chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by halfwise Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:06 pm

I thought the first one was carved from butter.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by azriel Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:12 pm

I think that 1st one is amazing Smile  All done with sand, special sand they say ( cement sand Laughing ? ) Ice or snow sculptures amaze me also.probably as I lack artistic skills myself.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:31 pm

I was reading lately about how comparatively light historic swords were, as opposed to how they are generally thought of in popular culture.
After all the films I've seen in which Conan or whomever is chopping about I imagined a great sword to weigh something like 20 or 30 pounds, but apparently they were rarely more than 5 pounds (2.26 kilos) or so, even the two-handed ones.
http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm#.VGED_sm9UqM

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:43 pm

I knew they'd have to be light enough to be swung, but that's way lighter than I ever imagined. Shocked Fascinating read, there.  Isn't the same true of plate armor, that it was much lighter than typically thought of? I've tried on chain mail and it's certainly heavy, but additional plate couldn't have weighed too much or no one would have been able to move.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:53 pm

And think of the weight the poor horses had to charge across a battle field with ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:31 pm

I think a lot of the plate armor that we think of, for both men and horses, was designed for display or for sports such as jousting. I remember reading that in the 19th century it became so popular to decorate your castles, villa's and hunting lodges that a whole industry sprang up of making impressive forgeries of plate armour.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Oooooh Shocked
Well that gave them something to do instead of embroidery on a long, cold, winters night Very Happy

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:01 am

"Embroidery? Bah! That's work for the summer months. 'Round here when the snow begins to fall we stoke up the forges and craft decorative artisanal plate armour for our castle hallways!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 am

Eldorion wrote:I knew they'd have to be light enough to be swung, but that's way lighter than I ever imagined. Shocked Fascinating read, there.  Isn't the same true of plate armor, that it was much lighter than typically thought of? I've tried on chain mail and it's certainly heavy, but additional plate couldn't have weighed too much or no one would have been able to move.
I loved the comparison made here:
" For example, noted British arms curator Charles Ffoulkes in 1938 declared: "The so-called 'Crusader' sword is heavy, broad-bladed, and short gripped. There is no balance, as the word is understood in swordsmanship, and to thrust with it is an impossibility·its weight made swift recovery impossible." (Ffoulkes, p.29-30)...Ffoulkes was no doubt basing his opinion on his understanding of contemporary fencing as conducted with the featherweight foils...of the modern sport (in the same way a tennis racket might feel "heavy" to a ping pong player). "

To compare, simply take 4 of your average-weight tennis rackets (about 40-48 ounces total) and there's the weight of your average sword. To put it another way, slightly heavier than a modern baseball bat or about the same as a modern cricket bat.
Of course, the balance would be off, but the concept of a sword being even distantly comparable to a tennis racket would have seemed ridiculous to me in the past. Yeah, right! I would say, maybe if we're talking about a light saber.
And a huge part of that idea of weight has to do with the balance of the weapon. I've heard this concept before (I mean, who doesn't remember Orlando Bloom's expert sword-smithing in PotC Razz ) but it sounds far more elegant when you consider how little weight is involved.

Edit:
Not to go on too long, but I looked up plate armour as well because I was curious. As suspected, it didn't weigh a terrible amount. Just from the Wikipedia page:
"...in fact, plate armour was lighter and featured more even weight distribution than a full complement of a modern firefighter's gear"
Full-body plate hung on the individual parts of the body, while most modern gear, especially Fireman's gear in this example, is hung off of the chest and shoulders.
They had partial plate armour back in Greek and Roman times.
On the right is the older archaic Bell-shaped cuirass which weighed about 25 pounds. On the left is the lighter Muscle Cuirass that weighed much less due to its shape (about 12 pounds maybe) and apparently replaced the older bell-shaped by the 5th Ce. BC. Notable is that the details on the left breastplate do not lineup with the actual body of the wearer: the armour ends below the ribcage, so as to allow more movement. The top of it is also quite narrow to allow greater movement of the arms. It's argued that these were more for display, but could probably have been used in battle as well, at least for cavalry.
(Edit: On second thought, the piece on the left does lineup pretty well anatomically, but there were other examples that did not so well. The point is that independent of what it looks like the Breastplate Cuirass ended well above the waist.)

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Museo_archeologico_regionale_paolo_orsi%2C_corazza_in_bronzo%2C_da_tomba_5_necropoli_della_fossa%2C_370-340_ac._01 Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Gr3
(Talk about nipples on a breastplate) :brows:

This is the Roman Lorica segmentata (this name was invented in the 16th Ce.; they don't know what they used to call it apparently). Used from about 9 B.C. to 300 AD. It was really some sweet armour. The strips had softer iron on the inside, and harder steel on the outside so that it was strong without becoming brittle. This case hardening was achieved by packing the outside of the armour with organic materials and then heating it in a forge. This infused the outside with carbon, resulting in a mild steel exterior. It could be disassembled into 4 different parts, which were held together by brass buckles, hinge straps, etc. Modern reproductions weigh about 15 pounds or so, but the historical pieces certainly could have weighed more, as I am tempted to think that modern reproductions don't use case hardening, but simply cast it all in mild steel. I might be wrong though!
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Therionarms_c744b

It was widespread, but mail was still pretty common, and much easier to make. It's a sign of how much easier it is to make that after the fall of the Roman Empire plate armour fell out of production. After a while, the word "mail" became synonymous with "armour."

