Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
Ringdrotten
malickfan
18 posters

Page 12 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by halfwise Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Since Pluto's considered part of the Kuiper belt I can't see why this new thing wouldn't be.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 Empty Re: Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:10 pm

I guess "dwarf planet" sounds more exciting but my understanding from back when Pluto's demotion was in the news was that it's a fairly well-populated category. study
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:44 am

A broken telescope just discovered 104 new planets

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11677076&ref=NZH_Tw

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Old video, but still mind blowing:

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:01 pm

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 Ym0Dke5

The size of the Hubble Deep Field as seen from earth.

...And that's a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the visible universe as seen from Earth, we have no idea how much bigger the universe really is, and will possibly be able to build even more powerful telescopes and look even further...

Shocked

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:07 pm

http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-huge-new-space-telescope-finally-complete/

it will have 100 times the observing power of Hubble

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Fuck sake! Why doesn't image hosting work from my phone!!!
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:44 pm

malickfan wrote:http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-huge-new-space-telescope-finally-complete/

it will have 100 times the observing power of Hubble

I was only vaguely aware of this in the back of my mind. Thanks for bringing this up - Hubble was such a huge step forward with endless discoveries, I wonder what this will bring?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 Exoplanet20170223b

Want more on TRAPPIST-1, the recently discovered dwarf star and its seven Earth-size planets? We’ve released more data from our planet-hunting Kepler Space Telescope, which also has been observing this star since December 2016. Get the details: http://go.nasa.gov/2mlN4H6

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:03 am

{{{The latest update of Elite Dangerous has that system added now.
Whats amazing about it is that the games creates the galaxy using a propriety procedural generation program called Stellar Forge.

"Even with Hubble, the fainter M class red stars are only just visible at 40 light years, which is why Trappist 1 is not in most of the star catalogues. Beyond this distance we can see ever fewer M class stars – particularly the fainter ones like this M8 – and it is where our procedural generation begins to kick in – supplementing the brighter, more visible stars.

The way Stellar Forge works is to use ‘available mass’ from which to generate systems – and because of this unaccounted mass, Stellar Forge has created a system with a Brown Dwarf in very nearly the same place – 39 light years away – this is only a little smaller than an M8 – and it even has seven terrestrial worlds around it – Core Sys Sector XU-P A5-0....we have tweaked Stellar Forge with the data from the recent discoveries so that the planets are now the same – and we have renamed it Trappist 1"- ED Team}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 pm

NASA will announce some discovery about the moons of Saturn and the possibility of life in a live stream broadcast today at 2 pm EST (6 pm GMT).  Here's one of the places to watch it:live broadcast

Best guess right now is it has to do with thermal vents in the oceans of Enceladus.  Nobody is saying they have discovered life.  Most likely just all the right conditions for it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm

{{ Cheers Halfy- if I am about at 6 I'll try to catch that. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Will be starting soon! bounce

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm

the verge lost the stream. Go to https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive instead.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:18 pm

{{{ Mmm hydrogen vents, so the conditions for life found- but no means out there yet to detect actual life- presumably need to send a sub down! }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Even NASA can't get live stream to work seamlessly. Rolling Eyes

I kind of enjoy their choice to use one of their young publicists as MC. Sort of like the young chirpy hostess that meets you at a restaurant.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Interesting that they pointed out the caveat that if they are seeing so much chemical energy available in the plumes, it may be an argument against life: If there's a lot of pizza available, it may mean nobody is around to eat it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Best description of the science so far: https://futurism.com/5-nasa-says-saturns-moon-has-ingredients-necessary-for-a-habitable-environment/

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 am

There's A New Spot On Jupiter, And It's Pretty Cool

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 Infrared-1200x859

A prominent feature of Jupiter's surface is the Great Red Spot, which has been observed continuously since the 1830s. Jupiters red spot was easy to discover because of its prominent coloring. Now a new spot has been discovered that can only be seen in the infrared.

