Mrs Figg
malickfan
Pettytyrant101
20 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Doctor Who [8] - Page 23 Empty Re: Doctor Who [8]

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:55 am

It's just from a couple of months ago, but, still..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Wouldn't casting a woman as the Master raise the same kind of objections as casting a woman in hte role of the Doctor? - Blue

Depends whose objections they are- some folk are simply opposed to the idea the Time Lords can change sex, but I think most fans are fine with that.
The Master is an occasional returning villian, so even if someone didn't like it being a woman it wont be on screen too long anyway, whereas if the Doctor was a women your stuck with it every episode.
And the main worries about changing the Doctors sex is how it would effect interactions, not just with companions but also with certain historical periods (and sadly present day ones still too)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Hm, well, I would say it would be a bit strange as in every example of regenerations the show has showed so far the characters have kept to their original gender. It just seems a bit pointless. Why not make an interesting female character instead of making a male one female against seemingly the way of the show since it's inception?  Shrugging 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Well its been long established that they can change sex, we've just never seen it happen.
When Romana I regenerated into Romana II she went through several physical choices that weren't just occasionally another sex but entire other species.
And the Sisterhood can control regeneration (they offer 8 amongst other choices, 'man or woman') and in the Doctor's Wife 11 mentions that his old friend the Corsair had also been both male and female.
So the concept is not new or introduced, the shows just never gone there beyond referencing that it happens.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:55 pm

The Romana regeneration wasn't on screen, was it? Where was that reference?

But I was unaware of that thing in the Doctors Wife. So obviously Moffat either put that reference in, or sanctioned it. So the idea isn't foreign to him.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:04 pm

It was sort of onscreen- happened in the TARDIS- she just went offscreen and kept coming back in different guises and the Doctor not liking them and telling her to change again.
It was also the first time it was established Time Lords can look like other people- as Romana eventually settled on the appearance of a Princess from an episode in the previous series (played obviously by the same actress, Lala Ward)- this might come back up again in regards to the 12th Doctor looking like the the Roman from Pompey.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 pm

That was a rather silly scene though, necessitated by the fact that Mary Tamm didn't show up to film it. (And she didn't turn into a man. Just a lot of different women.)

That Moffat either added or sanctioned the reference in the Doctors Wife does seem to hint at him contemplating the idea though.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

At least one of the alien looks she tries out sounds male if memory serves  Shrugging And if you can change species then changing sex within a species shouldnt be a problem.

And you cant discount it on the basis its a silly scene or most of Who wouldnt count!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Laughing True. That one is particularily silly though.

There's one that looks a bit different, though I'm not sure if that is just the garb and it's the same species as the others or not.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:28 am

Too Silly?
Doctor Who [8] - Page 23 Graham_Chapman_Colonel_TooSilly%5B4%5D

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Very Happy Who is never silly, but it is occasionally 9 OK often) deranged and eccentric   Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Very Happy Who is never silly, but it is occasionally 9 OK often) deranged and eccentric   Nod

I suspect that typo was a Freudian slip. K9 was silly. :carrot: 
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Evil or Very Mad 

K-9 was endearing! I was a big K-9 fan when I was a kid.
Its his rapport with the cast sells it, I think having K-9's voice, effect and all performed live on set meant they could genuinely feed off each others performances in a way talking to a tennis ball on a stick never will.

And the never broadcast Doctor Who Xmas Wish- never broadcast for obvious reasons!  cyclops 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm not sure anyone loved the K9 design, but, Petty said, John Leesons, the voice actor in question, interactions with the cast made him quite an appealing character in practise.

And I love that Christmas wish bit.  Very Happy

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Oh, and as for too silly. Laughing  It's the first sceene in this episode, so make your own minds up.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 am

I like that scene, its fun and quirky.

Gatiss has been talking about Capaldi's take on the Doctor whilst at a Who conference in Brazil-

'The Twelfth Doctor will be "perhaps a little more fierce and less immediately knowable" than his predecessors, David Tennant and Matt Smith.'

Interesting but I hope they dont take it too far, as they did with the 6th Doctor and make him so unlike his predecessors people were not comfortable with him.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm still not sure how Capaldi will play it-we've heard 'wiser, fiercer, madder, older, crazier, bolder etc' thrown around for the last few months, and Capaldi has such a broad range it's hard to say how they approach the character.

I'm not a Whovian by any means, but it seems to me that many of the prior actors were cast to play a pre-determined type-Eccleston the Gritty down to Earth Warrior (look at his back catalog, he's definitely a actors actor), Mcoy the comedic loon (well, that's what I guess he's like), Hartnell the authoritative, yet mysterious grandfather.

Capaldi was definitely a break from New Who tradition, I'm still trying to work out why the 'suits' agreed to do it.

Then again he's Scottish so naturally some of us are wary  Razz 

And I've started Pertwee (only watched the first 1 1/2 stories).

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I like that scene, its fun and quirky.

Yeah, I don't have any major problems with it. But it's good to remember it was written as a crisis solution when Mary Tamm turned down appearing for an actual regeneration scene.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am

Anyway, finished product.

Doctor Who [8] - Page 23 Tumblr_lyc0vdmB5J1qcwhkeo1_400

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:56 pm

malickfan wrote:I'm still not sure how Capaldi will play it-we've heard 'wiser, fiercer, madder, older, crazier, bolder etc' thrown around for the last few months, and Capaldi has such a broad range it's hard to say how they approach the character.

I'm not a Whovian by any means, but it seems to me that many of the prior actors were cast to play a pre-determined type-Eccleston the Gritty  down to Earth Warrior (look at his back catalog, he's definitely a actors actor), Mcoy the comedic loon (well, that's what I guess he's like), Hartnell the authoritative, yet mysterious grandfather.

Capaldi was definitely a break from New Who tradition, I'm still trying to work out why the 'suits' agreed to do it.

Then again he's Scottish so naturally some of us are wary  Razz 

And I've started Pertwee (only watched the first 1 1/2 stories).

I think when you cast Capaldi you are not getting cozy and comfortable otherwise they would have chosen someone like Jim Broadbent, obviously Capaldi can do nicey nicey but it doesnt really sit well with that starey eyed face of his. He wont be gritty like Eccy, he wont be dashing like Tennant, he wont be a Young fogey like Smith, I imagine a dangerous psycho version of Tom Baker who can switch from eccentric uncle to madman in the blink of an eye.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:09 pm

On this very subject-

'Doctor Who show runner Steven Moffat has revealed that the fact that new Time Lord, Peter Capaldi, is Scottish will help to enhance his character.
“Scottishness. I think that’s the main thing,
“I mean watching him, and I just watched episode two actually, you don’t go around thinking this is an older bloke as the Doctor, particularly. But then I don’t know if I ever thought Matt Smith was young? You just think my god, he’s Scottish!”
“Doomed dialogue doesn’t half sound great in Scottish. You say the world’s about to end in a Scottish accent, and you really believe it!”

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

oh god  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Crabbit in the TARDIS!  Twisted Evil 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm

No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Sofa 

scratch 

Scottishness is so vague it could mean anything- Extremely Crabbit drunken Suspect 

On another note this video is kinda rough, but it does demonstrate even a few more shots of the Classic Doctors in the 50th wouldn't have been you know that taxing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fa9-Jmoi70

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next