huffjuff
azriel
Bluebottle
Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
21 posters

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 16 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by halfwise Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:12 pm

No pain at all. Of course, the same can be said of cocaine.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 16 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [5]

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:00 am

My fucking car got totaled three fucking weeks before it would've been fully paid off because some dipshit on the Baltimore Beltway rear-ended me while going 60-70 mph (that's my guesstimate anyway) during the early stages of rush hour while all the traffic around her, including me, was braking. Mad

The plus side is that I'm not hurt aside from a (probably) sprained shoulder and I'm not at fault so my insurance shouldn't go up, though I'll get to continue my dance through automated phone systems with them for a while. The car isn't officially declared totaled yet but I'm pretty sure it will be. I was unable to even drive it into the breakdown lane and the first tow truck driver who arrived on the scene couldn't either, so he literally pushed the car with his truck while I steered it into the breakdown lane. In addition both passenger-side doors wouldn't open, the driver's seat was stuck in the fully reclined position, and the rear bumper was barely dangling on. Somehow there were no broken windows, though the car of the woman who hit me had some broken glass.

She told me that the airbags deployed but she also told me that she had Geico insurance when she actually had State Farm so I'm not sure if I believe her. Fortunately I didn't have to deal with her directly once emergency services showed up. I was trying to push my car into the breakdown lane (and making my shoulder and arm hurt even more in the process) while she was already on the phone with 9-1-1. She requested an ambulance (though neither of us left in one), and we ended up getting three cop cars, two firetrucks, the ambulance, and two State Highway Administration tow trucks, though all of them except for one cop car left after a fairly short time and the cars were actually towed by a private company which has a contract with the Baltimore County police.

The thing I keep coming back to is three fucking weeks. Even less, actually. I've had this loan for three fucking years and 17 days before the final payment some asshole smashes into the car and (probably) totals it.

Sorry for the rant.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 am

Oh, you deserve to rant!

But unless I have this wrong the insurance should pay you the full replacement cost of the car, which means you can just lay it all down for your next car and the payments are done. If you have the cash, pay it in full - and walk out if they don't kiss your feet and let you do that. Sure you may be buying a 3-year-old used car for what insurance gives you, but the payments will be over and it will have been checked out by a mechanic with a 1-year guarantee.

So other than the surreal experience of the universe suddenly changing when you got hit - and the annoyance of having to go buy another car - you're not so bad off.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:11 am

Holy shit! Eldo bringing them mega-ton crabbit bombs!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:14 am

I'm not really sure how the process works myself. My dad said not to expect very much from insurance but I'm not sure if he's speaking from experience or not. One of my stepbrothers totaled his car several years ago but he was at fault for that so I'm sure the response was different.

My car was a 2005 Ford Focus that had 81,000 miles on it when I bought it, so not exactly the lap of luxury. A three-year-old used car would actually be a major step up, especially if it didn't vibrate when driving at highway speeds. Laughing But I got the thing really cheap and I was pretty attached to it. I have no idea if I'll get the sound system I had put in back or if that would be like pulling teeth. I kinda want to avoid talking to car-related companies as much as possible. Razz But my perspective might change after sleeping on it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:23 am

Also I'm not sure if her giving me incorrect insurance information was her being an idiot or a deliberate attempt at further screwing me over. She tried to hand me an envelope with stuff written on it very quickly after the crash while my car was still in the middle of the highway but I was on the phone with my dad seeing if he could come down and the tow truck guy was trying to talk to me as well. One of the cops took both our information and printed out a partial report for both of us which is where I saw the different insurance information.

halfwise wrote:the surreal experience of the universe suddenly changing when you got hit

It was a pretty fucking bizarre feeling for a while afterwards. It took me a second to realize what had happened. I'm still kind of rattled but yeah it sort of felt like this was divorced from normal reality and I was about to wake up from a bad dream or something. Actually though I avoided freaking out as much as I did ~5 years ago when I was rear-ended while stopped at a red light (while still on my provisional license and driving my mom's car) even though that was a much less serious collision (and the car wasn't totaled). It helped somewhat that the guy who hit me then was like the chillest dude ever, which was kinda weird but something I was grateful for.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 am

Eldorion wrote:I'm not really sure how the process works myself. My dad said not to expect very much from insurance but I'm not sure if he's speaking from experience or not. One of my stepbrothers totaled his car several years ago but he was at fault for that so I'm sure the response was different.

