Norc
Ally
MeikoElektra
azriel
Eldorion
28 posters

Page 13 of 26 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next

Go down

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 13 Empty Re: 'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Norc Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 am

I am glad you liked it the second time around, I much agree with you, though I liked the bynnt sled and the stone giangs (the giants were just as I imagend). Also, it does drag and one cannot help notice how insanly many stray offs there is and flashbacks that cut the story, although, they do work to some extenct. I loved it actually more too the second time. First i was talking jibberish in exitement and focused on all the things I hoped Petty would give a thumbs up too and be crabbit about and yeah.. I love it though, still most liberal Razz
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 13 Empty Re: 'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Bofur and Balin were definitely portrayed as the most sympathetic, though part of the reason I liked them was just that they had any characterization at all. I was paying attention and Bombur did not have a single word of dialogue. Just a lot of grunting and a little bit of incoherent yelling. Yet somehow he still had more of a character than, say, Bifur the Axe-head or Ori/Nori/Dori. Rolling Eyes

It's a fun movie though. I haven't talked as much about the parts I did like but there were several. Other than the performances, the color editing has improved immensely since the first trailers, and the film is definitely visually impressive. Other than the visuals though, I still think it pales in comparison to LOTR though. The overuse of musical cues from the trilogy doesn't do it any favor.

When Thorin was in the middle of one of his bitching sessions about the Elves, asking why they didn't help when Erebor was destroyed, I leaned over to my brother and whispered "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?!" He's not a big LOTR geek but he got the reference and we both laughed as quietly as we could at it. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I think that TH:UJ is actually a better film than FotR.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Oddly I sort of agree Ally- the Tolkien bits of TH are better than the Tolkien based bits in FotR.
But the PJ made up sh*te fest in TH is also way worse than the made up sh*te fest in FotR, unfortuntely.
The price it seems for a more accurate representation of Tolkien is more sh*te dreamt up by PJ, by the shovel load.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:Bofur and Balin were definitely portrayed as the most sympathetic, though part of the reason I liked them was just that they had any characterization at all. I was paying attention and Bombur did not have a single word of dialogue. Just a lot of grunting and a little bit of incoherent yelling. Yet somehow he still had more of a character than, say, Bifur the Axe-head or Ori/Nori/Dori. Rolling Eyes

It's a fun movie though. I haven't talked as much about the parts I did like but there were several. Other than the performances, the color editing has improved immensely since the first trailers, and the film is definitely visually impressive. Other than the visuals though, I still think it pales in comparison to LOTR though. The overuse of musical cues from the trilogy doesn't do it any favor.

When Thorin was in the middle of one of his bitching sessions about the Elves, asking why they didn't help when Erebor was destroyed, I leaned over to my brother and whispered "Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell?!" He's not a big LOTR geek but he got the reference and we both laughed as quietly as we could at it. Razz

Well, I remember the actor who played Bifur wanted him to do these odd things, though they didn't come through in the movie. He asked if they could place some fresh flowers at the table and he would like eat it. Remember when in rivendell he tries to grill a piece of salad. just saying, it could've been great, really, if youd see him in the background doing these odd things. (I know this cus I have the official movie guide) The actor who plays Bombur tries to act through just eyes. He's a simple character, he likes good food and good drink and well... he enjoys life, and that's kind who he is, and he's happy about it. The Dori, Nori and Ori dilemma though. My impression of Dori is that he's very much like the older brother and very pedantic. Nori was supposed to be the mischievous, though I didn't see anything of that, maybe later.. Ori was just adorably, geeky and well... cute. (though I dwarf shouldn't be cute)

the Gondor reference though Laughing
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

TH may or may not be better than FOTR from a technical stand point but the way it made me feel is WORLDS and I mean GALAXIES apart.
FOTR made me feel stuff a lot of stuff. It was brilliant from the start, it just conjured up Middle Earth for me. In TH I got no sense of *sigh* I am back in Bagend, and that hurt. In TH there were no Frodo moments (where he just turns to the camera and it breaks your heart) there were no characters that moved me, (like Boromir trying to explain his love for Minas Tirith to Aragorn, or his 'Captain' speech), in TH nothing grabbed me by the goolies. So thats my own personal measure.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Norc wrote:oh, God. You guys have high hopes Very Happy I went straight to bed when I got home... but I will write something.. I am just sooo sleepy.
for now at least:

I don't know why I worried. I mean srlsy.. They added thing, yes, but it is mixed so beautifully into it, you hardly notice it. and so much of the original Tolkien dialogue is kept and text. Don't bother with 48fps, the normal one was just as good. And I thought there wasn't going to be any real plot, but there was some Smile Bilbo finding himself etc. etc. I could list on one hand the changes they did, and they are few and you hardly notice them. oh, yeah, Lindir has a bigger role than expected. I guess Petty will find something to hold on to and complain an be crabbit about, but.. normal people will love it. Also, don't worry about Smaug, what we see of him in the trailer is about the same we see of him in the movie. (thank god). But he does look rather dark, but this may be just so we're gonna be extra wowed. There are hints of red... Radagast was actually a nice surprise, and I welcomed him Smile the bunny sledge was freaking awesome, I want one. The way they incorporated him was very smoothly and it didn't really mess up the story line or anything. naah.. no need to worry as I said and enjoy it. I am seeing it again in 3D on friday so I'll give a more spoiler review then perhaps. Smile

sorry to disappoint you without gifs and swearing, but I am way too tired and on the wrong laptop. Also this is a serious matter and needs a serious approach Wink

The Radagast scene was more in line with the feel of the book than any other part of the film

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Which Radagast scene: the one where he smokes marijuana, or the one where he rides his bunny sled around like it's an amusement park ride? Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Magic! Ghosts! Sled-drawing Rabbits! That's like 100 percent geniune tokien

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 pm

benedict saying Radagast was the highlight for me.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm

CC12 35 wrote:The Radagast scene was more in line with the feel of the book than any other part of the film

I agree to a point. There were several other parts that captured the 'feel' of the book, but I reckon the Radagast stuff did as well. The rabbits were certainly the clever animals that one would expect to find at Beorn's house. Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

By the way, I think the Gandalf of the film was very like how I imagined the Gandalf of the book. Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm

You really should watch the purist Hobbit Orwell- I think you will like it even more.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Orwell wrote:By the way, I think the Gandalf of the film was very like how I imagined the Gandalf of the book. Nod

A nod from me as well Nod Loved how magical he was in The Hobbit, just like he was in the book.

'An Unexpected Journey' in theatres | SPOILER THREAD - Page 13 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Yeah, I think that Gandalf had more of his sharper, sometimes quick-tempered side in AUJ. It was nice to see that side of McKellen's performance. Before and during the party though he was straight-up trolling Bilbo. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Gandalf the White is boring.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm

White is definitely not my favorite Gandalf. I think FOTR still has my favorite Gandalf performance. It edges out AUJ narrowly because it has the "What to do with the time that is given to us" speech. Cool
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

oh yeah, that always gets me Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Norc wrote:Gandalf the White is boring.

how very dare you! Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 pm

I got to say I liked Gandalf in TH- more than in any of the other films- he's got some of his crabbit back and is all the better for it. Twisted Evil It was sadly almost entirely missing in his twinkly eyed LotR's performance, even as the Grey.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I got to say I liked Gandalf in TH- more than in any of the other films- he's got some of his crabbit back and is all the better for it. Twisted Evil It was sadly almost entirely missing in his twinkly eyed LotR's performance, even as the Grey.

how very dare you. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

White and grey... grey and white...

I'm not interested in such things for the moment
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:52 pm

FEAR FIRE FOES!!!! Bree is under attack from Saruman! affraid
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

help
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:FEAR FIRE FOES!!!! Bree is under attack from Saruman! affraid
It's true. No
We have to do something. I'm hiding out here till it's over Sofa

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 26 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 26  Next