chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by halfwise Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:30 am

Shocked  

How many more years of orgies have we got left?  

Will I be able to drain my liquor cabinet before the end?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:04 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Why are we talking about toting weaponry about though? - Forest

Because at least from outside the US that seems to be the general attitude to guns there. Don't you have states which allow the general public to carry weapons, and concealed weapons?

But the thing I find weirdest about it is the seeming contradiction at the heart of America.
Yeah well one thing at a time Petty.
Unless you are a Jedi, you need to carry the gun around in your hands in order to use it!

Apparently only 5 states allow just anybody to carry a concealed handgun around in public, while most states (41) allow people to carry concealed handguns in public with a permit, but a permit that does not discern between whether or not a person should be allowed to have weapons on their person, only that they meet certain criteria like age or years lived in the state.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:07 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:then the UK is still hungover.- Eldo

How dare you! I remain far to drunk for any sort of hangover! drunken (though when China and Russia take over backed by India I think the US hangover will be epic!)
I think they made some movies about that or something pre-emptively. As I understand it, they're full of metaphor about U.S.-Asia relations.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:03 am

Unless you are a Jedi, you need to carry the gun around in your hands in order to use it!- Forest

Yes, but going on the amount of death by gun in the US it seems having guns about your person is just a little to convenient, and perhaps disputes that get out of hand in less gun orientated societies and would result in a fight in the US result in someone dead a lot more often.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Earth isn’t the only planet in the solar system with spectacular light shows. Both Jupiter and Saturn have magnetic fields much stronger than Earth’s. Auroras also have been observed on the surfaces of Venus, Mars and even on moons (e.g. Io, Europa, and Ganymede). The auroras on Saturn are created when solar wind particles are channeled into the planet’s magnetic field toward its poles, where they interact with electrically charged gas (plasma) in the upper atmosphere and emit light. Aurora features on Saturn can also be caused by electromagnetic waves generated when its moons move through the plasma that fills the planet’s magnetosphere. The main source is the small moon Enceladus, which ejects water vapor from the geysers on its south pole, a portion of which is ionized. The interaction between Saturn’s magnetosphere and the solar wind generates bright oval aurora around the planet’s poles observed in visible, infrared and ultraviolet light. The aurora of Saturn are highly variable. Their location and brightness strongly depends on the Solar wind pressure: the aurora become brighter and move closer to the poles when the Solar wind pressure increases.

Credit: ESA/Hubble (M. K)

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Animations%2Bof%2BSaturn’s%2Baurorae

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Erm. No.
I read the National Geographic article too when it came out. Lets keep Tolkien out of it!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Crabeaterseal_zps95c65d0b

Crab Eater Seal's array of strange teeth.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:58 pm

wow gothic teeth! Ruskin would approve. Nod
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:59 pm

A bloody big 7m crocodile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 7mcrocodile_zps9675bdf3

And a fish eagle snatches a young Nile crocodile in Selous Game reserve, Tanzania. Photo by Mark Sheridan-Johnson / Barcroft.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Crocbird_zps34af2965

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:58 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Gw6zf
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 pm

wow. again! thats a dinosaur class crocodile surely? Shocked HOLY CRAPADOODLE!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 pm

I do like this one ! Very Happy

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Tilturhead_zps621ef211

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 pm

That's a really good optical illusion.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Indeed. Trees are powerful enforcers of perspective in this case.
I would like the image a lot more if there was no text.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:08 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Cliffbreakies_zps4139b0d5

The Hotel Grotta Palazzese in Polignano a Mare in Italy.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Bad place for a buckie No

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:06 am

Inspired by Mrs Figg's popcorn story, I'm thinking it does have the advantage of not needing to walk to the facilities.... Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Laughing  I bet theres some nasty sprayback if theres a sea breeze. Plus women would have to dangle their bits over a precipice like Bilbo. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:50 pm

this village is called Elven its in France  Shocked  Razz

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Untitleddd_zps1a471903

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 ImagesS80D3PGR_zpsd42575a2
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:10 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:Laughing  I bet theres some nasty sprayback if theres a sea breeze. Plus women would have to dangle their bits over a precipice like Bilbo. No

Just think of it as nature's bidet. Nod

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 38 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:12 pm

David H wrote:Inspired by Mrs Figg's popcorn story, I'm thinking it does have the advantage of not needing to walk to the facilities.... Smile

Huh, what? Where's Figg's popcorn story? bounce

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Found it. Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19 pm

I have never actually used a popcorn bucket but I have definitely used a plastic bag on a motorway crouched in the well of the car at 100 miles an hour. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm

On said subject- advice to the men out there- if you are caught short and decide to use an empty bottle, make sure first the bottle holds more than you have drunk! No

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next