Eldorion
Orwell
12 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

All New Who - Page 31 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:29 am

Haha, true enough.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:46 pm

yep but do you want to disillusion kids with all the crappy relationships adults get into? Dr Who is a kids show afterall. No it should be happy and healthy and between equals like Rose and 10s relationship. something positive not something dreary and soul destroying like Amy and Rory.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:57 pm

{{{Rose and 10 wasn't equals- couldn't be more unequal- a 19 year old who knows next to nothing, is ignorant, borderline racist at times, and treats her boyfriend with disdain, cheats on him, strings him along, then throws a wobbly at him when he breaks it off with her! Whilst the whole time having a relationship with a man who is a different species, about a 1000 years older than her and supposedly just about the cleverest most intelligent person in existence, its just weird and creepy and inappropriate, and why? What on earth would he see in this girl?  Its a horrible relationship.
At least with River you can understand it.11 knows he is on his last regen, thinks he has destroyed his own race and is the last, and a woman comes along who he knows the parents off well and he is best friends with, she is part time lord, she regenerates, she travels in space and time and she is also a part child of the TARDIS and she has an extended lifespan- you can see the attraction and why he could end up with someone like River. A 19 year old earth girl? Just wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I can only assume you didn't even watch the Ponds vid Figg, as they have very well chosen several scenes in which Amy and Rory make huge decisions as a team, sharing the decision making and the responsibilities. Their entire marriage is summed up in the words of Amy 'Together or not at all' its the very epitome of an equal relationship- no decision is taken without the others input and agreement.

Here's some classic 'healthy' Rose/Mickey.
Rose on finding out Mickey is seeing someone else-

'MICKEY: I'm going out with Trisha Delaney.
ROSE: Right. That's nice. Trisha from the shop?
MICKEY: Yeah, Rob Delany's sister.
ROSE: Well, she's nice. She's a bit big.

Yeah nice Rose, go straight for her weight.

This is followed up by Mickey giving her a few home truths, shame it doesn't seem to actually change her any in the future-

MICKEY: We could ask about hotels.
ROSE: What would Trisha Delaney say?
MICKEY: Suppose. There's a bar down there with a Spanish name or something
ROSE: You don't even like Trisha Delaney!
MICKEY: Oh, is that right? What the hell do you know?
ROSE: I know you, And I know her. And I know that's never going to happen. So who do you think you're kidding?
MICKEY: At least I know where she is!
ROSE: There we are, then. It's got nothing to do with Trisha. This is all about me, isn't it
MICKEY: You left me! We were nice, we were happy. And then what? You give me a kiss and you run off with him, and you make me feel like nothing, Rose. I was nothing. I can't even go out with a stupid girl from a shop because you pick up the phone and I come running. I mean, is that what I am, Rose, standby? Am I just supposed to sit here for the rest of my life, waiting for you? Because I will.

And then of course she just leaves him anyway. And quick to go on about Mickey seeing someone else but mysteriously fails to mention the 'boyfriend' she picked up in the Dalek episode or her growing feelings for the Doctor who she ran away with leaving Mickey hanging to do so. And when this argument breaks out they are arranging to go to a hotel for the night, and not in the hopes of getting a good nights sleep! She is happy to string him along, shag him even when she fancies it, then bugger of and leave him dangling again!
Yup that's real healthy that is! }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 pm

{{{Malick- its an odd one that. Dunno why Barrowman seems to think its otherwise. Not like Moffat has a problem with other spinoffs running at same time- SJA only stopped because of untimely death and Class starts soon.
Plus why would Barrowman think Moffat has that power over Torchwood? Its not like he has power over Who, he still has to answer to the execs and they make the big final decisions on stuff like budget, content, broadcast times, commissioning, hiring and firing.
Maybe the reason Torchwood has not been back on TV is simply because Miracle Days was appallingly bad.

Not sure what bBarrowman was trying to do here, but if you make accusations like that you have be certain and some proof of it, all he seems ot have done is created unnecessarily bad blood between the man who first gave us Captain Jack and the man who plays him- surely reducing the chances of seeing him again in Who }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Don't really see the point in this to be honest, it's freely available on DVD or streaming and the Blu Ray version isn't even a remaster from the original film footage just a upscale, and it doesn't include any new special features.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 pm

{{Quite agree Malick- seems like a quick and cheap cash-in by BBC Worldwide trading off the back of the popularity of 8 from his appearance in the 50th short.
A popularity Moffat probably doesn't get enough credit for, I rewatched it recently and given Moffat had 6 minutes to tell it in, a limited cast, the lead actor for a short amount of time, and only a short time to write and prep for it, yet it's extraordinary tight.
And it cunningly presents a series of quick scenes which allow the 8th Doctor's character to come out in a variety of circumstances, we see the best of 8- so we first get the dashing Edwardian traveler, swooping in out of nowhere to rescue the bright young spark- we basically get a really short this is what he is like getting a new companion scene- then it all goes tits up when she finds out hes a Time Lord and the War comes up, and we get the passionate moral 8th, we get the almost childish, flippant yet wittily dismissive 8 with his initial back and forth with the Sisterhood and his final self sacrifice of being the Doctor in order to become the Warrior needed to win the Time War and his love and remembrance of all his companions.
Moffat wrote a showcase for the 8th Doctors personality and made it a compelling mini narrative leading to a regen at the same time.
Had Moffat screwed it up we wouldn't be hearing 'bring back 8 in a spin off', it would have been 'at least thats the last we will see of him, the TV movie was shit anyway'

