Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice.

+26
yooper
Lancebloke
halfwise
David H
Norc
Mirabella
Diamond Banks
Mrs Figg
Beren
Lorient Avandi
Amariƫ
Anne
janesmith
Orwell
chris63
Baingil
Biffo Banks
Tinuviel
Kafria
Saradoc
odo banks
Ally
Squach
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
30 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice.

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 04, 2011 2:01 am

Dimrill Dale is proving a tricky beast -getting the three peaks behind just right the main problem- but in the meantime heres a 1st attempt at the Lonely Mountain.

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Lymt[/img]

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Empty Re: Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice.

Post by odo banks Wed May 04, 2011 11:45 am

Do pines grow in a desolation?

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 04, 2011 2:55 pm

I didn't have the book to hand so reasoned thus- the bare branched blackened ones and the stumps are the remains of the woods that were there before Smaug came and the pines are all young uns that have grown up in the relative peace whilst Smaugs being sitting on his gold- might be too many of them though.
I will need to check the book for the description. And it gives somewhere for the talking birds to roost!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed May 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Pretty far from how I pictured it, but that doesn't mean I don't like it! Smile I guess I agree with Odo (if I interpret his comment correctly) that there are too many trees. I don't have the book at hand either, though, so who knows whether your picture is closer to the book than my (imagined) picture. Nonetheless, I'm getting more impressed with every new pic, keem them coming Very Happy

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 04, 2011 4:07 pm

From TH-

"They made north-west, slanting away from the River Running, and drawing ever nearer and nearer t a great spur of the Mountain that was flung out sothwards towards them.......The land about them grew bleak and barren, though once, as Thorin told them, it had been green and fair. There was little grass, and before long there was neither bush nor tree, and only broken and blackened stumps to speak of ones long vanished. They were come to the Desolation of the Dragon.."

The picture is looking roughly from west-ish. So the big spur you can see going south, the Gate would be on the other side of it. The view is a few miles away from the mountain so I think there should be trees, but they should stop at a distant from the mountain and only the stummps should remain, and the grass should fade out too on the mountain- and looking at Tolkiens illustration there should be some snow on top.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Your renderings are as gorgeous as ever, Petty! Very Happy There are more trees than I imagined but I still like it a lot!
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 05, 2011 8:30 am

A more desolate take on the scene.

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Frontgate[/img]

And Tolkiens illustration.

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 TheFrontGate[/img]

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 05, 2011 7:08 pm

The Carrock
"...The earth was much nearer, and below them were trees, that looked like oaks and elms, and wide grass lands, and a river running through it all. But cropping out of the ground, right in the path of the stream which looped itself about it, was a great rock, almost a hill of stone, like a last outpost of the distant mountains, or a huge piece cast miles into the plain by some giant among giants."

(Its quite wide this one you may need to adjust your page size to fit)
[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Carrock2[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 06, 2011 4:59 am

Rather than post the latest version of the Lonely Mt I've just replaced the old one in the above post with the new one, and a copy of Tolkiens illustration for comparison.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm

The new one looks much more like how I imagined it would look like, love it Smile Your version of the Carrock is beautiful too, how do you make these pictures look so real?

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 06, 2011 3:05 pm

"how do you make these pictures look so real?"- Ringdrotten

Patience. Swearing. Trial and error. Cursing. Waiting on render tests, a lot. Buckie. Render crash. Crabbit rage. More buckie and swearing.
And by morning I wake bleary eyed to a nice picture all going well....and celebrate with buckie.

It may also have something to do with the programs I use. World builder. Terragen 2 Deep, Gimp and all the wonderous souls out there in the world who make object models and then share them with fellow renderers for nothing but thanks- so I thank them all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun May 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I know what you mean, I still remember the horrible experience of trying to learn how to operate blender!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Rohan this time- not much more to say really other than its another wide one.
Ally I too found Blender to be not to newbie friendly. Still not got my head round it yet.

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Rohan[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Perfect Very Happy That's pretty much exactly the kind of landscape I imagined there would be in Rohan. It's a pitty Jackson picked such a terrible location for Rohan for the films, he should've gone to Africa and filmed it in the Savannas or some other place where the grass can do Rohan justice Crying or Very sad

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks Ringdrotten. I'm quite happy with the landscape- less so with the sky. I think if I'm going to have that much sky the lighting and clouds need to be more interesting and dramatic- so having another go with a different sky and lighting scheme.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun May 08, 2011 11:54 pm

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Ad7[/img]

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun May 08, 2011 11:58 pm

I hope that this is a commercial for the next NotP edition? Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 09, 2011 2:07 am

I think NotP has discovered viral marketing, to hilarious results. Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am

All I know is they've had me putting billboard posts up (and down!) all over Forumshire all night- I'm knackered, just as well they pay in buckie, but I heard its some new interactions thingy. Newspapers 2.2. To technical for me whats wrong with just buying and reading a paper like the good old days?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Here the 2nd go at the Rohan scene- with more dramatic lighting and clouds. Now I'm not sure which I prefer! Maybe people can vote and I'll delete the loser.

Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Rohan2lighter

The original for comparison.

[img]Pics of places that look like places from the films, or are just nice. - Page 4 Rohan[/img]

Last edited by Pettytyrant101 on Tue May 10, 2011 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm

They're both great, though the darker and dramatic one seems more in line with the tone of Rohan in LOTR, beset on both sides. Either way, they both look far more like Tolkien's Rohan than PJ managed. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue May 10, 2011 12:41 am

I saw the Rohan pics on another monitor and the dark one was so dark you could barely make out the horses. Thats the problem with different monitor types- so I asked another friend to check it out and he thought it was a bit dark too- so I've replaced it with a lighter one- it should still look stormy and dark just not so dark you cant make things out!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 am

Looks like a happy medium to me. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 pm

My vote goes to the original I think, it's such a nice picture Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue May 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Well I'm in favour of the lightened stormy version, looks as I imagine wild windswept plains would.

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next