halfwise
Mrs Figg
Lancebloke
18 posters

Page 31 of 44 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 44  Next

Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [2]

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 21, 2015 3:35 pm

I keep talking about this, so why not post the quotes.

“I never meant her harm,” Arianne insisted. “If Hotah had not interfered …”

“… you would have crowned Myrcella queen, to raise a rebellion against her brother. Instead of an ear, she would have lost her life.

“Only if we lost.”

“If? The word is when. Dorne is the least populous of the Seven Kingdoms. It pleased the Young Dragon to make all our armies larger when he wrote that book of his, so as to make his conquest that much more glorious, and it has pleased us to water the seed he planted and let our foes think us more powerful than we are, but a princess ought to know the truth. Valor is a poor substitute for numbers. Dorne cannot hope to win a war against the Iron Throne, not alone. And yet that may well be what you have given us. Are you proud?” The prince did not allow her time to answer.

Meanwhile in a litter across the narrow sea, we join Tyrion and Illyrio drinking their way across Essos.

It is warmer down in Dorne. Perhaps he should have sailed that way.”

Tyrion was beginning to suspect that a certain freckled washerwoman knew more of the Common Speech than she pretended. “My niece Myrcella is in Dorne, as it happens. And I have half a mind to make her a queen.”

Illyrio smiled as his serving men spooned out bowls of black cherries in sweet cream for them both. “What has this poor child done to you that you would wish her dead?”

“Even a kinslayer is not required to slay all his kin,” said Tyrion, wounded. “Queen her, I said. Not kill her.”

The cheesemonger spooned up cherries. “In Volantis they use a coin with a crown on one face and a death’s-head on the other. Yet it is the same coin. To queen her is to kill her. Dorne might rise for Myrcella, but Dorne alone is not enough. If you are as clever as our friend insists, you know this.”

Tyrion looked at the fat man with new interest. He is right on both counts. To queen her is to kill her. And I knew that.

Always found that interesting.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

God, I was so low on everything aSoIaF after last weeks episode, but remembering how good these two chapters are was a proper weight off my shoulders. At least I still have faith in George.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon May 25, 2015 9:49 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Tumblr_inline_nox61cyum01rku3fs_540

And you wonder why people call him St. Tyrion. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon May 25, 2015 9:50 pm

http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/116816249708/the-book-snob-glossary

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 pm

I liked this episode. it was pretty amazing.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:18 pm

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Grrm10

In the words of George RR Martin.. Ah... okay.

Nah, I can see where you're coming from. There were some clunky scenes throughout, but there were consistently better senes to alliviate them. And there was a couple of scenes towards the end that really captured a strong feeling. As a stand alone episode it might have been the best this season.

There are still major problems with logical incosistencies both on micro and macro level, and there are a lot of things I'm still struggling with, but I thought it was ok. Smile (Which you will know is high praise from me. Wink)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Now back to the snarking. Nod

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:22 pm

Someone I've been following the opinion of the show from the start of this season has consistently been pointing out "Sam and Gilly are sleeping together. And everyone knows. That's what we are meant infer, right?"

And now.. they are. cheers

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 pm

And RIP Littlefingers brothel, the location that allowed them to include so much gratuitous nudity of so many very necessary and important scenes. One of the most important locations in the Seven Kingdoms.

I couldn't help but laugh at the majestic soundtrack that were willing us to be sad at the loss of this great set location. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Oh, and the disapearing cock merchant. It was like.. they didn't mean for us to remember or take that storyline seriously or something.. Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Oh, and Olly being so angry he needed a full 4 reaction shots when Jon was leaving. Very Happy

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Tumblr_noyln67dph1uu9ny2o4_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Tumblr_noyln67dph1uu9ny2o2_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Tumblr_noyln67dph1uu9ny2o1_500
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 Tumblr_noyln67dph1uu9ny2o3_500
http://ollynodsatthings.tumblr.com/post/119936278782/ollys-anger-was-so-great-that-we-needed-4

We know who the most important person at the wall is. Nod (They've only pointed it out 20-30 times. Rolling Eyes)

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Oh, and David Benioff on why they had Tyrion meeting Dany meet this early.

Creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/24/game-thrones-tyrion-dany-meet/article_2201073

It's like.. that explains a lot or something.. Rolling Eyes

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm

That's it. That's all I got. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 pm

First casting calls for season 6, which are quite interesting. (Although, I struggle to get excited considering the mess season 5 will leave us in.)

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

Spoiler:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Oh, there's more.

