Ringdrotten
bungobaggins
9 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Dark Tower Series - Page 2 Empty Re: The Dark Tower Series

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 am

The Dark Tower Series - Page 2 723aeedbdc5dd7825d49866fb882615b

How's it going Ringo? I've had a slow start to book five because of events outside of my control. Hopefully I'll be able to dive in soon.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 am

33% I think - liking it so far Smile

The Dark Tower Series - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:09 am

That's good, you're going to love the ending then. I'm about 10 percent into book 5. The more I read, the more I'm starting to connect things in other King stories to elements I'm learning about in The Dark Tower.

For example, near the end of book 4 I realized that the fog cloud in The Mist is most likely a thinny. And the traveling between worlds in The Langoliers seems more in line with King's universe than I ever considered. And I've a hunch that the Langoliers are probably
Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 pm

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/news/newsuks-centre-for-process-innovation-reveals-windowless-aircraft-concept-4419290

A "windowless aircraft" - reminds me of a certain mono, not sure I would've enjoyed such an experience Laughing Almost 70% into book 4 now, things are starting to happen. I'll post my thoughts on it when I'm done, but I've enjoyed the book a lot so far, and based on your spoiler-free review I suspect we disagree somewhat about it, but we'll see Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Ringo. Smile I'm almost halfway through book 5.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:35 am

Only 5% left of book 4! Might finish it tonight, if I can stay awake Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 am

Cheerleader Cheerleader Cheerleader Cheerleader Cheerleader

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:42 pm

Finished it yesterday Very Happy  Added a few comments to what you wrote in the spoiler tag, bungo

bungobaggins wrote:Ka like the wind.

I think I'll start with some general remarks that are spoiler free.

This was a tough read for me. To put the entire quest on hold for 700 pages is a bold move IMO, and while we do learn some important things about Roland, I feel like the execution of it is a bit off. There might be a better way to incorporate Roland's past into the story without putting a halt on everything else; maybe introducing bits of the story in a piecemeal fashion instead of dumping it on the reader all at once. Perhaps deliver the important information within the story and make a fleshed out version in an entire book that is optional to the series. Shrugging These are just suggestions, and I'm sure King has a better idea about what he's doing than I do.

Roland just never seemed like the type to just lay it all out for everyone to know. He always seemed private and more reserved, cold. So him exposing this important part of his past to the ka-tet seems out of character. But perhaps it is because they are now ka-tet he feels he can share it with them.

Spoilers follow.

Spoiler:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:This was my problem with the first half of book 3, and I felt the same way about parts of book 4. Oddly enough, when things begin to happen I actually appreciate the slow build-up, both in the third and the fourth book. The slow progress builds tension, or it does for me at any rate.

You have a good point here, and when things in book 4 started to pick up I did feel like it was still worth reading through the "boring" parts.

You said it was a bold move to put the entire story on hold the way he does, and it is. But I liked it, and I actually wanted more at the end - what happened to Alain and Cuthbert? Will we ever know?

You'll find some of this information in book 5. Wink

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:41 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

You'll find some of this information in book 5. Wink

Glad to hear it, already a few pages in Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 pm

Been meaning to ask you this, bungo.. how do you pronounce ken and kennit? Like Barbie and Ken? scratch And there was something else, but I it seems I've forgotten what it was. Anyway, those two words sound very strange to me, so I'd love some clarification Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:23 pm

It's pronounced like Ken the name. There's a clear audio file of the pronunciation here.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ken#English

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:58 pm

Finished book 5 yesterday (mostly thanks to airports and sleep troubles) - will post my thoughts on it this weekend, currently typing on a phone (which is a pain Mad ).

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm at 47 percent. If knew this would happen. Mad

{{{I actually don't mind typing on my phone because I use Swype.}}}

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Was going to post my thoughts on book 5 during the weekend, but it turned out busier than expected, and now I've got a paper to finish by Friday, so it'll probably have to wait even longer. I'm going to have to do it soon, though, already 60% into book six Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:35 pm

wtf Ringo. Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Long flight yesterday Laughing And it is alot shorter than the previous two, so it isn't that much of an accomplishment really. And it isn't as slow as 3, 4 and 5. Not that I mind the slow pace of the other ones (looking back on them anyway), but it is a welcome change nonetheless.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 pm

54 percent through book 5. Mad You're gonna finish the entire series before I get to book 6! Mad

I imagine that the pace will really pick up in the third section of book 5, once the Wolves arrive.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm back to reading only when I'm in bed now and my progress has slowed don't quite alot, so you don't have to worry about me finishing the series anytime soon Smile And yes, the pace picks up in book 5 as well Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Wrote a review a couple of days ago, but when I tried to post it I was taken away from the forum because it didn't support proxy or whatever (I had Hola unblocker enabled at the time), which is weird because it hasn't been an issue before. Anyway, it wasn't that long, I just got too pissed to rewrite it. This'll probably be even shorter as I've got some cleaning for Christmas to do! I recommend you don't read this until you've finished the Wolves, Bungo Smile

Spoiler:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:07 am

66 percent. Got to part 3 tonight. Cheerleader

I really liked Callahan's tale, especially the moment at the Way Station with the man in black.

I'm looking forward to reading your review, Ringo. Smile

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:18 pm

"I really liked Callahan's tale, especially the moment at the Way Station with the man in black." - bungo

Yeah, that was pretty great Very Happy Perhaps it's supposed to be Roland, but Walter is my favourite character in this series. Has been ever since Tull Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Roland may have been my favorite character in previous books, but not in this one. His conversation with Jake about what to do with Susannah made me feel just as uncomfortable as Jake did. I think Callahan is my favorite character in this book. Oh, and Eddie is getting pretty annoying with all his "19" jokes. Rolling Eyes

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Yeah, the whole 19 thing better have a badass conclusion Smile Finally got some time to read again, 85% into book six now. The whole book has been great so far, definitely one to look forward to Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:15 pm

Finished book 5 last night. I don't have time to post any thoughts now, but overall I really liked this one over book 4, a big improvement IMO.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next