Doctor Who [12] - Page 5 Empty Re: Doctor Who [12]

Post by azriel Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Razz Laughing

Doctor Who [12] - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [12] - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Doctor Who ratings are disastrously bad.  Shocked

The ratings for Doctor Who in the UK are terrible. Forbes Magazine, oct 17.

Even the BBC’s usual spin – that low overnight figures are boosted by people catching up during the week after transmission, thus increasing the final “consolidated” figure – won’t wash for the current series.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Not so.
The overnights are down- but overnights are down right across TV- xfactor recorded its first ever sub6 million last week.
But the consolidated ratings do not include anyone who watched on iplayer via pc- like me for example. Thats on average about 2 million that are not included in the official figures. Nor are downloads via other streaming service like netflix (where its one of the top downloaded shows) and its also the top selling show for BBC Worldwide, broadcasting to more territories than any other BBc show and returning more revenue to the BBc than any other show. And thats before you include all the licensing and merchandising.

The Mail ran a similar poorly researched story this week based on the fall in overnights. Which are largely irrelevant in the modern tv landscape.
When everything is added in there has been a fall off of about 1/2 million viewers on last year. A drop of less than most other long running dramas (see Downton for example which has lost about half its viewers from its peak).

The tv landscape has drastically, and still is, changing, as is how folk watch their tv and where and by what means. Making it all much harder to consolidate a final figure or even track accurately. Thats all the more complicated because Who has always been ahead of the curve for the BBC in migrating viewers to other means (if you look back over the series overnight the fall off bar a few exceptions like the 50th is apparent, and almost exactly equal to the increase in folk watching on iplayer or by other means).
Whilst a drop of half million is concerning its nothing like a disaster- Who makes the top 10 programs (if you take all the the multiple showings of soaps out it makes the top 5 usually) on a weekly basis.
And in comparison to its contemporary programs and their viewing figures its doing rather well and holding its own.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagual Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 pm

You for got to add at the end "All Praise The Moff." at the end.

I'm sure I heard you mumble - you do that co thats what old grumpy hobbity things do.

"All Praise The Moff.
Hallowed Be His Name.
Let those That Cast Dispersions Upon Him,
Be Burnt At The Stake.
Let Those Who Cast Doubt Upon Him,
Be Ripped Asunder With Holy Statistics.
Let Those That Mock His Name,
Have Their Armpits Be Infested With The Fleas Of A Thousand Camels.

All Praise The Moff"
Nagual
Nagual
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:22 pm

You can get a cream for most of that Thumbs Up

Doctor Who [12] - Page 5 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Doctor Who [12] - Page 5 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Nagual wrote:You for got to add at the end "All Praise The Moff." at the end.

I'm sure I heard you mumble - you do that co thats what old grumpy hobbity things do.

"All Praise The Moff.
Hallowed Be His Name.
Let those That Cast Dispersions Upon Him,
Be Burnt At The Stake.
Let Those Who Cast Doubt Upon Him,
Be Ripped Asunder With Holy Statistics.
Let Those That Mock His Name,
Have Their Armpits Be Infested With The Fleas Of A Thousand Camels.

All Praise The Moff"

lol! *chortle giggles*
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:47 pm

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/doctor-who-star-peter-capaldi-6792591

PETER CAPALDI had to move house after Doctor Who fans kept materialising outside.

Teenagers discovered that the star of the BBC1 sci-fi hit lived near their school and started knocking on his door regularly.

The Glasgow dad of one said he had no choice but to leave for the sake of his
family’s privacy.

He has now sold his home in north London and moved to a suburb several miles away.

Peter, 57, said: “I was quite well known for playing Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It.

“But I wasn’t famous to the degree playing the Doctor brings.

“You walk down the street and people look and shout. I wasn’t prepared for that.

“I always wanted to be an actor but not a famous one. Now I can’t go a day without people coming up.

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s very nice – but so different to before.”

Peter, married to TV producer Elaine Collins from Motherwell , admitted looking towards the Tardis exit door after three years and 26 episodes.

He said: “Someone I won’t name told me the other day, ‘This could be your final year’.

“That’s terrifying. But I’m doing next year – then I don’t know.”

The star also revealed he is hobbling about with a walking stick after a knee operation.

Peter joked: “I’m more Crock-tor Who at the moment.”

...Sounds to me like Moffat is stepping down next series (perhaps after a spilt 2016-17 series?) and they are currently in talks with a new showrunner, Capaldi is apparently signed for 3 full series with the option of a fourth (as with Smith and Tennant-both were originally signed for 3 series, but turned down a fourth), but whether he will be kept on in a different matter...Capaldi has previously stated he feels like he's only scratched the surface of the character of the Doctor and wants to stay as long as possible...but it's hard to deny his more abrasive, mysterious Doctor (or at least the writing) has been rather more divisive with audiences than his immediate predecessors (the sharp fall in viewers may be related to this-I tuned out completely in series 6 and 7 because I wasn't fond of Smith's Doctor's storylines, no fault of hid acting) if they are going to bring in a New Showrunner after 7(?) years of Moffat being in charge, they may prefer a fresh start with a new leading man.

