Mrs Figg
Norc
David H
halfwise
Ringdrotten
15 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by Norc Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:37 pm

yeah true, Nancy Drew Very Happy but i still feel, or at least felt, that guys had a bit of an advantage somehow..

don't get me wrong though, i enjoy travelling alone and just depending on myself, but i think it would be more fun to do it with someone, even though it may me false security.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Of course friends are more fun, but not always convenient, especially if sleep schedules don't match. Just don't wander alone in any place that has honor killings; that crap permeates society and increases the rape risk for anyone seen to violate the code.

But even in western societies women are justifiably intimidated by men.  The thing to understand is it's usually men being pushy about things which may lead to a sexual encounter.  If you have strict lines and give them a good tongue lashing if crossed they'll quickly realize they are going no where and back right off.  It's much better to refuse the feeling of intimidation in favor of being offended at their idiocy. If they seem salvageable you don't even have to walk away: men are actually easier to train than cats. Put them in their place then carry on like nothing happened.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:03 am

true true Nod
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:50 am

as Halfy says its all about being very aware of your surroundings, and who is around you, its important never to be surprised by people behind you, scope out dodgy characters and avoid them. so for example on trains you never sit in an empty carriage but its always safer to sit near other women or families, never walk around at night alone in a strange city, or if you do, go to well lit areas with lots of people about, its all common sense stuff, like, watch your drink being made before accepting it from anyone, dont hitch-hike, always have somewhere safe to sleep. Mostly though its good fun, and it enriches your life, people need to take risks to feel achievment in life, just safe risks.  Very Happy
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:08 am

One advantage that women travellers have over men is that in most parts of the world other women will look out for other women.  If you're in a strange place and you're not sure if it's OK or not, don't ever be shy about going up to a stranger and asking for help. Of course you should use some judgement about which stranger, but really almost anyone will do if it's a culture with any code of hospitality at all. If you're nice and modestly dressed, this works for almost anyone almost anywhere, but in general women are more protective of other women than men are of men.

Also, If I suddenly notice that I'm in an area with lots of men and no women at all, it's time to look closer at the situation. It may be perfectly safe, but it's time to know where the exits are. Too much testosterone in a small area can be volatile.... For a woman alone, I'd say just try to avoid all-male social situations on principle. (Don't go back to the ship with a sailor, or to the locker room with a football player for example. Evil or Very Mad ) But that's probably true everywhere, right?

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 UJpDi The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:50 am

Poor Norc.  All she did was mention she felt safer travelling with friends, and we all start loading her down with advice. She'll probably show up at one of our doors - all alone - whack us in the nose with a rolled newspaper and disappear again.  Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:46 am

i appreciate it ^^ you all care so much Very Happy although i must add that i am pretty dangerous Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:34 am

maybe its a good idea to be an expert in Krav Maga and just go everywhere without a care in the world  Cool 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:24 pm

krav maga?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Israeli martial art The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Nunch1ku

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:37 pm

oh.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 pm

I used to take the train back and fort from Oslo to Trondheim every now and then. The part over Dovre is really beautiful, but I have to admit I found it pretty tiring. Your brain tends to go a bit fussy after 6-7 hours of travel. Mine does anyway.

That's my interesting story. And I'm sticking with it.  Razz 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:57 pm

I've travelled that distance alot as well, and Dovre is very nice indeed Nod I actually prefer travelling by train, even though I save 3-4 hours if I go by plane. It's just alot more relaxing - I can read a book, watch a movie, eat half-decent food. Each to his own, though Smile

The road goes ever on and on - A Travel Thread - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm

i also prefer train, when i can. it's exotic.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:03 pm

I tried Krav Magna. they spend the first half hour totally wearing you out on exercises, then when it comes to actually practicing attack/defence moves, you're too tuckered out to actually hit someone. Makes sense I guess. But I didn't enjoy spending most of my time be converted into a sweat ball instead of learning something, so I quit.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 pm

you tried it?  affraid 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I don't recommend it unless you geek out on fitness. I just wanted to learn the moves, but you're too tired to process anything by the time you get there. Good moves, if only I could remember any of them.  Mad 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 am

tae kwon-do ftw!!!

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:23 am

I dont hold with travel- you can never be certain of the local buckie, you can't trust the food in some places it might even involve vegetables Mad and you are guaranteed to always meet foreigners- and worse when you are in someone elses country you become a foreigner!  Shocked Evil or Very Mad 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm sure Scotland would be a fairly nice place to visit if it weren't for all the dratted Scots scampering about.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 pm

I believe a certain historically-improvised but popular epic that came out in the mid 90s put it rather well.
"The problem with Scotland... Is it's full of Scots!"

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:38 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I dont hold with travel- you can never be certain of the local buckie, you can't trust the food in some places it might even involve vegetables Mad and you are guaranteed to always meet foreigners- and worse when you are in someone elses country you become a foreigner!  Shocked Evil or Very Mad 
Petty sounds like a drunk Ratty. Razz

“Beyond the Wild Wood comes the wild world,"said the Rat."And that's something that doesn't matter, either to you or to me. I've never been there, and I'm never going' nor you either, if you've got any sense at all.”

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:52 pm

if you want to travel to the Arctic this video will show you how to behave
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:I've travelled that distance alot as well, and Dovre is very nice indeed Nod I actually prefer travelling by train, even though I save 3-4 hours if I go by plane. It's just alot more relaxing - I can read a book, watch a movie, eat half-decent food. Each to his own, though Smile

Yeah, I guess I would tend to agree with that. Nod  I'd prefer driving for shorter distances though, you just have that much more freedom.

As for going to Trondheim, the plane is alright as it only takes about 40 minutes. Though there's at least an hour or two on each end as well as both Gardemoen and Værnes is so far out of town. And you spend your time going in and out of planes and buses.

I have driven too, though that is far more tiring again than the train. Though you can go at your own pace and stop when you feel like it.

Tried the night bus once... never again.

So, yeah, I'd agree the train is preferable. I guess I just find travelling those sort of distances a bit tiring in general. Though I'm not sure I agree about the food.

Both your plans sound more interesting than going back and forth to Trondheim though. Smile 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Two weeks? Shocked  Yeah, sorry about that.  Embarassed 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next