chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by azriel Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 am

Oooh-er Smile
That was fun Very Happy

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Eldorion Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Is it some fancy artificial hydrophobic material or like ... how does that work?
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:19 pm

this is fun:

http://blog.cosmosmagazine.com/blog/2015/3/3/what-earths-other-moon-could-tell-us-about-the-solar-system

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Mmm, seems to be some debate in the comments section about the facts in that article- both the dating of the discovery and if its orbiting us or the sun. scratch

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Looks like we only get to keep it for another 8,000 years. It's just a casual hook-up really. Still, we might as well enjoy the relationship while it lasts....

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:51 pm

On cloning wooly mammoths:
http://phys.org/news/2014-11-year-old-blood-mammoth-cloning-closer.html

The quote of the day:

'So actually coming face-to-face with a mammoth in the flesh, and being up to my elbows in slippery, wet, and frankly rather smelly mammoth liver, counts as one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

afro elephant cheers

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:22 pm

The molar teeth of mammoths and elephants, which are closely related, are replaced six times throughout their lives. Once the last set wears down, the animal generally starves and dies.

Sad
Though given all the other horrible ways to die I suppose starvation is one of the gentler options.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:08 pm

talking of horrible ways to die, theres this tv programme called Outlander with a redhead in a kilt, I was wondering whether to watch it. doesn't seem to mention Buckie so maybe its safe to watch. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 15-of-the-rarest-and-most-mind-blowing-photographs-in-history-5_zpstytqdy9g

Eiffel Tower being built, I never imagine this bit, only think of it when its done.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 15-of-the-rarest-and-most-mind-blowing-photographs-in-history-9_zpsyga5evx0

Same with The Statue of Liberty. I only imagine it when its complete.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Weird to think it was meant to be up for only a year. Shocked

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Cool cheers
azriel wrote:
Eiffel Tower being built, I never imagine this bit, only think of it when its done.
Same with The Statue of Liberty. I only imagine it when its complete.

That's the part that always interested me. I was one of those obnoxious kids that was always asking. "But how did they do that? HOW? HOW?"

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:12 am

Very Happy
Theres things that boggle my brain like, how do they erect piers ? & Dams, imagine laying down the 1st blocks, & cable cars in the mountains ? & how on Earth does a lighthouse,perched on a tiny rock in the sea, keep upright & doesnt succumb to the powerful pounding of the waves ?

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:18 am

Hundreds of workers were killed or damaged for life by caisson's disease during the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. Metal caissons were sunk down, and compressed air pump in to expel the water, and people went down airlocks to work, and usually get debilitating cramps and joint aches.

Decades later it was identified as nitrogen narcosis, and scuba divers licked it by mixing in other gasses and slow decompression. But it was pure mystery in the Gilded Age.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:22 pm

And I thought I had a large pleco in my tank, which was at least 15 years old ... This one is huge. What you see here is only its head. "Pleco" stands for Plecostomus (or sucker fish), the ones that clean your tank windows.

"A Dull-Eyed Royal Pleco is displayed during a news conference before the 2012 Taiwan International Aquarium Expo in Taipei. The fish, more than 60 cm in length, is estimated more than 60 years old, according to its owner."

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Big%20fish_zpsaqwvc7uq

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:23 pm

1902 lighthouse workers,

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 40 Lighthouse%201902%20workers_zpswinkhwif

-------

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/viewtopic.forum?t=1196

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40