Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
24 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

All things sporting Empty All things sporting

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:51 pm

We used to have a sport thread and I can't find one on here so here's a new one.

Mainly I needed somewhere to be crabbit. My team (Glasgow Rangers) went out of Europe last night to PSV.
We lost the first away game 1-0. And they deserved the win and last night we put in a dire first half performance that saw us go in 1-0 down (meaning we needed at least 2 goals). Again PSV deserved to be ahead. But what a difference a half time boot up the backside can make. A new formation, change of line up and Rangers came out firing.
But it was not to be. Six officials and they all missed a blatant handball on the line by PSV to prevent an equalizer. 6 of them missed it, and it was blatant. That would have been an instant red and a penalty- whole new game with Rangers dominant at that point.
Then five minutes from time a blatant penalty again- this time a Rangers player upended in the box right in front of the referee. It was so blatant the Rangers player who got possession was bending down to pick up the ball and go to the penalty spot with it when he suddenly realised the whistle hadn't gone.
There are penalties you say maybe, or question if there was contact, or accept it was hard to see for a ruck of players, but this was a stonewaller, right out in the open and right in front of the ref- I was watching the game with a mate who is a Celtic fan and therefore delights in Rangers loosing and even he said he couldn't pretend to claim it wasn't a blatant foul.

So is it time for tv replays to be used in football?
Two decisions with the potential to not only shape the outcome of a game but the finances of a club for the next year so should we have the extra ref watching replays?
I've mixed feelings about it as part of the game of football is the flow of the game which might be broken up if calls are constantly questioned and decisions awaited from the stand. But then again these are big decisions that often are wrong.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

All things sporting Empty Re: All things sporting

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:00 pm

I've always been in favour of using TV replays in football matches. The amount of mistakes made because of poor judgement and other things that have ruined games and, on many occasions almost decided the outcome of the match entirely, makes it an easy decision for me. The flow of the game might suffer a bit, but not too much, and it is definitely a fair price to pay for fair matches Wink

All things sporting Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:08 pm

When things like last night happen in a game I tend to agree. But the position of the ref and officials in football is an odd one. They are part of the game as much as the players and have never been infallible.
Would the game lose something by making the judgements technical rather than allowing an individual to call it 'as they see it'?

I would hate football to become like rugby or American Football where live games are ruined by constant stops and starts. Football is a flowing game.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

cheers cheers drunken drunken cheers cheers cheers cheers drunken drunken

My team Rangers won the cup against ancient rivals Celtic. 1-1 at the final whistle, 2-1 by end of extra time.
And for once a good game of football. Neither side dominating and both going for it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Can't wait for the Olympics! In London! Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm

My family and I have applied for tickets! All the pretty lame stuff mind you, athletics qualifying, football, swimming qualifiers, and thanks to a certain someone: women's diving. I'd be amazed if we didn't win any of them, mind you they're expensive so maybe that is a blessing in disguise. Plus you have to register a credit card to apply for tickets with visa- some sort of secret deal no doubt.

An a different sporting note- Sheffield Wednesday are winning! Two-nill! Hooray! But Spurs are losing....which is... well.... Mad

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Saradoc wrote:My family and I have applied for tickets! All the pretty lame stuff mind you, athletics qualifying, football, swimming qualifiers, and thanks to a certain someone: women's diving. I'd be amazed if we didn't win any of them, mind you they're expensive so maybe that is a blessing in disguise. Plus you have to register a credit card to apply for tickets with visa- some sort of secret deal no doubt.

An a different sporting note- Sheffield Wednesday are winning! Two-nill! Hooray! But Spurs are losing....which is... well.... Mad

woo! They are in division one now aren;t they?

Female diving is great to watch, don't you worry! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon May 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Thought I'd take the time to remember Seve Ballesteros who recently passed away. Very sad, he is probalby the first golfer I really became aware of and one I have always enjoyed watching! Thoughts with the family!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon May 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Can't say I'm too knowledgeable about Seve Ballesteros, but I've seen enough clips to see he was a real great golfer and a idle to lot's of people!

Also the sad news about the death of Wouter Weylandt after crashing his bike- not that I'd claim to be so deeply interested in pro-cycling that I actually knew who he was- it's still very tragic, and my thoughts go to his family.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 09, 2011 11:41 pm

The Scots invented golf but Seve Ballesteros showed the world how you play it. A sad loss.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:The Scots invented golf

Now, you shouldn't tell lies, Petty. You know perfectly well that the Bullroarer invented golf Mad

All things sporting Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Bullroarer was a Scots expat!

