David H
Ally
halfwise
Lancebloke
CC12 35
19 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [3]

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Ah, the double peg system: more friction. I guess it's only tradition that keeps violins from being made this way.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Things that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 Empty Re: Things that are making you crabbit! [3]

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah. It would be slightly harder to fit the whole system into the small space of the violin scroll, also. It would make it more bulkier and far less pretty.

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:09 pm

yes, what squach said.

professional violinists only have fine tuners on the E string (the highest ones) and only have the pegs on the rest because it is said to be be better sound (because less stuff on the violin). the pegs can be a bitch to tune, they slip and well.. if they are well-made they ain't a problem, and u can put a special balm to make it "slide" better. my peg is poorly made (violin makers have a devise to measure the "roundness" so that the pegs fit, but my violin was bought in DDR so.. Shrugging ) but my pegs doesn't fit and the a one is completely tuck between just too high and hust too low (and we're talking millimeters and less, fine fine lines here). and i have the "professional" way with only one fine tuner.

when you tune a violin u tune it in fifths. first u tune the a after a piano, most pianos are tuned with an A at 442 Hz but those sound forks are 440 Hz (more baroque) then u play two and two strings together. you're listening for that third nte u can here when the tuning is just right between them. and as i said. millimeter and less.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 pm

halfwise wrote:All the time I've spent with musicians I never noticed them using the fine tuners.  Well I'll be. Pokey Tongue 

Now I'm gonna have to go look up why guitar pegs don't slip.
professionals only have one fine tuner, it is said to be better sound. not really of course, but yeah. i would love to have all four fine tuners.. cus my violin argues.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

cus my violin argues - Norc

A crabbit violin! I love it. cheers(Have you tried oiling it with buckie?)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

halfwise wrote:Ah, the double peg system: more friction.  I guess it's only tradition that keeps violins from being made this way.
double peg system? not sure i am following. 
Squach wrote:Yeah. It would be slightly harder to fit the whole system into the small space of the violin scroll, also. It would make it more bulkier and far less pretty.
welll.. there is the harding fiddle that has bottom strings and other ("extinct") instruments that has loads of pegs and double strings (resonance strings). makes an awesome sound. the harding fiddle they used in Two towers was tuned like a normal violin so the effect is lost.
Things that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 4342detailThings that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 3965527408_ef48ee9394_zThings that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbrNB2Ww75uFKxuFxeFYxZ3SiRqc8Fvnigh7HhjEPXJeDc8mxw
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:cus my violin argues - Norc

A crabbit violin! I love it. cheers(Have you tried oiling it with buckie?)
tried chalk, pencils and that special balm thing that looks like a lipstick.

of course it's crabbit. it's made in DDR.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 pm

Things that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 Pegs

one version of the double peg thingy - this one is used more on classical guitars.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 pm

this is pretty much the same mechanism, but used mostly on acoustic guitars/electrics.

Things that are making you crabbit! [3] - Page 35 Guitarpeg

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 pm

the two pegs stop the string from slipping. I assume this was developed for guitar because more strain is put on the strings from strumming. (?)

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 pm

yeah, ok, i got it.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:31 pm

If you want to know something that is a bitch to tune, a guitar with a floyd rose floating tremolo system (the whammy bar).

Music theory on guitar can be as technical as you want it to be. From picking styles to ridiculous chord and string theory. I have no idea about theory for violin but I imagine a chunk of it is the same and is transferable. Chords are just the next progression after scales really.

And halfy, did you mean an f chord with a dimished 7th with a d chucked in there for good luck? Bet that sounds exotic.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Lancebloke wrote:I have no idea about theory for violin but I imagine a chunk of it is the same and is transferable. Chords are just the next progression after scales really.
Rolling Eyes peasants ...

did u read my reply? u gotta listen for the "third" note that magically appears when you play two and two strings together and they are in tune. and with wibbly wobbly stupid east-german pegs.. not that easy. not to mention... theory. when it comes to music theory, scales, chords and sheet music, rythm etc- etc- it's all the same.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 pm

You should try that Floyd rose then. Made me want to smash up a guitar several times. I dont have one of those any more.

Music theory is all the same to a point. I assume there are things you can do with a bow that you cant with a pick, and vice versa.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 pm

i can pick a violin Shrugging
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm

pizzicato ftw Smile

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 pm

I meant a guitar pick.... plectrum... the little plastic thing. Like picking a pinched harmonic maybe...?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 pm

Squach wrote:pizzicato ftw Smile
:nod:molto espressivo !

here have a listen what violins+violas+cellos can do Wink (i've played that piece in a chamber orchestra and a bigger one)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Lancebloke wrote:I meant a guitar pick.... plectrum... the little plastic thing. Like picking a pinched harmonic maybe...?
yeah, but u use fingers at guitar too, which frankly, is much more impressive.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm

hehe ^_^ me like.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Depends what you are trying to achieve really. Finger picking is very different to using a plectrum. People that can do one amazingly well cannot nesecarily do the other with much competence.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I much prefer using my fingers as i'm not very useful at picking the right strings with a plec.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 pm

Lancebloke wrote:
And halfy, did you mean an f chord with a dimished 7th with a d chucked in there for good luck? Bet that sounds exotic.
In pop notation the D is in the base. A full diminished F chord with a D in the base is actually a diminished d 7+9; a bad example. Oh well.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 pm

using a plecter sounds awful.. i think one at least should wait a bit with plecter or els you don't get the music-feel right and it just becomes noisy. u probably can use plecter on a violin, although i finger gives better and more meaty sound.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Squach... im not great at finger picking but have been trying a few songs. Have you seen people like andy mckee or sungja jung? Or if you like some flamenco sounds then paco de Lucia.

Using a pick isnt easy and you need to be far more accurate, especially when you are playing at speed or getting in to string skipping techniques.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next