My car was a 2005 Ford Focus that had 81,000 miles on it when I bought it, so not exactly the lap of luxury. A three-year-old used car would actually be a major step up, especially if it didn't vibrate when driving at highway speeds. Laughing But I got the thing really cheap and I was pretty attached to it. I have no idea if I'll get the sound system I had put in back or if that would be like pulling teeth. I kinda want to avoid talking to car-related companies as much as possible. Razz But my perspective might change after sleeping on it.

It's good that you're okay, but a terrifying experience no doubt. Sounds like a distracted driver to me, probably on a cell phone or something. Her switching insurance companies mid conversation would make me think that she doesn't actually have insurance.

It's also good that you were so close to paying off the loan. Imagine this happening right after you buy the car, if you don't have gap coverage you're getting pretty much nothing from insurance then.

My 2002 Escape was totaled by a drunk driver in 2015 and I actually got over 5k for it from insurance. But maybe don't set your sights too high. And unfortunately I live in a bullshit "no fault" state, so my rate went up.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks bungo! One of the people I spoke with from my insurance company mentioned the same thing that maybe she didn't have insurance, but I passed on everything I got from the cop and once the full report is written in 5-10 business days apparently they can get a copy of that too. Shrugging

That's a good point regarding the loan and not something I'd thought much about. Smile I was really nervous about the thing (both the car and the loan) for the first several months. Laughing I've got my fingers crossed that the insurance stuff works out okay. Fortunately I don't do that much driving currently and in the short term I'll able to borrow other people's cars in the family when I need to go somewhere, which I'm grateful for.

I didn't even know that "no fault" states were a thing. I'd be paranoid as hell. No
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:54 am

If your rates go up after being hit that IS bullshit. Why do people put up with that? Send out some angry letters to your legislature at least.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 am

Yeah I was partially at fault when I was hit head on by a drunk driver while I was stopped at a stop sign. Pretty fucking stupid right? Laughing I can laugh about it now, but I remember getting out of the car, raising my hands in the air and screaming "WHAT THE FUCK!?!" at the drunk driver. Extremely Crabbit

I hope everything works out okay, Eldo. Just make sure if you get lost in the automated voice recognition crap from the insurance company, just say "human, human, human" over and over and they should get you to a real person. Razz

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:07 am

Driving in Amerigo seems hazardous.. to say the least. affraid Good to hear you are okay Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:26 am

Glad you're OK Eldo. I'd recommend taking it easy for a couple days even if you feel alright. I went through something similar in September. I was going 50 in the right lane of a 4 lane highway behind a truck in heavy traffic at 5:00 when a guy on the cross street (who didn't see me in the sun) tried to make a left turn right in front of me. No room for braking, so I put the steering wheel over to the right and sacrificed myself into the guardrail.

So here's my bit of advice. In a couple of days you'll probably be getting a call from the woman's insurance company (assuming she's got one). They would normally pay for your medical checkup and expenses, and for a rental vehicle for a week two while you're getting a new vehicle. I told them I wouldn't be making either of those claims if they could give me a "fair and honorable" settlement on my old '94 beater truck. That's a good deal for them because medical can potentially be very expensive, even for minor injuries. It ended up working out very well for me... Wink

