Mrs Figg
malickfan
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [8] - Page 35 Empty Re: Doctor Who [8]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:06 pm

As I have been avoiding spoilers I dont know about Clara- but as far as official info is concerned she is the companion for this series and the next.

I think they might be hoping for a Sarah Jane style effect- where she was actually the last companion of a previous Doctor (3rd) but is remembered best for being the companion of the following one, 4.

I think 11 will always be remembered companion wise for the Ponds and Clara will come to be thought of as 12's companion.

'I wonder if many of them are reboots of classic Who characters and races?'- Forest

Well as Malick will now know having watched the Pertwee era- dinos in front of Westminster is certainly reminiscent of a (in)famous Pertwee era story.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 pm

This is probably old news to everyone, but seems they are at least starting to explore 'The War Doctor' in other material, a novel is scheduled to be released on July 31st:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1849908486/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=1849908486&linkCode=as2&tag=dowhtv-21

It's going to be interesting to see how this is received, I'm certainly intrigued to see how Dark they may go with the character, beyond sporting a beard and a tired worn down indifference to everything, Hurt's role in the Special doesn't give a writer that much to base his early years on.

I may give this one a spin.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:16 pm

There is certianly the time for it in the story- in the Night of the Doctor when 8 regens the face of the War Doctor we see is that of a young John Hurt.
By the time we meet him in Day he has been fighting the Time War for long enough to have got old, which takes 11 about a thousand years to physically age.
And War was fighting in a Time War so who knows how long it felt like it was lasting for!

I often think people forget this when they complain the War Doctor hasn't done enough to justify 9,10 and 11 refusing to acknowledge him- but all that changes in Day is the ending of the War. War Doctor still did all the things he had to do in a desperate war, for centuries at least right up to the end point. I'd bet there is plenty to regret beforehand.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:There is certianly the time for it in the story- in the Night of the Doctor when 8 regens the face of the War Doctor we see is that of a young John Hurt.
By the time we meet him in Day he has been fighting the Time War for long enough to have got old, which takes 11 about a thousand years to physically age.
And War was fighting in a Time War so who knows how long it felt like it was lasting for!

I often think people forget this when they complain the War Doctor hasn't done enough to justify 9,10 and 11 refusing to acknowledge him- but all that changes in Day is the ending of the War. War Doctor still did all the things he had to do in a desperate war, for centuries at least right up to the end point. I'd bet there is plenty to regret beforehand.

That's kinda the point I was making, we know next to nothing about the events leading up to his role in 'Day', with total creative freedom the writers could do alot with 'War', but equally he's a blank slate do the Beeb might not want to put any emphasis on this incarantion.

Might turn out to be another 8 (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the rights to 'War' were sold to Big Finish as well, in my understanding the BBC didn't have any idea what to do with 8 so farmed him out to other companies)

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Well its always been the case in Who that a lot of stuff goes on off screen in other medium between episodes and series.
In classic Who it took the form of comics and novels. Its the same now with net episodes and games added in.
There is already a book covering periods of the Siege of Trenzalore we never saw on screen.
And even in episodes we occasionally see it, such as when the Doctor's time line is unwinding and he finds himself on the TARDIS a week earlier when he and Amy were off to Space Florida- something we never saw.

I for one wouldn't mind BF getting the rights to tell War's stories, seems fitting as they told 99.9% of 8's and Moffat canonised those with the name checks to 8's BF companions in Night.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:42 pm

I had a torrent-fest last night and downloaded good quality versions of Doctor Who seasons 12, 13, and 14. Needless to say I'm set for quite a while!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Oooh so your right at the start of the Baker years. It will be interesting to see what you make of the shifts of style during his run.
One of my favourites of the early stories of his you have to look forward to is Ark in Space, not the least impressive thing about it is how Baker assumes the role so naturally in only his second episode.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:19 am

It was ironic that I got that particular episode. I was reading off the titles to my sister while we were watching the abysmally horrible "The 100" with my niece, the plot of which revolves around the presence of an "Ark" of survivors in orbit around earth.

I haven't actually seen any of 2 or 3 yet, I'm sorry to say. I've really enjoyed the fourth doctor so far, and I just want to continue with what I like for now. I'm sure that I will get some earlier stuff as well, but for now a Robot awaits!

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 pm

I wonder why Tom Baker is still the Doctor
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:19 pm

He was the longest serving Doctor on television at the height of Classic series popularity.

Also Who in the US was mainly shown on PBS I believe- and they just kept looping the 4th Doctor years. So fo r a certain generation of US Who fans Baker was the Doctor.

I dont think you'd like it though Figg- Sarah Jane is always being captured, kidnapped, made prisoner and physically threatened.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:34 pm

that was what like 30 years ago? I can cope.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Also Who in the US was mainly shown on PBS I believe- and they just kept looping the 4th Doctor years. So fo r a certain generation of US Who fans Baker was the Doctor.

Basically true. Baker was mostly the Doctor I saw, though there was a lot of Davison too. Then occasionally they'd throw in some Pertwee, which was always a bit jarring I thought at the time.

