chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:14 am

Just watched the second episode in Scared Britain, which I am enjoying immensely- but they got something important wrong- and it annoys me.

They were in the English fens discussing the bronze and early iron age practises of putting expensive and prestigious items into the water (more than 300 items from one excavated area- so clearly they weren't just dropping them by accident).

However the summing up of what they were doing was -marking a border- where land meets water.

Now it might seem a bit rich for an armchair historian like myself to accuse two archaeologists who have made the period their life work (and it is) but I do have practical shaman experience- and that's where I learned the importance and significance of such places- and its not a bloody border.
Its a transition zone- what they were interested, fascinated, revered and even fearful for were transitions.

So dusk and dawn are 'magical times' because they are neither day nor night but something inbetween, beaches are important because land meets water but fens and bogs and marshes are crucial- as there land and water become indistinguishable. There is no way to tell by looking if any bit of them is safe solid ground or potential watery death.

Its not borders that are of interest its transitional zones, its places in the world which are neither one thing or another but a blending- at these places different worlds collide (hence the association with such places not just with offerings but with the ancestors and with spirits in general)- they are gaps in the world, points where the world is not one or the other and stuff can get through.
And I feel the archaeologists should really know that and I was surprised they did not and instead went on about marking borders between land and water (so close but missing the significance of the place).

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:26 am

Picture taken by the Mars Rover- thats us that is, all of us, everyone you've every known, everywhere you've ever seen all there on that tiny dot.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Capture_zps99c5c620

I am never sure which emotion is strongest when I see something like that- awestruck at the scale and wonder and delicacy of it all, or a nagging feeling that we are so insignificant we are probably certainly fucked and doomed and chances are the universe wouldn't even notice if we were any more than when the dinosaurs went extinct on that tiny little blue speck.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 am

I have often talked to people about going out in to space... like one of the these Virgin galactic trips in their future forms... and I am always surprised at how many people say they don't want to do it and that it wouldn't make any difference to their lives.

Seeing something like that in a picture but seeing it with your eyes is something else entirely. I think it would be a life changing thing for a lot of people.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:55 am

Funny that Petty, I think like you but, the other way round. Ideas pop in my head whenever I see a beautiful full moon. I mean a REALLY full moon, were you could JUST touch it, & the light is so bright it nearly feels warm.

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

I think it would be a life changing thing for a lot of people.- Lance

I agree. I think it would be hard not to be struck by the fragility of it all- which you can realise from pictures intellectually, but not see and feel in every fibre as you would were you there looking back.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

"Scientists have discovered the earliest evidence of human footprints outside of Africa, on the Norfolk Coast in the East of England.
The footprints are more than 800,000 years old and were found on the shores of Happisburgh.
The Happisburgh footprints are the only ones of this age in Europe and there are only three other sets that are older, all of which are in Africa.

"They appear to have been made by one adult male who was about 5ft 9in (175cm) tall and the shortest was about 3ft. The other larger footprints could come from young adult males or have been left by females. The glimpse of the past that we are seeing is that we have a family group moving together across the landscape."

One suggestion is that they were a species called Homo antecessor, which was known to have lived in southern Europe. It is thought that these people could have made their way to what is now Norfolk across a strip of land that connected the UK to the rest of Europe a million years ago. They would have disappeared around 800,000 years ago because of a much colder climate setting in not long after the footprints were made.

It was not until 500,000 years ago that a species called Homo heidelbergensis lived in the UK. It is thought that these people evolved into early Neanderthals some 400,000 years ago. The Neanderthals then lived in Britain intermittently until about 40,000 years ago - a time that coincided with the arrival of our species, Homo sapiens.- BBC

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 _72796878_ancient_footprints_624v2_zpsa9fa8700

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 _72796884_img_9442_zps918b506f

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Great Petty, like all that kind of stuff  bounce 

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 14+-+1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Is that real ? Shame if it is Sad

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:23 am

I'm pretty sure that's real Chris.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 am

Hopefully I'll be there briefly in october, I'll let you know.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 am

Not hang gliding off them, by any chance? farao 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:26 am

I wish.

