Pettytyrant101
bungobaggins
Mrs Figg
13 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Doctor Who [10] - Page 40 Empty Re: Doctor Who [10]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Where do you get the century between Day and Rose from Malick?

Sarah Dollard talks writing for series 9-

Weeping Angels in Witcher 3-

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Where do you get the century between Day and Rose from Malick?

There's a discussion in Day between the three Doctors, (this is paraphrased from memory Its been a while since I've seen it) 11 states he is '1200 and something unless I'm lying' War replies '11 is 400 years older than I am' given this is War's last day of existence, and The 9th Doctor talks about '900' years of phonebox travel in the first series, and 10 more or less ages in real time and is only 907 when he regenerates, this seems to suggest a century passed between Day and Rose for the Doctor (despite the comments about his ears in Rose, RTD recently confirmed this was meant as a joke, it was always his intention that the 9th Doctor had been around for quite a while-whilst he's damaged and slightly unhinged he seems very comfortable in his body for a man who supposedly just regenerated, he also intended to regenerate the 8th Doctor in the comics at one point) or alternatively the 9th Doctor has a century of offscreen adventures in the gaps in Rose when we don't see him.

There's a wiki article on it:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_age

(It's just a fan throy though, Doctor Who dosen't really have a canon, and contradicts itself all the time anyway)

I've never been happy with the idea of the 9th Doctor living only a year, it rather limits what you can do with the character, look at 8 he spent 600 years marooned on a planet of sentient Jellyfish in 'Orbis' alone ...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 pm

I dont think you can put much stock in what age the Doctor says he is- I'm with Moffat on that one, he doesn't know any more.
Its never added up, but here's a stab at it using only tv and BF 8th Doctor -

8 when he entered the Academy (Sound of Drums)
90 ('just a kid') when he visited the Medusa Cascade (Stolen Earth).
236 stole the TARDIS (derived from the 4th Doctor saying he was 759 and Romanna noting he had been in the TARDIS for 523 years- this also more or less fits with the 11th saying he was 909 and the TARDIS saying they had travelled together for 700 years-The Doctor's Wife).

The 2nd Doctor really confuses the issue however he claimed he was 'something like' 450 (Tomb of the Cybermen) but then he later claimed to be thousands of years old.

3 only adds to the confusion he begins to say he is 'several thousand' but stops himself before finishing the sentence (The Mind of Evil) and he hinted at the same in Doctor Who and the Silurians.
He was 748 when he regenerated according to Planet of the Spiders.

4 was largely aged between 748 and 759 during his run but also claimed he couldn't remember his real age.

5 never referred to his age.

6 was 900 in Remembrance of the Daleks and the Mystery Planet. He even had a birthday party (The One Doctor BF) He was 953 when he regenerated.

7 claimed in Project Lazurus BF that a century or three had passed since his last visit as 6, which would make 7 about 1200.

8 is frankly a nightmare when it comes to his age, it ranges from 1012 to at least another 600 years spent in Orbis BF so 1612. But a lot his hard to judge how long events take.

The War Doctor- the Time War lasted 400 years of linear time and no one knows how much bendy twisty messed up time.
The figures given in Day of the Doctor would mean the War Doctor was between 800 and 900 years old, which is younger than his previous incarnation was!

9 once again claimed to be about 900 (Aliens of London).

10 said he was 903, he is 904 in Day of the Doctor and 906 when he regenerated.

11 said he was 907 (Flesh and Stone) after the Utah events he is 'around about' 1000, by Town Called Mercy he was 1200. By the end of the siege of Trenzelore he was approx 2100 having spent 900 years defending Trenzalore.

12 claimed he was over 2000 (Deep Breath).

So yeah, I think the answer is the Moffat answer- The Doctor has long since lost track and every so often picks a number he likes the sound of and starts counting from there for a few centuries before forgetting again and starting the whole process over.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:33 pm

'Steven Moffat has been award an OBE for his services to drama in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
Speaking to BBC's Lizo Mzimba:
I never thought I would get something like this, I'm astonished and more thrilled than I ever thought someone like me would be. I'm not the least bit cynical, or the least bit trying to be cool about it. I'm just really, really happy.'

Congratulations Mr Moffat! cheers

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I dont think you can put much stock in what age the Doctor says he is- I'm with Moffat on that one, he doesn't know any more.
Its never added up, but here's a stab at it using only tv and BF 8th Doctor -

8 is frankly a nightmare when it comes to his age, it ranges from 1012 to at least another 600 years spent in Orbis BF so 1612. But a lot his hard to judge how long events take.

Actually thinking about 8 can probably explain the discrepancy, in Vampire Science (which takes place 3 years after the TV movie) he comments he resets the age to 3 because it sounds better than 1012, and later mentions he wasn't sure if he lost track or not (Eight seems rather prone to memory loss as well anyway), add 600 years on Orbis, 113 years in exile on Earth, and probably around a century or 2 in the audios and you would come close to 900, as the Doctor casts off his name to fight in the time war (in which you couldn't really count time I suppose) maybe he picks up his age count again afterwards, having long forgotten his 'true' age.

yeah i know it's not something that needs to be (or can be) explained in the show, but it dosen't stop me having a nerdy head canon that is loosely based around some facts Laughing

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:'Steven Moffat has been award an OBE for his services to drama in the Queen's Birthday Honours.
Speaking to BBC's Lizo Mzimba:
I never thought I would get something like this, I'm astonished and more thrilled than I ever thought someone like me would be. I'm not the least bit cynical, or the least bit trying to be cool about it. I'm just really, really happy.'