A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 CF8bGZSUMAAn7a5
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 CF8bGVMUgAATSY5
A Song of Ice and Fire [2] - Page 31 CF8bGZKVEAEtDCp
https://twitter.com/gamofphoto/status/603230673269166080/photo/1

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm

but still. it was an epic episode cheers definitely the best one of the season. yeah the last few minutes were woohoo! Laughing Shocked Twisted Evil never saw that one coming. Laughing OMG Ser Jorahs face I love you and bloody TheonBetrayingGreyjoy Mad he needs a slap for doing that.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Rolling Eyes It was.. ok. Laughing

But I can see why you liked it. Smile

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 27, 2015 1:59 pm

I thought this was pretty spot on..

Game of Thrones is the world seen as from Cersei's perspective! [with the obvious exception of St. Tyrion]. Jaime is a dope who should really listen to Cersei. Kevan is a sexist. Marg is a scheming whore out to get her. Stannis is a Dark Lord and Mel is an evil slut who controls him. The IB cannot be reasonably paid back, and were conspiring against her before she couldn't pay them back anyway. The Dornish are all evil stereotypes. Sansa is an idiot who never learns.

Razz

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm

D&D have the same concepts of revenge as the characters GRRM wants us to realise are wrong to have.

Yup, pretty much.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 28, 2015 12:55 am

Themes are for eighth-grade book reports — David Benioff

It makes more and more sense.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu May 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Season five is still very much within the books for the most part. The very first scene of the season and the very last scene of the season are book scenes. It’s more season six that’s going to be diverging a bit. — David Benioff

Ah... okay.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri May 29, 2015 4:19 am

So based on the preview as well as the title, it looks like episode eight will cover all th events at Hardhome. Presumably the thing with Jon will before the end of the season, which was the ADWD cliffhanger, but whether they'll go further than that is an open question. There's a lot of ground still to cover for Dany and especially for Arya. Is Cat of the Canals being cut? We already know that "Mercy" will be making an appearance and I dunno that there's room for both. Should be a mad dash to the end. For all of the changes for the worse this season, I still think that they're going to give some meaningful conclusion to this season, which would represent an improvement over AFFC/ADWD's non-ending.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 30, 2015 4:13 pm

The episode title and details for the last episode might give some hints.

Last episode name and very general description:

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Hardhome seems such an indulgence. A non-canon battle that drive the plot how? Jon has to return to Castle Black for you know what, so how exactly will it change or advance the story?

I think there has been publicity photos of Arya in a Cat of the Canals like outfit though, so I'm guessing that's what comes next. Of course they might very well combine it with Mercy, as there's not much time left to tell her story.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sat May 30, 2015 7:22 pm

I think this review gets pretty close to the heart of the problems the show has.

Yes, of course, Benioff and Weiss don’t know how to deal with rape in a meaningful manner. But they don’t know how to deal with anything in a meaningful manner either. Have you seen the way they deal with death, murder, revenge, punishment, war, love, sex, religion, faith, honor, duty, emotions, slavery, responsibility, parenthood, poverty? Not a bit better than with rape. They are still to meet a sensitive issue they understand, let alone address in a competent way.

When you’re repetitive in a short form of fiction, it’s clumsy and silly. When you’re repetitive in a huge saga, it can be tiring and draining. But when you’re repetitive in an adaptation of the source material that is anything but repetitive, it’s outright pathetic. And when the repetition includes sensitive matters like violence, it’s also insulting and tasteless.

Benioff and Weiss are charlatans, first and foremost. It is, I believe, wrong to ascribe sexism or misogyny to them. Like countless talentless writers, they are even less competent when they write characters of the opposite gender, and generally, characters whose experience they didn’t share personally. And, all in all, they’re no fundamentally better when dealing with male characters and their arcs. Just recall the ridiculous Jon arc in season 2, when his brilliant mission with Qhorin in the books was completely ruined just so he can flirt with and be dumb in comparison to Ygritte. Just look at TV Stannis and everything that happened to him whenever his scenes strayed away from the source material.

Benioff and Weiss endless incompetence suggests privileged backgrounds, which are typically associated with political correctness. Their rare but insightful political comments seem to point in the direction of progressivism as their real-life mindset. All of which could mean that they are not consciously mistreating women or homosexuals (or almost any other group, really) in their writing, but it is the product of their drastic lack of skill and craft.

Perhaps they are not Tywins of the House HBO, in that there is not some dark mission behind their missteps and failings. Perhaps they’re also not Ramsays, because they’re not even enjoying all the damage they’ve inflicted. Perhaps they really are like Theon Greyjoy when he, per some wild chance, took Winterfell under his command: murdering little children, just so they can appear competent and to hide their shortcomings.
https://pawntoplayer.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/unbroken-unbent-unbroken-unbowed-unbowed-unbent/

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 44 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 44  Next