Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
13 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [10] - Page 22 Empty Re: Doctor Who [10]

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I am hoping for either a historic companion or an alien- NuWho has done contemporary earth companions to death.

I glad they've ditched the romance angle with the companion but the issue I see is how do you write a companion for such an reserved, unpredictable Doctor? Modern audiences would need a relatable character as an audience surrogate, but i don't think a contemporary companion would bounce of Capaldi's doctor very well, Moffat seems keen to bring back a bit of the mystery to the Doctor (which is right imo) but I can't really see people brought up on Tennant/Smith liking the companion taking the role of action hero.

Hmm...

Personally I would like to see a teacher/student, or best freinds having a laugh dynamic like 2/Jamie 10/Donna.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Going more mature might be a good idea, like Donna.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Would be interesting to see NuWho do a male companion. Rory wasnt a companion really, in that he was Amy's companion more than the Doctors, he became more a traditional companion towards the end- but theyve never done an all out male companion.

I think Capaldi would suit a male companion more. he can fully explore the more sarcastic and bleak side of his character. I think a female companion doesn't do him any favours. Eccy and Tennant worked well with females, and so did Smith, but Capaldi doesn't somehow, he needs to give vent to being harsher and alien. he cant really be like that with a girl, it wouldn't be pleasant to watch, but a male companion could be an interesting dynamic.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Yeah and then certain folk would go mental at Moffat for being so sexist he has done away with a female companion!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:
I think Capaldi would suit a male companion more. he can fully explore the more sarcastic and bleak side of his character. I think a female companion doesn't do him any favours. Eccy and Tennant worked well with females, and so did Smith, but Capaldi doesn't somehow, he needs to give vent to being harsher and alien. he cant really be like that with a girl, it wouldn't be pleasant to watch, but a male companion could be an interesting dynamic.

I'd agree with, but I'm not entirely convinced the BBC would give the Ok to a male co-lead, maybe bring him in part way through a series? I liked the dynamic of 11 and Amy/Rory two companions could be fun.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Yeah I like more than 1 companion too. Gives more options and more dynamics.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Going more mature might be a good idea, like Donna.

I don't think Donna would tolerate 12 Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 pm

It would certainly be an interesting match. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Yeah and then certain folk would go mental at Moffat for being so sexist he has done away with a female companion!

Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:20 pm

malickfan wrote:
Pettytyrant101 wrote:Going more mature might be a good idea, like Donna.

I don't think Donna would tolerate 12 Laughing

she wouldn't Laughing it would be like watching the Petty/Figg show. Scottish crabbit vs female crabbit. the tv would explode. Laughing
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Laughing Very true.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:02 am

Laughing

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:13 am

Cant say as I go along with thee sentiment of this! But its very nicely done, and if Moffat is going down the road of playing up 12's lighter side its not like Capaldi cant do the comedy, and this shows that well-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Is the new companion chatter related to Coleman thinking about quitting at least twice?

Jenna Coleman Tried to Quit Who

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:50 pm

No. She is not confirmed for all of next series. Which will make her the longest serving NuWho companion.
So its more discussing not a replacement but for another companion to join the mix and shake up the dynamic more.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 pm

considering Clara is the longest running companion she has had the least impact emotionally imo. Donnas season was short put she packed in a world of feels.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 am

Celebrating 10 years of NuWho-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Moffat on if he will be bringing back the Paternost Gang again -

'“I’m always slightly worried that you can’t keep repeating the joke. And there’s always talk of the spin-off, and the Beeb would do it in a heartbeat… but… I dunno. The moment you start relying on something, you should probably throw it away. I always kind of feel that nothing should stay in the Doctor’s life. You can have River for a few years, but then River has to go.”

