Forest Shepherd
Ringdrotten
bungobaggins
9 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Dark Tower Series Empty The Dark Tower Series

Post by bungobaggins Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:47 pm

As Ringo is trudging through book 3, and I have picked up book 4 again, I felt it would be appropriate to start a thread where we can discuss all things Ka.

I did read about 50 pages last night, and have made it to the half way point and interlude of Wizard and Glass. So far I feel that what is about to happen in the second half of the book is fairly obvious, which is unfortunate. But this entire books is Roland telling the Ka-tet a story from his young adulthood. Although this book feels like a chore, the fact that I was able to read so much last night has made me more determined to finish it than ever.

After I get through this, only three more books until what some have considered the most disappointing ending to Stephen King's magnum opus. Very Happy Razz

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

The Dark Tower Series Empty Re: The Dark Tower Series

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Good idea, Bungo Very Happy I haven't spoiled the ending for myself, but I've got a bad feeling that
Spoiler:
. The build-up so far seems to be leading to such an ending, though I strongly hope I'm wrong. But what else could have caused such disappointment among his fans?

You've said before that book 4 is mostly a long flashback - I quite like that idea. I'll find out for myself soon enough, but I always want to know more when Roland mentions episodes from his past, he never goes into detail about it.

The Dark Tower Series Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:29 pm

From what I've heard about the ending/inferred from things that happen later in the series, I think that the ending has some sort of meta quality to it that is disappointing to most. But this is just my guess. I'm just glad I've gone about four or so years without spoiling the ending for myself.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:00 pm

http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-movie-cast-aaron-paul/

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Perfect Eddie Very Happy I had no idea about these plans of making it a movie, so this was all news to me. Not so sure about Russell Crowe as Roland, though. I picture Roland like John Marston from the game Red Dead Redemption, both his voice and his looks are very Roland-y Nod But who knows, Crowe could probably be a great Roland. I wonder who they'll cast as The Man in Black..

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 pm

I had forgotten to mention that the movie is currently in development hell. pale But Aaron Paul would be perfect for Eddie.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:12 pm

I can live with that for now, gives us time to finish the books Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:15 pm

That's a good way to look at it. I remember hearing back in the day that they were considering Javier Bardem for Roland. There's really only one person who can play him, Clint Eastwood 40 years ago. Nod

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:31 pm

" There's really only one person who can play him, Clint Eastwood 40 years ago" - Bungo

My thoughts exactly Laughing I've only seen Javier Bardem in Skyfall, so I don't know enough about him as an actor to say whether he's a good or a bad choice.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Did you know about this one, bungo?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C6LI2O/ref=pe_975390_124732580_em_1p_4_lm

The Wind through the Keyhole - a stand-alone novel set in the universe of The Dark Tower. Apparently it bridges a gap between books 4 and 5 (I recommend reading the customer review at the top). Seeing as you're on book 4 I thought maybe you'd like to look into this before you move on to book 5 Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Hmm, yes I was aware of it. Smile I was thinking about going straight into book five and read them in order of publication. I'll look into it further and let you know what I decide once I finish book four.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Not decided what approach I'll choose myself yet. Probably in the order they were published Smile Liking book 3 more and more by the way - the pace really picked up once Jake was drawn. Not that I didn't like the first part (loved Roland as a teacher Very Happy ), it was just a little slow.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 pm

My favourite scene so far in the series, illustrated and read aloud Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:24 pm

Finished book 3 today, bungo - I take back whatever negative stuff I've said about it Very Happy Having read all of it, I think the slow pace at the beginning works as a nice build-up for Lud. And Lud was pretty damn good Very Happy Loved Blaine the Mono, who would've thought that a 
Spoiler:
could be such a brilliant idea. Now I'm looking forward to book 4 and getting to know more about Roland's past, but I hope it won't be flashbacks - I'd like to know more about that Ageless Stranger as well.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:32 am

Ringdrotten wrote:My favourite scene so far in the series, illustrated and read aloud Smile

That was nice. Nod I like how King's writing has inspired such great art. Always loved the imagery of the rose growing in the vacant lot from book 3.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:01 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Finished book 3 today, bungo - I take back whatever negative stuff I've said about it Very Happy Having read all of it, I think the slow pace at the beginning works as a nice build-up for Lud. And Lud was pretty damn good Very Happy Loved Blaine the Mono, who would've thought that a 
Spoiler:
could be such a brilliant idea. Now I'm looking forward to book 4 and getting to know more about Roland's past, but I hope it won't be flashbacks - I'd like to know more about that Ageless Stranger as well.

I really like the entire Lud sequence, too. And Blaine is a much more imposing riddle-contest opponent than Gollum. Wink I'm surely getting through book 4, and I'm glad you're reading too because I think it's a good motivator for me. I've been reading my paperback copy of book 4 for the longest time, but tonight I decided to purchase the kindle edition, so I've been reading on my kindle tonight and I was surprised that I become a much faster/less distracted reader on my kindle {{{plus it's harder to look ahead and spoil what's going to happen}}}.

I've got about 40 percent of book 4 left to go, and I think when I'm done I'll just go straight in to book 5, and eventually read Wind Through the Keyhole when I finish the entire series.

I know I've had a lot of problems with book 4, but I haven't done a very good job of articulating them beyond "it's just one big flashback." I'll try to better explain what I didn't like after I've finished it. Although there was one moment reading tonight when I sat up in bed, surprised at the appearance of a certain man in black. I don't think it's that spoilery to give away the fact that he appears in book 4.

Although I feel like a bad Stephen King fan going forward, because I haven't read Salem's Lot and Father Callahan plays a big role in book 5.

I feel like I've been reading this book forever. I hope things get better, and I hope I like the ending.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 pm

" And Blaine is a much more imposing riddle-contest opponent than Gollum."

He sure is Laughing I'm reading it on my kindle as well. It's strange how much more I read after I bought that thing - I read everywhere now. I did read some reviews of book 4 on amazon, and many of them were favorable,, so I choose to be optimistic Nod

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:23 pm

70 percent through. Metal

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Think I'll be finishing up book 4 tonight or tomorrow. Getting excited. Very Happy

We need a Dark Tower hype train.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Make that a hype monorail. Wink

The Dark Tower Series Blaine_the_Mono

Blaine is a pain.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 pm

And that is the truth Nod Cool picture! A pain indeed, but a very entertaining pain at least Very Happy I'm on page 80-ish (14%) now. Let me know what you think of it when you're done Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Book 4 done. ✔

Thoughts will be up in a day or two. They're going to be spoiler filled, so you'll probably want to hold off reading them until you're done with book 4.

The Dark Tower Series 3838694-3168719-2031440819-tumbl

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:03 am

Ka like the wind.

I think I'll start with some general remarks that are spoiler free.

This was a tough read for me. To put the entire quest on hold for 700 pages is a bold move IMO, and while we do learn some important things about Roland, I feel like the execution of it is a bit off. There might be a better way to incorporate Roland's past into the story without putting a halt on everything else; maybe introducing bits of the story in a piecemeal fashion instead of dumping it on the reader all at once. Perhaps deliver the important information within the story and make a fleshed out version in an entire book that is optional to the series. Shrugging These are just suggestions, and I'm sure King has a better idea about what he's doing than I do.

Roland just never seemed like the type to just lay it all out for everyone to know. He always seemed private and more reserved, cold. So him exposing this important part of his past to the ka-tet seems out of character. But perhaps it is because they are now ka-tet he feels he can share it with them.

Spoilers follow.

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 am

The Dark Tower Series Tet2

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down