huffjuff
azriel
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
21 posters

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 17 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:12 am

Me and my old Nissan were preeetty intimate, in that regard.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 17 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:32 am

Damnit.

I went back to find my first-ever post just for fun. It took ages scrolling through the old Who threads before I remembered that I posted in the Introductions thread. And then when I got there my post was blank, and I remembered that I had gone through and blanked all my earlier posts after a fractious argument or something that I can barely remember any more.

Well shit. It had good Doctor Who gifs in it, to my recollection.

*sigh*, the folly of youth.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm

I just off the phone from my bank, they're being difficult in reimbursing an enormous fraudulent charge on my account.

And then I found that one of the cats had peed on my jacket...

Edit: and my work-pants, great.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:34 pm

both really annoying, but the Bank far more so. I've stayed with a credit card that has a high interest rate simply because they had my back on a couple of large fraudulent charges. I'd switch banks if I were you. After you get your money back of course.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Read my mind Halfy, I'm jumping ship either way. (But I want my 900 dollars back first!! Mad )

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 am

Sorry to hear about that Forest; hope the bank stops being difficult sooner rather than later.

The post-accident insurance process has been even slower than I expected but the holidays and inclement weather have resulted in a lot of office closures which I assume has been a contributing factor.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 am

As long as they provide you with a temporary for the full duration.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Brendan Cox. What the actual f***!

No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:40 pm

There's a nearly worldwide male sexual behavior pattern which alcohol brings to the surface. As he says (and many others have said the same) it's usually meant playfully but is often unwelcome. The MeToo movement, though sometimes crossing the line itself, is a bitch slap to the male sexual persona similar to the Trump bitch slap to the American political system. It's a wake-up call.

It's not entirely clear what Brendan Cox did and the context, but as I guy I can look back on things I've done and realize in retrospect I really shouldn't have, and cringe.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm

its just sad for young lads, who do they have to look up to if their role models are making 'mistakes' of that nature. Cox was a role model for the anti-racism and right wing extremism movement, and its just a bit disheartening. He is probably a nice person and we all make mistakes, but still, ffs.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Yeah, guys have clearly cornered the market on cringey drunken past mistakes. Rolling Eyes

What good does Cox quitting this charity work do?
Is it simply to allow the charity involved to cut itself off from Cox to appease the judgement of the general public? Is it to remove himself from the situations in which, and the people with whom, he has acted inappropriately? I understand the latter reason as being important, but I care far less about the former.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

{{Times are changing, but not sure what counts as what these days to be honest. As a male care worker working in a largely female environment there was a time in my youth I couldn't bend down to pick something up without getting my arse slapped off some older female co-worker or some sort of comment. I never once thought of myself as being sexually harassed, it was banter, a laugh a tension breaker in a tough job. No big deal. To call it sexual assault seems to me offense to anyone who has had to endure a genuine sexual assault.
I mean when the Daily Mail ran their list of MP's who had acted inappropriately in the work place with coworkers they listed a lib-dem MP, who had got in a relationship with his secretary, they were both single at the time. The Mail noted, in a footnote, that their current status was happily married with two children.
Thats not acting inappropriately in the workplace- that's called falling in love with someone you met through work and wanting to spend the rest of your life with them and raise a family!
And how many people met their partner in the workplace? I bet its a lot. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 pm

It's all getting too tangled up.  Aside from the true asshats who use sexual situations as part of their power play, the rest of men just needed to wake up and realize some things just may not be welcome.  A couple of good men near retirement losing their jobs over it may be worthwhile for the wake-up call, but scads of good men losing their jobs for occasional drunken lack of judgement is going too far.

At this point it should be "Okay guys, you got the picture?  So long as there was no coercion or a continuing pattern of misjudgement, we'll forget the past if you can clean your act up for the future."

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Times are changing, but not sure what counts as what these days to be honest. As a male care worker working in a largely female environment there was a time in my youth I couldn't bend down to pick something up without getting my arse slapped off some older female co-worker or some sort of comment. I never once thought of myself as being sexually harassed, it was banter, a laugh a tension breaker in a tough job. No big deal. To call it sexual assault seems to me offense to anyone who has had to endure a genuine sexual assault.
I mean when the Daily Mail ran their list of MP's who had acted inappropriately in the work place with coworkers they listed a lib-dem MP, who had got in a relationship with his secretary, they were both single at the time. The Mail noted, in a footnote, that their current status was happily married with two children.
Thats not acting inappropriately in the workplace- that's called falling in love with someone you met through work and wanting to spend the rest of your life with them and raise a family!
And how many people met their partner in the workplace? I bet its a lot. }}

I have heard that argument, 'it was just banter, a bit of fun' and if you didn't feel harassed its probably because you weren't being harassed. That comes under the title of drunken office party shenanigans and fumbling and flirting between consenting adults, humans will always get pissed and do daft things, I don't think this current tsunami of abuse scandals has got anything to do with what you are talking about. We are not talking about a moral crusade against flirting, fancying colleagues or making tits of ourselves, otherwise humanity would cease to reproduce.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:59 pm