Dubbed the "Great Cold Spot," it exists not in the thick clouds of Jupiter, but in its thin upper atmosphere, a region driven by Jupiter's strong magnetic field. Jupiter magnetic field causes ionized particles to stream toward its magnetic poles, creating aurora similar to those we see on Earth. When ionized particles strike Jupiter's upper atmosphere, it causes that region of the upper atmosphere to heat up. It's generally been thought that the temperature of the upper atmosphere was rather static, with its temperature cooling as you move farther from the polar regions. But detailed infrared images show Jupiter's upper atmosphere is complex and dynamic.

The Great Cold Spot (indicated by the white arrow) it seen near the hot region of Jupiter's magnetic pole.

Using data from NASA’s InfraRed Telescope Facility, a team analyzed the thermal properties of Jupiter's upper atmosphere near the polar region. They found a cold region similar in size to the Great Red Spot. With data gathered over 15 years, the team could see the cold spot evolve and change, growing and shrinking over time. This indicates that the feature is persistent and dynamic, similar to the Great Red Spot. Thus the upper atmosphere has a complex weather system similar to that of Jupiter's lower atmosphere.

It remains to be seen whether there are other long-lasting features of Jupiter's upper atmosphere, but for now we can say that parts of it can be pretty cool.

Paper: Tom S. Stallard, et al. The Great Cold Spot in Jupiter’s upper atmosphere. Geophysical Research Letters. doi: 10.1002/2016GL071956 (2017)

Brian Koberlein is an astrophysicist, professor and author. You can find more of his writing at One Universe at a Time.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm surprised we haven't seen infrared images of jupiter before.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 am

Radar images of an asteroid that will safely fly by Earth tomorrow were obtained in the early morning hours on Tuesday by our Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex in California. The asteroid, known as 2014 JO25, will fly by at a distance of about 1.1 million miles (1.8 million kilometers), or about 4.6 times the distance from Earth to the moon. Learn more:
http://go.nasa.gov/2oKa4kx

Space and The wonders/mysteries of The Universe - Page 12 2014%2BJO25%2Bgiphy

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 am

NASA’s Juno probe forces ‘rethink’ on Jupiter.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/technology/science/nasas-juno-probe-forces-rethink-on-jupiter/news-story/58abbcb3bd6f8c83f40ffeb6c72611a8

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:23 am

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 pm

I was re-watching Apollo 13 and thinking to myself, "how on earth did they capture the footage of the actors in an apparently weightless state?"

Over the credits I saw a reference to a "C-135 Filming Unit" or something. Apparently, to make it appear as though the actors were in space, the film crew actually achieved temporary weightlessness for them by shooting within a KC-135 airplane, which achieves ~22 seconds of weightlessness for those on-board by following a parabolic flight pattern: gaining elevation at a steep angle before again descending in a kind of controlled free-fall. I guess they must have installed the sets required for filming within the plane itself, and gotten in a single short take before having to climb again.

Pretty nifty I thought. In comparison, the 2013 film Gravity makes it appear as though the actors are weightless entirely through visual effects. I read that 80% of the shots in that film are computer generated.

I read in an interview that Tom Hanks praised Ron Howard for his choice to film weightlessness in this way rather than through an "uncomfortable" system of wires and straps, but the KC-135's parabolic flight pattern can't have been exactly relaxing either. On the way up those inside experience 1.8gs, then the ~23 seconds of weightlessness, then 1.8gs on the way down. Rinse and repeat. Up and down, up and down.

NASA has used it for training since 1960 or so, and they've nicknamed it the "Vomit Comet" for a reason! Roughly 2/3rds of those who go up in the plane become ill (that is, throw up). Between Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, and Kevin Bacon, perhaps Hanks was the lucky third?

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:48 pm

eclipse was fun. People standing all around campus with plastic and paper eclipse glasses, or with pinhole camera setups. A few welding masks. I sauntered down to Broadway to see people rushing out of an eyewear store with sunglasses and tags still attached. the best part when when some of the broken clouds were just thick enough to do the job for you. Wasn't quick enough with the camera to capture that, unfortunately.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18 ... 25  Next