Wisey Banks
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Eldorion
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dark Planet Day Empty Dark Planet Day

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:00 am

Are you trying to save a forum so you can retroactively justify your claims to have done so before? Razz

(Split from the Safe Haven thread.)

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Dark Planet Day Empty Re: Dark Planet Day

Post by Porgy Bunk-Banks Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:10 am

Oh Orwell! It seems you have stepped into the breach, what with Odo tied up (those students of his are such minxes! Rolling Eyes ) Oh Orwell - my hero!!! I love you
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Dutiful Consort

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisey Banks Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:22 am

Dark Planet Day,
Dark Planet Day,
We remember we who dwell,
Over the darkened frothy swell,
The evil day when that
horrid Planet
(the memory makes me as
mad as a gannet!)
- Lead by Taz (the Dark One) -
slid over like a big fat oily cloud,
And took us over without warning
all vain and arrogant and proud!

Scaring all the sturdy folk of Hobbit Forum
except Odo Banks in all decorum,
Oh yes, HE stepped forth to save us from what befell us
(at least that's what he's prone to tell us)
Oh how he fought with tooth and claw
in all Respectabilis Honorabilis, what's more,
HE gave us all a Brave New Hope
when we thought we couldn't cope.

Of course, Eldo helped a bit, it's true,
And Pettytyrant101 added some glue -
and our other friends did not desert us
(though we lost Chris for a time
and that really hurt us! Sad )

Anyhow, let's get back to Odo,
Our greatest hero - And his motto?:
"Stand tall, hang brave, be resolute,
And come to Forumshire -
this place is beaut!"

"The True Ballad of What Happened." As told (very often) by Odo Banks.

Wisey Banks

Chief Forumshire Channeller

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:43 am

I must admit, when expressed like that, I almost have to agree with Odo's account simply for its lyrical beauty. Almost. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:48 am

Hey we get a mention in this version Eldo-that's some sort of improvement I suppose.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:33 am

So long as you two don't get full of yourselves, all will be well. Very Happy

I'll quote from the horses mouth: "They had a quite limited role, really, Orwell my friend, but I shan't try to compete with their breast beating, should they choose to do so, for as you know I am a humble sort of chap."

Guys, you know how Odo hates vain self important people who try to build up their contribution to anything, so please you must be humble.

Odo also said that he didn't want the whole truth to come out, because it would surely embarrass at least one person in Forumshire, and he, especially, wouldn't want that.

How very thoughtful of him, I thought. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 am

Truth is often embarrising, for Odo.
But this will soon be settled once and for all Orwell if you care to look over on the Awards Thread.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:48 am

Oh I don't think we need to go over all this, do we? Shocked It's very sad when people start to bring up things from the past. Imagine how pathetic would it sound regurgitating one's personal (and vainglorious) achievements?

Petty: "Why don't we email the people we know and make up our own forum? It will take time and effort, but I think it's worth it."

Eldo: "I agree. What if I see if I can work out how to make our own, Petty?"

Odo: "Quite so. Very Happy "

Petty: "Well, I'll roll my sleeves up and leave no stone unturned until we rescue all our friends."

Eldo: "Yes, I've already made some inquiries and I think, if I work hard day and night I can start something up at least."

Odo: "Worthy efforts, my friends. Very Happy "

BIT LATER

Petty: "Well, I've contacted several friends, Eldo. They're keen."

Eldo: "I've contacted a couple too. We will save our Forum yet, even if removed to a Brave New World."

Odo: "Wonderful sentiments. Very Happy "

Petty: "Will it cost us any money?"

Eldo: "Only a smallish annual fee if we all pitch in."

Odo: "Excellent. Very Happy If you all do, you'll hardly notice that investment, fellows. I commend your generosity. Nod "

Pettty: "Great, Eldo and Odo. I'm sure we can count on each on other to make a contribution."

Odo: "Financial, physical or just psychological? Shrugging ... You don't mean...! Shocked Surely a heartfelt psychological contribution is all you can expect from me at the moment? What with the economic downturn... and all... Sad "

Eldo: "Ï'll get to work on the construction... where's my nethohammer?"

Petty: "I'll continue to hunt down our frends tirelessly and work out ideas for setting up."