I'm still hoping Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad will prove the best tour guide. In that case you hand a couple of helpful ruffians some baksheesh and they haul you to the top of a pyramid, jumping up each stone block then yanking you up by your arms behind them.

I understand this practice is now frowned upon, and there are no more ascents. I'm glad I made it to the pyramids in Tiahuanaco in Mexico before they banned tourists ascents there.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:42 am

I climbed the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon at Teotihuacan south of Mexico City when I was 18. That was my first international trip without parental units.  
I was on top of the World! cheers

Pyramid of the Sun 
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCn5-NFSE4Ye-Qtd706rrxSUgqLZYKivrRoiPGL3RibblrvmCo

From the top of Pyramid of the Sun looking back towards Pyramid of the Moon
Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQG3oiefznvOOw5GdNl2TnwWJ83UPGTVDKMg2yHnb_2v5iJIxPnhw
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:"Scientists have discovered the earliest evidence of human footprints outside of Africa, on the Norfolk Coast in the East of England.
The footprints are more than 800,000 years old and were found on the shores of Happisburgh.
The Happisburgh footprints are the only ones of this age in Europe and there are only three other sets that are older, all of which are in Africa.

Every time we get a new discovery about early man/hominids it just drives home how little we know about that stage of human evolution. I hope we're able to get a clearer picture within my lifetime since I find it fascinating, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:14 pm

halfwise wrote:Hopefully I'll be there briefly in october, I'll let you know.

You can see them from the highway, so it's real enough Smile This is likely what you'll see, though:

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 1-sol

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp1gU--fW3lhrIt1TzBHyISWghrG7t2qi_KSwWWabRJvS_rwaA

I was there 3-4 years ago, and it's all very impressive, but the effect is ruined somewhat by all the people. Still well worth a visit Smile

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Macro-photograph-of-bee-6-006_zps8e35dd5f

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Macro-photograph-of-bee-4-004_zps7b0bba7c

Look different close up dont they ?, the last one is, a bee covered in pollen

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 28 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:56 pm

I used to be in charge of an electron microscope. Spent many hours taking closeups like that just for the hell of it. Pre-dated wasting time on the internet, and a hell of a lot more fun.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 pm

fascinating little creatures Bees. I think Bees ans spiders are my favorite insects.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:33 pm

halfwise wrote:I used to be in charge of an electron microscope.  Spent many hours taking closeups like that just for the hell of it.  

THAT sounds like a cool job!   Thumbs Up 

We have several varieties of native bees (not to mention wasps and hornets Sofa ) and we rent hives of bees during bloom for greater pollination. They truck them up from California almond orchards for a month's vacation in the Northwest.  I'm mostly good friends with them. When I'm working in the bog during bloom on a sunny day, there are a million bees all around me for acres and acres, and there's a soft, warm, rumbley buzz that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. I just imagine I'm another worker bee and work among them.  It's a cozy sound, like being part of a giant purring cat laying in a sunny spot. Very Happy 

But some people have been known to freak out.... especially when a bee gets inside your clothing or tangled in you hair or beard... affraid
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:46 pm

You paint a lovely picture Dave !  Very Happy I can imagine the sound of the hum around you. Id love to keep Bees if I lived more rural. Just not the right setting here. Half the dimwits here would only attack anything I had with a giant can of "fly spray" or whatever.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:47 pm

hmm inside clothing is not so good.  pale but it sounds like you are in Beorns Bee garden  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:it sounds like you are in Beorns Bee garden  Very Happy 

Fortunately our bees aren't that big! Shocked pale 
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 pm

If they do crawl inside my trousers without my noticing, I'll feel that awkward tickle and start calmly disrobing to let them escape. That's when it can get a bit awkward.

They can literally smell fear, so if you get tense and start to exude a fear pheromone you'll feel the bee start to get anxious too.

There's a defensive buzz that's higher and louder than the purr sound, and when you feel it against your private places, it's time to reach down calmly and pinch the poor scared bee out of existence.  

Panic swatting just makes things worse. Sometimes much worse....
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 pm

ugh I wouldnt like to pinch a bee, I think I would just panic and run around screaming like a big girl.  Embarassed pale 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next