Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 24 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:33 am

{{ Stunning Lance, great work. Amazing that we can see all that from down here. Even more amazing when you see it captured as well as this. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 24 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Why are 25 images better than one long image? Is it because tracking goes off over such a long period? (may have answered my own question)

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:23 pm

The tracking is not a problem when you have the correct set up.

Best to think about it from the end goal. To get all of that detail, you have to heavily process the image because there is just so little light coming from 2.5 million light years away in addition to the local stars which are much brighter objects.

So, when you are doing that kind of enhancement, you are also dealing with lots of problems, like atmospheric conditions changing, the sensor temperature of the camera changing, the temperature of your optics (I.e. lens or telescope) which can impact down to a single pixel.

So, the additional pictures plus a lot of calibration pictures are there to remove the noise caused by all of that stuff.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Just editing because I missed the major part of your answer: changes in temperature of the camera. So shorter shots are more internally coherent. Do you have special software to combine the shots?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Shorter shots will have plenty of noise in them but yes, inherently they would have less. There are a lot of things that introduce noise from the second the light leaves its source all the way to being registered by the camera sensor.

A lot of cameras dedicates to this kind of thing are cooled to very low temperatures (-40c) to help with this.

And yes, I use a special piece of software for stacking aimed at astrophotography called Deep Sky Stacker. I then use Photoshop for the processing.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Almost there
I'm actually quite nervous. This probably won't happen again in my lifetime. Hope all goes well.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 pm

This will be out at L2 I believe; so no chance to do a Hubble style repair if they mess it up.

"What do astronomers eat for breakfast on the day that their $10 billion telescope launches into space? Their fingernails."

- the New York Times

https://webb.nasa.gov/content/about/orbit.html

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:39 am

Today's the day. Fingers crossed.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:21 am

Yep, fingers crossed. Hubble has given us so many great images and insight in to the universe... this will give so much more if it can make it to is destination!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:24 am

{{ Lance don't suppose you managed to get a pic of the comet thats about just now, apparently can be seen near Venus just before dawn. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:32 am

I haven't, seen lots of pics from people I follow on Twitter though. I think it might have lit up the last couple of days.

I am not a morning person... not actually seen Venus since earlier this year. Needs to be visible in the evening.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:53 am

So far so good.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:57 am

The hard part's over. Locking into L2 won't be difficult; if a few pixels of the mirror are off that will be easy to correct.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:02 pm

Long cooling down period now... hopefully nothing unexpected happens that means it can't function properly. Not the first time this process was required though so shouldn't be a problem.

I am looking forward to seeing the first pictures we get from this. The hubble deep field photos are some of the most amazing things I think I have ever seen! And this is its big brother (or niece/nephew?).
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm

I think it's all IR? No visible images. But that's alright, plenty to see in the IR.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:50 pm

The camera may be imaging in IR but that can easily enough be turned in to images we can see.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:44 pm

The goal is to see distant galaxies red shifted into the IR, but can be adjusted to visible so it will look like what we'd see if they weren't zooming away from us.  Nearby galaxies will have to be processed completely in the IR, which is still worth looking at even if it will be different from what we'd see with our own eyes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 am

As I understand, the instruments on JWST don't process in a single wavelength and there is enough within the different bandwidths to allow for processing of a "true colour" image.

These things are always not what the human eye can see because of the way that eyes work but shouldn't be too different from what you would expect from a image of this type.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:16 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-shares-first-selfie-photograph-183710296.html

The cooling down period Lance was talking about. But for 4 months?! Wow.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 am

First images back today as it also begins its alignment process. Nothing spectacular since it still has months of prep but it's a start.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:23 pm

This guy's style of talking put me off at first, but I got used to it and he goes into some very nice detail.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:58 am

I will watch when I get a chance. I seem to always have Dr Becky appear in my YT list so get some good JWST and astrophysics content from her.

Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:34 pm

( Yeah, I saw her too, but Forest would razz me about young females again if I posted her, so I refrained. Smile )

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:18 pm

A quick review of the Webb telescope, then a primer on the new visible range telescope NASA will be launching in a few years using a repurposed spy satellite mirror, and the likelyhood to continue servicing Hubble now that independent companies like SpaceX can provide space shuttle replacements.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 am

4 days to go . Wonder what we will see?

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next