If it were up to me I'd keep him around for at least one more series (though preferably as long as possible) with the New Showrunner to ease the transition to a new team...and frankly if they cast another 30 year old with stupid hair I may tune out entirely...

The Official Synopsis for episode 11:

Spoiler:

I wonder if
Spoiler:

This seems to confirm a rumour/leak about the finale:

Massive Rumoured Spoilers:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:41 pm

[quote="malickfan"]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/doctor-who-star-peter-capaldi-6792591

...Sounds to me like Moffat is stepping down next series (perhaps after a spilt 2016-17 series?) and they are currently in talks with a new showrunner, Capaldi is apparently signed for 3 full series with the option of a fourth (as with Smith and Tennant-both were originally signed for 3 series, but turned down a fourth), but whether he will be kept on in a different matter...Capaldi has previously stated he feels like he's only scratched the surface of the character of the Doctor and wants to stay as long as possible...but it's hard to deny his more abrasive, mysterious Doctor (or at least the writing) has been rather more divisive with audiences than his immediate predecessors (the sharp fall in viewers may be related to this-I tuned out completely in series 6 and 7 because I wasn't fond of Smith's Doctor's storylines, no fault of hid acting) if they are going to bring in a New Showrunner after 7(?) years of Moffat being in charge, they may prefer a fresh start with a new leading man.

If it were up to me I'd keep him around for at least one more series (though preferably as long as possible) with the New Showrunner to ease the transition to a new team...and frankly if they cast another 30 year old with stupid hair I may tune out entirely...

The Official Synopsis for episode 11:

Spoiler:

I wonder if
Spoiler:

This seems to confirm a rumour/leak about the finale:

Massive Rumoured Spoilers:

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Spoiler:
[/quote]
[/quote]

Spoiler:

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Spoiler:
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Nagual- I honestly dont think the rating slip has anything to so with Moffat or Capaldi as the Doctor- critically and among fans this series is generally regarded as one of the best ever of NuWho. But I think a simialr drop off would be happening regardless of showrunner or Doctor.

However ratings are sliding right across Tv and particular long running drama.
This can easily be seen by just ignoring the viewing figures all together and looking at Who's weekly chart position- its in the same bracket it has always been- the fact it hasn't lost chart position against its opposition shows that whilst its numbers are lower- so are everyone elses. It is also still the no1 top rated BBC drama on the day.

Malkick- I am not sure where you get the bit about a biog drop in numbers- its between half a million and a million on previous series on the average so far- but at this stage, and until we get the yearly figures, its impossible to say with any certainty where those viewers have gone- they may have deserted the show, but its equally likely they are just now watching by means other than those picked up in the overnights or consolidated figures.

As an anecdotal example myself, I think Nagual, and a couple of my other Who watching mates all watch regularly, if not weekly- but none of us do so in a way recorded by the BBC- so we dont count as viewers despite watching. I very much doubt we are alone in that (according to Moffat the BBC's own unpublished internal figures for such folk is about 2 million- add that to the average episode consolidated- say last weeks episode which finished at 5.65 million and you have 7.65 million- which means the show on those figures is slightly MORE not less popular.

But frankly the way in which the viewer figures are calculated and the especially the numbers they release to the press are more like educated guesses. Its a bit of a mess because of all the different platforms and means by which folk can watch (figures from streaming services are not even available for example until the end of each year).

Regards next year being a split series- not according to Moffat or Capladi- both of whom have said 12 episodes and a xmas special- same as usual. Moffat even said he is pushing the BBC to let them increase the episode count next year not reduce it.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:57 pm

Just nosing the chart for last week.

Its mainly full of reality tv and soap operas- if you rate Who on like for like- ie against only drama, its the second most watched drama of the week in the UK, only beaten by Downton Abbey. (Its also annoying that soaps get multiple entries despite each episode retaining the same viewers more or less- for example positions 3-7 are all Coronation Street positions 13-20 are EastEnders and Emmerdale- they should just have 1 representative episode on the chart made up of an average score for the weeks episodes)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Even if you never plan on ever watching an episode of Doctor Who, and despite this being dodgy quality (and likely to disappear) do give this 8 and a half minutes of your time, you don't need the context, you just need the words and the Doctor saying them-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 pm

Better version in terms of audio- no images though and not the full thing (leaves out the stuff about Time War) and concentrates on the politics, also subtitled.
As one reviewer noted its incredible that the BBC are putting this out on a Saturday evening as fare for the family when the competition is xfactor and its ilk. Makes you proud to be a Whovian!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:51 pm

At the risk of being a party pooper silent I found that speech bombastic and headache-making, and when I thought of the actual words, they were clichés all wrapped up in emotive music. I didn't like the histrionic vein popping. If you want a truly masterful futility of two races at war dialogue, you have to go here...no shouting or tub thumping needed.

