Amarië
halfwise
Eldorion
Sinister71
bungobaggins
14 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Official Forumshire Filmmakers Commentary Drinking Game: AUJ EE Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Forumshire Filmmakers Commentary Drinking Game: AUJ EE Edition

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Would that be the same devoted fan and expert Phillipa Boyens who hasn't read The Silmarillion in 26 years- Malick

Nod Yup thats our expert!

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

The Official Forumshire Filmmakers Commentary Drinking Game: AUJ EE Edition - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Forumshire Filmmakers Commentary Drinking Game: AUJ EE Edition

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm

If she's a Tolkien expert then I'm a tapdancing Elephant called Bernard.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:42 pm

I dont think I will need to be buying you oversized tapshoes any time soon Malick Very Happy 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm

malickfan wrote:I often wonder who has ACTUALLY read The History Of The Hobbit...
Definitely not PJ! Very Happy And probably not Boyens either. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 am

Eldorion wrote:
malickfan wrote:I often wonder who has ACTUALLY read The History Of The Hobbit...
Definitely not PJ! Very Happy And probably not Boyens either. Wink
Why should they read THAT? They heard the synopsis of the hobbit, second hand, from someone who never read the book... That's good enough isn't it? :roll:Who needs history, we need to move forward and pioneer technology Wink
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:49 am

22. Tolkien planned on rewriting the Hobbit anyways to match the tone of LOTR since it was his life's work

I put 22 but I think we have a couple repeats... course if your drinking it wont matter anyways Wink

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 am

This game will kill you!

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:54 am

The rules so far, compiled for ease of drinking Nod 

Take a drink when:

1. Someone says the word "appendices."
2. Someone makes a self-congratulatory comment.
3. Boyens corrects Jackson on something.
4. Someone starts grasping at straws.
5. Someone starts making up excuses/pointing fingers.
6. Jackson says "Shmowguh."
7. Boyens gushes over Azog.
8. Someone claims that what was in the book just wouldn't work on screen.
9. Boyens says something about feminine energy.
10. Someone gushes about the New Zealand landscape.
11. computer generation and motion capture are more reliable and cost effective than practical effects
12. Every time someone compares AUJ to the LOTR films. Take two drinks if they say "this once in a lifetime experienced ended up happening twice."
13. Every time someone refers to the bonding among cast and crew.
14. Every time somebody mentions the need to add extra material that wasn't in the book, for any reason.
15. Every time someone talks about giving the dwarves distinctive identities so that they don't just blur together.
16. Everytime Boyens gives the impresssion she's the biggest and most knowledgeable Tolkien fan in the world only to be proven wrong.
17. Everytime they compare the book to Lord of the Rings book and try to defend the changes by the (apparently much much longer and more dramatic than I remember) 1960 Hobbit.
18. Everytime something in the commentary makes you agree with Christopher Tolkien's stance on further films.
19. Anytime PJ starts gloating about shooting in 48 fps/ talks about his new equipment.
20. Anytime you feel like throwing your shoes through the screen...best just remove them to be on the save side.
21. Everythime they try to justify 48fps by saying its the 'Next Big Thing'.
22. Everytime James Cameron says Jackson is 'very brave'.
23. Everytime female energy is mentioned.
24. Everytime they justify painting Mirkwood like Ronald Macdonalds knickers, because the new technology cant do normal natural colours so everything has to be Painted a shit shade of bright pink and dayglo green which still looks shit after post production.
25. Tolkien planned on rewriting the Hobbit anyways to match the tone of LOTR since it was his life's work

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Loving them. Althoguh someone are mentioned twice, like female energy.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Loving them. Althoguh someone are mentioned twice, like female energy.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Things are mentioned twice from time to time Nod

The Official Forumshire Filmmakers Commentary Drinking Game: AUJ EE Edition - Page 2 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:05 pm

26.  Everytime they justify dramatic and totally shit design changes of well loved characters by saying words like 'update', 'modern audience', or 'fresh'.

