolerate even the slightest hint of criticism of Moffat.

I also subscribe to Paul Verhoeven, now he does call Moffat out for his shit no holds barred. Razz
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:24 pm

'It surprises me that you watch their vids given that you cant tolerate even the slightest hint of criticism of Moffat. '

Well I'm a surprising fellow! And I dont mind well thought out complaints backed with evidence- not that you get that much, but I dont mind it when you do. And I always like to hear all sides to an argument before deciding I was right to start with! Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Rolling Eyes yeah right
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:20 pm

This weeks episode sees not only the appearance of Maisie Williams mysterious character- but also the return to scripting duty of Jamie Mathieson- can he make it 3 hits out of 3? Or will he succumb to Who fandom who wont stand for someone doing well more than twice before attacking?!

Oh and one for the Fjordians- seeing as it seems to set in Norway and feature Vikings (sort of)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:10 pm

wait what?! and i am so not up to date ... Sad
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:22 pm

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 pm

That was....fun. Very Happy
Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Spoiler:

Last edited by Nagual on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

Really enjoyed that ep, a bit silly and generic yes, but great fun.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Something interesting I came across on Reddit-early storyboards for 'The Day Of The Doctor' with Eccleston in place of John Hurt as the Doctor who fought in the time war:

https://imgur.com/a/IrsmU

Although Moffat has readily admitted that Eccleston was his first choice for the role, and had at least one meeting with him discussing a possible return for the special, the real interesting thing is the person who posted these storyboards (which don't mention Billie Piper as the moment) , claims that the artist in question had actually seen a script including Eccleston's Doctor, the implication being Eccleston decided to turn down the episode very late in the day...

Although Hurt turned in a excellent performance as the War Doctor (a role he is going to reprise for Big Finish  Shocked  bounce  bounce ) and I'm very glad we gained two new doctors last year instead of one, personally I think it's hard to deny his role (and much of the dialogue) was clearly written with Eccleston in mind, and he was so 'Fantastic!' in the role it would be a shame to never see him reprise it...

On the one hand the idea of 9,10 and 11 bouncing off each other in one story is certainly interesting to imagine, and RTD did originally conceive Eccleston as the man who ended (and in all likelihood fought) the Time War anyway, but in retrospect I think the idea of a 'hidden' outcast doctor fighting the time war worked out for the best and adds to, rather than detracts from the series, there wasn't any room for the Classic Doctors in Moffat's DOTD script, but I think Hurt's casting was a composite nod to that, for the better...shame Eccleston didn't agree to at least a cameo though...

Last edited by malickfan on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:40 pm

a role he is going to reprise for Big Finish-Malick

I heard BF were doing the War Doctor stories but had suspected it would be a Hurt-alike, not the real Mccoy, erm as it were. And fortunately he just came out clear for his cancer so plenty of them to come with good fortune.

I agree on all your points about the War Doctor and on it being a shame eccy wouldnt at least agree to do the regen scene.

Figg-

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:a role he is going to reprise for Big Finish-Malick

I heard BF were doing the War Doctor stories but had suspected it would be a Hurt-alike, not the real Mccoy, erm as it were. And fortunately he just came out clear for his cancer so plenty of them to come with good fortune.

I agree on all your points about the War Doctor and on it being a shame eccy wouldnt at least agree to do the regen scene.

Hurt's in remission, but not quite in the clear yet Neutral

Here's the press release about the War Doctor's new audios:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

And a brief podcast with Hurt and Nicholas Briggs (it sounds like these audios have been in the works for quite a while...I wonder what other surprises BF are keeping from us...) Hurt sounds very healthy and enthusiastic about the new stories:

http://www.bigfinish.com/podcasts/v/the-big-finish-podcast---with-john-hurt

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:23 am

And he mentions 3 more! Excellent.

Also The Prisoner too! Though I was a bit disappointed to see it appears to be just audio remakes of the original TV episodes, not all new material.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:38 pm

I think Capaldi is trying too hard to be the Doctor. I was talking to a fellow Whovian today and he thinks its because Capaldi was a super fan all his life and so he is trying too hard to fit into the role when it should be more natural and organic. I find Capaldis mannerisms forced and his eccentricity too studied for effect. Smith pulled it off better, it seemed natural and as if it was really part of his personality. I still don't believe Capaldi is the Doctor, I don't like all this dark soul searching shit, or the nonsense about him suddenly needing prompt cards to deal with human emotions.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:52 pm

I have to agree with you, Figg. Too many of Smiths eccentricities are still prevalent in how Moffat is writing for Capaldi. And you still have all the jumping around, snappy dialogue, breakneck speed writing of Smiths era.

I'm not sure Capaldi will ever get to be his own doctor before he's written as one.

Moffat sadly seems to be playing a too large a role in how the show is these days. It' all well and good to give us Doctor Who in Moffats image, but we've had it for five years already. And sadly Cipaldis term in the role seem to be suffering for it.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:22 pm

the difference is that Smith seemed natural,((( even if it was slightly irritating))), it was part of his boyish dingbat personality. Smith also had more range, from innocent and silly to grandstanding and decisive. Capaldi is just ..dunno.. wrong. Because theres so much emphasis on him using somebody elses face its as if he isn't really an authentic person in his own right. You would never get Eccleston angsting over his face being borrowed from some dude he met in the past, Eccleston seemed thoroughly his own person. This lessens capaldi, and makes him seem a faceless creepy thing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next