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Yup you are just being a party pooper cause you hat eMoffat no matter what- the scene in Blade Runner is also excellent, but its not Who or the Doctor. Or aimed at family viewing.

hell even Lipmannette spend most of her episode review raving about how good that scene is- in fact I have yet to read a review, or watch a review video where it isn't the main thing singled out for praise. And a lot of tears being shed in reaction vids to at that point, got to admit I was welling up myself.

And as far as Who goes I am struggling to think of a speech comparable- certainly nothing in RTD era where its all just grandstanding 'I am the Doctor, Im a god and I save everyone' nonsense, little in Moffat era otherwise to compare save maybe the Rings of Akenanten speech- maybe 4th's speech about indomitable humans or 7's 'rice pudding' speech at Davros- but neither come close to this really in either length or performance.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Straight to the "you hate Moffat" wailing and then straight to "people I choose to quote loved it!!" Rolling Eyes

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Actually the person I am quoting is a Figg fav reviewer who tends to hate Moffat almost as much as Figg does. Which was rather the point- even well known Moffat haters are praising this episode and that scene in particular.  But if all you wish to do Amarie is occasionally pop onto this threads to stir up as much trouble with your big stick as possible then waltz off to giggle at the result or whatever purpose it is you have, then at least do some research first please. Its won across the board praise from tv critics and fans alike- I have found one negative review in all my searching through reviews. I have yet to see a negative youtube review or reaction- and thats rare.

I honestly dont know how or on what basis criticisms against it could be based. Its clearly a lovely bit of writing, its perfectly Who, it nails the underlying beliefs of the show and the character, its the perfect denouement to the previous two episodes bringing all its themes, narrative and characters together in that one moment and its a powerhouse performance to deliver it. Its just a great bit of TV.
About the only reason to dislike that scene is blind Moffat hate, especially when comparing it across Who's own history where it stands proudly amongst the best Doctor speeches ever delivered.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:54 pm

It's not Moffat hate, it's opinion. An opinion you don't like.

Sadly what I was writing was gobbled up by computer gnomes. But from what I recall that speech was alright.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:05 pm

It's not Moffat hate, it's opinion. An opinion you don't like.- Amarie

You offered no opinion- you did exactly what you have been doing of late on this thread- popping on occasionally to make some sort of attack on me before leaving. If you were discussing the show that would be different but you dont, you just go straight for the digs every time and nothing else.

As for calling Figg a Moffat hater- she is by the usual definition of it, and maybe then some- after all she is the only person I know who personally blames Moffat for the writing in episodes he doesn't write. Which indicates to me that it doesn't matter who writes an episode, for so long as Moffat's name is attached to the show that in itself is enough to justify almost immediate dislike- that seems like classic Moffat hate to me. Shrugging

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:18 pm

I haven't seen any episodes this season, as I have mentioned. But I will take some self criticism. I'm not feeling much Who-entusiasm, so what does come out is ghostly hiccups of discussion past. And as BBC has blocked VPN - or what the heck Finrod was saying - I don't know when we'll get to watch anything. But it would be nice with some good old "someone is wrong on the internet" Who fights again.

Maybe I should quality check some episodes now while Finrod is in Japan. If they are to be found anywhere. That would be a kind gesture, wouldn't it? So Finrod wouldn't waste time on something boring.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I will see if I can find any safe links for you.

And I was a little brusk myself earlier- just in from work, and I shouldn't bring stuff home with me but some days are harder than others in my game. I really should on such occasion defer from posting until at least the fourth buckie drunken

I really hope you enjoy this series, its not faultless but its ambitious as hell, in structure, content, style changes and performances. But more so because I was reflecting on the purpose of this thread at its inception- a simple desire born in childhood to share this marvellous, wondrous, imaginative at times enchanting at others terrifying, and above all always quirky, little show with as many folk as possible in the hope of spreading a little joy in the spirit of the show itself.
What have we become?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:40 pm

First  link on the list worked for me (ad blocks ect recommended as usual)-

http://watchseries.lt/serie/doctor_who

Direct link (seems to work)

http://www.vodu.ch/file/d5b8b07b4d5ebf92290a1a56c9773b94/?play_hash=1b5ea94a95f9c0d67752c134fbf4c837&confirm=Continue+to+Play+Movie#

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Rolling Eyes  not even allowed an opinion without being attacked as a hater. How tedious.

mind you, anyone with a fair and balanced middle ground view like Lippmannette, is classed as a hater to Petty. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 33  Next