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:03 pm

And of course he was just really good in the role which helped. And instantly recognisable with the huge curly hair, the massive toothy grin and the long scarf.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Some hopeful hints that more of the missing episodes might resurface-

'Missing episode hunter Philip Morris, who was responsible for last year's discovery of 9 previously missing episodes...taking part in an online question-and-answer session. Asked to say whether or not he had found any further episodes, Morris told the group: a tricky one to answer. And fans will just want a yes or no haven't you or have you. But its complex all I can say is the wind is blowing the right way be patient.'- Gallifrey Base

And in other Who news the BBC Annual Report has been published revealing that-

'Doctor Who The Day of the Doctor was the most watched drama on BBC Television last year, with an average of 12.8 million viewing.
The figures are confirmed in the BBC Annual Report published today, which also reveals that 3.2 million requested the 50th Anniversary episode on iPlayer.
Doctor Who is listed as one of the global highlights of the year with the Doctor Who Special being shown on TV in 98 countries; , with 3D screenings in 23 countries; broadcast in 15 languages; and selling 649,138 cinema tickets in 25 countries.'

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:33 pm

I remember reading a rumour last year the some, or all of 'Marco Polo' was found, as a big Hartnell fan, fingers crossed!

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Yeah Marco Polo would be high on my list of missing episodes Id hope to be found.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

now if ONLY they would film these with Tennant and Smith!
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:16 pm

what the heck! from the Radio Times

Two weeks after five unseen Doctor Who series 8 scripts first emerged on the internet, and six days after video of Peter Capaldi's first episode appeared online, BBC Worldwide are fighting to stop further episodes from emerging.

In a statement, the BBC's commercial arm confirmed that five scripts and six unfinished episodes had been left on a "publicly accessible FTP site," and that "while there is still a risk that this leak will result in more of this content emerging, so far the impact has been contained to a limited amount of this material."

Although a rough cut of Series 8 episode one leaked in its entirety,  Shocked  thus far pirates have been frustrated in their attempts to download the other five beyond a few frames, believed to be from episode two. BBC Worldwide put this down to "a combination of fans efforts and the plan that we put in place using new technology and internal manpower to limit any illegal activity."

They gave special thanks to "fansites and Doctor Who devotee" for "actively protecting the programme". Following the leak, fans campaigned to stop spoilers from the new series spreading on social media by using the hashtag #keepmespoilerfree.

Noting that "disciplinary action" had been taken in light of the incident, the statement finished with another apology: "Our sincere apologies again to Steven Moffat, the cast and production team who toil long hours to make the show in Cardiff, the BBC, and of course the fans who expect so much better."
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Yeah that episode has been available for a while- but its a rough cut, in black and white and gaps where the cgi needs to go and bad sound- in other words not worth ruining the episode by watching a crappy early version of it mean as rough guide for where to put ad breaks and so they have the scripts to translate for the latino market.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 am

From an interview with Moffat in this months SFX-

“I think it feels more serious,” he reveals in the new issue of SFX. “One of the watchwords we have this year is there are consequences for choosing to live like this. It’s not a fairytale. If you have people back home, if you run away it’s going to have an effect on them. And it’s not necessarily always going to be lovely. And does the Doctor make you better?
“He’s not as immediately approachable and he’s not necessarily looking for your approval. I would like to restore the sense that when he says ‘Wait here, I’ll be back’ you really hope he’ll be back, but you’re not absolutely convinced… What he’s not doing is reassuring you very much.”

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:33 pm

'Big Finish Productions have announced they are to dramatise the Russell T Davies Doctor Who novel, Damaged Goods.
The Virgin book was originally published in 1996 as part of the New Adventures range.
Davies, who is a fan of Big Finish, expressed his pleasure that the story is being revisited, 'I’ve always been a huge fan of Big Finish, since long before I took the big chair on Doctor Who. So when they asked if they could adapt Damaged Goods… well, to be honest, I asked them what took so long!'
The story stars Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor, accompanied in his travels by companions Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester.
Jonathan Morris spoke of his excitment at being asked to adapt the novel It was genuinely thrilling to be asked to adapt Damaged Goods. An honour, and a great responsibility to do justice to Russell’s extraordinary novel and to not disappoint fans of the New Adventures. I pulled out all the stops to capture the spirit of the novel, the character and Russell’s voice, and the end result is undoubtedly the best Big Finish script I’ve worked on.'- Gallifrey Base

Ive not read the book so this will be interesting to see how Davies wrote for the 7th Doctor, who is quite a different kettle of fish from the Doctor Davies himself created.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:02 pm

wow thats brilliant news  Razz 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm

A plaque honouring the first producer of Doctor Who, Verity Lambert, has been unveiled at London's Riverside studios, by the Doctor Who Appreciation Society
Verity Lambert was Doctor Who's first producer and the first female drama producer at BBC Television.
The plaque honouring Lambert was unveiled by Doctor Who's first director Waris Hussein, in a ceremony attended by the two surviving members of the original TARDIS team, William Russell and Carole Ann Ford. - Gallifrey Base

Doctor Who [8] - Page 35 Imagephp_zpsd562a57a

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:11 am

Hey Petty Very Happy
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/07/24/91287-peter-jackson-likely-to-direct-doctor-who/
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next