Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Ringdrotten
15 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

Tried the night bus once... never again.

Amen to that Laughing And why the hell is the font stuck on italic?! Mad

Edit: Apparently it isn't Shocked Must've been a bug.

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:02 am

I just got back from camping.
No pictures I'm afraid, but I had a great time; enjoyed the heat instead of this foggy coastal weather for a change!
I stayed on the Merced River in Mariposa County, just 20 miles or so outside of Yosemite. Mostly swam in the river and played board games really, we never actually drove into Yosemite as we ran out of time and noone felt like going. (Apparently that's what happens when you've been there too much). Anyway, good times and I'm glad to be back.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:13 am

Glad to hear you had a good time, Forest. Thumbs Up I've only ever seen Yosemite from the air (the cross-country pilot was fond of pointing out various landmarks as we flew past them), but it's one of the national parks out West that I'd really like to visit.  Actually, I just want to spend more time in the outdoors in the West, period.  I visited Wyoming and Yellowstone when I was about 10 for a friend of my dad's wedding, and it was beautiful and amazing.  Every time I see mountains in the West, even if they're not the Rockies, they blow my mind.  Makes the Appalachians look like so many hills (which they pretty much are Laughing).
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:43 am

Sounds great, forest Very Happy As it happens, me and a friend are going to Californa in the middle of July, and we'll be spending a few days in Yosemite. I'll have to get a decent camera for the trip and post some pictures Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:57 am

Nice! It all depends how up you are for strenuous hiking, but I can't stress highly enough how fun it is to get up out of the valley in Yosemite and see some views from higher up. Then again, it all looks amazing from down below too. Then again, the higher meadows are supposed to be great as well, and far less crowded.
Sometimes you can see rock-climbers going up the cliff-faces, although usually you need binoculars to actually identify them. It's pretty insane that some people free-climb this.

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 El-Capitan-by-daveynin

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:13 am

Insane is the word pale  We won't be doing any climbing, but we'll definitely go hiking a lot. Looking forward to it Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:27 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Sounds great, forest Very Happy As it happens, me and a friend are going to Californa in the middle of July, and we'll be spending a few days in Yosemite. I'll have to get a decent camera for the trip and post some pictures Very Happy

Unless you really know photography I doubt you'll improve on a decent cell phone camera, possibly the opposite. More options means more things to screw up. So if you do buy a camera and don't know what you're doing, spend some time learning!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 am

Forest Shepherd wrote:Nice! It all depends how up you are for strenuous hiking, but I can't stress highly enough how fun it is to get up out of the valley in Yosemite and see some views from higher up. Then again, it all looks amazing from down below too. Then again, the higher meadows are supposed to be great as well, and far less crowded.
Sometimes you can see rock-climbers going up the cliff-faces, although usually you need binoculars to actually identify them. It's pretty insane that some people free-climb this.

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 El-Capitan-by-daveynin

Well, if Captain Kirk can climb it...

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:48 am

Thanks for reminding us just how atrocious that movie was.  Evil or Very Mad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:08 am

That looks terrible!
Not only was the scene lame in its dialogue and... well reason for existence, but the physics of that fall seemed far from acceptable for a sci-fi film.

Then of course there is the overall chunkiness of Captain Kirk to take into account.

Pictured, a Mountain-climber:
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 4531

Pictured, a chubby middle-aged actor:
The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 Star-Trek-V-10086650

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:17 am

I'm pretty sure Petty and I have discussed Star Trev V before, and while I won't defend everything about it, I will say that it is not the worst Star Trek movie. I like how it focuses on the friendship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. While most people cringe at the campfire scene, it always puts a little grin on my face.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:21 am

He didn't look nearly as bad as I remembered, but he wasn't acting at all like someone who had just climbed hundreds of feet up a cliff face.

The fact that Spock's arms weren't ripped off by the sudden deceleration of grabbing him inches from the ground...I shall pass over in sad resigned silence.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:22 am

I'll take it over Into Darkness any day. Shrugging

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 am

halfwise wrote:
Ringdrotten wrote:Sounds great, forest Very Happy As it happens, me and a friend are going to Californa in the middle of July, and we'll be spending a few days in Yosemite. I'll have to get a decent camera for the trip and post some pictures Very Happy

Unless you really know photography I doubt you'll improve on a decent cell phone camera, possibly the opposite. More options means more things to screw up. So if you do buy a camera and don't know what you're doing, spend some time learning!

The thing is, I don't have a decent cell phone camera Very Happy I'll not be getting anything expensive or fancy, just something that's easy to use and can take some decent photographs. I find it hard to believe there's no market for who aren't pros scratch

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:31 am

Yeah go for it Ringdrotten. There are plenty of resources online for finding an easy-to-use cameras that shouldn't be all that expensive. Just avoid gimmicks, that's my usual method when it comes to buying things.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:01 am

I'm pretty sure Petty and I have discussed Star Trev V before- Bungo

Quite likely- ST V is a terrible film, absolutely awful. It unfortunately just happens to have two of my all time favourite ST scenes in it  Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:37 pm

bungobaggins wrote:and while I won't defend everything about it, I will say that it is not the worst Star Trek movie.

So what is the worst in your opinion?
[My money's on III. Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon.... Rolling Eyes No ]

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 UJpDi The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 4 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:28 pm

David H wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:and while I won't defend everything about it, I will say that it is not the worst Star Trek movie.

So what is the worst in your opinion?
[My money's on III. Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon.... Rolling Eyes No ]

If I have to stick with the first six I'm going to say Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Sooooooo slooooooooow.

Although, III does have its moments. "I, have had, enough, of, you!"  :facepalm: 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Got to give some credit to Kirks "you Klingon bastard you killed my son!"

Couldnt find it on its own so skip to 10 seconds in.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:47 pm

The permed hair...the frilly macaroni blouse....what the hell were they thinking?  Crying or Very sad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Its the fashion of the future!  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:
halfwise wrote:

The thing is, I don't have a decent cell phone camera Very Happy I'll not be getting anything expensive or fancy, just something that's easy to use and can take some decent photographs. I find it hard to believe there's no market for who aren't pros scratch

Oh, okay. Look for an automatic camera with an optical zoom (5x) and a memory card. That's the only improvement you can make over a cell phone camera these days without actually reading books and buying lens sets. $50-$60 should be ample.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Its the fashion of the future!  Nod 

You're saying Liberace was ahead of his time?  scratch 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:55 pm

In more ways than one!  cyclops 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:31 pm

they are all better than po-faced Out of Darkness taking itself way too seriously. at least the originals had a tongue in cheek corny humour and a feel good factor. Thats the main reason I like Spock and Kirk, its heartwarming and theres chemistry between them all which is a treat to watch.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next