Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 22 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by chris63 Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:11 am

I can't believe that 7 months ago they launch a rocket and say it will land on Mars on such a date and at this time and they get it right to the second. Unbelievable! Only traveled 207.34km. You would have thought it would of lost a few minutes here and there if it ran into a head wind or the lights had turned red or something?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 22 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:01 am

I think if they don't tune everything to the preset schedule they have to massively recalculate everything, which doesn't work so well with a 9 minute transmission delay. So in the acceleration and deceleration burns they carefully tweak things until it fits. Not total precision from the moment of liftoff.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{ I find it hard to get excited now I know that they delibretely dont go where the interesting stuff might be for fear of contamination- almost every Mars misison therefore is almost guaranteed to find nothing much more than same old rocks weve seen every other time. Im just not much more impressed by looking at a rock thats from 2 million miles away than I am going for a walk and picking up a rock thats 2 million years old. In fact Im more impressed by something exisiting for that long than I am impressed by something just being very far away.
Now if NASA were to go to a location where there was a high probability of life having existed, and where it might still in microbes or something- thats interesting. This just seems like another 'well theres a one in a million chance we might find signs of life as we're deliberetly looking in the wrong place.' }}

I thought the whole point of this one was to find signs of life... that is why they have chosen the ancient lake bed and river delta system where certain elements have been mapped that equates to where life is commonly found here.

Am I missing something?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Under covid agent

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:18 am

Great footage of the landing.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:51 pm

I remember Az had posted a shot of what it would look like if the moon were the size of saturn (can't find it now), and I thought it looked small.  The shot here looks better to me, but I realized looking out my window that the moon does look awfully small when away from the horizon, and that previous shot had saturn away from the horizon.  So maybe so.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/06/what-the-night-sky-would-look-like-if-the-other-planets-were-as-close-as-the-moon/277247/

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22