On Clara staying for another series-

“I originally wrote her out in Death in Heaven. That was her last episode. And then she asked me if she could be in Christmas. So I said, ‘OK, I’ll write you out in Christmas’. She came to the read through and did the ‘write out’ version – and again changed her mind.”
He adds: “But the truth is I never wanted her to go. I didn’t really want Death in Heaven to be her last episode. And with Last Christmas, I’d already written the alternative version where she stayed, and I preferred that version. Frankly, I didn’t want to lose her. She’s an amazing actress, and she never stops working to make Clara better. I was very happy to go the extra mile to make sure we could keep her.”

On series 9 having more two-parters-

“We’re changing the rhythm of [the show] quite a bit. For a long while, those 45-minute stories were the backbone of Doctor Who. They felt new and fresh and different. It just started to feel to me, that as a member of the audience, you were getting too acquainted with the rhythm of it. You sort of think, ‘Well, now it’s about time for the music to come up.’
“Writing the first two-parter that I had done in years [with Dark Water/Death in Heaven] I just thought, I’m liking this. This feels more unpredictable.’ Because you don’t know how far you’re going to get through the story…
He continues: “The rule I’ve got is that you won’t be absolutely certain whether a show is going to be a two-parter or not. And sometimes something that looks like it’s going to be a single, isn’t a single. I think the nice thing is not having the feeling of, ‘It’s five minutes until the end of Doctor Who, so he’s bound to start running now.’”
He adds: “With each of the two-parters we’re doing, there’s a substantial difference between the two halves.”

I like that Moffat is continuing series 8's trend of shaking things up.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Moffat on if he will be bringing back the Paternost Gang again -

'“I’m always slightly worried that you can’t keep repeating the joke. And there’s always talk of the spin-off, and the Beeb would do it in a heartbeat… but… I dunno. The moment you start relying on something, you should probably throw it away. I always kind of feel that nothing should stay in the Doctor’s life. You can have River for a few years, but then River has to go.”.

Hmm, I'm not the greatest fan of the Paternost Gang (Strax excluded) but they are popular enough for a spin off I suppose, the problem I have with the idea is who would they aim the target audience at? Children or Families? I quite like the idea of a DR Spin Off set in Victorian London, it has the potential for more serious, historical stories (and would hopefully provide a trade off for earth set episodes in Who) with a humorous spin, a bit like Sarah Jane Aventures, maybe we could find out how they first met the Doctor (implied by Deep Breath to be a pre 11 incarnation)

I don't think they would wotk very well with Capaldi's Doc anyway.

Interestingily enough, I recall reading on the Big Finish forums a while ago rumours that they were negoiating the rights to more New Who characters, it wasn't confirmed by any of the staff, but several people pointed out A) New Torchwood audios are in the works B) The BBC has ever increasing budget cuts and C) Big Finish already have a popular Victorian Spin Of, Jago and Lightfoot which could be a decent jumping off point...

Shame they can't throw the Daleks away for a few years...

“I originally wrote her out in Death in Heaven. That was her last episode. And then she asked me if she could be in Christmas. So I said, ‘OK, I’ll write you out in Christmas’. She came to the read through and did the ‘write out’ version – and again changed her mind.”
He adds: “But the truth is I never wanted her to go. I didn’t really want Death in Heaven to be her last episode. And with Last Christmas, I’d already written the alternative version where she stayed, and I preferred that version. Frankly, I didn’t want to lose her. She’s an amazing actress, and she never stops working to make Clara better. I was very happy to go the extra mile to make sure we could keep her.”

I haven't got round to watching last christmas yet, but I do think Capaldi needs a new assistant...

Very glad 2 parters are coming back.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm

maybe we could find out how they first met the Doctor - Malick

We already know roughly, well the outline anyway. She was woken by workmen making the first tunnels for the London Underground, the Doctor stopped her from killing the workmen (it comes up in a Good Man Goes to War when Vastra warns the Doctor about letting his anger and wrath get the better of is judgement).