It kinda does have something to do with the current tsunami because in many cases it was men who thought they were just doing shenanigans, but they were unwelcome. I'm afraid we may reach a point where nobody knows how to create an atmosphere where shenanigans are welcome, or will feel comfortable recognizing such an atmosphere.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm

That comes under the title of drunken office party shenanigans- Figg

{{ I'm not talking about some office party, I am talking at my place of work, whilst working. And never mind the coworkers the female older residents are even worse, you don't even have to be bending down just walking past to get an arse nip or pat. And its certainly banter and humour for them going on the cackling that tends to follow!
I just cannot see that sort of activity as in the same bracket as sexual assault, which I imagine comes with a lot more intimidation and fear.
Being slapped on the arse inappropriately at work by a fellow co-worker has never been something I didn't feel I could easily shrug off and go on with my day after.
Do I actually think its ok to slap someones arse out of the blue, personally no, but do I think its appropriate for someone to make a clumsy pass at someone at work they fancy? Yes, even if it is clumsy. }}}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 pm

To clarify, it's Charlie Rose and Al Franken who lost jobs or resigned due to shenanigans that were not coercive, not abuse of power, just really poor judgement.  Asiz Ansari has been publicly humiliated for being pushy and not recognizing signals, when his date admitted she never actually said 'no'.  And I'm sure many other stories are similar.  

I'm okay with the likes of Charlie Rose and Al Franken taking the fall as poster boys for what not to do because they were near or past retirement age, and were considered respectable enough that men would wake up and realize anyone could be doing this; not just powerful assholes, and we could see ourselves in their shoes.

Matt Damon tried to point out the difference between assholes and those who did something stupid, and got jumped on -  making the point that doing something stupid isn't acceptable either.  And yes, it should stop; but is doing a stupid thing enough to get you fired and have a career destroyed?  

I think men will now do better in the future, but having been fairly warned about their past deserve a chance to straighten up and not be punished except for real sexual crimes in their past, not just past stupidity.  Otherwise too much is at risk.  Men are just stupid.  Learning though.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That comes under the title of drunken office party shenanigans- Figg

{{ I'm not talking about some office party, I am talking at my place of work, whilst working. And never mind the coworkers the female older residents are even worse, you don't even have to be bending down just walking past to get an arse nip or pat. And its certainly banter and humour for them going on the cackling that tends to follow!
I just cannot see that sort of activity as in the same bracket as sexual assault, which I imagine comes with a lot more intimidation and fear.
Being slapped on the arse inappropriately at work by a fellow co-worker has never been something I didn't feel I could easily shrug off and go on with my day after.
Do I actually think its ok to slap someones arse out of the blue, personally no, but do I think its appropriate for someone to make a clumsy pass at someone at work they fancy? Yes, even if it is clumsy. }}}}

you seem to be talking about old women, from a different generation, I bet the young women don't pat your bum, because they know its disrespectful, the older ladies may be thinking they can be a bit naughty without causing offence. But then old women are rarely sexual predators are they.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 pm

{{Older yes- when I was in my twenties that would range from 30 to retirement age. And not like it was uncommon, sexual remarks suggestive comments and arse slapping were perfectly normal from those women.

And most of the men being pilloried in the press for 'inappropriate behaviour' (not talking sexual assault here just clumsy moves) are also from that 'older generation' doesn't seem to cut them any slack.}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Older yes- when I was in my twenties that would range from 30 to retirement age. And not like it was uncommon, sexual remarks suggestive comments and arse slapping were perfectly normal from those women.

And most of the men being pilloried in the press for 'inappropriate behaviour' (not talking sexual assault here just clumsy moves) are also from that 'older generation' doesn't seem to cut them any slack.}}

that depends, people used to think Benny Hill humour was acceptable, the older generation of men in positions of power grew up thinking that the dollybird secretary could be touched and fondled, all that stuff is not acceptable these days. Also men have in general been in the positions of power, so its hardly comparable to a few old ladies having a few giggles.
that reminds me of that harry Enfield sketch 'ooooh young man!' Very Happy were they like this?

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 pm

{{I'm not talking about 'a few old ladies' I am not talking about lots of average aged ladies, in the workplace, with fellow co-workers- the sort of age where were it done by a man there would be howls of derision, public shaming, condemnation and the end of a career.
Just saying as someone who has been on the receiving end of such treatment in the workplace for many years- that seems a bit disproportionate to the crime to me  Shrugging
I would not wish for a single one of those women to have that dragged up now, shamed and named and fired for slapping my arse ten years ago- but that's what happening to many men right now. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 pm

its pointless discussing it further then.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 am

{{I just think there needs to be a difference made between behaviour that's deemed 'inappropriate' now and from a time when it wasn't even necessarily considered inappropriate- and actual predatory sexual behaviour.
To say the two are the same seems to me to belittle the seriousness of actual sexual assaults, as well the fact it seems to only work one way, for women.
How seriously do you think the police would take me if I went to them and said I wanted to complain about getting my arse slapped at work off female coworkers ten years ago? I somehow doubt I'd be taken seriously. Yet there are men, right now, losing careers over just that sort of thing on that sort of time scale (or longer).}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 am

how very dare women speak up, it was so much better when we kept quiet and knew our place.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next