27.  Everytime utterly dismal publicity shots come out. half baked merchandizing, and cheap everything else.

28. Everytime they promote the EE with 15 extra minutes of crap, and vlogs we all watched before.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:13 pm

I actually am very disappointed with my own negativity, I sometimes wonder if I am imagining it, but then I realize I was disappointed and pissed off from the moment I clapped eyes on the design of the Dwarves. I just knew this wasnt Tolkien. I actually quite enjoyed watching the film the first time, but it was just forgettable fluff that turned into disdain as I looked at it more deeply, and saw just how wretched it really was in comparison to LOTR my favourite films of all time, that will never change, but the comparison is hard to take.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm

I see what you did there, Norc. Very Happy Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Goooood, Mrs Figg. Let the crabbit flow through you... Twisted Evil

{{{I'm still trying to approach DOS with a more ... positive outlook, but that means ignoring a lot of stuff, which I'm not really succeeding at. But I am going to do my best to find something I enjoy in the film the first time I watch it. But I'm also looking forward to writing another gigantic review of it, so I guess I have mixed feelings. Laughing}}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:12 pm

We will quickly be too drunk to remember any of the 30 or so things we are supposed to be drinking for, so I guess we'll just end up drinking every time something in the appendices/commentaries annoys us.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:28 pm

um can I drink cranberry juice instead? Embarassed 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Eldorion wrote:Goooood, Mrs Figg.  Let the crabbit flow through you... Twisted Evil

{{{I'm still trying to approach DOS with a more ... positive outlook, but that means ignoring a lot of stuff, which I'm not really succeeding at.  But I am going to do my best to find something I enjoy in the film the first time I watch it.  But I'm also looking forward to writing another gigantic review of it, so I guess I have mixed feelings. Laughing}}}
I feel the same Eldo. I'm wanting to find positive things in DOS its just hard when you look at all the deliberate drastic changes that are being made for no good reason. I don't see a single change Jackson made that is necessary. I could see minor changes to spice things up, or add some suspense. Stuff like making Thorin arrive late on his own, or the dwarfs all coming in at once in Trollshaws. Stuff like that makes some sense, but most of the changes Jackson has made are done simply to change the story into something its not for the sake of Jackson wanting to tell his own story as apposed to telling Tolkien's.

I really would love to enjoy the film and not have to think about the way the book was. But my mind just doesn't work that way I guess. I hear Hobbit I expect to see the events from the book. Being 3 films NOTHING should be left out N.O.T.H.I.N.G. yet Jackson has left elements of the book out and inserted his own made up fan fiction material into it. I might respect the films more if they had included everything and just added to them but not so

I'll just wait and see and hopefully the second film will be better than the first
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:um can I drink cranberry juice instead? Embarassed 
as long as its a mixer Figgs everyone's gotta drink LOL
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
I'll just wait and see and hopefully the second film will be better than the first
Razz drunken lol! Banghead Moon :facepalm: Hurr durr :carrot: F You Handbag 

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Optional Rule: Take a drink for every time you have to take two drinks for a repeated rule. drunken cyclops 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Eldorion wrote:Goooood, Mrs Figg.  Let the crabbit flow through you... Twisted Evil

{{{I'm still trying to approach DOS with a more ... positive outlook, but that means ignoring a lot of stuff, which I'm not really succeeding at.  But I am going to do my best to find something I enjoy in the film the first time I watch it.  But I'm also looking forward to writing another gigantic review of it, so I guess I have mixed feelings. Laughing}}}
At this point I wish I could have a positive attitude going forward. Another part of me just wishes I could get over it all and not pay attention to it, not see it in the theater. Well, I know that isn't going to happen, but this will be the first time I plan to go to the theater armed with pen and note-pad so I can critique it properly on my own. I've never tried my hand at film criticism, but I feel like I'll have a lot to say with this one.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:00 pm

I think to properly critique these films you have to do what Petty does: get the DVD so you can go through it in small bits to catch every detail. There's just too many things going wrong to catch in one sitting.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't plan to pick out every little detail, because, personally, I don't feel like that makes for fair film criticism, and it's something I don't really see reviewers and critics that I respect partake in. Shrugging 

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:08 pm

I don't really feel the need for the films to include every last detail from the book, I just wish that they worked better on their own terms.  I think one of the big reasons that AUJ didn't work that well is because PJ tried to include way too much.  Whether it was his own material or taken from Tolkien almost doesn't matter.  It just killed the pacing and any sense of momentum.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next