Squach
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
24 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

All things sporting - Page 6 Empty Re: All things sporting

Post by Ally Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Hey! we haven't even started qualifying for the world cup yet! Yesterday's match was for the euros- which tbh, I've never really liked. Mad Pretty sure that when we start for that, we are going to be so amazingly great, maybe even win a few games. Tend? The England and Wales cricket team ran by the England and Wales Cricket Board beat you all the time now in cricket! 2005, the last one...need I go on?

So yeah!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:26 pm

If we don't let England and Wales win occasionally, what's the point of there being a game at all? Rolling Eyes Mind you, if everyone played Aussie Rules, it wouldn't matter if we won everything, because the game itself brings joy to all. If Aussie Rules was the World Game, then the World Game would be worth watching. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 am

Wondering how long I can justify staying up to watch the text updates of the Murray/Nadal semi final. (Why oh why does everything I want to watch end up on sky sports?)Murray talking himself into a negative frame of mind at the mo! Mind Djokovic went 2 sets down before seeing Feds off!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 am

{{{ahem Kafria-http://www.stream2watch.com/index.php?option=com_videolist&view=video&Itemid=58&videoid=26242 - stream 2. I wasn't here}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:56 am

Kafria wrote:Wondering how long I can justify staying up to watch the text updates of the Murray/Nadal semi final. (Why oh why does everything I want to watch end up on sky sports?)Murray talking himself into a negative frame of mind at the mo! Mind Djokovic went 2 sets down before seeing Feds off!

I'd prefer sword fights to the death - otherwise individual sports don't interest me. {{{{{Umm... is that peppermint you're wearing, Kafria?}}}}

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:10 am

Man City 3 Wigan 0
Thats 4 wins out of 4 for the blue boys.
If only united stopped winning.
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:45 am

Ravens 35, Steelers 7. Suck on that, Pittsburgh! cheers

Now if the Cowboys can win tonight it'll have been a very good opening weekend indeed. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:55 am

Is that a movie you're watching, Eldo? Shouldn't Cowboys be fighting Indians? And Ravens are something in an Edgar Alan Poe horror movie? And Steelers are Americans who steal every other countries resources - but it would be a movie made in England or France, because no American film maker would admit it? Why is this on the Sporting Thread, btw?

What, Odo? Gridiron?

Okay, why is this on the Sporting Thread. Isn't it just a bunch of guys in helmets and other armor bumping into each other? How is that a sport? At least in Australia the guys bump bareback* and all that body touching and crunching could be deemed a sport of sorts...
(Go Melbourne Storm!!!!)

((((*Rugby and Union for the uninitiated... Rolling Eyes )))

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:47 am

Oh yeah, Aussie rules are just the bomb, not at all like lame American football. Riiiiight. Rolling Eyes
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Wisey Banks Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:58 am

Eldorion wrote:Oh yeah, Aussie rules are just the bomb, not at all like lame American football. Riiiiight. Rolling Eyes

Hootin'
scootin'
and
darn
tootin''! Nod

"Orwell's Apt Reply."

Wisey Banks

Chief Forumshire Channeller

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 am

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:05 am

College-BYU 16- Texas 17 Mad , Utah 14-USC 23 NNNNNOOOOO!
NFL-Green Bay 42- New Orleans 34. Sucks for Saints, awesome for The Pack! Very Happy
49ers 33-Seahawks 17, let's keep that going! cheers

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:44 am

Sleep

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Now you know how I feel about your rugby and soccer posts. Very Happy

Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't thnk I'll ever get this. Which team do you support Lorient?! The first result seems to upset you. You seem happy for the Packers and the 49ers?
How does this so called sport work? How are you meant to know who to hate and villify? Evil or Very Mad This is why its not a proper sport you know.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Well BYU and Utah are the two teams that I grew up closest to, so I have always liked them, except when they play eachother, then I go for BYU. But they are only college teams.
The 49ers are my all time favorite pro team because my family likes them so I grew up liking them. I like the Packers because I lived only an hour away from Green Bsy for 3 years. Like BYU though, I will root for the Niners when they play the Pack.