When it comes to a spin off, dont think Moffat would want to do it, he doesn't sound overly keen to me, seems more the BBC want him to do it. I dont really care either way, I never watched Sarah Jane adventures save the occasional cross over episode Like Death of the Doctor. It would be the same with a Paternoster Gang spin off.
But I do like the idea of mixing them in with Jago and Lightfoot. Bring the two spinoffs together into one.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:39 pm

The Paternoster gang is well past its sell-by date, I don't think they could be made into a spin off.
I just wish Torchwood could be brought back, I suppose it rests on getting the actor who plays Jack Harkness I am pretty sure they are popular enough for a reboot.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Barrowman is keen to bring it back, always has been- and its coming back just not to tv but to BF audio, written by RTD and with his original producer from Who.

I think the Paternoster Gang could easily be a spinoff- if you can make stories for a journalist and her adopted kid and his friends you can certainly come up with enough stories in Victroian London for a crime fighting lizard woman, her wife and their Sontaran servant- especially if as Malick suggests they team them up with Jago and Lightfoot, two very popular characters from classic era Who's (4th Doctor) visits to Victorian London.
That would make for some very interesting dynamics and a main team of five characters. Its easily enough to build a show around if they really wanted to.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:maybe we could find out how they first met the Doctor - Malick

We already know roughly, well the outline anyway. She was woken by workmen making the first tunnels for the London Underground, the Doctor stopped her from killing the workmen (it comes up in a Good Man Goes to War when Vastra warns the Doctor about letting his anger and wrath get the better of is judgement)Ah, ok...but which incarnation was it? Vastra seems familiar with regeneation.

When it comes to a spin off,  dont think Moffat would want to do it, he doesn't sound overly keen to me, seems more the BBC want him to do itIt's probably for the best I can see series 9 being his last, he'd probably want a clean break. I dont really care either way, I never watched Sarah Jane adventures save the occasional cross over episode Like Death of the Doctor. It would be the same with a Paternoster Gang spin off.
But I do like the idea of mixing them in with Jago and Lightfoot. Bring the two spinoffs together into one.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Ah, ok...but which incarnation was it? Vastra seems familiar with regeneation.- Malick

That we dont know. Nor exactly what it was he did that she owes him for.
All the people he gets to help him owe him on some personal level. We know Strax is doing penance as a nurse for what he did, but we dont know what he did or how the Doctor persuaded him to be a nurse or the Sontaran Heads to accept it.
Dorian is the only one we know his 'crime'- he aided Kovarian.
But its clear everyone he collects has a personal debt of some kind to pay.

Some folk complained at the time that he didnt go get the Brigadier, Captain Jack ect but the point is he would not want them involved in this- this is not a good side to him, the people he draws into it are ones who owe and therefore if they pay the price by dying its accepted by all thats just one way of repaying the debt.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Barrowman is keen to bring it back, always has been- and its coming back just not to tv but to BF audio, written by RTD and with his original producer from WhoActually we don't know yet if BF are producing them or not, alot of people seem hopeful they are due to the BBCs audio company Audiogo (who produced the previous Torchwood audios and the New Who audiobooks) going under and the UNIT announcement, BF's license is up for renewal later this year I think, so it's certainly possible....

I think the Paternoster Gang could easily be a spinoffPerhaps that's the issue? The characters are so quirky a spin off could become a little full of itself- if you can make stories for a journalist and her adopted kid and his friends you can certainly come up with enough stories in Victroian London for a crime fighting lizard woman, her wife and their Sontaran servant- especially if as Malick suggests they team them up with Jago and Lightfoot, two very popular characters from classic era Who's (4th Doctor) visits to Victorian London.
That would make for some very interesting dynamics and a main team of five characters. Its easily enough to build a show around if they really wanted toThat said, audios are great a niche fanbase (I haven't listened to Jago and Lightfoot, and I doubt many Newwhovians have either) actually looking at the Doctor Who wiki just now, it seems the 8th Doctor spent over a century in exile in Victorian London in the EDA books, he's BF's biggest selling Doctor, and they have recently begun adapting books, so you never know....

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next