By 1420 or so, however, full body plate mail had been developed in Europe.
"A full suit of plate armour would have consisted of a helmet, a gorget (or bevor), pauldrons , besagews, rondels, couters, vambraces, gauntlets, a cuirass (back and breastplate) with a fauld, tassets and a culet, a mail skirt, cuisses, poleyns, greaves, and sabatons. " -Wikipedia
Even with all that it weighed about 33-55 pounds. That might seem like quite a lot, but despite the tiring effects of it, that weight is spread across your whole body evenly, which would really alleviate how much it would cramp your maneuverability. Importantly here Eldo, you wouldn't wear full-body plate armour over mail. One or the other, generally.
By the 15th and 16th centuries a large percentage of your average European army would have consisted of men-at-arms equipped with full-body plate.
Apparently the best armoursmiths were Italians or southern Germans. The Ottoman Turks used more of a mix-and-match with mail and plate, especially for the "shock troops," the Janissaries. (A term I know from Age of Empires III Razz )

15 Century Italian set:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Italian_-_Sallet_-_Walters_51580

16th Century German (I hope they did use a codpiece and it's just missing from this set):
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 2578901866_67678a4b42

Late 15th Ottoman Armour (note the plate protecting the lower chest and upper abdomen):
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Ottoman_armour_1480-1500

Naturally, because this is how humans think and act, all this plate led to the development of more powerful crossbows and bows, and the development of polearms that could be used to put more force into a smaller point so as to pierce armour. This is exactly why it is ridiculous to have images like this around in the public mind as something historically possible:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Female_bpOddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Rise_of_the_Lycans

If someone were to actually wear this, they could die quite easily in at least one of two ways:
1. Get their chest hit by a blunt weapon of some kind, which would then force the inwardly-pointed part of the breastplate into their sternum, crushing their chest.
2. Find sharp pointy weapons sliding right into that convenient armour-cleavage and catching, and piercing, right into the chest.

Figure on Right: Probably going to live.
Figure on Left: Not so much.
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 20120310200728!SteelPlateArmorBoth
Ah Elder Scrolls...

Much better!
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Brienne-Of-Tarth-women-of-westeros-30785434-517-629

With better development of firearms in the 17th century, you start to see metal plate only used to cover vital areas like the chest and head. I'm reminded of the armour shown in the English Civil War films I've seen.

So, in conclusion, the full-body Plate armour that we see in the late Middle Ages and onward was about 40-50 pounds (18 to 23ish kilos) but the individual pieces were strapped to the unique parts of the body (forearms, upper arms, chest, legs, helmet, etc.) and attached together in such a way that it did not hamper the wearer too much due to weight nor majorly effect your flexibility. After all this soulless Wikipedia stuff I found this cool website as well, feel free to peruse the FAQs!
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm

Interestingly enough, "chain mail" is in fact a pleonasm (like "black darkness", or "burning fire", or "see with one's eyes"). Mail is armour made of small chains of metal linked together. Therefore, "Plate mail" is not a real thing.
To be sure, "plated mail" is a type of armour found mostly in Asia and the Middle East and is simply mail with little bits of plate linked into it like so:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Bechter_Diagramm

A little more obvious is the trivia that the grooves sometimes seen down the middle of a blade are not "blood channels" but were simply used to lighten the blade without significantly weakening it.

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:08 am

Whoa. I need to sleep!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Nice work, Forest! I was wondering looking at your multiple posts so early in the morning what was keeping you up. Though by Bluebottle's standards I suppose it's early enough to be considered late instead, late enough for a beer!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Good digging Forest- fascinating read.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks for taking the time to type all of that up, Forest! It's a really interesting read. I knew that my terminology was not very precise, so I appreciate the extra explanation.

Even with all that it weighed about 33-55 pounds. That might seem like quite a lot, but despite the tiring effects of it, that weight is spread across your whole body evenly, which would really alleviate how much it would cramp your maneuverability. Importantly here Eldo, you wouldn't wear full-body plate armour over mail. One or the other, generally.

I must have picked this up from movies or games or something. That makes sense, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Well we should make the distinction between full-plate armour and partial-plate armour.
As you saw with the Janissary mail you could certainly include some plate on your mail.

With full-body plate, I would imagine it would be redundant to also wear mail underneath. In addition, it would be terribly heavy and extremely uncomfortable. I think what they wore was generally heavy-padded clothing underneath that would help cushion blows to their body (I mean, if you think about it, having solid metal around your body, and having that solid metal get hit by heavy things is close to asking for said metal to be crushed into your vitals).

But consider all the armour we see in Lord of the Rings (and here I'm sure you know more about all the Plate Vs. Mail debate than I do):
Here's a post on TOR.N about Sauron's stuff:
Nerdgasms over Sauron's Cool Stuff
It's nifty stuff. Importantly, he is wearing pretty much full plate over mail.