On the plus side though nor we would have BBC Worldwide selling an upscaled blueray as if its something we haven't already seen (or in fact with the right program on a pc can do ourselves!) }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:02 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Quite agree Malick- seems like a quick and cheap cash-in by BBC Worldwide trading off the back of the popularity of 8 from his appearance in the 50th short.
A popularity Moffat probably doesn't get enough credit for, I rewatched it recently and given Moffat had 6 minutes to tell it in, a limited cast, the lead actor for a short amount of time, and only a short time to write and prep for it, yet it's extraordinary tight.
And it cunningly presents a series of quick scenes which allow the 8th Doctor's character to come out in a variety of circumstances, we see the best of 8- so we first get the dashing Edwardian traveler, swooping in out of nowhere to rescue the bright young spark- we basically get a really short this is what he is like getting a new companion scene- then it all goes tits up when she finds out hes a Time Lord and the War comes up, and we get the passionate moral 8th, we get the almost childish, flippant yet wittily dismissive 8 with his initial back and forth with the Sisterhood and his final self sacrifice of being the Doctor in order to become the Warrior needed to win the Time War and his love and remembrance of all his companions.
Moffat wrote a showcase for the 8th Doctors personality and made it a compelling mini narrative leading to a regen at the same time.
Had Moffat screwed it up we wouldn't be hearing 'bring back 8 in a spin off', it would have been 'at least thats the last we will see of him, the TV movie was shit anyway'

On the plus side though nor we would have BBC Worldwide selling an upscaled blueray as if its something we haven't already seen (or in fact with the right program on a pc can do ourselves!) }}}

Indeed, it was the perfect ending for the 8th Doctor i.m.o.

Spoilered for length, Analysis/Review Of The Night Of The Doctor

Spoiler:

I wonder if they will consider upscaling any more of the Classic Series? Not sure if there would be a big market for it, and you probably couldn't do too much with 30+ year old videotape quality footage but alot of the DVD's are out of print and Classic Season boxsets might attract a new audience...

Last edited by malickfan on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:07 pm

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/bbc-says-new-doctor-who-spin-off-is-not-suitable-for-kids-to-watch

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm

{{Well that makes sense its a BBC 3 show and its target audience is 'young adults' }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:42 pm

{{Just a variety of Who vids which caught my eye.

First, I found this quite fun and interesting. Its the opening of 11th Hour, including title music, but using classic radiophonic workshop Who soundtracks (and if you are a Hitchhikers fan its amazing how many similar phrases are used in their Who stuff and in it)

Next up just a very nice vid

This isn't directly Who related, its Moffat related, a clip I stumbled on fro an episode of Press Gang, his first show for kids, and his first tv show at all in fact. What I found interesting, beyond the subject matter, is that Moffat has his lead character speak for him- Linda's words- 'we always make the assumption we are dealing with people with a certain degree of intelligence' this has essentially been Moffats mantra for writing tv with a child audience from the get go, and is almost worded exactly the same as statements he has made in response to the charge Who is too complicated for children. Its also, particularly if you are fan of the show, always great fun when Linda gets her crabbit rant on Very Happy }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:34 pm

{{just lovely Sad }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a809302/david-tennants-10th-doctor-who-is-voted-the-best-tv-character-of-the-21st-century-after-a-tense-battle/

Kinda ironic that the Doctor arguably furthest removed from the original character remains one of the most popular...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Funny since I really didn't like him in the role. It's why I never got into nuWho. I've loved him in other roles (Casanova comes to mind) but for some reason he just got under my skin as Dr Who.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 pm

halfwise wrote:Funny since I really didn't like him in the role.  It's why I never got into nuWho.  I've loved him in other roles (Casanova comes to mind) but for some reason he just got under my skin as Dr Who.

