chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by chris63 Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:03 am

The baby that didn't know it had been born: Astonishing picture shows newborn delivered INSIDE its amniotic sac

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2336194/The-baby-did-know-born-The-astonishing-picture-shows-newborn-delivered-INSIDE-amniotic-sac.html#ixzz2VPCQOzKd
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by chris63 Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 am

Thats one ugly fish.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Strange-animals-you-didnt-know-18-2

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:13 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 996172_10201526061937538_2052980086_n

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am

I bet its cloudy here that night- every recent major astronomical event Ive missed thanks to bloody clouds. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Not my theory, sadly, but a very good one.
Its good becuase you can confirm it yourself if you have the patience. It goes like this.

Get a good solid stick or a tall stone, pick somehwere you won be disturbed ever.
Put the stick/stonein the ground at the start of the year, and every mrnnig at sunrose you put a mark on the fround where th etip of th shadow from the stick is cast.
Repeat every sunrise.
After 3 months you will have a spiral.

I don't get it. I would think after a year you'd have either an ellipse or a figure 8.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Its been a very long time since I read the relevant info- but a quick dig gives this as the theory behind it if it helps-

the triple spiral may represent the nine-month period of human pregnancy, since the sun takes a fourth of a year to go from the celestial equator (an equinox) to extreme north or south declination (a solstice), and vice versa. During each three-month period, the sun's path across the sky appears to form a closely wound quasi-helical shape, which can be likened to a spiral, so that three spirals could represent nine months, providing an explanation for a link between fertility and the triple-spiral symbol.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Ah, but they are not talking about sunrise only. If you mark a dot at the tip of a shadow every hour, and keep doing it each day (though for clarity I'd suggest each week) you'll get a series of nested arcs. I suppose you could use your imagination to trace the missing part of the arcs into a spiral pattern, but it would never go to a central point.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:05 pm

this guy is hilarious, cant make out whether he's a Nut job or a genius. (probably nut job) Laughing

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Alex Jones has a long history of nuttery. I loved Andrew Neil's "we have an idiot on the program" at the end. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:00 pm

chris63 wrote:Thats one ugly fish.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Strange-animals-you-didnt-know-18-2

poor thing, it looks kind of human, and not very happy either. Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I like it. Nod

Crabbit fish- got a face that says, 'yeah I know how I look. What? You think Im happy about it do you? life sucks and then some bastard catches you and puts you on public display Mad '

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Alex Jones reminds me of this guy, Randy Quaid, who also likes to rant a bit.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:25 pm

if i ever was a ghost i think i would wear my blanket that has the cLouds and rainbow s on it. the scary part would be how good my chocolat cookies r
CC12 35
CC12 35
Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 am

[ltr]These Photos Of NYC's Subway Project Are Astonishing[/ltr]

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:24 am

Those are amazing. :DI remember going to the NYC subway museum back in 2004 or so when I visited the city for the first time.  They had some neat pictures there too.  It's really neat seeing how it's both similar and different now with modern technology. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Where's the extra piece coming from ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Awesome+chocolate

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 pm

can u not

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 pm

They fudge the exact measurements in the GIF.  If you tried that with a real chocolate bar you'd have an extra piece, but the other pieces wouldn't fit back together exactly and the bar as a whole would be shorter than the original one.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 pm

is it chocolate fudge
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Punny
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Spoiler:

erm.. this is a valid link and it is funny, it's like fun-facts

Eldo Edit: I fixed the image but I also spoilered it since it's so long. Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:00 pm

those are fascinating facts, but its the chocolate one that really scares me. pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Moving statue’ sets the turnstiles spinning as visitors flock to Manchester Museum
Egyptian statuette, dating back to 1,800BC, is creating intrigue at the Manchester Museum.

The statue of Neb-Senu was retrieved from a Mummy's tomb and handed to the museum 80 years ago but recently staff have noticed the statuette has been rotating very slowly inside its display case, being seen facing in different directions.

In a bid to solve the mystery, a time lapse camera was rigged up next to the case to take one image of the statuette every minute for a week.

It can be seen rotating 180 degrees in the display case on a glass shelf during the time period.

Staff at the museum believe the movement may have been caused by subtle movements from traffic outside or the footfall inside the museum itself.

But the fact the statuette has been in the case for decades and has never moved before and that no other items in the case have moved is puzzling staff

The mystery of the spinning Egyptian statue has sent visitor numbers soaring at the Manchester Museum.

The M.E.N. reported on Saturday how the 10-inch tall figure had spooked museum chiefs after it was filmed  inexplicably rotating in its display cabinet.

Time-lapse video clearly showed the statue, which dates back to 1,800 BC,  turning round inside the locked cabinet – without being touched by anyone.

Our story went global with international TV crews descending on the Oxford Road site to film the statue for themselves.

The news was also picked up by news websites in countries around the world - including in Egypt – and the museum has been inundated with calls from paranormal investigators
but Others have speculated the statue may be rotating because of a ‘Curse of the Pharaohs’.

The statue of Neb-Senu was retrieved from a Mummy's tomb and handed to the museum 80 years ago – but it has only recently been spotted spinning.

Scientists, including TV presenter Professor Brian Cox, said they believed the vibrations caused by the feet of passers-by may have caused the statue to rotate.

Tim Manley, head of marketing and communications at the museum, said: “We’re sure there’s a logical explanation, we’re just not quite sure what it is yet.” He added: “There’s been a definite spike in visitors. I think it’s been the busiest Monday I’ve ever seen. We usually get around 500 on a Monday during term time, but it was hundreds more today.” Among the visitors was Ciaran Milner, 21, a final year History and Sociology student who admitted that he had never previously visited the museum.

He said: “I’ve always been interested in history, but I’d never heard of a spinning artefact. I think I’d back Brian Cox’s theory over spirits or aliens though.”
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:09 pm

I watched the footage on the BBC website- looked like an obvious PR stunt to me- the statue only moves during the day when someone is there- it stays still all night.
And the time lapse camera they filed it with takes pics at interverals- leaving enough time between pics for someone to physically move it and still give the impression its turning on its own (and thats assuming its not caused by vibrations)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I love mysteries like this but, in a purely fun way. Is anyone allowed to pick it up & inspect it ? staff I mean. has it been tampered with ? I think someone watched the Ben Stiller film "night at the Museum" & thought it was a good idea for advertising ? Its interesting, but weird how it kips at night & boogies all day ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 20 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next