Eldorion
Sinister71
Norc
Mrs Figg
Lancebloke
21 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD

Post by azriel Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm

So is PJ, & Id like to kick him there !

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD

Post by Tinuviel Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 pm

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Wtf? This is the pic of Thranduil's face scar thing.

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 FpaXmr4

How the fuck is this even supposed to work? You can't have that kind of damage to your face and still retain like a full face. I don't know what I'm saying.

Is half of his face just like a slab of skin just barely sticking to his face? When he bends over does the slab of skin fall off?

Is this something that's just supposed to "shock" the audience? Creating drama where you don't need it?

Not even to mention the huge risk there is of infection with half of your face missing. This doesn't make any sense.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:43 pm

WTF? What is he, Two-Face??

http://helob.deviantart.com/gallery/
https://stopthesecrecy.net/

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 WiuVcmi
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Looks that way.

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Two_Face_%28Nolanverse%29

I heard people say it was just a scar. And I was like, "Okay, made up plot about Thranduil, it's stupid, but whatever."

Now seeing this, it's just way OTT and makes perfect sense coming from PJ.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Have you not seen the film? That is the scene where Thranduil interrogates Thorin. I cant remember exactly how the conversation went, but that bit was Thranduil saying he has felt a dragons flame in the old days or something similar. Made no physical sense whatsoever. But then, most of the film doesn't. He lent forwards and it appeared on his face, then vanished just as quickly.  flower
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm seeing the movie in about two hours.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Carcharoth wrote:Have you not seen the film?
Nope and likely won't. Really no reason to at this point.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:53 pm

that scar thing was really bizarre, there was no logical reason for it apart from cheap thrills
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:54 pm

I don't know. There are many worse ways to spend £6 than to see Desolation of Smaug. Especially if you are a fan of the books. Its something to talk about if nothing else.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:58 pm

There are better ways too, like Unfinished Tales, which I don't have a copy of (and haven't even read yet  Embarassed ).

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Carcharoth Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Get both. £12 quid well spent. No point letting other peoples opinions dictate your choices (no irony intended Razz).
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Maybe, but I've seen four PJ movies based in Middle-earth, each worse than the last (imho). Can't help but sense a pattern there.

Overall, I'm just not a fan of Peej as a director. I can't possibly feel I will get anything out of this movie based on that opinion in addition to the spoilers I've read on this forum. It's all more of the same.

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Radaghast wrote:There are better ways too, like Unfinished Tales, which I don't have a copy of (and haven't even read yet  Embarassed ).

I hereby revoke your JRR Tolkien nerd defender privileges until you remedy this. Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:41 pm

I will. Very soon Very Happy

Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Carcharoth wrote:I don't know. There are many worse ways to spend £6 than to see Desolation of Smaug. Especially if you are a fan of the books. Its something to talk about if nothing else.

I'm not sure I'd recommend DOS to a ton of people, but it's not like the market is saturated with fantasy movies so if you like the genre you can check it out. Shrugging And I can't wrap my mind around discussing the movie for months on forums but not seeing it, if only to stay on top of the discussion. Razz

And to be honest, I think DOS is slightly better than AUJ. Though I'm not sure if that opinion will hold.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Radaghast wrote:I will. Very soon Very Happy

Do you plan on reading the whole thing through?  I'm not sure that's the best way, personally, but I know some people who have.  I'd especially recommend the chapters "Aldarion and Erendis" and "Cirion and Eorl", but it really depends on what your interests are.  The last four or five sections of the book are all fairly short and shed a ton of light on TH and LOTR.

Are you going to read The History of Middle-earth next? That's much more dense and scholarly than UT but still very worth a read if you have the time and money/a really good library.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Even though the movie is out, the official Hobbit Twitter just posted this new poster and it's my favorite for DOS since the original Comic-Con teaser one.

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 KOTcdeX
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:I don't know. There are many worse ways to spend £6 than to see Desolation of Smaug. Especially if you are a fan of the books. Its something to talk about if nothing else.

I'm not sure I'd recommend DOS to a ton of people, but it's not like the market is saturated with fantasy movies so if you like the genre you can check it out. 🤷And I can't wrap my mind around discussing the movie for months on forums but not seeing it, if only to stay on top of the discussion. Razz

And to be honest, I think DOS is slightly better than AUJ.  Though I'm not sure if that opinion will hold.

Vous etes kidding?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I really disliked AUJ. Razz

Edit: To be clear, DOS diverges far more from the book, but as a film I think it works better.  At least it is not so crushingly boring and uninterested in its own narrative. That still doesn't make it a good (much less great) movie though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Eldorion wrote:Even though the movie is out, the official Hobbit Twitter just posted this new poster and it's my favorite for DOS since the original Comic-Con teaser one.

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 KOTcdeX

I really liked that poster as well Eldo. Much preferable to the earlier ones.  Nod 

Though Smaug comes across as a little too snake like to me.

A bit like Midgardsormen actually.

Last edited by Bluebottle on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:
Radaghast wrote:I will. Very soon Very Happy

Do you plan on reading the whole thing through?  I'm not sure that's the best way, personally, but I know some people who have.  I'd especially recommend the chapters "Aldarion and Erendis" and "Cirion and Eorl", but it really depends on what your interests are.  The last four or five sections of the book are all fairly short and shed a ton of light on TH and LOTR.

Are you going to read The History of Middle-earth next?  That's much more dense and scholarly than UT but still very worth a read if you have the time and money/a really good library.
With UT, I'll probably pick and choose as you suggest. I'm most interested in a "Quest of Erebor". As for HotM, yeah, I'll probably want to look at that too.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I never saw the whole scar when I watched the film. I covered my eyes at that part because it was really disturbing to look at and was disturbing because it was soooooo wrong!

And I've read UT, but what's the difference between that and HOME?

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:21 pm

At least several hundred pages, I think Wink
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Eldorion wrote:

I'm not sure I'd recommend DOS to a ton of people, but it's not like the market is saturated with fantasy movies so if you like the genre you can check it out. 🤷And I can't wrap my mind around discussing the movie for months on forums but not seeing it, if only to stay on top of the discussion. Razz

And to be honest, I think DOS is slightly better than AUJ.  Though I'm not sure if that opinion will hold.

Vous etes kidding?

I wonder, did you watch Petty's AUJ edit, Eldo? If nothing else, it shows that Peter Jackson actually stuck close enough to the book in the parts that were actually taken from the book (close enough, that is, though still far, far from perfect). It lasts for an hour less without all the stuff he added. If Petty is doing the same with DOS I'll be surprised if he can salvage even ten minutes. I envy you your ability to enjoy films based on books for what they are, whatever that may be. I've never been able to do that except for LotR, but I suspect that was because I was so young when I first watched the films and did not fully understand the book. I didn't fully understand the films, either. The first time I saw them I didn't care as much for the scenes I love most today ("character scenes", for want of a better word), I cared more for the action scenes. The LotR trilogy, however much it deviates from the book, has such great character building scenes, which was completely lacking from DOS. There was a couple of them, sure, but they feel odd and out of place, like something taken from another film altogether.

More Hobbit pictures [4] SPOILER THREAD - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next