RA
Mrs Figg
Orwell
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
21 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 pm

watching The Hobbit trilogy before the LOTR trilogy will be seen the
same way that watching the Star Wars prequels before the originals is
seen today.- Eldo

As a bad idea? (With SW its a good way to ruin three good films by watching 3 shit ones first)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Empty Re: More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD

Post by Eldorion Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes. IV-V-VI-I-II-III or bust.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:26 am

Eldorion wrote:
Norc wrote:what do you mean bt that Suspect ... Benedict is far more preferable than Orli-wan-kenobi.

Eh? Young Obi-Wan was played by Ewan MacGregor, thank you very much. Mad

it was a joke, sort of. I saw a "poster" once with Legolas on and it said Orli wan Kenobi. And since leggi always says such "wise" things it's a nice fit.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 am

Eldorion wrote:
Mrs Figg wrote:and you are right Eldo, they have done a great job with continuity for Frodo, it looks like the same wig and clothes to me.

I assume they made a fresh set of wigs and costumes but the accuracy really is remarkable. I do wonder how many sets and props they were able to reuse though. I recall reading that Jackson took the Bag End set home after LOTR was done and used it as a guest house. Laughing

I don't think that is true, as it's just props, not a house . Though I would love to have something like that in my garage.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:44 am

Thats a big dwarf ?

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Issue_10

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Issue_11

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:43 am

yepp. In Lotr Joh Rhys Davis was the tallest of em all.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 am

Is this Smaug ?

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Plushd10

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 am

It better not be! Banghead

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:56 am

chris63 wrote:Thats a big dwarf ?

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Issue_10

Dwarves are a race, Chris. So don't be Sizebigoted, Chris. 'cause no one here likes Sizebigots! Mad {{{Especially pipsqueaks! No }}}

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Better quality pic of Bolg-

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Bolg-1-973x1024

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 665746_3792062364856_854865444_o

Quality of pic might be better- still looks bloody awful though. He appears to have suffered a head injury that has been repeaired by hammering metal into his head- what is it with PJ and sticking metal in peoples faces?!

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm

I like him.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Mad

Need a Lore Check! He looks more Uruk-Hai size than TH goblin - where there Uruk-Hai in this time period?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 pm

As much as he looks scarey, he just looks like a full "man size" model advertising the local "Games Workshop", he'd fit in with "War Hammer", but doesnt fill my opinion of a Tolkien Orc,or Goblin,or any other Beast, either from Mordor, Mirkwood or anywhere else. IMO,its OTT. He'd fit better in a Sci-Fi film about Hunters on a far,(VERY far PJ) planet.

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:43 pm

I think PJ has taken a big chunk of 'inspiration' from Games Workshop- add to this Dwarves with mohicans riding boars and it could be staright off the tabletop.

I always got the impression before the Uruk-Hai that orcs were like neds- kind of pathetic on their own and only dangerous in gangs.
After all Denethor seems pretty incredulous Boromir could have been killed "with only orcs to withstand him".

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Mad

Need a Lore Check! He looks more Uruk-Hai size than TH goblin - where there Uruk-Hai in this time period?

The Uruk-hai originated in Mordor about 500 years before The Hobbit but had spread considerably since then. It's generally theorized that the Great Goblin was an Uruk due to his size and it's hardly inconceivable that there were others in the Misty Mountains.

I always got the impression before the Uruk-Hai that orcs were like neds- kind of pathetic on their own and only dangerous in gangs.
After all Denethor seems pretty incredulous Boromir could have been killed "with only orcs to withstand him".

Orcs were looked down on at various points, but Orcs operating on their own could be a pretty serious threat. They made a lot of trouble for the dwarves in their war without any significant help from Sauron. Orc raids on Rohan and Gondor were also significant threats, though they were always repelled eventually. To be fair though, those were all large groups of Orcs, so your point might still stand.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks Eldo.
I seem to remember that after Boromir is killed the Uruks are pretty boastful at slaying the great warrior- even though the orcs seriously outnumber him and I got the impression without the presence of Uruks Boromir could have slayed normal orcs all day long.
Also in Mordor Frodo and Sam dont have much troubler finding orc gear to fit.

Of course PJ has an other self made problem as he appears to show Saruman 'birthing' the Uruk-Hai as if they are something new in FotR.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm

I wasn't bothered by saruman spawning orcs since he was accused of blending men and orcs, and Uruks were strongly associated with orthanc. I don't see that authenticity was really violated by this.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, that complaint has been made so many times that it lacks much bite anymore, but the main complaint is that it gives the impression that Orcs reproduce asexually and it also obscures the book-origin of Uruks (who were distinct from Saruman's half-orc breeds) in Mordor several centuries prior.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 665746_3792062364856_854865444_o

He appears to have suffered a head injury that has been repeaired by hammering metal into his head- what is it with PJ and sticking metal in peoples faces?!

This may be what an orc head looks like after 18 holes of golf? Suspect
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I must check with Queen Tin David but I believe golf is easier (though possibly less fun) if the head is removed from the body first!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Eldorion wrote:Well, that complaint has been made so many times that it lacks much bite anymore, but the main complaint is that it gives the impression that Orcs reproduce asexually and it also obscures the book-origin of Uruks (who were distinct from Saruman's half-orc breeds) in Mordor several centuries prior.

I thought orcs were spawned. That's asexual I believe. never heard of a lady orc (though I may have dated one).

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Looking at the larger image again, I think I figured out part of what was bothering me about it (besides the obvious Rolling Eyes). The face appears to have a muzzle of sorts: the mouth and nose look like they protrude oddly, like a dog. Maybe I'm imagining but it but Bolg just seems way more animalistic in his design than the orcs from LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 pm

halfwise wrote:I thought orcs were spawned. That's asexual I believe. never heard of a lady orc (though I may have dated one).

Cross-posting with Halfwise. Smile Tolkien commented in The Silmarillion (I think) that Orcs reproduced "after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar", which is to say, sexually. I can go find the actual page number of this for you when I get home if you like. In the unpublished Munby letter he said that there "must have been orc-women" but doesn't go into detail about their societies (indirect citation). There's not much known about Orcs beyond their warfare but I think Tolkien was pretty consistent on this point.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 pm

but Bolg just seems way more animalistic in his design than the orcs from LOTR- Eldo

I agree Eldo- I was going to mention earlier that the face reminded me a bit of something from Planet of the Apes rather than an orc but your description is better.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Actually, I think your Planet of the Apes comparison is a very apt one. The face is reminiscent of the old school ape prosthetics.

More Hobbit pictures [2] SPOILER THREAD - Page 22 Planet-of-the-apes-1968--00-645-75
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next