azriel
Elthir
Norc
Pettytyrant101
RA
16 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Stephen Colbert questions Jackson - Page 4 Empty Re: Stephen Colbert questions Jackson

Post by Norc Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Stephen Colbert questions Jackson - Page 4 Empty Re: Stephen Colbert questions Jackson

Post by Elthir Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Most folk only 'need' the correct Quenya plurals when talking/typing about the clans. This is a printable cheat sheet of some clan names to save you from embarrassing slip ups at dinner parties. Plural is to the left of this [].

Vanyar [] Vanya
Noldor [] Noldo
Lindar [] Linda
Nandor [] Nando
Sindar [] Sinda
but
Teleri [] Teler
Avari [] Avar

Last edited by Elthir on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:45 pm

i am gonna say it.

who the hell is such a big tolkien fan that he corrects plural elvish nouns?! Elthir apparently. 

(btw, i have huge respect for u man )
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:59 pm

In theory it's for dinner parties. I don't usually go to dinner parties, but when I do no one talks about Tolkien's Elvish clans for some reason. Of course one can utter 'Tauriel is an Avari' at any social function. The cheat sheet is for those who wish to avoid such language.

Stephen Colbert is on Television too. If he ever reads this thread he might want to know.

Plus here I am under contract to mention such things. Or so I assume, if there was a contract.

In any case I have to at least appear loremasterish, and such pedantic details can really help with that.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

do u speak elvish? pedich edhelen? i do a bit. i know certain words. like miriel means jewel. and wilwarin means butterfly. gil is star
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

I do not speak any Elvish tongue... but that depends upon what is meant by 'speak Elvish' Smile

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:37 am

<deleted>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Plus

Eldar [] Elda
but
Istari [] Istar

Those are used often enough too. Plus Uruk-hai is already plural, as is Rohirrim. Use Rohir for singular, as in Elrohir.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 pm

One mummerkill

Two mummerkills
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Or one Oliphaunt

versus many Oliphauntleroy

Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Probably the wrong thread... but this is for Petty and me... we should have Jackson's words about this 'on file' other than on TORN.

I just watched the interview again and here Jackson does restate the idea that [from what he understands 'you should tell me actually' (to Stephen Colbert)]... the Appendices... 'were they kinda like notes that he was preparing to do a revised version of The Hobbit?' adding that... 'that was the story that I heard'.  And even adds: it's a question that he's been 'wondering for quite a few years'.

I would have said 'wondering about for quite a few years' but I don't think I heard 'about' in there. Anyway, message is clear enough... although I would have said 'the message is clear enough'... oh wait that part was me.

Anyway, Petty knows why.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Yikes.  Looks like our ambassadorial efforts have been successful at getting the word out, but less so at presenting a friendly image.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=772245;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;

Last edited by Eldorion on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:47 pm

In my defense I was not trying to promote or represent Forumshire in my angry post. Shrugging

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Well you didn't bring up Forumshire, but clearly there are a number of regulars on TORn who know of this place, know which people frequent both our sites, and have rather strong feelings about it. Razz I don't particularly care for the misrepresentation of our site in those comments, but it's nothing that hasn't happened in reverse in discussions of TORn on here a million times.  And an reaction is to be expected when you go on another forum and start bashing it. Shrugging

I'm not trying to get on your case or anything bungo, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyway here you have that neat owl in the snow Bungo.

I like it!
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Petty has been telling people over at TORn that I bite his bum. Mad it only happened once over the grass length débâcle.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Some folks do seem a mite upset at us over there. But thats fair enough, its their prerogative.
Some folks have commented strongly about TorN on here in the past as Eldo points out and so we can hardly grumble about it.
Meet crabbit with crabbit I say.
And me calling PJ a liar over there, well he is, over the misrepresentation of the appendices as Tolkiens Hobbit notes seems to have deflected their crabbit from our little forum to me specifically. Which is better and much more fun.

'Petty has been telling people over at TORn that I bite his bum.'-Figg

Embarassed Um, yes well, figuratively Mrs Figg, only figuratively.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Maybe Eldo should bestow you some sort of diplomatic title, Petty. Then at least you'd have diplomatic immunity as protection over there.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:57 pm

So encrusted with old buckie and the fat from deep fried battered pizzas is my kilt it can also double as a handy impenetrable shield Twisted Evil

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Since I hold no official position in Her Majesty's Governement I can make no promises, but...

I've said too much..

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:27 am

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:30 am

Elthir wrote:Anyway here you have that neat owl in the snow Bungo.

I like it!

Me too. Smile

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:39 am

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 pm

bungobaggins wrote:

Weell, I'm not sure diplomatic immunity ever protected one from being the victim criminal acts in the recieving country. Then you rather have to look for protection from the receivings countrys internal laws.

On the other hand it does unconditionally defend you from prosecution for criminal acts by the recieving country, who's only possible reaction is to expell said diplomat. That's only as long as you hold your diplomatic position though, and that might be removed by your home country in cases of serious crimes.

Also most countries tend to prosecute their nationals for criminal acts conducted also outside it's borders, so one might very well face prosecution there after returning from expulsion.

So a pretty straightforward rule, with not so straightforward consequences.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next