Ally
Gandalf's Beard
Pettytyrant101
23 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 39 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post by Kafria Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: although I appreciate thats science and therefore boys stuff and not for the tender emotion-led irrational female brain! Very Happy

utter rot Evil or Very Mad

Mind you, you're only a poor confused boy who thinks he knows whats going on! Rolling Eyes

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Dragons don't count (thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it) -besides you have the good sense to enjoy current Who! Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Screenshot from the upcoming Doctor Who game on ps3, xbox and pc.

Doctor Who - Page 39 Bbc01

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 pm

KG? I miss K9. Sad

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Not sure what happens to ole K9 now.
He was in the possession of Sarah Jane- but as the actress who played her sadly died I dont know what they will do. I strongly supsect after a respectful time there will be a moving moment in Who when the Doctor finds out she is dead, as there was for the character of Lethbridge Stewart after the actor who played him also sadly died.

Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 pm

Having sat and watched this brewing I felt it time to add me twopenneth.

Mrs Figg wrote:its important to actually like the characters to be able to identify with them, root for them and care what happens to them........its a gut reaction. You cant really analyse and explain it away for me.
(paraphrased)

I happen to agree here and I know that no amount of other people saying someone is good is going to change a reaction. Just like in reality we all have people everyone around us raves about and we look at and go 'no way!'

That said, this comment highlights for me why I like Amy so much. (And I thought I'd add my thoughts as I don't believe I am blinded by KG's looks Wink )

Being of the age that I am I have no knowledge of Old who beyond Sylvester and the dodgy effects so my only exposure is really through Nuwho. I only started watching as my daughter got into it and while Ecclestone was solid and Rose fine, I found the whole 'meet mad eccentric and fall in love with him, so I run away from everything else' a little cliched. I didn't dislike Rose, but found the faffing to and fro and the treatment of Mickey poor.

David..... well he was a favourite actor before who so nuff said! The Rose ending didn't annoy me, but it did feel as if the writers had writen themselves into a corner with the 'does the doctor love Rose too!' and felt they had to solve it.

Martha was a good companion, but the rehash of falling in love with the doctor did annoy me.

Donna was great, because she was a true balance and her ending was tragic.

But Matt Smith was a real revelation for me. The Doctor had never been this alien in either of the two forms I had really come to know him, he felt truely unpredictable for the first time, (both Ecclestone and Tennants doctors for me were still too mired in the angry aftermath of the time war, he kinda mostly just went off the deep end!).

Equally, from almost the first moment I did identify with Amy's lost and empty life. The girl so alone in that house with only her aunt that running away with a mad man in a blue box seemed the right solution. Further storys in the series only pulled further at this initial link. I identify with the guard that she puts up, the walls around what she feels, the brittle nature of her faith in things, she's been let down too often, lost too much. Equally, in many ways she knows, in a small way, what it is to be the outsider and thought completely mad by those around her, so identifies with the Doctor as a kindred spirit. Karen has brought me all this. This grouping, more than any previous ones, have me on the verge of tears, or bouncing up and down on the sofa like I'm five. (I'm embarassed to say I do mean this literally! Embarassed )

Rory in particular I love, he is the ordinary man, more so than any companion in Nuwho. If we are honest with ourselves, when put in those situations, who would we most behave like. I suspect I would be very Rory like in those early encounters. His relationship with Amy I find very real. He truely doesn't think he can compete for her affections, but loves her anyway. He slowly comes to realise she does love him and blossoms in that confidence that true partnership provides. Love Rory......... I love you (Loyalty and constancy are two thinks that I adore, which is why persuasion is my fav Jane Austen I guess).

Have to agree that River is brill, has been since her first moment. Sally Sparrow is also one of my fav characters and one of my fav episodes!

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree. It is a shame that a series that it seems you have enjoyed for a long time is not currently delivering for you.