Congratulations Mr Moffat! cheers

Figgs will be happy Cool

I won't pretend to understand or appreciate the logic of the honours system (I don't have a strong opinion on the Royals either way, but it does seem kinda archaic to hand out 'Orders Of The British Empire'...our Empire isn't exactly big anymore is it?) RTD got one, seems fair enough Moffat does as well, both have had huge impact (and widespread critical acclaim) on modern British TV Drama

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 pm

RTD has already got an OBE, so yeah I am quite happy. Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Bluebottle wrote: Maybe I'll listen to some of his BF stuff, at least he got to have a proper go at the character there.

Thought I'd bump this up again if you are still interested, BF have recently updated their website, each of the 8 doctors now has a separate page for all of their stories, here is McGanns:

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released/doctor-who---the-8th-doctor-collected

(This doesn't take into account the 28 'Short Trips' collections of short stories BF published between 2002-2009, they no longer have a license to sell Who related physical books, and I think all the books are out of print anyway)

(Living Legend is quite slight, and funny (its about 20 minutes long) as it was a Magazine freebie originally, but it and Mary's Story (£0.99) will give you a good idea of the format if you don't want to splash out on anything major (the latter is one of my fave McGann stories, very atmospheric and timey wimey, and wonderfully acted, its technically both the earliest and latest full story chronologically in his BF timeline so far...) as the format does take a little getting used to. Shada, though technically a remade 4th Doctor story is brilliant as well, and more or less stand alone, it was originally written as a webcast, which you can watch for free here) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Ah, that's pretty cool. I'll keep it in mind. Smile

I've only listened to one Big Finish story, I think. Which was the first Tom Baker one. With the.. space bees? That was quite evocative.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks for the link Malick. Thumbs Up

In series 9 directing news it seems that American Rachel Talalay is back to direct the series finale (she also directed last series finale).
This means series 9 opening two parter will be directed by a woman (Hettie McDonanld) and its finale, as well as two female writers, Catherine Tregenna and Sarah Dollard, joining the team led by female producer Nikki Wilson.
There is aso a strong female cast presence, besides Jenna returning as Clara, and the return of Missy we have Jemma Redgrave, Kelly Hunter, Clare Higgins, Ingrid Oliver, Maise Williams, Faye Marsay, and the outside possibility of Alex Kingston returning.
And thats just the stuff that's been released or teased.

Not sure what Moffat has to do to convince folk he has no objection, and in fact wants, more woman working n Who. Probably he'd need to have a sex change, and even then someone would accuse of him of only doing it to offend.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Well there might be hope. (And he should have thought about that sex change before Jenner, now he'll just be a copy cat. )

In the mean time, we've had a nice time watching Dead like me, where even the most shallow character made my heart ache, I've shed a tear or two, gay characters who were not a ninja and Georgie's many awesome faces have made me squeee with joy. And Grimm where even a bloody witch with a face like a unwrapped mummie has far more dept than Who has been able to deliver. It even has a tradis... that little caravan is huuuuge inside!

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Glad you have something you are enjoying Amarie but I don't think your comparison is very fair regards gay characters.
I dont remember you objecting to Captain Jack being basically a space hero, and whilst Jenny can do a bit of fighting Madame Vastra has no special abilities other than those that come with being of her species, Carlton had no special abilities at all, he was just a bloke doing a job, as were the two gay marines.
And Who not only lead the way in including homosexual and trans sexuial characters in a family teatime show, but also was among the first to include a married couple, let alone a cross species homosexual marriage.
I dont think Who's credentials as a show in this regard are really under any question.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:20 pm

I would like.. a gay character that isn't defined by their sexuality. It's odd how rare that is in fiction.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Carlton- we dont even find out he is gay until near the end of the two parter when we discover its the reason he was fired from his job. Other than that it has no bearing on his character or his actions in the story.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Carlton (Wait... Carson? Car... well that guy) was good. He was meant to be a surprise, so he got to be perfectly normal through the whole thing. Bless! They can when they want to, I just wish they wanted to more often...

You've objected to the gay marines too, that's their whole identity just there. They are singled out as being weird and unusual, and I don't like that. So sue me.

Jack is the opposite of the two marines (and then some....). He was introduced as a typical future human being, which made me feel like the Who show believed in a open-minded, inclusive future. He is far over the top and gets weird and weirder, but he made me smile, and he and the Doctor kissed cause it was the natural thing to do. I thought it was a lovely moment. No fuss. Gave me hope. Thinking about seeing Jack for the first time makes me happy. Vestra and Jenny makes me think of AU fanfiction of Sherlock/Watson or Arthur/Merlin. But I never really liked this power dynamic in characters/couples, so there's that.

DLM's gay couple were fairly stereo typical, but they did a good job of straightening (so to speak) out the Mason character and the viewer. They were a couple like any other only the were both male. And it's the only episode where I actually sobbed.

Last edited by Amarië on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Carlton had no special abilities at all

Other than his dance skills, you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8

Doctor Who [10] - Page 40 NyB4qWc