Tennant's a weird Doctor for me, because it was his stories and performance that got me interested in the show, then I started to watch the classic series/listen to audios and over the years have, paradoxically become less and less fond of how his Doctor was written, everything they tried to do with the 10th Dr (tragic romantic figure running from past trauma who ultimately falls victim to his own flaws) McGann does better in the audios i.m.o...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:12 pm

{{{ The writer of Who spin off Class, Patrick Ness talks about the show}}

{{Weird thing I always find with Tennants Doctor is that a lot of his best episodes he isn't in much, or isnt in it as the Doctor- Blink and Turn Left he is barely in and Human Nature/Family of Blood he plays human John Smith for most of it.
Or of his other best stuff the character is more traditionally Doctory due to ether circumstances (Midnight/ Waters of Mars) or writer (Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead/The Girl in the Fireplace -I could so easily imagine that last one being an 8th Doctor story). }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Tennant is my favourite Doctor. He has my favourite companions too. Nobody could beat Tennant and Donna. when I think of the Doctor I imagine Tennant, I love his quirk, and his gentle joyful moments, he can do dark and dangerous just as well. he isn't the most 'alien' Doctor but that doesn't bother me. He has given me some of the best moments in all of Who.

I thought Buffy would have come higher. Shocked and what about Xena warrior princess?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:20 pm

{{{Tennant is certainly a good actor and he has some excellent episodes, and even in poorer ones he can be very engaging to watch. But out of all the NuWho Doctors he seems the most detached from canon Doctors. I don't get the sense of the previous nine incarnations in 10 very often, he is like a stand alone Doctor most of the time, but I do get that sense of the weight of his previous incarnations from 9,11 and 12.

I'd give Xena one Figg Nod (a vote obviously) }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Nobody could beat Tennant and Donna.- Figg

{{Hypothetically I think they could. By which I mean that whilst Donna is my favourite Nuwho companion she is paired with my least favourite NUWHo Doctor, and some of my least favourite (and favourite) stories.
I honestly think that the character of Donna is so strong as is the strength of the performance that she would be my favourite companion had she been with any NuWHo Doctor. She frankly all but singlehandedly saves some of the worst of that eras episodes with her performance. I'd dearly love to see Donna and 12! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:24 pm

I wouldn't. its not a good match.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 pm

{{What makes you think that? I think the more alien, less relating to humans 12 would be perfectly matched to Donna's very human personality- plenty of scope for both humour and understanding and growth to emerge. Plus two great actors firing off each other

}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:23 pm

its not a good match because 12 can be very abrasive, Donna can be very abrasive, you need oil and water not sandpaper and sandpaper. if Donna had met 12 she would never have become softer and less shouty.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:00 pm

{{I see what you are saying, just not sure I would quite agree. Donna's compassion and humanity came out most strongly when the Doctor was lacking in them- her first appearance she stops him from seemingly committing suicide (going on the version in Turn Left)- it appears he was just going to stand there till the water drowned him and presumably not regenerate- she stopped him by making him see he was taking it too far. Same goes for her big breakthrough as it were in Fires of Pompeii, its her compassion in the face of the Doctors determination not to save anyone because the rules say he cant that saves the Pompeii family. I could easily see her playing a similar role with 12's seeming lack of of compassion.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:50 am

I feel I'm a little skeptic to Donna and 12, but I think it's more the fear of the unknown. We know what we had and Donna was wonderful. But I do agree that 12 needs a Donna-esque figure. At least he has, guess it depends where he is in his life this season.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:28 pm

what he doesn't need is a twentysomething human female. its boring. it doesn't fit him well, I think having a male companion would have been a better match. mind you I am not really invested in 12 and don't like him much so I am not really fussed either way.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:21 pm

I think it's more the fear of the unknown.- Amarie

{{Well not a fear you need as obviously its not happening- was more speculation on my part that Donna's character and Tate's performance are so strong that she could have been a companion to any of the modern Doctors and it would work. That and a desire to see two great actors on screen together.

guess it depends where he is in his life this season. - Amarie

I dunno where he will be, but my hunch is having fun now. He has the weight of the Time War lifted, which has already had a strong effect on him, and though he knows he lost Clara and that she was super important to him, he doesn't feel that loss as he has no memories of her to get over- so hopefully shouldn't be much moping about like 10 after Rose, Martha, Donna, and 11 after Amy and Rory. I might be utterly wrong but my gut feeling is that Moffats final series will be focused on fun and adventure. Hence more stand alone episodes and Nardole as a seeming companion, and from the little we saw of Bill she seems likely to be a source of a lot of amusement.
That's my instinct so far anyway on the news we have (official news that is -staying clear of unofficial spoilers).

he doesn't need is a twentysomething human female. its boring.- Figg

Was good enough for RTD he did it every single time- didn't have a proper male companion once- yeah there were odd episodes where Jack or Wilfrid or Mickey would tag along but they were never proper companions in the traditional sense.
Moffat gave us the wonderful Rory and it looks like if Nardole is not a regular companion this series then he is a recurring one, so we will have another male companion it seems.

I am not really invested in 12- Figg

Its interesting that your favourite NuWho Doctor is the one least like the traditional Doctor template, whilst 12, who more than any other NuWHo Doctor embodies his predecessors, you dislike.
Although I have to admit some puzzlement to not liking 12 coming from anywhere frankly, as for me I can't see where he has put so much as a facial tick wrong in his performance, he simply is the Doctor for me, with every fibre of his being. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum