All New Who - Page 30 Empty Re: All New Who

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

pale

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Is it almost time for new Doctor Who yet?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:48 pm

they still give me the willies- Azriel

{{Me too! Even the sound of the Dalek heartbeat gives me the willies,

gives my willie the willies thats how bad it is! Mad }}

Is it almost time for new Doctor Who yet?-Forest

{{I wish! Next episode will be xmas day, after that Easter weekend looks the likely start point for the next series}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 pm

New Interview with Christopher Eccleston

https://soundcloud.com/774-abc-melbourne/christopher-eccleston-on-drive-with-raf-epstein

Interviewer: "Are you the man we can thank for the rebirth of Doctor Who? You were well received, you're maybe not the fan favourite the way someone like David Tennant is, but if you'd stuffed that up, there would be no David Tennant, there would be no Matt Smith".

Eccleston: "I think the man you have to thank is Russell T Davies. He wrote it. And I always feel that the showrunners and the writers are the people who deserve and own the kudos. But what I will say is the first series of any show is always very difficult to sell to the audience, and I'm very proud that through what was a really badly organised and certainly badly produced first series-"

Interviewer: "-which everyone's acknowledged, haven't they?"

Eccleston: "I don't know."

Interviewer: "I think they have."

Eccleston: "I hope they have. They certainly didn't acknowledge it at the time and I wished they would've done, because then things would've worked out very differently... but I'm very proud that I managed to find a way through the chaos that they imposed, and get us picked up, so-"

Interviewer: "And do you regret that you didn't have another season?"

Eccleston: "There's always regret when you play a role like that, because what you do is you - I watched it back and I thought, OK, next time don't do this, do that, you know, calibrate the performance. It was kind of tragic for me that I didn't play him for longer, because you know, he's a beautiful character and I have a great deal of professional pride [in it] and had I done a second season, there would've been a marked improvement in my performance. I was learning new skills in terms of playing light comedy, etc, etc. I was not known for light comedy, and again production did not allow for that. It's very important on the first series that you make a very informed and intelligent choice - even if it means breaking the budget - about getting the first director who is going to set the tone for the season, for the way the actors relate, and that did not happen. Disaster. But the show has survived. Thank God. And Capaldi, and Matt, and David - are just brilliant. And I know how brilliant they are, because I've been inside it."

Interviewer: "It's hard."

Eccleston: "It is difficult, because you're doing the same thing in each episode, and you've got to keep that fresh, and you've got to suggest alien and you've got to suggest human."

Nothing too surprising there as he has said similar before in interviews...I wonder if this means he will ever reconsider doing Big Finish Audios...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:16 pm

Well bugger, so much for new Doctor Who in the fall this year. Sad (in response to Pettymeister)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:20 pm

{{Yeah, the BBC decided, officially at least this is what they said, that the schedule was too jam packed, what with Olympics ect and they did not want to do what happened to last series - shift it about the schedule to accommodate live events- so instead they gave it a year off (not filming, they are doing that now) but from transmission except for the now traditional xmas day special.

Good year to go watch some classic Who you have never seen before- that way you get new episodes till xmas! cheers }}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:23 pm

{{{Malick- thats the most conciliatory Ive heard him. Still dont know exactly what happened backscenes on series 1 but it sounds pretty unpleasant.
But f he has watched back his run, and considered how he would perform differently had he more time- then BF is the perfect place for him to find out}}}}}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{Malick- thats the most conciliatory Ive heard him. Still dont know exactly what happened backscenes on series 1 but it sounds pretty unpleasant.
But f he has watched back his run, and considered how he would perform differently had he more time- then BF is the perfect place for him to find out}}}}}}

From what I can tell from the various rumours/leaks/possibly completely made up tabloid crap, S1 was massively over budget, and over schedule with a crew completely overwhelmed by the heavy workload they didn't expect, there were rumours that health and safety legislation was ignored on several occasions to get footage in the can on time, directors bullying junior crew members, numerous late in the day reshoots and rewrites and disagreements between Eccleston and the producers over the future direction of the Doctor's character arc.

No idea how true any of this is though.

Yeah BF could evolve his doctor in completely different and fresh ways, just compare TV Colin to Audio Colin or TV Movie McGann to NOTD McGann, I always liked the idea that 'Rose' was both one of Nine's first stories, and last (i.e the 'Did I mention it also travels in time?' line when he returns for Rose could have easily happened after decades away...)

All New Who - Page 30 0pNx6aG

The 9th Doctor's UNIT I.D badge does show him with longer hair:

All New Who - Page 30 2lzaxwj

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:47 pm

{{{I had heard similar rumours about the issues on series 1, just the interviewer in that said others had spoken about it, but dont think I have ever seen anything 'official' or sourced. Just second hand and rumour.

I agree with RTD that 9 has not just regened. He has none of the usual symptoms, no apparent memory loss, no confusing, no uncertainty over who he is. Its just not a post regen performance. Which isnt surprising when trying to start up a show again- it would be confusing to new viewers and require explaining and you really don't want your main character not having a settled personality for almost his entire first episode- that works once your audience is onboard with what regeneration is. But it would not have worked I don't think in Rose. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{I had heard similar rumours about the issues on series 1, just the interviewer in that said others had spoken about it, but dont think I have ever seen anything 'official' or sourced. Just second hand and rumour.

I agree with RTD that 9 has not just regened. He has none of the usual symptoms, no apparent memory loss, no confusing, no uncertainty over who he is. Its just not a post regen performance. Which isnt surprising when trying to start up a show again- it would be confusing to new viewers and require explaining and you really don't want your main character not having a settled personality for almost his entire first episode- that works once your audience is onboard with what regeneration is. But it would not have worked I don't think in Rose. }}}

Yeah starting off S1 with McGann being shot in the opening credits by a Auton probably wouldn't have been a good decision...

It would be interesting if BF did ever persuade him to reprise the role, they could take the UNIT Badge thing and RTD's opinion and run with it. i.e they could write it so his adventures with 'Rose' were actually some of his final stories, this would give Eccleston the chance to play a very different 9th Doctor...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Yeah starting off S1 with McGann being shot in the opening credits by a Auton probably wouldn't have been a good decision...- Malick

{{One of the good things about the TV Movie is that it gave a rough outline of what to do and what not to do, RTD got most of that right, except the romance element which he decided to expand on rather than ditch like he should have Mad

Those hoping for a surprise Captain Jack xmas appearance may be disappointed, officially the xmas companion has been announced as
Spoiler:

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:01 pm

The romance thing was ok as a 'what if...' once off. But it (and Rose!)should have been stopped after the beach thing, not dragged out and kept going with Martha's story line.

Then Moff had to reinvent it for his Doctors. New ideaz plz thank u.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Then Moff had to reinvent it for his Doctors. New ideaz plz thank u.- Amarie

{{I don't agree with that- 11's reaction to Amy is completely different, and Amy is never in love with the Doctor.
Clara falls for 11 but whilst 11 doesn't do anything to stop it and even seems to enjoy being worshiped a bit and can be flirty (he does have an ego plus a young body, plus he knows he is on his last life) he doesn't reciprocate it and 12 even blames himself for allowing it to go that far:

DOCTOR: I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that. Clara, I'm not your boyfriend.
CLARA: I never thought you were.
DOCTOR: I never said it was your mistake.

I think Moffat handles the matter entirely different from RTD and its never a central theme or a main story line and there is no companion/Doctor love story line. }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:00 pm

{{latest from Garostudios}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: and 12 even blames himself for allowing it to go that far:

DOCTOR: I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that. Clara, I'm not your boyfriend.
DOCTOR: I never said it was your mistake. }}}

Just speaking as a casual viewer, this kind of dialog is one of the things I like least about Moffat's writing. It seems to be not so much a part of the story at hand as a side comment to the fan community. Like the Sherlock wedding speech side stories that had nothing to do with the plot and everything to do with pandering to the fan community's  speculations about the character's private lives. In both cases, I think he'd have been far better off to leave the relationship questions unanswered and let the viewers use their own imaginations.