Odo: "And I shall encourage you both - time allowing - at every (possible) step of the way! Very Happy "

My good friends. I mean to say. We can all pat ourselves on the back, but why arrogantly beat our chests while doing it? Humility is the word I like to use. Humility. So let's hear no more about checking back through Historical documents. Nonsense! Rolling Eyes What point is there in that? I've already told everyone I meet of your contributions, while always down playing my own role, of course!

There! Is everyone satisfied? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by odo banks on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:59 am

Yes now that does sound more familar Odo. I remember it well, I of course opened my sporran wide, I;m sure I did, as generous as a Scots hobbit can be... you know actually this going over old ground, water under the bridge and all that, perhaps the least said about it the better after all.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:04 am

I'm glad I saw your most recent post, Odo. I was beginning to be worried that my memory was slipping. Thank you for reassuring me that I didn't imagine everything that happened. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 am

I am a person who is always generous with the truth, my friends, you know that. And if I have staved off dissension with my wise appeasements, I can surely go to bed a relieved gentlehobbit. You know how I hate conflict. And if I'm ever forced again to gild the lily to protect at least one reputation, I shall. That's how fond I am of you all. Very Happy

Last edited by odo banks on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:12 am

odo banks wrote:If I have to gild the lily to protect at least one reputation, I shall. Very Happy

Perish the thought! Shocked Your previous post had the best of both worlds: an olive branch that took the form of (hitherto unadmitted) unvarnished truth. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am

Also ... this isn't much of a safe haven thread for Bree-landers anymore. Should we split the tangent on Dark Planet Day into its own thread? Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:15 am

Always happens! I'm sure Orwell meant well, though, in setting this up. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:16 am

Could be moved to the Dark Planet thread, I guess. (Gotta go. My son insists I play cricket with him in the backyard! Teenagers! Rolling Eyes )

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:18 am

I salute Orwell's purpose in setting up the original thread so I've moved this commemoration of our darkest day into its own thread. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:56 am

What date was it, Eldo? I think we should hold a Dark Planet Day Celebration every year. Perhaps we could align it with Mayor Elections as well? That would mean our first Mayor will have a shortened First Term - but as it likely won't be me or any of my associates, then who cares? Laughing We could link it with the Woodhall Picnic too. Would give us our own Extra Special Day, wouldn't it! Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:23 am

Gotta go. My son insists I play cricket with him in the backyard! Teenagers!- Orwell

Very Happy You would think in this day and age it would be fathers trying to persuade sons to leave their screens and go outside and play- but no.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 am

Orwell wrote:What date was it, Eldo? I think we should hold a Dark Planet Day Celebration every year.

Dark Planet Day is 11 February. That's the day that the old forum was taken down and we fled to the temporary forum. Two days later on 13 February is when our accounts on DP were activated and also when the new forum was begun.

Perhaps we could align it with Mayor Elections as well? That would mean our first Mayor will have a shortened First Term - but as it likely won't be me or any of my associates, then who cares? Laughing We could link it with the Woodhall Picnic too. Would give us our own Extra Special Day, wouldn't it! Very Happy

Well, I think that's a bit too soon to have another election, but perhaps the first Mayor can have a slightly longer term than usual and the next election can be February 2013. Although I'm not sure I'd pick a sad day for happy events like that. NB The winner of the election has been announced; check it out in the MEET YOUR NEW MAYOR thread. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 am

I can't believe you can't even remember when it was Orwell. Shocking. Of course there is no dispute over what happened anyway as it was all recordered in the Tyrant historic records, reproduced here from the vaults as evidence.

From the Book of the Tyrants.

