Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
24 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

All things sporting - Page 38 Empty Re: All things sporting

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 am

I typed up a rant in response/explanation, but I feel bad about ranting so I've spoilered it. I decided not to delete it outright though since I thought Petty might appreciate more crabbitness on the forum. Razz

Spoiler:
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 am

Really couldn't have said it any better Eldo. I actually do get more bugged by Americans attacking soccer over football than everywhere-elsians attacking football over soccer. But both still bug me.

you forgot to mention handegg as well, I hate when they call it that.

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 am

I was trying to allude to that in the first point on the list but I didn't actually want to type the word. Laughing

I was recently introduced to "divegrass" as an alternate term for soccer in response to "handegg" given the prevalence of diving. I usually try to avoid saying that though since I'm sure it would bug some people as much as handegg bugs me. I'm with you about disliking soccer-bashers; I'd like to think most of my fellow American football fans are more mature than that.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 am

Wishful thinking Eldo... If only it were true.
Sad

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 am

Yeah, I know ... I've been to Philly. Sad

{{{Sorry, Philly fans. Embarassed Razz }}}
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:21 am

I'm truly sorry

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Good answer. Very Happy

Reminds me of a little old lady I used to look after who was given a test for dementia.
Examiner began by asking her "can you count to 10?"
To which she replied, ""Yes." Very Happy

haha, brilliant.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 am

In reponse to Eldo {{{ Mad }}}

Spoiler:

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am

Okay bro
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 am

That banner is vile! Mad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:26 am

Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:45 am

I fear Eldo my stunning summing up of American Football may have snapped your mind! Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 am

YOU SNEAKY BASTARD! WHAT HAPPENED TO FORMUSHIRE!!!!! YOU COULD AT LEAST GIVE IT A MORE CORRECT ADVERT INCLUDING SHERLOCK, WHO, STAR WARS, HP, TH, LOTR, AND WHAT NOT!
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:52 am

Forumshire? What's that? This is Footballshire. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:29 pm

and you call it football... :facepalm:
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 pm

For a moment I was really annoyed that there was adds on the site. What's those silly helmets got to do with football? And the grass on the field where the padded men run is not the right type or length or colour. Nope, not happy.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Plenty happy over here

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 pm

My man.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm

As always

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Alright, here's my long-awaited (lol) response to Petty's post that supposedly broke my brain. Very Happy

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Stupid is strong, lets say lacking in any imagnation when it comes to names. Ive always thought 'Land Grabbing Bastards' was a good name for it myself. Twisted Evil

See my earlier post about "divegrass".

Well, it does start and stop all the time- there are way to many subs on the bench- hell by the end of a game its a different team out there than at the start!
And whilst there may be historic reasons for it stopping all the time- its bloody boring nonetheless when it does. Games end up taking forever and I lose the will to live before the third quarter. And I just cant eat as much as an American to kill the time spent waiting.

The game emphasizes different athletic skills than soccer (short bursts of very intense exertion versus sustained running over a long period of time), which is why (for example) track and field athletes have sometimes struggled when trying to make the jump to football. There's also a different strategy element resulting from the stop-and-start nature that fans of the game enjoy following. I'm sure it's pretty boring if you're unfamiliar with the details of the game but frankly, the same can be said of almost any team sport. Wink

Again true- but I think, becuase the 'footballers helmet' ect is such an iconic American image for you, you fail to notice how much it makes players look absolutely like complete and utter twats- the shoulder pads appear to be from the set of Dallas in 1980's (and to be from womens fashion!) and have the unfortunate effect of making peoples legs seem really narrow so they look like nails.
Whenever I see a team line up it makes me want to get a giant hammer.

Lance addressed the why of football pads very well in the Welcome thread, so I'll just point out that thinking a uniform looks cool or not is almost entirely a cultural thing. I still find soccer knee socks/shin guards on grown men to be pretty ridiculous looking since in America soccer is mostly seen as a children's and/or women's game. The last time I played soccer I was about four years old. But I understand that if I had been born in a country where soccer was a big deal, then I would likely have the opposite opinion.

Any proper game you should be able to recreate and play with a few mates and whatever comes to hand- so a slum kid in Brazil can grow up to be the greatest football player ever by learning to play kicking a ball of rags or rubbish about.
Tricky to organise an American football game if you have to round up some cheerleaders, a marching band and a PA system to announce calls before you even start the game!