(Sidenote, talked to Squach about this - Rose is her favourite companion and the only time she has ever cried at anything on the telly is her departure and goodbye to the doctor. She says she finds it harder to identify with or get anything from Amy's character too. She also said that she thinks part of it is that Amy is less firey than previous companions and you only really see one side to her, so no concensus here either!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Very well put Kafria- my thoughts and yours on this subject are so close you couldnt put a credit card between them.
Also loved Blink and Sally Sparrow. And after Amy, Donna is my favourite Nuwho companion. I didn't dislike Martha, she did her job, just found her a bit dull, she wasn't really about anything except pining after the Doctor. And I agree about the Rose storyline tying itself in knots and forcing a resolution- quite messily at that.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 pm

I was very sad to hear that the actress who played Sarah Jane had died, she was quite young, thats such miserable news, and the last episode I saw her in was a sad episode too, it was with the horrible "bat teachers" and there was K9 too. It seemed as if the Doctor no longer really needed them after they had both been in their way faithful assistants, they were a bit obsolete and old fashioned, tearing up a bit, poor ol K9.
You gave a very logical and well thought out reasoning for your liking of amy, Kafria, and I do try to give her the benefit, and I do try to like her as I love who, but I just prefer Rose, Sally, and Martha, and Donna, and River.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Very sad indeed Mrs Figg- Sarah Jane was the main companion I remember when I first started watching Pertwees Doctor as a child and then she continued with the main Doctor of my childhood Tom Baker.
She sadly died of cancer, although almost no one knew she had it and she had just been filming more of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Here she is meeting the 11th, along with Pertwees main assistant Jo Grant.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:46 pm

That last vid got me thinking about another lovely little scene between the Doctor and Jo Grant. Its at the start of this vid but theres nice stuff further in too. (sadly its only got the second half of the scene I was thinking off but can't seem to find the whole scene- damn BBC!)

Sarah Janes original exit from the Tardis.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 am

Some classic Who for those whose knowldge only begins with Nuwho.

The 2nd Doctor explains why he ran away from Gallifrey in the first place (or at least part of the reason)

And the first use of the sonic screwdriver, and its an actual screwdriver!

Anyone who has got as far as the episode The Doctor's Wife will recognise this- a Timelord psychic message box.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 pm

The very first episode of Doctor Who ever.
Someone on a forum I wason discussing this episode made a comment I had not considered before. The opening shot of the Tardis shoots it like it is already an iconic image- when in fact to the audience watching at the time the only unusual thing about it is its in a junk yard and not on the street, as Police Boxes were quite common at the time on the streets of Britain.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Ooooooh! Episode 2 then, p'raps? Very Happy (So, Dr Who had a Missus did he? Who had a child - Susan - did he? Shocked )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Here you go. Episode 2 in which the Doctor enjoys a nice pipe and amazes the natives! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:01 am

Wooooooooo! Shocked Shakespeare and Stephen King all in one, and the girls acting like proper girls - not their modern versions! More please, sir! Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:05 am

Part3 -In which the Doctor contemplates smashing someone's skull in with a rock.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:14 am

Oooh.... can't wait. But I better go watch the cricket (Ponting and Clarke on well on their way to a double century each! (I'll get back to the Dooktor later. Very Happy )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:15 am

I'm a Scotshobbit, I dont know what any of that means apart from the Doctor bit.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:41 am

That's cricket, laddie. The game invented by Englishmen so that Ozhobbits have something else they can beat them at. Mind you, we're playing India at the moment - but we know who the real enemy is, now don't we. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 am

That word is like a secret English weapon whenever a Scotshobbit hears the word cricket... Sleep ......we are overcome with boredom and sleepiness.

Oh and heres the final part of the Doctor Who story.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 am

It is a bit like that. The secret behind the old Brit Empire. Bore your foes to death? Nod And there's that other boring game too - soccer... Sleep

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 am

Soccer? If you are referring to the beautiful game of football then its hardly my fault you have an unfortunate Aussie attitude to it. After all your nations idea of a sport is to take all the games everyone can think of, throw them onto a pitch, stir with a big spoon and call it Aussie Rules! Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Aussie soccer is for big girls blouses called Wayne or Shayne, what you want is Rugger, thats a real chaps game for men called Albert He of The Brutal Tackle or Hubert He of Mighty Thighs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Contemplating having a sub thread here for Classic Who with the idea being I put up four choice episodes per week (equiv to two modern episodes in length) for discussion. But not worth it unless there is enough interest from people to participate, so thoughts?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 pm

I like that idea, the problem is that I am not sure I would have the time to view the episodes.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next