In days of old, when Petty dwelt in the land of The Hobbit Movie News and all was peaceful, if a bit bland looking, a great evil arose. Yet all seemed well and the lands inhabitants were unsuspecting of the malice which brooded over them, filled will ill intent.
The buckie flowed and PJ apoligists such as Gandalf's Beard fell before Petty's unassailable arguments. Conspiracy theories were exposed and the Coven outed into the open where the residents could throw rotten fruit at them and cry unto them, "why did you make such an arse of it? Why?' Though answers there were none save those which were bloody infuriating and made things worse.
But disaster was looming over this fair land, uneen yet present. For the Heavens were cast into a blackness as large over all loomed the Dark Planet, and in a fiery chariot riding from it came the terrible Overlord of that henious place, Taz.
In his hand was a whip of flame and his smile was death and he smote at the land and swept it unto himself and all therein were cast into the void, seperate and alone.
But wise had Petty been for he had long prepared against such a day and by cunning magic and palantiri he sought out the others, one by one in the darkness. And saved and led by Petty from the black they came to a new land. And Petty, seeing the new land was good said unto Eldo, 'tidy it up a bit will you?' And Eldo, hearing the wisdom in these words did as he was told for once. But being a bit lazy he got his consort Baingil to do most of the work.
And Petty turned to those who had followed him from the darkness to the new land and said unto them in question, 'is everyone here?' to which Chris replied, "I'm not.'
And then Petty noticed that among those huddled beneath his kilt another was missing, indeed none other than the notorious villian and coal scuttle theif Odo Banks himself. Yet, despite the evils the Banks had committed upon the Tyrants through the years Petty vowed that even a Banks would be not left behind (just Chris). And he went back into the darkness though the people called for him to stay.
No one knows all the terrors Petty endured, in disguise he scoured the Dark Planet for traces of Odo and finally found him deep in the dark and smelly places, which is near Needlehole, and carried him shaking back to the new land. And there was a great rejoicing and praising of Petty's name.
And then Petty said, 'what shall we call this new and bountiful land?" and with one voice the people responded 'Tyrantshire!' But Petty shook his head and said unto them, 'Nay thats a bloody stupid name, even I can see that and I'm pissed. No it shall be known as Forumshire. And I shall appoint Eldo to watch over it and Tinuviel to bless and bring grace to it, cause I can't be arsed and the pubs are about to open.'
And so Formshire was founded.

Exactly as I remember it. Nod drunken (ooh I shouldn't nod like that makes me feel queasy No ) drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 am

That tale is so entertaining it must be true! cheers

And if most of it sounds suspiciously "Banks-like" in it's attention to All Things Truthful, nonetheless it is clearly a Holy Entertainment, and surely blessed and belovéd by Eru, or ought to be - it's certainly belovéd by Me. Very Happy

I'm wondering now, if I was ever present in HobbitMovieNewsLand - or did Eru create me, fully formed, in Forumshire? Suspect

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am

I have just reread that excerpt from the "Book of the Tyrants" and truly saith I, it 'tis a right pisser! lol!

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:05 pm

You know, I have been hearing stories about how HobbitMovieNewsLand was sold by one of it's own, and that the new Lord wanted to live in peace with the Shirelings and welcomed them. And their Archive of All Things Said and Done was kept instead of destroyed. And that to this day the Archive sit on Dark Planet land, protected by the same forces that protect the Dark Planetarians. And through what must be some cleverly disguised Stargate technology or teleportation device (so not to scare the inhabitants with spaceships or such), the Forumshire hobbits can go there and remember what Was.

Must have heard it from some crazy Bree-lander.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Funny, Amarie, I heard that the Forumhobbits were afraid of being oppressed and not allowed to spam, talk about Big Bad Serious topics -- which may or may not have been reasonable fears -- or be able to preserve a distinct community spirit. But I also heard that the deputies of Taz didn't know anything about his plans and were helpful, so let's be fair. Wink I even heard it was some "Neville Chamberlain type" who asked the Dark Lord Taz ever so nicely to make the Archive available. Razz But nah, it must have been the xenophobic Forumhobbit crabbit brigade who did everything. Surely they would never exaggerate anything. Laughing

As for Hobbit Movie News being sold out by one of our own, we do not like to speak of him. He is a traitor who didn't even have the decency to tell anyone else what he was doing! Mad It was a dirty backroom deal between two admins and no one else. No
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Now that you mention it, I did hear something similar. And I also heard that at least one Planetarian might have been able to give warnings of how issues like that might (surely) appear, had they been informed of the events to come. But this is probably just gossip and drunk talk.
(Well, we did know that Taz was hoping to buy the site, but not about the merge.)

Oooooooooo, but rumors and such aside: I have THE best idea for a Dark Planet day reminder EVER! Must see if I can find the time to sketch something down... Hopefully in time for the Big Day at least. Smile

Last edited by Amarië on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next