chris63
Eldorion
Kafria
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
26 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by CC12 35 Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:59 am

I've been side swooping my bangs and feeling like a traitor

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history

Post by David H Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 am

It sounds like this guy's been getting some serious applicants. Shocked

NEW YORK (AP) — A prominent genetics expert from Harvard Medical School says he is not looking for a woman to bear a Neanderthal baby. Not even an adventurous one.

Some press reports in the past few days suggest Harvard's George Church is supporting the idea of creating a Neanderthal and even looking for an "adventurous" woman for the project.

Church says those reports are based on misunderstandings of an interview he gave the German magazine Der Spiegel. Church said the idea gets a brief mention as a theoretical possibility in his recent book.

Scientists have recovered DNA from Neanderthal fossils. Making a Neanderthal baby would start with putting that DNA into human stem cells.

Church says such a process would face ethical questions.

I wonder if Biffo would like the contact info of these ladies? Very Happy
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 am

I think Biffo might be v1.0.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 am

it's like making a mammoth!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm

here is your throat back thanks 4 the loan

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Dont worry Dave, yer balls will be intact, since your doing a good thing for charity,how can we deny you ?! Very Happy
Neanderthal Mammoth with a mullet...mmm ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:16 pm

azriel wrote:
Neanderthal Mammoth with a mullet

Brilliant! How could that possibly go wrong? cheers
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

yeah good for you Dave, its a very nice gesture. Very Happy

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Biffo Banks Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Woodna mine utorl a fyn porshon ov mommoth, und uh skweez un tuckle uftarwoods behun za booshez, wid won eyeoot four prowlin sabertoozs ... Oooh aluk! Zose dees ar loong goon! Goon, eye sez! Sad

Braneyobbit

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 am

I want my car coated with this stuff.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Europe from space

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 BC6FxQDCcAEprej

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Interesting to see the "islands" between GB and Norway.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

blue red and yellow? What happened to white? (Shouldn't Ireland be green?)

I suppose the 'islands' are North Sea oil rigs.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Yup there be money in them there lights Halfy! Very Happy

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 pm

But why the red, yellow and blue? I don't remember seeing off white street light colors the few times I've been to Europe.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

I suspect the colours have been 'enhanced'- UK looks yellow but our streets lights are more orange than yellow.
I had no idea Ireland had red street lights however, assuming it actually does.

Its also amazing how much of Scotland compared to the surroundng nations is still in the dark- just the central belt and the east coast densly lit really.
That black area is the place most of the folks caught up in the Highland Clearences were from. It never reovered in terms of population. Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm pretty sure the image has been edited. All the lights are going to blend together into a (more or less) white when photographed from orbit. You can see that in a different picture, here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/27/population.eu
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Oh I have no doubt it's been enhanced (I'm a satellite guy, after all) and landsat will definitely give you all the resolution you need.

but you can't enhance unless you have something to enhance. Since yellow is actually an equal mixture of red and green I'm not sure how orange (red with diminishing amounts of green) would turn yellow (enhanced green from the orange mix) without green popping up somewhere else. It's very odd.

Last edited by halfwise on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : technical correction)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 pm

Meteorite explodes over Russia, more than 1,000 injured

(Reuters) - A meteorite streaked across the sky and exploded over central Russia on Friday, raining fireballs over a vast area and causing a shock wave that smashed windows, damaged buildings and injured 1,200 people.

People heading to work in Chelyabinsk heard what sounded like an explosion, saw a bright light and then felt the shock wave, according to a Reuters correspondent in the industrial city 1,500 km (950 miles) east of Moscow.

The fireball, travelling at a speed of 30 km (19 miles) per second according to Russian space agency Roscosmos, had blazed across the horizon, leaving a long white trail that could be seen as far as 200 km (125 miles) away.

Car alarms went off, thousands of windows shattered and mobile phone networks were disrupted. The Interior Ministry said the meteorite explosion, a very rare spectacle, also unleashed a sonic boom.

"I was driving to work, it was quite dark, but it suddenly became as bright as if it were day," said Viktor Prokofiev, 36, a resident of Yekaterinburg in the Urals Mountains.

"I felt like I was blinded by headlights."

The meteorite, which weighed about 10 metric tons and may have been made of iron, entered Earth's atmosphere and broke apart 30-50 km (19-31 miles) above ground, according to Russia's Academy of Sciences.

The energy released when it entered the Earth's atmosphere was equivalent to a few kilotonnes, the academy said, the power of a small atomic weapon exploding.

No deaths were reported but the Emergencies Ministry said 20,000 rescue and clean-up workers were sent to the region after President Vladimir Putin told Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov to ease the disruption and help the victims.

The Interior Ministry said about 1,200 people had been injured, at least 200 of them children, and most from shards of glass
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

Wow, the numbers have climbed.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Imagine if this had happened during the height of the Cold War. affraid

The Soviet military would have assumed naturally that intercontinental ballistic missiles were starting to rain down on them and they'd have been reaching for their red buttons. pale
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 am

That woulda been fun...pale

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 pm

pale
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history - Page 15 284594-tardigrade-water-bear

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/miniature-water-bear-natures-ultimate-survivor-or-alien/story-fn5fsgyc-1226583288014

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 am

Looks like it's made of canvas, some golf tees and a couple plastic cups.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next