Last edited by David H on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:06 pm

{{Whilst I wont say Moffat does not sometimes do that- he does- I don't think this is actually one of those occasions- it has precedent in early episodes and the relationship between Clara and 11- she confesses to running off with the Doctor because she 'fancies' him in the truth field at Trenzalore, and the matter of identity and why 11 looked and acted as he did is very much part of the themes of Deep Breath and in particular the stuff between Clara and Madam Vastra-

VASTRA: Not outwardly. But I'm accustomed to seeing through a veil. How have I amused you?
CLARA: You said renewed. He doesn't. He doesn't look renewed. He looks older.
VASTRA: You thought he was young?
CLARA: He looked young.
VASTRA: He looked like your dashing young gentleman friend. Your lover, even.
CLARA: Shut up.
VASTRA: But he is the Doctor. He has walked this universe for centuries untold, he has seen stars fall to dust. You might as well flirt with a mountain range.
CLARA: I did not flirt with him.
VASTRA: He flirted with you.
CLARA: How?
VASTRA: He looked young. Who do you think that was for?
CLARA: Me?
VASTRA: Everyone. I wear a veil as he wore a face for the same reason.
CLARA: What reason?
VASTRA: The oldest reason there is for anything. To be accepted.

The particular scene I originally quoted- I am not your boyfriend' one comes at episode end is more a statement going forward that things are not going to be quite the same regards Doctor/companion dynamics as they maybe have been so far in NuWho (hell according to 12 one of the rules of the TARDIS is 'no hanky-panky'- perhaps not surprising as last time there was some action onboard the result was River. ) and it affirms that 12 no longer feels that need to be 'accepted' after his crimes in the Time War, knowing now he saved Gallifrey not destroyed it. It marks a new beginning for him after all the angst of 9-11, it also explains why he has a lot less time for idiots than usual and is a so much blunter than other NuWho Doctors.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:13 pm

All I'm saying is that it was a conscious writing choice just to have each character explicitly discuss the "boyfriend/girlfriend" subject at all, rather than leaving it ambiguous and let the viewers come to their own conclusions.  It's like the choices in Sherlock to have all those sometimes very clever "oh but we're definitely NOT gay" bits I half-remember. By writing sexual attraction into to dialog, even by denying it, there seems to be an intention to feature it.

What if the dialog had just gone:

DOCTOR: I've lived for over two thousand years, and not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes, and it's about time that I did something about that.

and stopped there, leaving the thought half-finished, leaving the actors to fill in the rest and leaving the viewers to imagine whatever they liked?

It's just this bit that feels heavy-handed to me, in a soap opera kind of way:
DOCTOR: Clara, I'm not your boyfriend.
DOCTOR: I never said it was your mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:12 pm

RTD's approach to the 'romance' thing was far more a natural progression of Rose and 10's relationship than the stomach churning sexual banter between River and Matt Smiths Doctor.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:56 am

Razz

Some things never change around here...

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Laughing that's true.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:17 pm

{{All I will day Figg is that there are actually only three or four such double-entendres between 11 and River, and none of them as blatant or going as far as the implied oral sex gag with a woman's face on a slab that RTD wrote!}}

{{For some odd reason I find it strangely enjoyable when Who imposes on real life in some unforeseen and bizarre way- exhibit A-}}

{{Nice fan vid}}

{{And finally BF news for Captain Jack fans- he is getting a set of adventures from different points in his life- all of them really well chosen premises I think, the collection is called The Lives of Captain Jack and the episodes are-

THE YEAR AFTER I DIED: Set in the year 200,101, on an Earth ravaged by the Daleks, we see Jack struggling to save humanity from its oldest enemy.
WEDNESDAYS FOR BEGINNERS: Jack and Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri) must unite to rescue the Powell Estate from a force whose name Jackie can never say.
ONE ENCHANTED EVENING: Captain Jack and Alonso Frame (Russell Tovey) have only just met. But why did the Doctor want them to be together?
MONTH 25: He’s the young star of the Time Agency, and his whole life is about to fall apart. But that’s not going to stop him winning.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 pm

{{ I do miss the Ponds and their beautiful love story which this vid captures rather well I thought Sad }}

{{How anyone can think that how Amy views Rory is at all similar to Rose and Mickey is beyond me. Mad }}

{{In a similar vein here's Clara's story-spoilers for series 9}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:40 pm

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-says-he-is-not-blocking-torchwoods-tv-revival-81044.htm

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 pm

The Ponds had a dysfunctional and unbalanced manipulative relationship founded on emotional blackmail. It was an appalling relationship.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:The Ponds had a dysfunctional and unbalanced manipulative relationship founded on emotional blackmail. It was an appalling relationship.

Edit: At least you can't say it's not realistic! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum