Mrs Figg
Norc
Pettytyrant101
15 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Doctor Who [4] - Page 40 Empty Re: Doctor Who [4]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Ah I see- new hearts- regeneration literally means what it says- every single cell in the body regnerates into a new cell- the Doctor retains the memory but his brain for example is wired dfferently everytime- accounting for the different personalities.
His hearts like every other cell in his body are new.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

so how does he even survive? without a heart during the process

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Well whilst it can sometimes take a while for the regen process to reach its crisis point- the moment the body would normally die- the regenreation process from then on only lasts seconds- so the Doctor at worse would effectively be brain dead and heart stopped for a second or so at the very most- and the process is generally not smooth, with misplaced memories, full on amnesia twice, comatosed once, disorientation, personality swings, hyper active behaviour- the Doctor has displayed all these things immediately after regen.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm

if effectively the doctor doesnt exist for a split second how are memories transfered?

and surely emotions/feelings would be transffered 2

i.e the newest doctor still loves rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Same memories- and Time Lords can trap and preserve memory anyway so just assume they have some clever way of transferring it as part of the process (remember regen is not a natural process of their race- its the ultimate biotech)- but a new body, so the memory of old emotions remains, but the new body doesnt have the connections of the old one, new hormone levels and everything ect, new tastes.
The Doctor tends to remain fond of the same people as he did before regen, but his releationshp to them aways changes with each regen.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 pm

i dont really care

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I never for a moment thought you did CC. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 pm

For those still not sure of the plot to last weeks episode I refer you to the Moffat reply of ask a child-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 pm

"What exactly does it mean to "BE" in the Who world?
For example why is current Rory considered to "be" plastic soldier Rory, who is in turn considered to "be" suckedthroughcrack Rory, when Angel Bob who has continuous memories, including the pain of his own death, not considere to "be" soldier Bob?
It's clearly not about the continuity of the physical bodies. Rory's body has nothing at all to do with his old one that ceased to "be". - David"

Been thinking how best to word this- first Bob is the same Bob, there is continuity, the Doctor says to him "I am sorry you died Bob. But I promise to whatever is left of you they will be sorrier."

The continuity of Rory, for want of a better word, is his soul not just his memories.
Rory died and got absorbed by the crack- Amy who has had the universe and time pouring through her head has the ability to bring back things lost to the crack-her parents and Rory.
It is this ability, unbeknown to the alliance of bad guys, that mean when they took a pshyic impression of her mind and used it to construct the scenario to trap the Doctor they got Rory too- at least they got Rory's soul as well as his physical appearence replicated by the Nesstene Conciousness out of plastic. They got the Rory that had gone into the crack, but shoved into a replicate body wiith programming, which he has to fight.
When that reality ended Amy restored everything she knew to her universe- Rory, her parents and eventually the Doctor.

For Amy all versions of her life are in her head because she was involved in all of them, had the crack in time in her head and travels in the TARDIS, so can retain memory of alternate timelines- so the Rory she restored to the universe also has the memories of what the other versions of him did. Amy restores him complete with memories fromt he crack so it the same Rory who died and got absorbed originally.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Amariƫ wrote:Just ignore everything that has to do with the Ponds. Hopefully we'll never have to hear about them again.
not likely! Laughing
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:For those still not sure of the plot to last weeks episode I refer you to the Moffat reply of ask a child-

that's adorable ^^ and look, sylvester mcCoy Very Happy
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm

In response to recent comments about the Ponds I put up this- (even my cats were crying-such fond memories)- contains spoilers for the entire Pond era.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
Dave I really think you are reading into to it more than is necessary-

Probably. I've been told this before. Moffat seems to invite it though, doesn't he? Wink

[[and thanks for holding down the fort while I was away CC! [bro fist!] ]]

OK for now I'm happy to except your explanation of "being", of Angel Bob, and of Amy as a sleeping Buddha dreaming all of us all into "being". I just have to point out that you had to bring immortal souls into the model to glue it all together. That moves Who into the fringes of religious allegory, which is always going to be a bit contentious.

Stepping out-world now, I really have no problem at all with writers killing off main characters as long as it serves a purpose within the story and is well handled. Exactly the same as I feel about cliff-dangling and impossible falls.

For example I'd love to have seen Roman Rory get a spin-off series of a dozen episodes, where he lives a Highlander-like life, trying to blend into 2000 years of English history, all the while guarding the pandorica and trying to come to terms with his own identity and his guilt for killing the woman he loves. At the end if that time and character arc when Amy returns, they could fall in love all over again as who they've become.

But instead their deaths are handled about as casually as the deaths of red-shirts in Star Trek or the death of Kenny in Southpark. They're actually used for gag-lines! I can't think of anything more that a writer could do to send the message, "Do NOT get sympathetically involved with these characters!"

(BTW One reason I'm probably digging a little deeper than usual is I'm trying to find a theory as to why the Ponds seem to be so divisive. I wish Mrs Figg where here. I know she could help! Twisted Evil)

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm

For example I'd love to have seen Roman Rory get a spin-off series of a dozen episodes, where he lives a Highlander-like life, trying to blend into 2000 years of English history, all the while guarding the pandorica and trying to come to terms with his own identity and his guilt for killing the woman he loves. At the end if that time and character arc when Amy returns, they could fall in love all over again as who they've become.- David

In classic Who you probably would have got all that in the story- but like much of classic Who the one story would have lasted the entire series, with some, lets face it, rather contrived cliffhangers turning up just on time for episode breaks.

But instead their deaths are handled about as casually as the deaths of red-shirts in Star Trek or the death of Kenny in Southpark.- David

I wouldnt agree there regards series 5- when Rory is killed in Amy Choice in the dreamwolrd it has a deep and lasting effect on Amy- resulting in their marriage.
And when he dies for real she is so distraught the Doctor has to drag her screaming and crying into the TARDIS and lock the door to keep her there and physically restrain her.
After that only the Doctor can remember he existed at all so there is a plot reason for no one mourning him.
And when Amy is put in the Pandorica it has a lasting effect on Rory who chooses to stay and protect her for 2000 years.

I'm trying to find a theory as to why the Ponds seem to be so divisive- David

In all the dislike of Amy I have seen voiced the nature of 'being' in the Who universe and quantum physics have never come up- perhaps you are taking to male a perspective here?
Mrs Figg often seems to voice a belief Amy is somehow an anti-woman character. And a victim.
(There is truth in her being a victim, but not I think in acting or reacting like a victim- bad things happen to her out of her control, her life is messed with beyond the pale, but I'd say she survives and grows in spite of that and in the end is complete and triumpant in her own self- but I supect series 6 is the more contentous one for that regards Amy)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 am

So I'm almost afraid to ask..... but.....

How many times do the Writers kill Rory? pale
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 01, 2013 1:41 am

A contenous issue- depends what you include you see- dreams, alternate realities and time lines.

But we are straying into series 6 and 7 territory here.
Best waiting till youve watched some of them.

Meant to ask did I give a Christmas Carol too- the xmas ep? If so it goes between series 5 and 6.

----------

Discussion continues here: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t655-doctor-who-5

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40