That's an interesting definition of sport, to say the least. Is Formula 1 not a real sport anymore? Hell, what about tennis for that matter?

Yes, you do and you are! America is NOT the world! Mad

I'm sort of with you on this one as I mentioned yesterday, but as I also mentioned there is at least an understandable explanation for this.

For me thats the biggest difference between US sports and everyone elses- you dont take it seriously. Mad

I've never been sure if you're being serious on this point or not in all the years I've seen you repeat it, so I'll just let it be for now....
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm

short bursts of very intense exertion versus sustained running over a long period of time- Eldo

This seems to be a long winded way to say- they stop when they get tired, which is often. Mad

"There's also a different strategy element resulting from the stop-and-start nature that fans of the game enjoy following."

Is this a game strategy or a fan startegy so they can buy buckets of hotdogs to eat?
Why cant the players come up with strategies on the park- why does the whole thing need to grind to a halt so they can all go into a big huddle to discuss it?- its supposed to be a game not a bloody board (bored) meeting! Mad - football (real version) teams change formula, positions and staregies on the park without the game having to stop so everyone can troop off to have a nice chat over a cup of tea about it.

"Is Formula 1 not a real sport anymore? Hell, what about tennis for that matter?"

No on both counts- one is a testing ground for car parts for major maufacturers and the other is a game designed to give the middle classes something to do in the summer (which is complain about the price of strawberries). A rich man and a ponceys game respectively. Nod

"understandable explanation for this."

But not necessarily forgivable!

"I've never been sure if you're being serious on this point or not in all the years I've seen you repeat it"

Im a bit disapointed that by implications there are posts of mine when you are sure if I am serious. Shocked

In my neck of the woods the team I support represents the defeat of catholicism in the Uk and the establishment of a Protestant Monarch on the throne (and she's still there- although not the same monarch, but you know what I mean).
My teams biggest rivals stand for Irish immigrants and catholicism- they are opposed socially, politically, morally in some cases (abortion for example), and over most of all over the presence of a Protestant Monarch, and lastly they are opposed on the field of play.

How serious would you like your sport to be?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:This seems to be a long winded way to say- they stop when they get tired, which is often. Mad

Lolnope.

Is this a game strategy or a fan startegy so they can buy buckets of hotdogs to eat?
Why cant the players come up with strategies on the park- why does the whole thing need to grind to a halt so they can all go into a big huddle to discuss it?- its supposed to be a game not a bloody board (bored) meeting! Mad - football (real version) teams change formula, positions and staregies on the park without the game having to stop so everyone can troop off to have a nice chat over a cup of tea about it.

You're doing that thing again, you know, where you pretend something is stupid just because it's different from what you grew up with. Wink

No on both counts- one is a testing ground for car parts for major maufacturers and the other is a game designed to give the middle classes something to do in the summer (which is complain about the price of strawberries). A rich man and a ponceys game respectively. Nod

Ah shit, I didn't mean to tap into the British classes' barely repressed hatred for each other. Sorry, my bad.

But not necessarily forgivable!

If it bothers you that much.

...How serious would you like your sport to be?

Definitely not that serious.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 pm

You're doing that thing again, you know, where you pretend something is stupid just because it's different from what you grew up with.-Eldo

Mad Its not that its different its that its dumb in a game to sop it all the time. Its not good in a spectator sport for there to be nothing to spectate. Its obvious.

"I didn't mean to tap into the British classes' barely repressed hatred for each other"

You also seem to have missed a crucial point my comment spartly illustrate- there is only one proper sport in the world, and a few good games. Nod

"If it bothers you that much."

Not really, as I couldnt remember what it was but my reply seemed like a suitably crabbit one to give. Twisted Evil

"Definitely not that serious."

Exactly that makes my point- you just arent willing to make the effort to take it seriously and really work up some centuries old hatred into things and make it mean something.
Without that its just a bunch of men chasing a ball about- with it, it is *!@%*! war. And you have to take war seriously. Nod

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Opinions, opinions. Just because it isn't your sport doesn't mean it isn't a sport.

And hating someone over a game is dumb

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next