My team Rangers is playing right now- last game of the season, we are 1 point ahead of Celtic who are also playing right now as well. If we win we take the league, we lose or draw and celtic win they take the league! And 10 minutes in its 0-0 in Celtic game but Rangers are 3-0 up!! Whooooo- the leagues coming back to Ibrox at this rate! cheers cheers drunken drunken

update: 5-1 in the end! League Champions!!!! cheers cheers drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun May 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Bullroarer was a Scots expat!

My team Rangers is playing right now- last game of the season, we are 1 point ahead of Celtic who are also playing right now as well. If we win we take the league, we lose or draw and celtic win they take the league! And 10 minutes in its 0-0 in Celtic game but Rangers are 3-0 up!! Whooooo- the leagues coming back to Ibrox at this rate! cheers cheers drunken drunken

update: 5-1 in the end! League Champions!!!! cheers cheers drunken

I betcha you'll do well next season too, what with my namesake in charge and all! Smile

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

I don't know, hobbits and their silly religions... Rolling Eyes

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Freedom76 Mon May 16, 2011 4:36 am

One of the greatest moments in the history of one of the greatest sports.

Freedom76
Freedom76
Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Mon May 16, 2011 5:19 am

Can't upload in my country. I must say, would it be right to opine that you are one of those patriotic Usahobbits I've heard tell of?

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm

I hope Andy wins for Britain today... Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 31, 2011 5:38 pm

In the press he only ever wins for Britain. He loses he's Scottish!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:In the press he only ever wins for Britain. He loses he's Scottish!

maybe so, but Andy is always clear that he is scottish first and foremost (in fact pretty much only Scottish!)
Shame about todays result, but his best run in paris so far!

Far more importantly I finally got online to see how much I have been charged for olympic tickets, to find it is a measly 2 out of 10 events applied for! I only applied for one big final (womans gym team final) the rest where lesser sessions with semis and a series of heats . 2 where general admission (crosscountry and triathlon!) so now seriously confused 20 mil appications for 6.6 mil tickets means roughly 1 in 3, without taking into account the more/less popular events, when the extra info comes out on 24th it'll make interesting reading!

Just as well I gave in to temptation and bought british grandprix tickets this weekend, consolation.. and a great weekend (been the last two years and love it!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:48 am

best tennos day for a while at Queens!

Britain will have two men in the Queen's Club semi-finals for the first time in the Open era when Andy Murray and James Ward take to the court at the Aegon Championships on Saturday.

Very Happy Very Happy

Canadian grandprix qualifiying, bradleywiggins leading the Dauphine and the tennis boys and girls (elena blatcha made nottingham semis too) some much sport, I know what I am doing today Very Happy

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Congrats to Andy Murray on winning at Queens. cheers (He'll be British tonight Very Happy I shall have to watch the news and see!!)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Got that sneaky feeling that Andy will win Wimbledon this year- albeit I have the same sneaky feeling ever year!

Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Just back from a great weekend at the british grandprix!! Very Happy
Got seats at the new farm curve, could see first corner, pit exit (and Button stopping Mad not sure what is up with the pit crews this year, the number of mistakes is unbelievable!) and the new village complex.
Vettel didn't win Very Happy and Alonso was v impressive!

All in all happy although sleepy now!

btw best race of the weekend was Saturdays GP3. Heavens opened just before start so on finishing the formation lap over half the fueld drove straight into the pits for wet tyres, putting a lot of the faster cars behind those who went to the start, lots of overtaking and mistakes due to the wet little brit made it from about 7th to 1st!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Sounds like a fun if noisy weekend! The Button thing was a farce, they seem to be blaming the lollipop guy buy I think it was guy witht he jack. He was watching for the um, whats it called? The screw the nuts on the wheels thing! And when it failed the guy threw it down to pick up another, the jack guy thought he was finished and lowered the car so the lollipop guy gave the go sign. Quite a cock-up though for F1.
I've always thought the most exciting races were in the lower level races. GP3 is always entertaining- especially in the rain!

I thought Hamilton had a cracking race.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Ears are still ringing, even though we had ear plugs!!!

Pit crews were crap! Di Resta was 7th till his pit crew had Sutils tyres out, not his, Vettel only lost as his pit crew were so slow, near collision in the pit lane and it's been like this all season!!! At least the championship might get a bit closer!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next