Anyway, I looked through the various peoples of the film:

Rohirrim:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 1371026090_small
You see several of the older and young at Helm's Deep in a simple mail shirt as the figure in the middle is wearing. But then there's also this fishscale mail on the figure on the left. This type is old and has been used in lots of places. Basically you attach a whole ton of little plate scales to a backing of leather or some such and to eachother.
It's better against bludgeoning damage than mail is, making it, I suppose, preferable if you're on horseback and going to ride into a hammer or something real hard.

Frodo Side-Note:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Roman_scale_armour_detail

Then we come to Eomer on the right: He seems to be wearing this same stuff:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Eomer_wp1152_864
He's wearing a mail shirt that ends halfway up his thighs. Apparently a fishscale skirt, as well as a plate cuirass, and plate on his forearms, shoulders and the front of his lower legs.

Gondorion stuff: More decorate plate on the Guards of the... The name eludes me!
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Gondor-header

Overall, just big-ass shoulder-guards on everyone.
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Tttdvdrotkp8

I looked up shoulder-guards, or pauldrons as the French cowards would have us call them, and when armour lacked a besagew (those metal discs located in front of the armpits that look like handy little lance-targets) the pauldrons would sometimes be winged instead (I think that's the term for it).
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Pauld%20smpl%2001
I was thinking that maybe the pauldrons on the Gondorian armour were so big-looking so as to achieve the same effect as the besagew, which protected the arteries found in the armpit from stabbing. I'm not so certain however: they might just be for show.
I mean, look how much neater and compact this medieval piece looks compared to the honking-big pauldrons in LotR:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Dresden-Zwinger-Armoury-Armor.13.-besagewshighlightedjpg

Aragorn undergoes a clear transition that kind of mimics the scale (heheh) of the battles of the trilogy:
Classy leather garments --> Mail and Boromir's forearm-things --> Mail and plate by the end of RotK (I can't remember seeing his cuirass, or chestpieces I mean, in the final battle. But he certainly had a shnazzy looking bell-shaped cuirass by the coronation scene.
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 PQCvW Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Aragorn_armor_3
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Narsil-lotr Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 CI_73496_1358689197

The Uruks of Orthanc wear a similar partial-Plate-over-mail to what we've seen already.

Overall, none of it is full-body plate armour. Pretty much everyone wears mail, but then also wears at least some pieces of plate on top of that.
I'm trying to find historical equivalents. There's something called the Churburg style, as shown here:
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Full-plate-armour-in-churburg-style-1
This is earlier on in the Middle Ages, more 14 century, and before plate had been fully developed.

So I suppose, more than anything, the armour in the Lord of the Rings films ranges from very old mail and fishscale, to a style most similar to early Middle Ages plate, at which point full-body plate had not yet been perfected and it was easier, and cheaper, to simply slap some pieces of plate over the top of a mail shirt.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:23 pm

quite another to say that mail like he has can protect your organs from the full force of a spear crushing you down at the hand's of a cave troll. - Forest

Because PJ prefers spectacle. In the book its an orc who thrusts the spear not a ginormous troll, and the mail is backed by leather, and it doesnt fully protect him, it only protects him from the piercing damage, he is badly bruised and winded however and says he feels like he has been caught between a hammer and the anvil.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes I do remember thinking of that change as being especially confusing as concerns the force of the blow.
I might be thinking of the Bakshi dub , I mean version, but doesn't Frodo in the book get stabbed by the spear while standing away from the wall? Otherwise even the force of an orc-chieftan's thrust if Frodo had his back against something solid must have broken something.
The mithril coat is mail in the book, right? I'm going to go double-check on that!
Edit:
I believe Gandalf describes it as a "shirt of mithril rings".

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:59 pm

If Oberyn taugth us anything it's that you don't need armour. Nod

Helmet might be a good idea though. pale

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Or some goggles.

Really though, there's a difference between single-combat and running around a battlefield with no real armour on.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Depending on the period, I think a lot  of battle armour was intended at least partially as protection against archers.  Skill at arms could protect a person in direct combat, but flights of arrows descending from above called for more general protection.

Helmets and shields of some kind were like hats and umbrellas in a heavy rain. Don't leave home without them!Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 pm

I have a book on military technology.  Knights never approved of archers.  No matter how good you were with a sword, some cheeky bugger could still nail you from 50 yards away.  Took all the fun out of warfare.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:15 pm

halfwise wrote:I have a book on military technology.  Knights never approved of archers.  No matter how good you were with a sword, some cheeky bugger could still nail you from 50 yards away.  Took all the fun out of warfare.

I guess it's much the same way today, only now the archers are drones Wink

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 36 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:54 am

halfwise wrote:I have a book on military technology.  Knights never approved of archers.  No matter how good you were with a sword, some cheeky bugger could still nail you from 50 yards away.  Took all the fun out of warfare.
Exactly, what is this madness? Peasants with bows killing off the nobility? Bad form indeed!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Exactly, what is this madness? Peasants with bows killing off the nobility? Bad form indeed!

It got even worse with the introduction of firearms.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:16 am

Where did you get that quote from? An NRA banner!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:27 am

19th century marketing slogan, I believe.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next