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:32 am

If you do feel you are getting screwed over by insurance, a lawyer will suddenly seem cheap for what they can get you. They do exist for a purpose. But hopefully you'll be quite content with what you get because your insurance company has lawyers, and they use them to get what they want from the other insurance company.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:22 pm

sorry to hear that Eldo, its a horrible experience, its a bad shock to the system, its probably worse days later when the after effects of the trauma kick in, like a stiff body and muscles because you tense up badly in accidents like that, but that's just your bodies way of coping and its probably good to have family and friends around for comfort. do comfort stuff, things that make you feel safe and cozy, try not to relive the experience but its probably in your thoughts 24/7 at the moment, try reading a good book or film take your mind off it. I am sure in a few weeks it will all be sorted out and forgotten.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:03 pm

After my first accident (completely my fault as a teenager) I would tell people in stunned tones how I was dashing across the street when a lane of traffic stopped for me and I thought it was both lanes, then everything suddenly was different and there were dust motes floating through the air, and a guy ran out in front, took one look through the windshield and burst into tears....and usually I got a compassionate reaction from the listeners.

But when I told this to a friend, at the image of this guy looking at me and bursting into tears he just started laughing, and the more I added the more he laughed. I later realized it was the best thing for me - snapped me right out of my funk, let me realize life goes one regardless of whether you take it so dadgum seriously or not, so may as well not let things get to you.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:18 pm

I will never forget the look on the face of the driver who nearly ran me over when I was 3. its etched on my memory, poor man he looked horrified. No
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:23 pm

The guy in the Kia a nearly T-boned at 50mph with my farm truck was probably more shook up emotionally than I was. He circled back across traffic to help me get out of the wreck, then he took full blame when the State Patrolman showed up, and ended up driving me halfway home where I could get a ride. He said he owed me his life. pale

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Most people are honest and good.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks again for the advice guys. I'll keep in mind what you said Dave when waiting for/answering calls from various sources. I'm feeling kinda achey all over which I imagine is probably for the reasons Mrs Figg mentioned (my dad said something similar too). I was already planning on taking it easy this weekend but I'll definitely be doing that now.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Heard back from the body shop today and my car was, unsurprisingly, declared a total loss. Repair costs would've been more than I paid for the thing in the first place (secondhand, but still). Dunno how much I'll actually get from my insurance though. Shrugging

Good night, sweet prince...

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 16 Car-fi10
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm glad your ok but, I understand your misery. I don't drive but my ex did & I got attached to several old crocks that we had. Seeing them go to a breakers yard was like sending a friend to his execution. Might be fun looking for another 'new' car tho ? Cars are a relationship also. They all feel different, they all drive different, they have their own quirks & habits.

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 16 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Things that are making you crabbit! [5] - Page 16 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 pm

This pisses me right off !! How many times do stories like this come to light Mad

http://mentalfloss.com/article/70099/10-aquatic-facts-about-creature-black-lagoon

I watched this film today, it was one of several films my son bought for me. Check out No.5 about the woman who designed the creature ! Riles me right up !

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 pm

azriel wrote:I'm glad your ok but, I understand your misery. I don't drive but my ex did & I got attached to several old crocks that we had. Seeing them go to a breakers yard was like sending a friend to his execution. Might be fun looking for another 'new' car tho ? Cars are a relationship also. They all feel different, they all drive different, they have their own quirks & habits.

Thanks, it's nice to be able to vent and for people to understand. ^_^ Part of me feels like I don't want to have anything to do with cars, but that's not sustainable given where I live and I already miss the independence of not having to ask to borrow a car to go somewhere, even though I don't go out all that much and can usually get access if I need a ride. You're totally right about them feeling and driving different. Hopefully I can find something decent and not too expensive. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Its one of the best things you can do for yourself, learning to drive. Its an extension of yourself. I wont state the obvious, but, its also a safe haven, a safety net when all else fails. How easy is it to hide away in a car, heater on, in a quiet corner somewhere to just think, escape, get angry, work stuff out, the list is endless. The car becomes your buddy Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 pm

That's a really good way of putting it, az. Now I'm getting kinda nostalgic thinking about times when I've done stuff like that, heh.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next