Usually, as with anywhere else, Most people will like the team their family likes or the one closest to them. Like Eldo likes Baltimore and he's from Maryland. Other times if you are from a place like Utah, which has no NFL teams, people just choose a team, sometimes it's the closest, other times its just sone random team. A lot of people choose the teams that do the best, which I think is stupid. People also tend to have multiple teams they like.

Most teams have their rivals, Baltimore and Pittsburgh, 49ers and Cowboys, Packers and Vikings/Bears. The rival of your team is usually the one you can't stand. Other times a team might do something against your team that makes you dislike them. For example: The New York Giants beat the Packers a few years ago and prevented them from getting into the Super Bowl, as a consequence, I will forever hate the Giants. Other times you just may not like a team's players or coach. There are many Packer fans who hated the Jets because they had Brett Favre on their team. A lot of people hate the New England Patriots because their coach cheated a few years ago.
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Was that the coach that tripped the guy up as he ran past? 'Cause thats the most entertaing bit of American Football Ive ever seen! Very Happy

In real football you tend to support one team and hate all the others and have at least one rival team you really, really hate (usually from the same city- so in Scotland thats Rangers/Celtic- Glasgow teams- these are known as derby matches In England you'd get say Man Utd and Man City). The idea of supporting any other team for any other reason is just not football. Its much more tribal than that.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorient Avandi Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Was that the coach that tripped the guy up as he ran past? 'Cause thats the most entertaing bit of American Football Ive ever seen! Very Happy

No, the coach I was referring to had people go out and video tape other teams while they practiced, so that he would know exactly how their gameplan would go. His team almost went undefeated that year, beating everyone they faced except for the New York Giants in the Super Bowl.

But your right, that other coach was pretty hilarious! Laughing
Lorient Avandi
Lorient Avandi
Wizard of Magicland

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:In real football you tend to support one team and hate all the others and have at least one rival team you really, really hate (usually from the same city- so in Scotland thats Rangers/Celtic- Glasgow teams- these are known as derby matches In England you'd get say Man Utd and Man City).

The only city in the U.S. with two pro teams that I can think of offhand is New York City, which has both the Giants and the Jets (going back to the days when there two pro leagues; they both wanted a foot in the door of NYC). I don't know how much of a rivarly they have, though. In Maryland, there is something of a rivalry between the Baltimore Ravens and the Washington (D.C.) Redskins because in the '80s and '90s after the Colts left and when Baltimore didn't have a team, the Redskins tried to co-opt Baltimore and even moved their stadium across the border into Maryland. Evil or Very Mad Then the Ravens abandoned Cleveland and came to Baltimore so us Baltimorons have a team to root for again. Very Happy Southern Maryland, in the area around D.C., is still heavily Redskins territory, and fans of both teams don't tend to appreciate the other.

Of course, the mother of all American football rivalries has to be (with all due respect to Bears/Packers) the Cowboys/Redskins rivalry. They're in the same division, NFC East, and to be honest all of the teams in that division hate each other, but the Cowboys and Redskins have been going at it for over 50 years. At one point the Cowboys bought the rights to the Redskins fight song so that the Redskins couldn't play it at games. Laughing Both teams pretty much suck lately, though, so there's not much for either side to gloat about. pale
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:14 am

Derby games in Scotland end to be vicous affairs where players leave the boot in, tempers fray and the atmosphere is unbearably tense and viterolic. And of course the 'Old Firm' derby match of Rangers v Celtic is the oldest in the world and particulary tense.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 am

It's like watching ice hockey! cheers
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:19 am

Then you should enjoy this- highlights from the last Old Firm match- my side lost but we won the league anyway! cheers Gives a good impression of how excitable these games can be.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:35 am

I couldn't remember which team you supported, but then I saw the Rangers start mobbing the ref in a fit of crabbit at 5:50 in the video, and I knew that they had to be yours. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 am

lol!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:05 am

Now, your Lady's game can be quite spiteful, that's obvious, but why not show how the men play, Petty? I bet some wrists get slapped - and quite hard - in the mens game, that is.... Laughing

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next